gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:57:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The New Wilburys  (Read 1907 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2017, 06:03:45 AM »

Some of the speculation in the Brian-as-Wilbury thread in the on-topic forum inspired me to start yet another of those threads the what-if haters will hate. But as the modern American poet T. Swift said, "a hater's gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate / and a player's gonna play, play, play, play, play, play / I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake, shake / shake it off. Shake it off. Whoo hoo hoo."

The original band comprised five stars whose initial fame (and in most cases, biggest successes) were about 10 to 30 years prior to the Wilburys. While some had collaborated, none had ever been in a group together before. They didn't necessarily have to fill out the instrumental performances themselves. Using the same criteria as a framework, what five musicians do you think would make for a fun new take on the Wilburys concept? We're looking at people whose introduction to the popular consciousness began no earlier than 1987 and no later than about 2007.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 08:01:42 AM »

I might be going a little too early 80s, but........

Vox / Guitar - Jon Bon Jovi
Guitar / Vox - Zakk Wylde
Bass / Vox - Jack Blades
Guitar / Vox - Justin Hawkins
Guitar / vox - Jerry Cantrell
Drums - Lars
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 09:48:18 AM »

I think my group might look something like this:

Darian Sahanaja - the glue guy who can pull things together, contribute vocally and on keyboard / pitched percussion instruments, write songs, arrange, produce, etc.
Mark "E" Everett (Eels) - probably on drums here, if the band was going to be self-contained, but can play whatever, write songs, and contribute some vocals.
Joanna Newsom - keyboards and vocals, great lyricist and songwriter in general, nice change-of-pace vocally
Sam Beam (Iron & Wine) - guitar / bass, great songwriter, folky side would mesh well with E while he also brings a little swampy swagger
Robert Harrison (Cotton Mather, Future Clouds & Radar) - guitar / bass, great Lennonesque voice and good songwriter, brings some pop glory that would mesh well with Sahanaja, another side of Everett

The band represents a pretty broad spectrum of pop music from folk to a kind of highbrow composition to straight-ahead, classic power pop, to chamber pop, with a (very) little jazz / soul in there, too. Everyone can contribute vocally, ranging from clear pristine voices to scratchy rugged ones. And they all can write cool stuff. So that's my band.

Not quite the supergroup the first one was in terms of fame, but hey, it's my supergroup.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

KDS
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 09:11:45 AM »

I'm going with a bit of a different criteria here in that, these are just some guys I've love to hear do music together as I think it would be a great blend.

Billy Joel - piano / vox
Bruce Springsteen - guitar / vox
Bob Seger - guitar / vox
John Fogerty - Guitar / vox

Have the E Street Band back them up. 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 07:07:58 PM »

Jenny Lewis sort of put together a new Wilburys on her Rabbit Fur Coat album when she covered Handle with Care alongside Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes, Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie, and M. Ward of She & Him. https://youtu.be/QXh94o7tAxQ

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 07:16:12 PM »

That was a good album. The last she did that I liked, actually. That recording is nice and welcome, but there's something about it that never connected for me. As if maybe it were slightly too fast and too straight.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx