gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:49:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love "Wild Honey Tour" in Europe  (Read 56925 times)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2017, 09:58:07 AM »

Source of the announcement and the dates: https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMikeLove/photos/a.249407895138059.60323.125419450870238/1343598602385644/?type=3&theater

EDIT:
Oops, had no idea it was already reported the new tour was Wild Honey in the Mike Love upcoming interview question thread! i figured i must have missed out on something, delete if necessary.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:51:06 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:24:40 AM »

Nah, this can stay. Other thread is about Mike getting interviewed by his gopher/lackey.

I will say this...I wish Brian was doing a Wild Honey tour.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 10:25:30 AM »

Every tour is "wild honey" with Blondie! Wink
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:25:57 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:27:06 AM »

True, but I wanna hear Brian bust out with "Aren't You Glad"

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »

True that.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 10:45:11 AM »

I'm not very much followin the Beach Boys discussions here so this was news to me. Thanks! As I mentioned a lot of times, Wild Honey is probably my favorite Beach Boys album. To me it resembles what the Beach Boys would've sounded like if they were on Sun Records, produced by Sam Phillips. It certainly has some weak spots here and there. But all in all it is a lot of fun and rocking.

Another thing I try to imagine now and then is what it would've sounded like if they had recorded it at a "real" studio and doubletracked their voices like they used to do. I think "The girl from New York City" could be a hint for that.

EDIT:

And yes, although he wasn't on the original album, Blondie is the Beach Boy to sing Wild Honey nowadays. That's unfortunate for Mike's group. As I stated before, as much as I love Cowsill's drumming, his singing especially on "Wild honey" never did it for me. But I only heard youtube videos, so it might sound better in a live setting

EDIT 2:

Interesting to note that both - Mike and Brian - seem to be eager to perform complete Beach Boys albums live but can't get together for it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:50:44 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 10:57:21 AM »

Is he performing the whole album?
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 10:59:36 AM »

Everybody should get ready for the summer of WH.
MAJOR stuff coming soon that will not disappoint.

Best case scenario, guys.
Get psyched.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »

Get psyched.

Thanks for this Howie...WH is in my top 5 favorite albums.

Color me excited!

-Billy

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 11:11:38 AM »

That's how I understood it. But you're right; it isn't mentioned. I just thought why call it the Wild Honey tour for just three or four songs from the album? Well, let's wait and see.

Get psyched.

Thanks for that! I look forward to the news

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rich E P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 11:41:51 AM »

Thanks for chiming in Howie.  Your teaser post has me drooling.  Wild Honey has always been a big fave in my house!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 11:58:00 AM »

That's how I understood it. But you're right; it isn't mentioned. I just thought why call it the Wild Honey tour for just three or four songs from the album? Well, let's wait and see.

My guess would have been that it's more of a marketing angle, and they'll do a large hunk of the album.

I could actually envision them doing WH in full for one of those lengthy UK shows where they do 55+ songs. WH is only 11 songs, has three songs *under* two minutes in length and no songs over 2:40.

But I would tend to doubt that we'll see Mike doing the full WH album at every 2017 show worldwide from here on out. And frankly, I'm not sure how interesting it would be to see the backing guys sing "How She Boogalooed It."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 12:58:12 PM »

So I'm taking Howie's post to mean we are *hopefully* getting some kinda deluxe Wild Honey set this year?! If so, that would be frickin' amazing! First, just getting it back on shelves would be great, hopefully with the original mono mix and the entire album in as close to full stereo as possible. Secondly, getting bonus material as well like "Can't Wait Too Long" (either the five minute plus edit from the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey 2fer or a new edit or will be fine), "Lonely Days" and maybe Dennis' mysterious "Tune #L" along with  the covers of "The Letter", "Game of Love", and  the "corrected" version of "With a Little Help from My Friends" would be great as well, especially to have it all bundled in one place rather than spread over a few different releases. Also, weren't there a few attempts Brian's solo "Surf's Up" from the Wild Honey sessions? Maybe we could hear the session tape if there is one? Just a thought.

Regardless, now my hopes are sky high! Maybe I'm way ahead of myself, but I guess we will find out.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:00:52 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 01:26:51 PM »

That's great news for this major WH fan, Howie!

w00t! Happy Dance
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 01:34:40 PM »

The first thing I think about is that on that album Mike has like, 1.5 leads- in my opinion no way he does an entire album where only one of the songs are his.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 01:44:01 PM »

The first thing I think about is that on that album Mike has like, 1.5 leads- in my opinion no way he does an entire album where only one of the songs are his.

Yet it's the last hurrah as an album mostly written by Brian and Mike, so it makes sense he'd be more wanting to promote his contributions. I am thinking Let the Wind Blow, Aren't You Glad, and A Thing or Two will, at minimum, might be played, with Mike on lead or partial lead.

Let the Wind Blow is ridiculously neglected by the band.

If I'd Love Just Once to See You is played, I'll eat my shorts.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:03:44 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 01:56:45 PM »

The 2014 tour was "50 Years of Fun, Fun, Fun".The 2015 Tour was  celebrating  "50 Years of Summer Days" and it wasn't performed in it's entirety.  Last year's was Good Vibrations.  It just a convenient name for the tour.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 03:49:26 PM »

Oh wow, i'm more than glad my thread could be as helpful and open to bring even more exclusive news! somehow i knew about the interview coming but either i totally missed on the news of a Wild Honey tour or it just happened in there??? i know Mike Love posted a teaser, like how Europe and especially England has been a special audience to the Beach Boys (true that! Pet Sounds and the following records sold amazingly well there overtime) and that the next tour would be special...

Now with this, titled as the Wild Honey Tour to be exact, it seems to be a celebration, the same as it is for Pet Sounds, so i'd be pretty sure it's gonna be played live, if not, it's a bit of a ripoff haha! plus the album has some good known tracks here and there, including a Stevie Wonder cover for the less familliar audience!

That is a cool move, even tho it is obviously only motivated by Brian's camp move with the Pet Sounds tour and how well it is doing, so in a way, no surprises there, it's more about business.

However mikeddonn has a very solid point, but the previous selected titles in these examples are popular names to beach culture and of course the Beach Boys heritage, something with Fun, Fun, Fun or Good Vibrations naturally won't apply they'll play these songs on repeat the whole show haha, neither does Summer Days, as much as an album picks on those words, these are just gimmick things for Mike Love! but Wild Honey? what's the commercial on that? for a tour name? also look at Mike Love's post the album cover it put into the announcement, so clearly it's about the album, let alone the fact this comes at the anniversary of the record too, so it seems pretty obvious by now.

Let alone with Howie's info dropped here, which implies it would promote a new physical release regarding the album, perhaps a deluxe Huh boxset Huh if anything, a true stereo remix is my strongest bet as it has been mentioned by Alan Boyd himself at that Beach Boys conference in England.

Maybe it will come in the same shape of the recent remasters editions Huh

Regarding Blondie i agree that he is the best case to represent the album now, he got a very soulfull voice, it doesn't work for every songs, he has the DNA of Wild Honey, to which i agree, a record would have been even more perfected on Sun Records.

Much love everyone!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:52:52 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 06:10:28 PM »

On an unrelated note, checking bits of this full Mike Love show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2isP5a03BK8

Bruce is terrible on You're So Good To Me, and the whole massive introduction to Be True To Your School is a true embarassement .... just straight out total white trash ... Mike sounds flatter than ever, my hope for any decent and tasteful Wild Honey album performances has been shut down..
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:32:33 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 07:03:14 PM »

I would imagine his Wild Honey tour will be like his Pet Sounds tour. A few extra selections from the album.  They already do Darlin so throw in Wild Honey and Aren't You Glad for sure. Maybe Country Air.  One of the following  I was Made to Love Her, How She Boogalooed it, or Here Comes the Night and bam that's your Wild Honey tour.

Agreed that Bruce is absolutely abysmal on YSGTM. It's an odd choice to have him sing . It requires a strong voice which Bruce has never had. There are many other better choices for Bruce to sing.  The best YSGTM singer ever in the BB  blowing the rest out of the water doesn't sing it currently, but he's short, blonde, and often wears a white suit.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 07:09:54 PM by tpesky » Logged
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 07:16:31 PM »

If they do How She Boogalooed it, that would be a treat, a special and underrated song, i believe the first original band composition without Brian, and one Noel Gallagher even loves (and he ain't a Beach Boys fan by any means) (i think he knows of Wild Honey because he is best friends with Paul Weller from The Jam who himself is a huge Beach Boys fan, and as any typical english from back in the day who enjoyed him, he didn't stop at Pet Sounds and followed what came after, he gives love to Friends too! sorry, totally sidetracking)

Hahaha i think i know who Wink YSGTM is such a great song, it's a shame truely, i guess they handed it over Bruce cause he has a high pitch ..? but man, his voice is out !!! there is no conviction at all in it, he sounds like he's about to go in a coma.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 08:14:15 PM »

On an unrelated note, checking bits of this full Mike Love show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2isP5a03BK8

Bruce is terrible on You're So Good To Me, and the whole massive introduction to Be True To Your School is a true embarassement .... just straight out total white trash ... Mike sounds flatter than ever, my hope for any decent and tasteful Wild Honey album performances has been shut down..

Yeah, myKe's been flat out flat for years with it resembling pure flatulence than anything remotely akin to singing. Br00th is absolutely useless and both of these losers should do everyone a favor and get out of the business ASAP before there's no legacy left at all.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 08:27:28 PM »

If they do How She Boogalooed it, that would be a treat, a special and underrated song, i believe the first original band composition without Brian, and one Noel Gallagher even loves (and he ain't a Beach Boys fan by any means)
Interesting - got the link to back it?

YSGTM is such a great song, it's a shame truely, i guess they handed it over Bruce cause he has a high pitch ..? but man, his voice is out !!
Should quit singing cold turkey.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 08:43:35 PM »

Bruce has a fine voice when it is used properly, and that is rarely on a lead vocal.

You're So Good To Me is a horrible choice for him. I've heard him sing it twice and he sings it so breathy and weak, like a plea for help. The song needs power and dominance behind it.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 08:47:02 PM »

Mike mentioned "Country Air" in his book, right? It'd be cool of them to dig that one out, mellotron roosters and all  Grin

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx