gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:24:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you think is better version?
Cotton Fields [Single Version]
Cotton Fields [Album Version]

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BotS #3: Cotton Fields (Single Ver. vs Album Ver.)  (Read 4226 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2017, 10:24:10 PM »

Here's another BotS between two versions of Cotton Fields, 20/20 Album Version and Single Version.

Cotton Fields arranged mainly by Brian was released on 20/20 at first, but someone in the group might not be satisfied with this version, and released the single version arranged by Al. It became a big hit for the group in some countries such as the UK, Japan, and Australia.   

In Japan, I've seen some people who love the single version, and some who hate it. The former say it has some memories with them... because it is one of a few BB songs that made a big hit in 70's. One of the later says the single version is jarring and "vulgar",  and he says it's because the lack of Al's talent.

I once said that I prefer album version on PSF, but single version has been growing on me. It's powerful and more entertaining.

Now, which version do you prefer? Looking forward to seeing your interesting views  Smiley

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 10:32:15 PM »

Thanks for recollections, very interesting to hear the other fans' perspectives.

Single is catchier, the album is patchy. Single features the instruments that fit the song like "ski glove".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 10:37:18 PM »

I think I know what Brian was going for on the album version, but the single version boasts nice pedal steel, better harmonies, a more rocking arrangement and most of all a far better Al lead vocal.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:08:58 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 02:41:34 AM »

The album version is certainly very subdued, evidently too subdued for some, which led to the excellent reworking as a 45, which hit big just about everywhere except the US.

I think the album version works very well as a track on 20/20, coming as it does between Bruce's languid instrumental and the contemplative "I Went To Sleep". At a stretch, you might also say it counterbalances the screaming guitar-fuelled "Bluebirds".

Folks, I'm still out on this...       

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 08:46:11 AM »

I don't have very strong feelings about this, but I most certainly prefer the album version of Cotton Fields. I love the bass sound and it's prominence in the mix. The main sticking point for me is that, while subdued, the production of the album version does seem to serve the song better. It may be an instance of Brian leaving you wanting more, in a good way. The trademark BBs harmonies finally swelling to the forefront starting at 1:59. I always look forward to that. Conversely, the single version sounds jammed packed with  every idea Al (and whoever else) had at the time, regardless of how it served the song. From first listen the 'Loop de Loop' bit sung by Mike bothered me. How does that fit? I suppose it wouldn't bother me as much if I hadn't ever heard it in another context, but still... there are changes/additions to the single version that a think work wonderfully and others that sound out of place (some of the 'wahh-ooos'). I don't wanna sound like I'm coming down too hard on the single version. It's nice. It was successful and I'm glad it was. I like to listen to it from time to time. The album version would not have excited people like the single version did.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:33:15 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 02:29:47 AM »

The winner is Single Version.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx