gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:49:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slightly OT: Arthur Lee has died  (Read 1947 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2006, 05:35:32 AM »

From the BBC:

Love singer Arthur Lee dies at 61

Arthur Lee, singer and guitarist of the influential 1960s band Love, has died in Memphis at the age of 61 following a battle with acute myeloid leukaemia.

A Memphis native who called himself the "first so-called black hippie", Lee formed Love in Los Angeles in 1965.

The multiracial band recorded three groundbreaking albums that fused rock, blues and psychedelia - the self-titled Love, Da Capo and Forever Changes.

In the 1990s Lee spent time in prison for illegal possession of a firearm.

But the singer made a triumphant comeback in 2002, touring the US and Europe with a new version of his classic band.

Although the original members of Love were only together for two years, they typified West Coast progressive rock.

The excess and bravura of the period is reflected on Da Capo, one side of which was taken up with a single song.

The album, like its predecessor, was not a commercial success. But Forever Changes, the band's next album, did reach the Top 30 in the UK.

Considered by many as Lee's bold response to the Beatles' Sgt Pepper album, it remains one of the most enduring records of the period and has been named the 40th greatest album of all time by Rolling Stone magazine.

After that highpoint the band lost momentum and went through many changes of line-up. Lee also recorded as a solo artist, with little success.

His eccentric behaviour and fragile mental health drew comparisons to late Pink Floyd founder member Syd Barrett and led to his arrest and six-year incarceration.

But his return to the limelight in recent years drew acclaim and recognition, his live performances of Forever Changes receiving glowing reviews.

“We live in divisive times.”
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 05:49:00 AM »

Horrible, horrible news.  I guess not entirely unexpected, given recent developments of his illness.  Very sad, nonetheless.  Absolutely adore his work.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 07:26:37 AM »

I'm happy Lee was able to make a brief comeback with the Forever Changes tour (the Stockholm Strings & Horns performing the same function they would for the "SMiLE" tour a number of months later) before his illness. However, I was bothered by his quote at the time where he claimed he was the "real deal" and "not some charity case like Brian Wilson". Was karma listening?
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 04:05:45 PM »

I don't think karma entitles one to die a bad premature death, not for that remark, anyways.  Arthur had a lot of problems of his own, so if he wanted to pump up his own ego, fine.  He spent lot of time in jail, and it was lucky he came back at all.  As it was, his own band abandoned him and tried to play his music without him.  Due to his bad behavior.  I don't think he deserved that, either, but they did help stage benefits on his behalf to try to save his life, so they made up for it.  The couple of times I did see him, he did put on a good show, and actually, he was more "with it" and outgoing than Brian.  But neither of them sing as well as they did in the past, and were carried quite a bit by their excellent backing bands.

I'm happy Lee was able to make a brief comeback with the Forever Changes tour (the Stockholm Strings & Horns performing the same function they would for the "SMiLE" tour a number of months later) before his illness. However, I was bothered by his quote at the time where he claimed he was the "real deal" and "not some charity case like Brian Wilson". Was karma listening?
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 08:03:28 AM »

I saw the Thursday show at Cafe Du Nord in San Francisco last summer.  I was so pumped to see Arthur play with Johnny Echols, my girlfriend and I flew in from Boston.  Fortunately, Johnny played great and looked like he was having a lot of fun.  Unfortunately, Arthur wasn't doing well at all that night, sitting down throughout the show and singing only part of the time.  Something was very wrong,  I wonder now if that was the Leukemia beginning to take hold.  But he did seem in good spirits, even signing autographs after the show.  My girlfriend approached with her ticket, and when he turned his attention to her, she blurted out "WE FLEW FROM BOSTON TO SEE YOU AND WE FLEW TO LONDON TO SEE YOU TWO YEARS AGO....."  He he just stared at her, trying to figure out what she was yelling through the commotion around him, and he finally pleaded , "CALM DOWN!!!"  before signing her ticket (and inadvertantly letting it fall to the floor as he moved on to the next autograph).    It was a wonderful sight to watch him bask in the adulation for a few minutes, something I think (and he probably thought! Cheesy) he should've experienced more in his life.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 08:11:20 AM by 7and7is.....14 » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 08:18:02 AM »

Well, see, if I'd been there, I'd have pointed out thar at least Brian never went to prison.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 10:45:42 AM »

I don't think karma entitles one to die a bad premature death, not for that remark, anyways.  Arthur had a lot of problems of his own, so if he wanted to pump up his own ego, fine.  He spent lot of time in jail, and it was lucky he came back at all.  As it was, his own band abandoned him and tried to play his music without him.  Due to his bad behavior.  I don't think he deserved that, either, but they did help stage benefits on his behalf to try to save his life, so they made up for it.  The couple of times I did see him, he did put on a good show, and actually, he was more "with it" and outgoing than Brian.  But neither of them sing as well as they did in the past, and were carried quite a bit by their excellent backing bands.

I meant that Lee actually did become a "charity case" when his former bandmates and others selflessly did a benefit for him. I'm sorry he's gone and hope his last days weren't too painful. When I heard the news I immediately thought of Robyn Hitchcock's song "The Wreck Of The Arthur Lee" (although that song is more about the end of 60s idealism).
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx