gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:26:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love "Wild Honey Tour" in Europe  (Read 56863 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2017, 09:10:39 AM »

Mike doing "Lady Lynda" is a bit like when he popped up doing "Surf's Up" in the UK a couple years ago. Both songs are songs very strongly identified in one way or another with something and/or someone that Mike has been antagonistic towards in the past, and in both cases he also had band members poached from Brian's band singing them.

I think from the fan perspective you either immediately "get" why that's viscerally and contextually off and why it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth (and different from Mike having his guys sing "I Can Hear Music" or "Darlin'" or whatever), or you don't get it and it's all good and five different Beach Boys doing 100 different songs in five different bands is cool.

Another thing that is weird about it: post-Lynda breakup, Al clearly has had some issues with the song being sung with its original lyric, which must obviously be due to some difficult feelings about singing specifically about an ex (and her name, specifically). So even though the song was somewhat of a hit, and somewhat beloved to the point that the band continued playing it occasionally, it was surely Al who made the decision to change the name and lyric to something he felt more comfortable that the song would be presented as. Al's prerogative, which again, must have been based on some difficult feelings.

It seems kinda odd for that one particular song to be sung by the touring band again, under its original name, without the input of Al. I don't think Mike called Al on the phone to ask if it was ok. It would be like if Mike, on a current tour, sang Til I Die with the "happy" lyrics he tried to force on the song in 1971 - a very specific song that has deep emotional ties to one other member, and the lyrics of which were of a touchy, personal nature, where only the other (non-Mike) member should be making those types of calls about the song's presentation.  I know some people may say that Brian changing the lyrics of Good Vibrations on BWPS is somehow equivalent to this, but really it isn't. Those weren't deeply personal lyrics where Mike mentioned an ex-spouse by name, and Brian decided to bring them back.

I'll put it this way: if it were pre-1998, while Al was still in the band, I don't think he'd be cool for the song to be played with the original lyric being sung simply if another band member jumped in for that one lyric to squeeze in the "Lynda" part. I don't really see how this is much different, even though he's not in the band anymore (and of course, that wasn't his choice either!)

All that said, I can't say I'm unhappy that deeper cuts are being played by any touring faction. This one just seems weird and particularly uncool, considering Al's sacking.

I can imagine how Mike would feel if the apparently very personal Pisces Brother was performed by Brian's band. But yeah, that would not happen ever.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:24:52 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2017, 11:41:28 AM »

Ironically, I could just as easily see Mike getting a big ego pump if Brian did one of *his* songs.

But Mike doing an Al song, etc. underlines one of the key aspects of Brian's shows over the years that isn't often underlined. As much as we like to think of Brian's show as basically Brian's version of a BB tour (especially post-C50, and especially with Al in the band), it's different in a key way to Mike's. Mike does (mostly) material recorded by the Beach Boys over the years. He does the covers, he does songs Brian wrote without his input, and now he's even doing Al songs. Whereas, Brian's show is a showcase of Brian Wilson compositions. With a few exceptions, he does almost all songs he wrote or co-wrote. He doesn't do BB hits he didn't have a hand in, doesn't do too many of the covers the BB had hits with, and only rarely does BB material written by others (a Carl or Dennis song here and there, Al's Cal Saga, and even most of the songs Al does in Brian's show are covers or songs written/co-written by Brian).

So again, I get that Mike sees his band as just a continuation of *The* Beach Boys, and therefore he might tackle an Al song the same way he'd tackle a Dennis song or Carl song. But I think in particular that doing key Brian or Al songs these days is also off-putting to some in light of Mike rejecting Brian and Al after the C50 tour. He's doing "Lady Lynda" without Al because *he* (Mike) didn't want to keep touring as the BBs with Al and Brian, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2017, 01:08:44 PM »

Well here's video of it....

https://youtu.be/1fQ---GodHU
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2017, 01:30:37 PM »

Really weird, and rather bland sounding. Pick something else, guys. I'd respect picking even "Sumahama" more.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2017, 05:53:05 PM »

Really weird, and rather bland sounding. Pick something else, guys. I'd respect picking even "Sumahama" more.
I agree, I love Ike's voice but this one it's just not happening.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2017, 07:04:19 PM »

Bland is right on the money...and yes, it does seem like Mike is passive aggressively undermining Mike via his setlist all of a sudden considering he never touched any of his original compositions onstage prior to...well, this year really! He also always makes a point to mention him before "All This is That" (perhaps to pass off the blame if people are bored with it). I bet there was no mention of Alan prior to "California Saga" a few months back or "Lady Lynda" last night.

I'm also a little disappointed there isn't more from "Wild Honey". I was expecting "Aren't You Glad" and I am indeed glad it made the cut! I hope it sticks!! But really? They couldn't even try one more? "Let The Wind Blow" would've been perfect at this concert.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2017, 08:20:47 PM »

From my last chat with Mike regarding shifting setlists for different regions. . .

"Like, for instance, 'Cottonfields,' which Al Jardine came up with and sang the lead on, went to Number One in a lot of European countries, which is an amazing thing in itself. 'Then I Kissed Her' was released after 'Good Vibrations' (in England) because we took a little bit of time before we released 'Heroes And Villains' and so, 'Then I Kissed Her' became a hit. So, there are some songs that other fans in other parts of the world do relate to -- and so, we like to honor that. If something was a hit specifically in Great Britain, or in Germany, or somewhere, we'll do that when we're over there."
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2017, 10:27:38 PM »

Al Jardine is my favorite living Beach Boy. That said, I really doubt that Mike added this to the setlist with any malintent. He and Scott  (and probably others) enjoy doing the deep tracks and take any opportunity they can to do so. I believe Mike genuinely likes the song (I do too!) And that he just wanted to give the UK fans a treat. Nothing more, nothing less. Actually, it may even be seen as a tribute to Al, as it's announced as by being written by Al, right before introducing the Dennis tribute.

As for the performance, I think it's great! Ike channels latter day Al pretty well on some of those lines, and the background vocals emulate the studio version (rather than the Knebworth version) well.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2017, 11:33:48 PM »

By the way, there is a much better quality video of the second night's performance of Lady Lynda floating around Facebook.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2017, 06:46:35 AM »

Mike doing "Lady Lynda" is a bit like when he popped up doing "Surf's Up" in the UK a couple years ago. Both songs are songs very strongly identified in one way or another with something and/or someone that Mike has been antagonistic towards in the past, and in both cases he also had band members poached from Brian's band singing them.

I think from the fan perspective you either immediately "get" why that's viscerally and contextually off and why it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth (and different from Mike having his guys sing "I Can Hear Music" or "Darlin'" or whatever), or you don't get it and it's all good and five different Beach Boys doing 100 different songs in five different bands is cool.

Another thing that is weird about it: post-Lynda breakup, Al clearly has had some issues with the song being sung with its original lyric, which must obviously be due to some difficult feelings about singing specifically about an ex (and her name, specifically). So even though the song was somewhat of a hit, and somewhat beloved to the point that the band continued playing it occasionally, it was surely Al who made the decision to change the name and lyric to something he felt more comfortable that the song would be presented as. Al's prerogative, which again, must have been based on some difficult feelings.

It seems kinda odd for that one particular song to be sung by the touring band again, under its original name, without the input of Al. I don't think Mike called Al on the phone to ask if it was ok. It would be like if Mike, on a current tour, sang Til I Die with the "happy" lyrics he tried to force on the song in 1971 - a very specific song that has deep emotional ties to one other member, and the lyrics of which were of a touchy, personal nature, where only the other (non-Mike) member should be making those types of calls about the song's presentation.  I know some people may say that Brian changing the lyrics of Good Vibrations on BWPS is somehow equivalent to this, but really it isn't. Those weren't deeply personal lyrics where Mike mentioned an ex-spouse by name, and Brian decided to bring them back.

I'll put it this way: if it were pre-1998, while Al was still in the band, I don't think he'd be cool for the song to be played with the original lyric being sung simply if another band member jumped in for that one lyric to squeeze in the "Lynda" part. I don't really see how this is much different, even though he's not in the band anymore (and of course, that wasn't his choice either!)

All that said, I can't say I'm unhappy that deeper cuts are being played by any touring faction. This one just seems weird and particularly uncool, considering Al's sacking.

I can imagine how Mike would feel if the apparently very personal Pisces Brother was performed by Brian's band. But yeah, that would not happen ever.

Very good points IMO. I also agree with Billy's remark: "I will say this...I wish Brian was doing a Wild Honey tour."

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2017, 07:09:23 AM »

For some reason, all of a sudden Mike seems okay doing Al's songs. He did "California Saga" for the first time *ever* without Al a few months back, and now "Lady Lynda"? It's just weird, especially in the case of the latter having one of the backing guys sing a love song about Al's ex-wife. It just feels a little more like weird expensive karaoke. It would be kind of like Al doing "Looking Back With Love" in concert, and having like Tom Jacobs sing it or something.

I get it, Mike's just treating these songs as "Beach Boys" back catalog songs. One would hope Mike all of a sudden doing Al's songs means some sort of admiration from Mike towards Al rather than, say, passive-aggressive antagonism. But doing his songs really isn't statistically/logistically weird. But viscerally it's just odd, and certainly Mike has tended especially over the last 20 years to have a rather weird, antagonistic and dismissive attitude about Al, so that's probably part of what makes it weird. But yeah, I'm kinda viscerally with Bossaroo on this one. Leave Al's songs alone. He has so few that he wrote without input from anyone else in the group.

This *does* highlight how Brian's tour should give Al a few more slots (and/or Al should finally do some deep-cut solo gigs). Mike's band seemingly does more Al songs than Al does himself in Brian's show.

Or Al could do some Mike songs. But I hope doesn't!
KDS
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »

Mike seems to like to throw some surprises at the UK audiences, at least over the last two or three years.

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2017, 12:33:17 PM »

I bet there was no mention of Alan prior to "California Saga" a few months back or "Lady Lynda" last night.

Not correct.  Mike did mention that "California Saga" was written by Al Jardine when they played it last March in Monterey (I was there) and he mentioned the same about "Lady Lynda" last night in London (2nd show).

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2017, 03:11:39 PM »

Al Jardine is my favorite living Beach Boy. That said, I really doubt that Mike added this to the setlist with any malintent. He and Scott  (and probably others) enjoy doing the deep tracks and take any opportunity they can to do so. I believe Mike genuinely likes the song (I do too!) And that he just wanted to give the UK fans a treat. Nothing more, nothing less. Actually, it may even be seen as a tribute to Al, as it's announced as by being written by Al, right before introducing the Dennis tribute.

As for the performance, I think it's great! Ike channels latter day Al pretty well on some of those lines, and the background vocals emulate the studio version (rather than the Knebworth version) well.

Very well put, Eric. Agree completely.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2017, 04:26:39 PM »

Al Jardine is my favorite living Beach Boy. That said, I really doubt that Mike added this to the setlist with any malintent. He and Scott  (and probably others) enjoy doing the deep tracks and take any opportunity they can to do so. I believe Mike genuinely likes the song (I do too!) And that he just wanted to give the UK fans a treat. Nothing more, nothing less. Actually, it may even be seen as a tribute to Al, as it's announced as by being written by Al, right before introducing the Dennis tribute.

Very well put, Eric. Agree completely.

I don't think there was necessarily any ill intent… But it would come off as a much more sincere gesture if it had been preceded by a statement, perhaps in an interview at some point over the last *nearly 20 years*, where Mike could've expressed that he wishes the BBs could be playing together with Al, or anything to that effect.  Something to show that Mike actually thinks that Al's presence matters a single iota. It's not like he's shy about giving many, many examples of how much his own presence matters for the band, after all. Unless, of course, the only thing that matters is that Al generated a couple of hits for the band which lined Mike's pockets some more.   I don't want to think quite that negatively about it all, but sometimes it's hard not to.

It's kind of weird to do a tribute to someone after practically ignoring their existence or contributions for decades, then go back to ignoring them right after the fact, in terms of Al not being part of the live show.   Yeah, maybe Al is over being bummed out about being effectively sacked from The BBs -  being as he gets to tour with Brian's band -  I recognize that could be the case too.  It doesn't really make the whole thing any less weird though.

In a nutshell, I'm just saying that Mike has a really funny way of showing affection for people, when by all accounts it seems like he has been effectively banning Al from the band Al co-founded for years.  I wish I could shake that negative feeling, but I don't really know how to.  Am I off-base by feeling this way?  I'd love to know how any fan can just look past the stuff entirely without it even slightly rubbing them the wrong way.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:58:25 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2017, 06:11:00 PM »

No problem, CD. There's always one member in a group that ends up being a turd. The difficult part of that is that Al is such an incredibly better singer and instrumentalist than the so called "lead singer" in the band. This alone was enough to threaten the warped, insecure myKe luHv into shitcanning Al. Funny thing is  now the baldster is surrounded by those who sing better than him as his voice is on the critical list.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2017, 06:25:25 PM »

Agree, Al is better singer than Mike. In Live In Las Vegas, Al's "Little Deuce Coupe", "Hawaii", "Shut Down" could rival Mike's original leads. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2017, 07:40:59 PM »

I'm surprised they haven't swapped any songs around. Usually no matter where they are, at least one tune gets switched from night to night.

I'm not knocking it though, it's a lot to keep together with near fifty songs...and on top of that, they've done it now three nights in a row.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2017, 07:57:45 AM »

I do really hope they have added more Wild Honey deep cuts by the time of the NYC show in August. The 'Wild Honey Tour' concept was at least part of what convinced me to pony up for a ticket as soon as they went on sale. And NYC tix ain't cheap!   Tongue

wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2017, 08:05:48 AM »

I had a dream!  Mr. Love was brought up in front of the church to sing a solo.  The big intro and than his solo.  All I remember was the lady next to me said, What the hell was that!  Good thing he has other members in the group. Than I woke up laughing.....  I've always thought singing was like praying twice, Ole' Love challenges the word.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2017, 05:12:48 PM »

So the Dublin show was awesome tonight.

"Aren't you glad" was really well done, "Wild Honey" was epic, all in all, great show.

Mike looks and sounds great.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2017, 06:06:48 PM »

"Aren't you glad" was really well done, "Wild Honey" was epic, all in all, great show.

Nice!! Same set I presume?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2017, 06:20:10 PM »

Pretty much.

"Lady lynda" was a strange inclusion.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2017, 07:23:01 PM »

Pretty much.

"Lady lynda" was a strange inclusion.

I'm sure I'd agree...it's weird on paper...and so late in the show too!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2017, 07:35:11 AM »

Mike has undoubtedly added "Lady Lynda" because it was a hit in the UK. I don't think there's any question of that.

But it's at least mildly interesting that Mike has toured the UK many times since the late 90s and this is the first time he has ever done "Lady Lynda." And as previously mentioned, he did "California Saga" a few months ago for the first time ever without Al on stage.

I don't think anything drastic has happened regarding Mike's relationship with Al one way or the other; I'm guessing it just takes a while for Mike to warm to an idea and probably some suggestion/prompting from other guys in the band (e.g. Totten). Just a couple years ago was the first time Mike's band had done "Surf's Up."

I don't think Mike does a Brian song or now an Al song as a big "F You!" to either or both of those guys. It's just a kind of situational irony and groan-worthy move in light of the history of the band and its politics, especially post-C50.

"Lady Lynda" as a tribute to Al? He's still alive! He's still in great voice, and Mike dumped the guy *twice* in the last 19 years. As with Brian, I think it's also the case with Al that it's easier for Mike to *talk* about these guys and compliment them on *his* terms than it is for Mike to actually *be* with Brian or Al, share the stage with them (and the spotlight, and the money, etc).

Mike doing "Surf's Up" a couple of years ago was even more of a case of being imbued with irony. All of the same stuff as "Lady Lynda" applied, plus Mike has had an infamously tenuous relationship with "Smile" material, and despite Scott Totten saying Mike didn't nix "Surf's Up" from the C50 setlist at the moment Totten had the band run it through in Europe, there are folks who suggest Mike did state at some point during the tour that he didn't want to do "Surf's Up."

And again, in both of these two cases Mike handed the lead vocal over to guys that had been poached (however passively or actively) from Brian's band.

If you think Foskett, well-known to everyone including fellow musical luminaries of Brian as Brian's right hand man, jumping ship from Brian's band to Mike's band 18 months after a relatively acrimonious post-reunion split, and then singing a "Smile" song for Mike's band that Mike has never performed with his own band, all the while having that infamous relationship with "Smile" material, if you think all of that *doesn't* mean anything beyond just Mike's band playing another tune, then you're living in a blissful unawareness that I genuinely (at times) envy.

I'm searching for a closer comparison. I dunno, maybe it would be a little bit like the modern-day, Dennis DeYoung-free "Styx" doing the "Kilroy Was Here" DeYoung stuff in concert without him years after bitching and moaning about having to do the material back in the 80s? Or, I dunno, Lennon doing "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" in concert in 1972 un-ironically?

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx