gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:49:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Humming nonexistent additional vocal/instrument lines to existing BB songs  (Read 2649 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2017, 07:31:45 PM »

Does anyone else find themselves coming up with and humming an extra, made-up wordless vocal line, or an extra, made-up guitar line (or other instrument) line to an existing BB song?

I found myself doing this today while listening to Johnny Carson - coming up with some extra wordless vocal lines (oohs and aahs) that aren't actually in the song. Maybe it's because the song is so sparse that it feels a bit naked (and in need of some extra parts), but I've certainly found myself doing this in the past with other tracks, including tracks that are plenty filled-out already.

Curious if anyone else does this, and to what song(s).
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 08:19:52 PM »

The one that came to mind is on Mona when the line "Cantchya cantchya cantchya just hear it" comes up, and all the lines after that, the notes for the vocal in the song are : Cantchya (E) cantchya (D) cantchya (C) just (B) hear (B) it (B), and so on. But I always sing it like this (sorry for those who don't understand this, I can't really explain it any other way):

Cantchya (E)
Cantchya (D)
Cantchya (C)
Just (B)
Hear (F sharp/G flat)
It (B)

I always sing it like that for the lines: "Cantchya cantchya cantchya just hear it", "Rock n rock n rock n roll music", "Will ya will ya will ya just kiss me",  and "When you leave me don't you just miss me".

I was drunk one night and I heard the background vocals of Let Us Go On This Way starting at :38 as "Do me Lord, Do me Lord". I can't forget it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:24:05 PM by Adult Child » Logged

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 08:23:08 PM »

The one that came to mind is on Mona when the line "Cantchya cantchya cantchya just hear it" comes up, and all the lines after that, the notes for the vocal in the song are : Cantchya (E) cantchya (D) cantchya (C) just (B) hear (B) it (B), and so on. But I always sing it like this (sorry for those who don't understand this, I can't really explain it any other way):

Cantchya (E)
Cantchya (D)
Cantchya (C)
Just (B)
Hear (F sharp/G flat)
It (B)

I always sing it like that for the lines: "Cantchya cantchya cantchya just hear it", "Rock n rock n rock n roll music", "Will ya will ya will ya just kiss me",  and "When you leave me don't you just miss me".

I'll think of some more.

This is awesome, thanks for sharing. Exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for!

Especially, I tend to think with as many musicians as there are who listen to this band, there will be plenty more examples...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 02:10:42 AM »

Brilliant topic, CD. And they say there is only so much you can say about The Beach Boys!

I often do this. I do it to "The Word". Have I ever done it to a BB song? No idea. I shall keep my eyes, ears, nose and throat peeled...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 04:53:50 AM »

Yes, brilliant topic.
I do that all the time, with any kind of music, usually adding harmony lines. Regarding the Beach Boys, my fav is, when listening to "Do You Like Worms?", singing aloud that tantalising vocal snippet Brian sings for (alas) few seconds in Disc 3 of the Smile Sessions, as brlliantly completed by a Smiley Smile fan:

(uptempo, crescendo)
"Once upon the Sandwich Isles, the social structure streamed upon HAWAII!" (jumping up one octave on HAWAII)

Yes, I know the lyrics say "steamed", but I prefer "streamed". Smiley
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 05:21:23 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 05:14:20 AM »

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes. I'm always adding harmony lines where there are none, or sometimes little countermelodies or background vocals that don't exist. Off the top of my head I can't think of specifics, but I'll make a mental note to do so and report back. Unless I forget. Which I probably will.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 10:14:37 AM »

Yeah, it wasn't until I really got into the Beach Boys that my interest in vocal harmonies piqued. Ever since then I've been singing along and (conveniently) experimenting with harmonies where my limited range (on both ends) runs out. Not so much wordless background vocals, but most often I'll sing lower harmonies to Brian's mid-60s leads that effortlessly transition to falsetto leaving me in his dust!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:17:37 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 10:29:45 AM »

Yeah, it wasn't until I really got into the Beach Boys that my interest in vocal harmonies piqued.
My dad and older brothers got me into harmonies when I was maybe about 8-9. I remember it like yesterday! We were on a long, car-trip vacation and one of my brothers bought a cheap Kingston Trio cassette at a gas station. My parents had been fans of the Kingston Trio back when they were around the first time, so they were into it. And they began singing various harmony parts between the three of them. I was really confused at first, until they drew my attention to the fact: there are multiple correct parts to sing. What the...! Light goes on, bells sound, heaven opens. Then they showed me how to use my ear to find (nonexistent) harmonies on other music, too.

It made cramped travel in a station wagon as good as it can be. (Which isn't very good.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 11:06:13 AM »

That's a great experience, Captain! Wish I had a similar story. My dad was never into music and I'm the oldest, so I missed out...My mom passed down her great taste in music to me Grin and I played bass in a few bands in middle school/high school, but it wasn't until my 20s that the Beach Boys/Brian Wilson showed me the light. Which was great, because it was like discovering music all over again. I wish I had taken music more seriously growing up. I just took enough lessons to be able to play in a band, but I couldn't be bothered to learn to read music or study music theory.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 11:08:23 AM »

I was almost the opposite: I ended up liking music theory almost more than playing music! In college I hated my jazz band and dropped my jazz performance major (for theory / composition) and steadfastly refused to join my friend's (rock/pop) band. I don't know what the hell was in my head at the time, actually. I think I just liked being an asshole. I wasn't always the sweetheart this board knows and loves.  LOL

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »

I sing a melody over Let's Go Away for Awhile, from the point where the guitar solo starts to the end.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx