gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:14:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys and Four Seasons: Compare and Contrast  (Read 2410 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2017, 09:35:05 AM »

Are there any Four Seasons tracks that sound like BB tracks, and vice versa? Similarly are there any Brian Wilson vocals that sound like Frankie Vallli vocals, and vice versa? Or are these two groups just very different beasts - east coast v west, etc.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 12:34:28 PM »

Are there any Four Seasons tracks that sound like BB tracks, and vice versa? Similarly are there any Brian Wilson vocals that sound like Frankie Vallli vocals, and vice versa? Or are these two groups just very different beasts - east coast v west, etc.

I have always thought "Let's Hang On" was BB influenced.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 12:46:02 PM »

'Let's Hang On' is my favorite Four Seasons song, but I feel their sublime cover of 'I've Got You Under My Skin' has more Beach Boys-feel, with the great harmony parts.

Then there's the incredibly awesome 'Who Loves You', which seemingly influenced part of Brian's 'Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl'...

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 03:40:58 AM »

I don't know about BW vocals (apart from obvious imitation Valli stuff on "Finders Keepers" and "Surfers Rule") but I'd say some of Mike's early bass lines are clearly influenced by Nick Massi. "The Shift" is a good example...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 07:47:32 AM »

Let's Hang On is very clearly influenced by Motown. I don't hear any BBs in there.

The wordless accapella coda in "Saturday's Father" is their most BB-like moment, I think. The Genuine Imitation Life Gazette album art is littered with BB references, too.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 11:56:58 AM »

Yep, the end of "Saturday's Father" is cut straight out of the "Pet Sounds/Smile" mold.

That's one of the few moments where it's *clearly* a BB influence rather than the earlier Four Seasons stuff where it's Jersey guys doing layered vocals on Motown-style stuff so that it *kinda* sounds Beach Boys-ish in the vocal department.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 03:42:25 PM »

Compare and contrast BBs and 4 Seasons?  Nah, I don't want to and do resent being spoken to in the imperative!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 04:48:43 PM »

Let's Hang On is very clearly influenced by Motown. I don't hear any BBs in there.

The wordless accapella coda in "Saturday's Father" is their most BB-like moment, I think. The Genuine Imitation Life Gazette album art is littered with BB references, too.

The return of those that will argue about another's opinion.  Grin

The fact that Jan and Dean covered it is a nod to Brian's influence on the song. IMO.

And then, as history tells us, Brian nodded back by writing, " Hand On (to your ego)".  Wink
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 05:04:36 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 10:44:33 PM »

Their most obvious BB pastiche is the song "No Surfing Today", which is great.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 01:13:11 AM »

Their most obvious BB pastiche is the song "No Surfing Today", which is great.

Good call! Very obvious BB pastiche!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx