gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:07:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love "Wild Honey Tour" in Europe  (Read 56848 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2017, 02:12:07 PM »

There was actually a kind of funny and awkward episode on this board several years back when someone posted a video of Cowsill singing "Heroes and Villains", and somebody else noted it was pretty painful, and then Cowsill came on and posted and was actually pretty self-deprecating and honest about being open to the criticism.
Ha! Few posters said they couldn't stand his vocals. Cowsill agreed saying he sang like Kermit the Frog! Then me or smb. else added he's right, terrible voice. He was completely OK with it! Now *that's* "professional musician". He gained respect after that. 3D

Now if we could only get him to admit that while John Stamos is undoubtedly a cool guy to hang out with, he's an amateur musician and a blight on the band's legacy and the quality of live shows, then I'd have even more respect!

But I agree with what someone mentioned back when Foskett jumped ship to Mike's band; Brian should have simultaneously been trying to lure Totten and Cowsill into *his* band!

As corny as it is to have a Full(er) House actor in the lineup, I don't really mind Stamos too much. Mainly because I suppose I haven't heard him tarnish a live recording by standing out in an amateur way - although I haven't really listened to much live stuff during the Stamos era.

On one hand, because he's a BBs superfan, it's kinda cool that someone like that gets a chance to be a part of his favorite band. And since he seems like a genuinely nice dude, I can't really hate on his presence *too* much.  But yeah, ultimately if one thinks about it a little deeper, it becomes somewhat of a ridiculous joke, because it's no big secret that he's likely primarily there with a specific intent to attract a certain demographic of the audience.

What would be amazing is if Brian added Dave Coulier, Bob Saget, Mary Kate Olsen (and her much taller and older husband), and Andrea Barber to a string of BW shows, just to outdo the Stamos factor on the M&B side.
I'm surprised Mike hasn't added Mary-Kate or Ashley to the show just so he could hit on them. "Hey Little Tomboy", indeed!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2017, 06:38:22 PM »

"Wild Honey" -- Wilson/Love's finest hour.

Amen to that!

Or should I say Wilson/Love's finest 23 minutes and 58 seconds!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2017, 06:55:43 PM »

Plus use AGD as the bouncer/ butler.

The only thing KokoDoe can bounce is his blubber.  Roll Eyes
Plus being a blubbering idiot doing M&B's bidding.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2017, 11:05:06 PM »

I'm surprised Mike hasn't added Mary-Kate or Ashley to the show just so he could hit on them. "Hey Little Tomboy", indeed!

Uh yeah, they're 30 years old
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2017, 12:39:31 PM »

As long as he does I'd Love Just Once To See You

Am I right in saying that Brian has hardly ever sung this live? He did at the Kenwood House concert in 2008. My one and only BW concert and he sang "ILJOTSY". Roll Eyes

Strange to find oneself bellowing "IN THE NUDE!!!!" along with a bunch of complete strangers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CSVt6prH9g

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2017, 12:47:25 PM »

That video is great! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2017, 03:03:24 AM »

For this dinner cruise costing € 125 a skull, "we shall transform the James Cook with Californian surf ambiences, present Beach Boys performances on big screens and serve tropical cocktails. There'll also be a buffet with desserts and appropriate music". Top-notch concert seats included in the price. (I bought standard tickets long ago.)  
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 03:03:54 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2017, 12:05:59 PM »

100 dates announced.

http://www.noise11.com/news/the-beach-boys-add-100-more-dates-for-2017-20170514
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2017, 01:11:30 PM »

I will be on the 24 Juny concert on Fuengirola. I´m Nervous Cool Guy Cool Guy Cool Guy Cool Guy Cool Guy Cool Guy Cool Guy
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2017, 02:10:15 PM »

In addition to the Wild Honey tracks they'll likely add i really hope they try some other "deeper cuts" i'm sure the Royal Albert shows will have a few but how about leaving some of those gems in the set for the U.S. fans?
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2017, 09:15:55 PM »

In addition to the Wild Honey tracks they'll likely add i really hope they try some other "deeper cuts" i'm sure the Royal Albert shows will have a few but how about leaving some of those gems in the set for the U.S. fans?

Couldnt agree more! us US fans want to hear deeper cuts too!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2017, 03:18:36 AM »

"Wild Honey" -- Wilson/Love's finest hour.

Amen to that!

Or should I say Wilson/Love's finest 23 minutes and 58 seconds!

Wow, I wasn't aware it's THAT short. Super cool album.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2017, 09:20:58 AM »

I'm really excited to see what makes the cut and what doesn't. This is a big chance for Mike and Bruce to show they're still aware of the back catalog. Of course, then we have to get these proposed "deep cuts" back to the states...
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2017, 10:43:47 AM »

Syracuse (my hometown) is being treated to Mike & Bruce in August; then Brian, Al & Blondie in October. Wild Honey tour, Pet Sounds tour.

Yes, yes life is good indeed  Grin
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2017, 11:23:00 PM »

Haven't read the whole thread, but they did Aren't You Glad and Lady Lynda (sung by Brian E) at Royal Albert Hall.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2017, 03:44:01 AM »

so the "Wild Honey Tour" only has 3 songs from the album?  Roll Eyes

Decent setlist otherwise but surely at least 5 or 6 form Wild Honey should be played....songs are short.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 03:48:52 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2017, 06:26:14 AM »

seriously.
save Lady Lynda for the big Light Album tour in a few years. or better yet... keep your grubby mitts off Al's song, M&B.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2017, 06:58:37 AM »

For some reason, all of a sudden Mike seems okay doing Al's songs. He did "California Saga" for the first time *ever* without Al a few months back, and now "Lady Lynda"? It's just weird, especially in the case of the latter having one of the backing guys sing a love song about Al's ex-wife. It just feels a little more like weird expensive karaoke. It would be kind of like Al doing "Looking Back With Love" in concert, and having like Tom Jacobs sing it or something.

I get it, Mike's just treating these songs as "Beach Boys" back catalog songs. One would hope Mike all of a sudden doing Al's songs means some sort of admiration from Mike towards Al rather than, say, passive-aggressive antagonism. But doing his songs really isn't statistically/logistically weird. But viscerally it's just odd, and certainly Mike has tended especially over the last 20 years to have a rather weird, antagonistic and dismissive attitude about Al, so that's probably part of what makes it weird. But yeah, I'm kinda viscerally with Bossaroo on this one. Leave Al's songs alone. He has so few that he wrote without input from anyone else in the group.

This *does* highlight how Brian's tour should give Al a few more slots (and/or Al should finally do some deep-cut solo gigs). Mike's band seemingly does more Al songs than Al does himself in Brian's show.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2017, 07:15:43 AM »

Hey Jude, it doesn't seem weird to me. As a fan its great to hear any Beach boy deep cut. And Mike is performing a song he originally sang on. It's definitely not the same as Al doing Looking back with love, It's more like Al singing Kokomo or Do it again  which he use to on his tours. Let's not forget Lady Lynda was written with Ron Altbach and is derived from a Bach composition. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2017, 07:18:20 AM »

Jude, don't forget Mike randomly taking "Rhonda" away from Cowsii and singing yet another "hit". Poor Al....

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2017, 07:36:39 AM »

Agree with Mr. Jude. Did they introduce it as "Al Jardine song"? They should tell everybody to know.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:46:28 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2017, 08:02:03 AM »

I thought they always played Lady Lynda in the UK as it was a hit in England.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2017, 08:14:01 AM »

I thought they always played Lady Lynda in the UK as it was a hit in England.

Nope. They've usually (but not always) worked "Then I Kissed Her" and/or "Cottonfields" into UK/Europe shows/tours, both pre and post-Carl/Al.

But with "Lady Lynda", it was dropped during the 1982 tour (last played in the UK in 1980) after being in the setlist relatively regularly between about 1977/78 and 1982, resurfaced briefly as "Lady Liberty" at a few shows in 1986, and then was done one more time on one UK tour in 1993 as "Little Lady" (with Lynda's name scrubbed).

I don't believe any band touring under the BB name has done the song since that 1993 UK tour, and it hasn't been done under its original title since 1982, and since 1980 in the UK.

Al has never done it live post-1993 (although he reportedly planned to perform it in the early 2000s at his canceled performance at the Pop Overthrow Festival; which title he would have used is anybody's guess), and, setting aside the C50 reunion, I don't think Al has done a non-Brian gig in the UK since whenever his last BB tour was in the UK (1993?). So he's never had  a chance to do it solo in the UK, which is the region where he would most likely consider adding it.

Brian did blurt out a few lines of "Lady Lynda" during a soundcheck in 2000; a random story burned into my mind recounted by a fan.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:26:20 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2017, 08:20:26 AM »

Hey Jude, it doesn't seem weird to me. As a fan its great to hear any Beach boy deep cut. And Mike is performing a song he originally sang on. It's definitely not the same as Al doing Looking back with love, It's more like Al singing Kokomo or Do it again  which he use to on his tours. Let's not forget Lady Lynda was written with Ron Altbach and is derived from a Bach composition.  

I figured someone might bring up Al doing Mike-centric songs at his shows. As I specifically said, in terms of statistics/logistics, Mike doing any "Beach Boys" song is just that, doing a Beach Boys song. But Al doing "Kokomo" (which as far as I can tell he has *never* particularly enjoyed playing at his solo gigs and seemingly only does it when he does the short, "meat and potatoes" gigs where the big hits are expected and nothing more) just isn't the same in that Mike has historically, in the last 20 years, often had a rather standoffish attitude towards Al. Through most of the first decade of the 2000s, Mike seemed to go *out of his way* to not even mention Al's name as much as possible. I remember reading Mike interviews during that decade, and it was so surreal after the guys had been together for 37 years, all of a sudden it was like surprising to even see or hear Mike *say* Al's name.

But again, I think it's more just a visceral thing that seems odd in terms of Mike doing a song Al wrote without any of the other BBs. Indeed, it's not just random happenstance that *2017* is the first time Mike is doing it. If Chris Farmer had pitched "Lady Lynda" to Mike in 2004 or something, I'm not so sure Mike would have gone for it. The "ten thumbs up to everything!" fans who think having two or three splintered touring groups just means "more chances to hear great music!" are probably indeed not going to pick up on why Mike doing an Al song is just a little odd.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:27:32 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2017, 08:44:02 AM »

Mike doing "Lady Lynda" is a bit like when he popped up doing "Surf's Up" in the UK a couple years ago. Both songs are songs very strongly identified in one way or another with something and/or someone that Mike has been antagonistic towards in the past, and in both cases he also had band members poached from Brian's band singing them.

I think from the fan perspective you either immediately "get" why that's viscerally and contextually off and why it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth (and different from Mike having his guys sing "I Can Hear Music" or "Darlin'" or whatever), or you don't get it and it's all good and five different Beach Boys doing 100 different songs in five different bands is cool.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:44:36 AM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx