gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:42:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Very Short and Specific Moments That Evoke Unusually Strong Emotions  (Read 10367 times)
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 05:31:18 PM »

Those final 'na na na's at the very end of Surf's Up, the faint echo gives me chills everytime.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 06:15:54 PM »

So many thousands of sublime sound snippets.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 07:13:23 PM »

The violins that come in after: "I've been waiting to see the change in you / You can do it just the way you used to do" lines in "Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long." An astonishing touch. And there are no violins anywhere else in the tune.
Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 08:23:24 PM »

The brief oboe (I think it's an oboe correct me if I'm wrong) after Brian sings "I'm better on my own" in Pacific Coast Highway. 

It sounds like a cross between an oboe and a violin! There's too little body and too much vibrato for an oboe, I feel.

It might conceivably be a keyboard... 

It sounds like a violin.
Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2017, 08:33:58 PM »

-"I" (the very first word in Good Vibrations)
-"Come be my redeemer"
-The halt before "Hung velvet overtaken me..."
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2017, 09:13:50 PM »

Think about the subject for minutes and I found almost EVERY Beach Boys song has some moments to hook me. (and that's why I love them)

Maybe I'll sort out the best of these moments later....
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2017, 09:53:07 PM »

"Music is in my soul". I have never identified with any single piece of music or song lyric as I do that one.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Amalgamate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2017, 10:02:49 PM »

Two moments off Pet Sounds stand out.

After the instrumental break, there's the hook "God Only Knows What I'd be without you..." But it stays on the same chord and continues into the verse: "If you should ever leave me..." I don't know why, but it gives it such a sense of urgency and seriousness. It's nothing special, and yet it's probably my favorite moment in the song.

Also the part in Sloop John B. where the instruments drop out and you have all that vocal counterpoint going on is H E A V E N L Y. It's a contender for favorite moment on the album, period.

I tricked a club promoter into playing "The Elements" at a show and it was *fire*.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 10:03:07 PM »

・One of the alternate version of God Only Knows whose coda is a cappela always kills me and take me to heaven,  just because of You're So Good To Me-like coda.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:11:04 PM by Watamushi » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2017, 10:08:28 PM »

'dont worry baby' drum into. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2017, 04:22:18 AM »

-"I" (the very first word in Good Vibrations)

Yessss. Just everything about that song. 'I Can See For Miles' by The Who, 'Tomorrow Never Knows' by The Beatles, and 'Good Vibrations' are a few of the only songs that sound like they could've been recorded 100 years from now. That "I" coupled with the organ in that intro, it sounds magical. The making of this song in Love and Mercy is such a great scene, Brian sitting there in the booth, hands up, moving to the rhythm of the intro. Doesn't get much better than that.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2017, 05:32:38 AM »

The brief oboe (I think it's an oboe correct me if I'm wrong) after Brian sings "I'm better on my own" in Pacific Coast Highway. 

It sounds like a cross between an oboe and a violin! There's too little body and too much vibrato for an oboe, I feel.

It sounds like a violin.

Could be.  I'm not very well versed on such instruments, but that moment is wonderful.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2017, 08:17:16 AM »

The crazy Hawaiian guitar and BW's chant in "do you like worms". Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2017, 02:45:38 PM »

The first "knows" in the first chorus of "She Knows me too Well" and the "she" in "she can tell", same song, same chorus. Such mean lyrics sung so beautifully. I think it's my favorite vocal. Today, anyway.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »

The first "knows" in the first chorus of "She Knows me too Well" and the "she" in "she can tell", same song, same chorus. Such mean lyrics sung so beautifully. I think it's my favorite vocal. Today, anyway.

I've always had a "thing" for that vocal.  Absolutely everything worked.  Oddly, the lyrics for the time were revealing...somewhat "mea culpa" re: the macho/male domination environment that was so strong at that time.  To be a real man, you had to know how to treat the little woman.  This actually expresses some regret.  We had to start somewhere...
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2017, 07:39:35 PM »

Debbie, you make such a good point. How much time do I spend talking to people who don't even recognize a double standard?
1/2 is much better than none.
And, yeah, the vocal is amazing: rich, clear, soaring, mesmerizing.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2017, 03:40:24 AM »

It sounds like a violin.

Could be.  I'm not very well versed on such instruments, but that moment is wonderful.

On reflection, I'm sure Silken is right. Looking at the instrumental credits in the CD booklet (and after a few more listens), it can't be anything else.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2017, 05:43:11 AM »

So many, so many... how to choose?
Without much thought:

The wordless vocals at the end of "Meant For You".
The tympani introducing "Worms".
The middle section in "From There to Back Again".
EVERY a capella (or near a capella) break in a BB song.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 05:51:09 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2017, 04:57:56 AM »

EVERY a capella (or near a capella) break in a BB song.

I agree with this 100%
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2017, 01:02:46 PM »

So many great ones listed here...and so many of them coming from Brian's "yin" side.

Here are three that (as far as I can tell) have yet to be mentioned:

--The "my love is burning brightly" tag for "Ail i Wanna Do," with all the amazing vocal backgrounds and the mind-blowing Desper instrumental swirl. Whew!

--The "sometimes I feel very sad" vocal setpiece sung by Brian toward the end of "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times"--so many flavors of his voice captured in twenty sections (including the "put my heart and soul into" that you'd figure to it be a line sung by Mike but Brian brings what VDP called "physicality" to it in a way that no one else could possibly have done...)

--Finally (no surprise to anyone familiar with me), the tag on "Mess of Help," the strangest, funkiest, most complex tag (when you factor in the blend of vocals and instruments) in their career. Carl does a superb job of channeling Brian's approach here with a tune that starts out sounding like it couldn't possibly be the BBs but by its end it's clear that it could not have been done by anyone other than the BBs.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2017, 01:49:27 PM »

Deep and wide. It makes me feel like I stand on top of a mountain, look at the valley below and see the universe above me... Gets me every time.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2017, 10:47:11 PM »

Carl's vocals on the bridge of "Givin' You Up"... they are sung so sweetly and with such aching sensitivity, and it's a damn shame that nobody ever talks about this song whatsoever!  Ridiculously beautiful vocals. I have played that bridge over and over repeatedly whenever I listen to the song.

Until recently, I had rarely listened to either of his solo albums, but there are definitely some gems waiting to be rediscovered on there.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:53:11 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2017, 11:19:24 PM »

When the piano starts the bridge of "thoughts of you" always gets me.

Also, "Its a love thing!" Certainly invokes an involuntary response of some sort...haha
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2017, 12:40:47 AM »

The start of the 2nd verse of GOK, right as the strings hit.

Seconds :10 through :13 of Our Favorite Recording Sessions.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »

The Whispering Winds segue into Wind Chimes on Brian's Smile album always used to shake me up emotionally.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx