gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:39:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: You're So Good To Me and Lonely Sea by The Beatles?  (Read 7884 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:39:49 PM »

I asked if this was true on PSF and many people there said it was fake.

It's You're So Good To Me and Lonely Sea performed by the Beatles during the Get Back sessions.

This video: https://youtu.be/v74MCftQ0xM

Do you think it's true, or is it just a fake?
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 09:42:03 PM »

fake fake fake fake fake  Roll Eyes
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 10:53:47 PM »

actually this IS them and it is real....this is a well known bootleg recording ,,,of course it is just jamming like most of the Get Back sessions and it has bits of "two of us" on it ..and even if it wasn't a well known bootleg recording it's pretty obvious that it IS The Beatles based on their voices alone but also  it is very consistent with the other known Get Back stuff..
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 10:57:31 PM »

And this site confirms it,,, Grin

https://www.beatlesbible.com/features/get-back-let-it-be-sessions-complete-song-list/
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 11:02:14 PM »

ok Groucho, after a relisten, yeap, does sound genuine.
i've changed my mind  LOL
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 06:23:17 AM »

Yes, the recording is real.

It has been eons since I listened to all those scraps of the "Get Back" sessions, but between my recollection and what others eventually deduced, I think it's likely that while their rattling off of a bit of "You're So Good To Me" is most certainly the BB song (it sounds like it starts out as a riff and then eventually George places where it came from and starts mumbling the melody of the song), while "Lonely Sea" may just be a case of doing a similar riff/series of chords as the BB song. I tend to doubt any of the band were super familiar with that song.

I'm guessing George may have only had some level of familiarity with "You're So Good to Me" because it had been the b-side of "Sloop John B" that had been a #2 hit in the UK less than three years prior.

They noodled on so many things during those sessions, there are still debates about a few of the songs in question. It went back and forth numerous times on whether that Paul piano bit heard at the beginning of the "Let It Be" film is an actual attempt to play Barber's "Adagio for Strings" or just some noodling influenced by it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 06:27:55 AM »

It has been eons since I listened to all those scraps of the "Get Back" sessions, but between my recollection and what others eventually deduced, I think it's likely that while their rattling off of a bit of "You're So Good To Me" is most certainly the BB song (it sounds like it starts out as a riff and then eventually George places where it came from and starts mumbling the melody of the song), while "Lonely Sea" may just be a case of doing a similar riff/series of chords as the BB song. I tend to doubt any of the band were super familiar with that song.

I'm guessing George may have only had some level of familiarity with "You're So Good to Me" because it had been the b-side of "Sloop John B" that had been a #2 hit in the UK less than three years prior.

They noodled on so many things during those sessions, there are still debates about a few of the songs in question. It went back and forth numerous times on whether that Paul piano bit heard at the beginning of the "Let It Be" film is an actual attempt to play Barber's "Adagio for Strings" or just some noodling influenced by it.
Maybe they saw Girls on the Beach film which features the Lonely Sea and became familiar with it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 06:35:43 AM »

Maybe they saw Girls on the Beach film which features the Lonely Sea and became familiar with it.

Certainly anything is possible. But just from a guitar player/musical standpoint, that arpeggio and chord progression is common enough it could literally be *nothing*, and it just sounds like "Lonely Sea."

I couldn't begin to guess as to whether the Beatles would have been into the Frankie & Annette knock-off film "Girls on the Beach", but in general it's always good to remember that the Beatles' interest in the Beach Boys mainly applies to only Paul, tends to apply mostly to Paul's interest in *Brian*, and tends to apply mostly to "Pet Sounds." Howie Edelson has also mentioned he feels McCartney was also influenced by "Sunflower" (I wish Paul then would comment on it somewhere somehow). In any event, McCartney's interest in Brian and the BBs seems to be mainly confined to a pretty small hunk of the BB catalog. The Beatles surely had passing familiarity with the hits from back in the day.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 06:58:32 AM »

Interesting. I will have to give them a listen as soon as I can dismiss my 7th grade band.  LOL
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 10:26:01 AM »

Someone is actually singing recognizable lyrics from "You're So Good to Me" in that clip. Don't think that one's particularly debatable.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 10:46:49 AM »

Interesting. Always heard they had done "You're So Good To Me" but hadn't heard the actual recording before. What's never been mentioned, though it is evident here, is that from YSGTM they got a riff that ended up in Two of Us. That was a real strength of The Beatles that they could take from other sources but instantly tweak it into something else so that it became uniquely their own.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:50:06 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 11:16:25 AM »

Interesting. Always heard they had done "You're So Good To Me" but hadn't heard the actual recording before. What's never been mentioned, though it is evident here, is that from YSGTM they got a riff that ended up in Two of Us. That was a real strength of The Beatles that they could take from other sources but instantly tweak it into something else so that it became uniquely their own.

Awesome.

It would be interesting to hear someone try to sing Two of Us over the backing track of YSGTM.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 04:38:15 PM »

Hahaha people thinking this is fake, what, The Beatles are too good to get inspired by The Beach Boys throughout their -entire- career? sorry, but they were massive fans all along:

"(John) Lennon's enthusiasm is evident in his reaction to the Beach Boys single "Little Girl I Once Knew" (November, 1965): "This is the greatest! Turn it up, turn it right up. It's GOT to be a hit. It's the greatest record I've heard for weeks. It's fantastic. I hope it will be a hit. It's all Brian Wilson. He just uses the voices as instruments. He never tours or anything. He just sits at home thinking up fantastic arrangements our of his head. Doesn't even read music. You keep waiting for the fabulous breaks. Great arrangement. It goes on and on with all different things. I hope it's a hit so I can hear it all the time."

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 09:08:43 PM »

What about the panting? The moaning?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 03:50:07 AM »

Hahaha people thinking this is fake, what, The Beatles are too good to get inspired by The Beach Boys throughout their -entire- career? sorry, but they were massive fans all along:

"(John) Lennon's enthusiasm is evident in his reaction to the Beach Boys single "Little Girl I Once Knew" (November, 1965): "This is the greatest! Turn it up, turn it right up. It's GOT to be a hit. It's the greatest record I've heard for weeks. It's fantastic. I hope it will be a hit. It's all Brian Wilson. He just uses the voices as instruments. He never tours or anything. He just sits at home thinking up fantastic arrangements our of his head. Doesn't even read music. You keep waiting for the fabulous breaks. Great arrangement. It goes on and on with all different things. I hope it's a hit so I can hear it all the time."

I've heard that John blamed the Beach Boys in a certain interview around 1980. When did he change his mind?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 05:23:05 AM »

What about the panting? The moaning?

LOL

Great reference
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 06:26:22 AM »

It sounds more like the guitar riff George has formed for the song reminds him of some other song, which in turn then reminds him of "You're So Good To Me."

The original up-tempo version of "Two of Us" didn't have the riff; it evolved after they slowed the song down and applied acoustic guitars to it, etc. George was then left essentially doing a pseudo-bass riff through the song on his guitar, and I believe by the time "You're So Good To Me" is rattled off (for a brief moment really), he had already been doing the riff as they rehearsed the song. More a case of being reminded of one or more other songs based on what they had been doing.

I don't think they were jamming on "You're So Good To Me" and then had the idea to apply its riff (which isn't even really the same riff they ended up using, only have some level of similarity) to a song they were doing.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 06:33:41 AM »

Very cool Lennon quote.

I don't think anybody is saying the Beatles were "too good" to be inspired by the Beach Boys. I do think some BB fans have a hangup and/or a bit of a defensive inferiority complex when it comes to the Beatles (how many threads over the years have floated unfounded theories like Derek Taylor "slipping" the Beatles "Smile" tapes, etc.?).

Were the Beatles *massive* fans of the Beach Boys "all along?" I guess it depends on how one defines "massive." I've said many times that McCartney was only member who regularly even brought Brian and the BBs up (I've tallied so far one instance I can find where Harrison and Lennon even say the band's name; I would imagine there are more, but they may number very few), and McCartney pretty much always cites specifically "Pet Sounds" and even then only a few key tracks on the album.

I think John especially (and perhaps to some degree George) respected Paul's musical tastes to the point where they wouldn't have ever downplayed Brian's talent and importance. They must have known Brian was one of very few actual peers they had in popular music at the time. They also were listening to the radio and the charts enough to be familiar with the Beach Boys to some degree.

But I'd probably have trouble calling anybody other than Paul a "massive Beach Boys fan." Just like I probably wouldn't say Paul was a "massive Ravi Shankar" fan even if I understood that Paul respected and enjoyed Shankar's work and gave weight to George being so into him.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 07:27:50 AM »

The world was smaller in the 60s. Less music. You didn't have to be a BBs super fan to know them. They were part of the landscape for everyone.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 07:33:56 AM »

I've also said quite a few times that there were reports beyond McCartney and the Pet Sounds instances where various Beatles were talking about the Beach Boys music and how they were fans, before Pet Sounds. Read journalist Larry Kane's book, for one, which is a diary of the 64 and 65 tours especially, when Kane accompanied the band on those tours as a young reporter and struck up a friendship with them. There are mentions of both George and Ringo, I can check for specifics, talking about the Beach Boys on various legs of those tours and meeting up with them when they were both in the same city on a tour stop. So it wasn't just McCartney.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »

Keep in mind that Paul was gonna be in the "Do It Again" music video, but it didn't end up coming through. Which obviously may have helped it become an even bigger hit if that had been the case.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 11:38:16 AM »

Come on man, add up every references the Beatles did to the Beach Boys over their entire career, it's pretty obvious they were fans all along, yeah the Beach Boys put California on the map and invented new music, but still.

Keep in mind that Paul was gonna be in the "Do It Again" music video, but it didn't end up coming through. Which obviously may have helped it become an even bigger hit if that had been the case.

Is there any source or actual quote on that? never heard of it
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 11:41:51 AM »

To me, the issue isn't so much whether we can dig up an instance where the individual Beatles mentioned the BBs. It would be really weird if there weren't some examples.

But, over the years, apart from mostly McCartney and mostly PS, I didn't hear all of them continuously citing Brian and the BBs either as an influence or even just mentioning admiration. It doesn't mean they didn't all admire Brian and the BBs. It doesn't mean there was never any shred of influence. It just doesn't then necessarily rise to the level of major influence or all of the individual members being massive fans.

Howie Edelson put it eloquently in an old post, which first set to address the weird myth that the Beatles were slipped "Smile" tapes, which I realize isn't the topic at hand, but then also goes into the heart of where the Beatles and Beach Boys met:

With all due respect, this is such a dumb topic. And really, shame on those who’ve mislead or blindly perpetrated this myth -- which is all connected to the hangup that The Beach Boys weren’t The Beatles and that Brian Wilson wasn’t Lennon/McCartney. It all stems from fan hangups. (e.g. My team was robbed of the pennant!)

Knowing what I know about Paul McCartney and The Beatles I can honestly say, that as much as McCartney loved Pet Sounds and Brian Wilson’s work, he really only had a passing interest in it. The same as Lennon had with Dylan. It was a case of “Wow, this is my peer. One of my ONLY peers. They get it, too.” But Paul McCartney had so much magic pouring out of him in 1966/1967, that he didn’t need to crib ideas -- and as we all know, he’s gone on record stating he wasn’t so hot on “Good Vibrations.”

The only artist Paul McCartney was ever chomping at the bit to hear their new works was John Lennon.
And that’s that.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 11:48:18 AM »

It sounds more like the guitar riff George has formed for the song reminds him of some other song, which in turn then reminds him of "You're So Good To Me."

The original up-tempo version of "Two of Us" didn't have the riff; it evolved after they slowed the song down and applied acoustic guitars to it, etc. George was then left essentially doing a pseudo-bass riff through the song on his guitar, and I believe by the time "You're So Good To Me" is rattled off (for a brief moment really), he had already been doing the riff as they rehearsed the song. More a case of being reminded of one or more other songs based on what they had been doing.

I don't think they were jamming on "You're So Good To Me" and then had the idea to apply its riff (which isn't even really the same riff they ended up using, only have some level of similarity) to a song they were doing.

Fair enough - I was probably mishearing.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 11:48:49 AM »

Come on man, add up every references the Beatles did to the Beach Boys over their entire career

I'd be curious to know what other fans, especially BB fans, feel are direct references in Beatles material to the Beach Boys. There are certainly some broad areas (McCartney's bass lines), some instrumentation on things like Pepper, "Here There and Everywhere", and a few items that amount almost to pastiche ("Back in the USSR", a little bit on McCartney's "Vintage Clothes").

Howie Edelson likes to point out some nods to "Sunflower" in "Ram" if we want to go more into the solo years. I hear the references, though I'm also curious if McCartney has ever actually gone on record talking about "Sunflower" in any interviews.

But I've never felt the Beatles catalog or their solo years were just jam-packed with Beach Boys/Brian references, especially compared to all of their other contemporary or recent-past influences at any given time.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx