gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:42:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Excluding Interviews, Mike Seems... Okay  (Read 3253 times)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2017, 04:43:27 AM »

I read so much about Mike Love being hated and I understand he has said some things that can be real turn-offs to people. But what about his behavior inside the studio? Not 'often paraphrased accounts' from people, or "a friend of a friend heard Mike say this..." What about what we can hear with our own two ears?

Maybe it is just me, but when I listen to the Beach Boys multiple vocal attempts, I cannot help but feel that even when it was getting exasperating to re-record something for the umpteenth time, Mike seemed to be having fun in the studio and goofing around with the guys - often he is the one heard most doing funny voices and breaking the tension. Brian really seemed to like Mike's sense of humor. Mike did an amazing job with the vocals and generally seemed very cooperative during the session tapes.

Now maybe later, he would make comments about the sessions, but at the time he seemed to be okay with it.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 07:42:36 AM »

Nice try, Mike Love.  Grin
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 10:03:54 AM »

Mike's OK, except when he talks.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 10:49:59 AM »

I read so much about Mike Love being hated and I understand he has said some things that can be real turn-offs to people. But what about his behavior inside the studio? Not 'often paraphrased accounts' from people, or "a friend of a friend heard Mike say this..." What about what we can hear with our own two ears?

Maybe it is just me, but when I listen to the Beach Boys multiple vocal attempts, I cannot help but feel that even when it was getting exasperating to re-record something for the umpteenth time, Mike seemed to be having fun in the studio and goofing around with the guys - often he is the one heard most doing funny voices and breaking the tension. Brian really seemed to like Mike's sense of humor. Mike did an amazing job with the vocals and generally seemed very cooperative during the session tapes.

Now maybe later, he would make comments about the sessions, but at the time he seemed to be okay with it.

I'm sure he was cooperative plenty of times.  Not to mention that his contributions were often great. But then there's also the Old Man River incident.  I wonder if there are existing vault session tapes of that haven't leaked.  And of course, there's the very infamous Cabinessence incident which probably wasn't caught on tape.  

We only have some isolated audible snapshots via audio tapes of what went on in the sessions, even if we have many hours' worth.  It's perhaps fair to draw *some* conclusions from those... but during the era when things started getting uglier there seems to be less booted material, with the cut off point for the SOT series and all.  

With all the missing pieces, and with what we know from those two sessions that I mentioned above, I think it's hard to fully agree with your initial statement. Yet still, there is probably some truth to it though. I would also never discount the amount of potentially unflattering and regrettable things that could've been said or done outside of the studio, amplified by the perceptions of sensitive bandmates.  A pro can show up and do their job, but create all sorts of havoc and damage with subtle, passive aggressive actions outside of the workplace.   None of us know the extent, we can  only guess based on the snapshots of someone's personality which we can piece together throughout the years of the words they publicly say and how they say them. Just IMHO.

But overall, it does seem that at sessions, both Mike and Brian were the guys who would crack the most jokes and say silly stuff either out of boredom or to ease the tension.  Now that I think about it, it's interesting how we have very little in the way of in studio session material/multiple takes from the era after Brian stepped down from producing.  I wonder how that changed how Mike acted, as well as the other guys. Take one person out and the entire personality dynamic changes.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:25:49 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 02:18:21 PM »

I'm not gettin' sucked in again.  Mike was just fine when everything was going his way.  Then the world changed.  [except for Mike].  Then he became bitter.  Then he began to try and rewrite the story and make himself appear more integral.  He already was important.  He'd already made his contributions.  But 'bitter' began to drive his truck.  He crashed.  He burned.  And since then...it's been mostly about revenge.  "Nourishment and revenge" as  ***HE*** puts it.

Oops...the suckage is hard to avoid...and ***he*** sure does suck.  Ya... iguess he's OK..."except when he talks". [or sings]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 04:56:39 AM »

We have audio proof that Mike is a pretty reasonable guy in the studio.

Then we have many stories that say what a monster he was, and that he said "this" or "that" but I was wondering if anything in the audio archives exist to support (m)any of the negative things. Although we have only isolated audio snapshots of what went on in the studios, they are overwhelmingly positive.

Again, I am referring to the attitude at the time of the recordings and not something he said later, because Mike can often undo much of the good he did by opening his mouth about it later.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 06:38:07 AM »

Yeah, the guy's a real ace, that is from the bottom of the deck.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 08:09:41 AM »

OSD! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »

We have audio proof that Mike is a pretty reasonable guy in the studio.

Then we have many stories that say what a monster he was, and that he said "this" or "that" but I was wondering if anything in the audio archives exist to support (m)any of the negative things. Although we have only isolated audio snapshots of what went on in the studios, they are overwhelmingly positive.

Again, I am referring to the attitude at the time of the recordings and not something he said later, because Mike can often undo much of the good he did by opening his mouth about it later.

I don't think anybody has much accused Mike of being problematic in the studio once he's actually recording.

To me, that's less a case of "excluding interviews, Mike seems okay", and more like "Despite an inflammatory tone in most interviews, Mike appears to have usually been professional and willing once at the microphone and ready to record."

To the degree Mike was problematic on the music side, that sort of stuff usually took place outside of the studio. I don't think he has often been accused of a being an a-hole literally *at the mic.*

We do have a report of the 1995 reunion session where Mike is being rather antagonistic in the studio, as well as the 2012 Rolling Stone article detailing Mike not being a fan of the album's ending suite upon playback in the control room.

I don't think there's a mass of evidence of Mike sayin "F**k you, I'm not singing this" while at the mic in the studio. But saying that he seems "okay" excluding interviews is kind of like those eBay auctions that say "Guitar is mint condition other than the replacement neck, cracked headstock, and bridge that's hanging off the body by one loose screw."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 05:13:46 PM »

I wish Mike was a little more outspoken in the past when albums full of dreck were recorded and released, like MIU, maybe some of those trainwrecks could have been avoided.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 05:17:52 PM »

But luckily, M.I.U. exists. :D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 06:22:13 PM »

I'll take OSD with the first pick on my fantasy team. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 02:26:48 PM »

He was on April 24, 2011, 02:45:13 PM! Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx