gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:22:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anybody catch Brian's show in Des Moines?  (Read 2321 times)
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2017, 07:40:45 AM »

I dearly wanted to go, as I live there now, but I'm too broke to afford it.

Saw the pix in the Register--I have to say, everyone looks really beat, like they've been working themselves too hard. I hope they at least had some fun--there are smiles to be seen.

Last time I saw Brian was at the Surf at Clear Lake--no Al, no Blondie, but fun to see in that setting.

Anybody go last night?
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 02:31:10 PM »

I went to the Des Moines show! It was fantastic--probably better than the Clear Lake show I saw a couple years back. In fact, I almost feel like Brian is in better shape to perform now than back then. A few other observations:
- I'm glad they've done away with the whole bass-shtick, where they strap a bass on Brian like the good ole days. I just remember that being a pretty sad sight in Clear Lake.
- Speaking of playing instruments, I don't think he plays piano at all. I'm not sure what the consensus on the board is, but the piano seems to me to be little more than a prop that Brian can sit behind without feeling awkward.
- The Pet Sounds performance was pretty incredible. What stuck out to me most was "Let's Go Away for Awhile". I don't particularly like that song, but it sounded so darn lush when they played it live. It was basically the same song as the record--it might just lend itself better to live performances.
- They played at least a song off of most albums. A few were welcome surprises to hear: Feel Flows, Let Him Run Wild, Wake the World.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 03:16:19 PM »

Speaking of playing instruments, I don't think he plays piano at all. I'm not sure what the consensus on the board is, but the piano seems to me to be little more than a prop that Brian can sit behind without feeling awkward.

If he's not playing at all, then that's a recent development. He definitely was playing as recently as the show I saw in 2015, and was audible as well.  YouTube performances from last year would also bear that out.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »

I stood onstage about 12 feet behind him for the entire show last June during the Brooklyn gig -- not sure how high it was in the mix (if at all), but he was noticeably playing from what I saw.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 06:15:21 PM »

I stood onstage about 12 feet behind him for the entire show last June during the Brooklyn gig -- not sure how high it was in the mix (if at all), but he was noticeably playing from what I saw.

I saw Brian in 2015 in San Francisco, and sat where I could very clearly see (and hear!) that he was absolutely playing. It was really cool to see, and to prove that any doubters are incorrect.
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 06:17:46 PM »

Saw him just about a month ago, he was for sure playing, although at some points (especially the PS instrumentals) he didn't play at all.
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 10:19:45 PM »

It's very possible he was playing, I s'pose--it's kinda hard to tell (at least from the angle I had on him). But regardless, it doesn't seem like his piano playing makes a dent in the sound b/c it's mixed so low. Or am I wrong here too? lol

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx