gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:19:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Very Short and Specific Moments That Evoke Unusually Strong Emotions  (Read 10363 times)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2017, 05:20:14 AM »

These are moments that I cannot explain, but they are very short and they elicit a strong, involuntary response. Some examples:

The intro to Don't Worry Baby, but only after the outro of Fun, Fun, Fun. There is something about that lead-in that makes the DWB intro even more powerful. Coming off Fun, Fun, Fun - I think, "how can this get and better?!" And it is like Brian read my mind and responded, "Like this..." A real OMG moment for me...

Heroes and Villains theme isolated piano riff. Absolutely riveting and haunting.

Brian's chanting section of Rio Grande with the "Big, big, big sky". I get the feeling of dread; of accidentally witnessing something I should not be seeing. Probably watched the Thuggee ceremony from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom too many times. LOL.

These random moments give me goosebumps.

The acappella "ahhhhhhh" break in Good Vibrations right before the fade. Rarely do I hear the guys hit it live. But the recorded version is absolute perfection.
The acappella Wouldn't It Be Nice right as the entire group harmonizes for the first time.
The repeated 8-note synth riff on Feel Flows directly before Carl sings "Encasing all embracing wreath of repose..."
The "domino" part of Surf's Up.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 05:20:52 AM by Rick5150 » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 05:37:46 AM »

- After Caroline, No fades out on the 40th anniversary album of Pet Sounds, there is a moment of a cappella backing vocals from WIBN that play for about 10 seconds and it sent goosebumps down my spine when I heard it the first time.

- Brian's first "columnated ruins domino" on the 1967 demo track of 'Surf's Up'.

- the 'Don't Talk' vocal snippet from the Pet Sounds sessions.

- any given moment from the Smile backing vocals montage. But more specifically just how perfect the backing vocals from the "girls and boys" section of 'Heroes and Villains' (for that matter, the harpsichord playing/chord progression for that section is achingly beautiful too).

- the harmony outro for 'vegetables' it is so brilliantly silly and beautiful - yet, at least for me, evokes a lot of emotion.

- the wordless harmony outro for 'Don't Go Near The Water' - coupled with the harmonica, it's a vibrant gem in a really underrated album (not underrated for hardcore fans, but the general public)

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 05:50:02 AM »

The brief oboe (I think it's an oboe correct me if I'm wrong) after Brian sings "I'm better on my own" in Pacific Coast Highway. 
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 07:47:49 AM »

"Deep and wide!!!"

Our Prayer.

One For the Boys

The way the sax snarls into Heroes and Villains with BWPS

The previously mentioned "ahhhhhhhhhhhh" in Good Vibrations

Rhapsody in Blue...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 07:49:09 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Scaroline No
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 08:00:49 AM »

How short does it have to be to be considered very short?

The stand outs:

The "aaaahhhhh" vocalizations at the end of You Still Believe In Me.

The Hum-Bee-Dum insert in the Smile Sessions version of Good Vibrations.

The "wait for it" aah-ooom-bop-diddit in This Whole World.

The instrumental section of Don't Worry Baby. Really. It just has a vibe about it...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 08:30:31 AM »

The gorgeous echo/reverb on the words "for these times" at 2:48 right at the end of the acapella section (the very last words of the section where all the music briefly drops out) found only on the alternate version of IJWMFTT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGU8dMaQmZ4
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:43:45 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 08:41:00 AM »

And the ending wordless series of “ahhs” at the end of Melt Away, starting at 2:31, which are ONLY found on the 1988 original issue release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBTsx3J_0JU

These are simply so gorgeous, it’s beyond words.

They screwed the pooch when the BW88 album was reissued in 2000, and the “remastered” version is inadvertently missing them at the same timecode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9spymNA7PQ

and unfortunately, this “remastered” version is the “normal” go-to version for most people, including how it was for me (for years) when I first heard the song. It was only much later when, thanks to this board, I learned of the proper original 1988 mix, and was BLOWN AWAY by hearing this small, but powerful part.

This "remastered" version should have been quarantined and banished, but it's out there and most people unfortunately think that's THE version of the song, when in fact it's a mistake.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:43:57 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 10:00:01 AM »

CD, I think I completely forgot about the original ending to Melt Away when I first heard the original. I bought the vinyl from eBay and was pleasantly surprised by such a simple harmony yet it adds so much to the song. It is dumbfounding that they left it off the mix for the reissue.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »

The whirling flutes on 'God Only Knows' beneath Carl's vocal, just before the end tag.

Ever single goshdarn second of 'Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)', but especially the heartbeat bass line, the unbearably beautiful string overdub, the ache in Brian's voice, and most of all, the rising and descending melody that gives me goosebumps every single time. I know that's not short, but take your pick. It's all perfection.

The opening notes of 'The Warmth of the Sun', the way Brian's falsetto cry over the boys' soft bed of harmonies enter your consciousness, feeling the last rays of the sun on your face... it's all very sad yet very comforting.

The pivot point in the middle of 'Surf's Up' ("surf's up, mmmm, mmmm aboard a tidal wave..."), the late great Paul Williams described it as the summation of everything Brian had done up to that point (1966) and the dawning of a whole new frontier that he was gazing out over. Or something like that.

Brian's "everybody's gone surfin'..." falsetto in the chorus of 'Surfin' USA'. The first true falsetto vocal on the first truly great Beach Boys track. As Ben Kenobi once said, "you've taken your first steps into a larger world."

There are so many more, but I don't want to take up too much space with a single post. I'll be back for more.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:51:22 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 10:55:59 AM »

The whirling flutes on 'God Only Knows' beneath Carl's vocal, just before the end tag.

Ever single goshdarn second of 'Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)', but especially the heartbeat bass line, the unbearably beautiful string overdub, the ache in Brian's voice, and most of all, the rising and descending melody that gives me goosebumps every single time. I know that's not short, but take your pick. It's all perfection.

The opening notes of 'The Warmth of the Sun', the way Brian's falsetto cry over the boys' soft bed of harmonies enter your consciousness, feeling the last rays of the sun on your face... it's all very sad yet very comforting.

The pivot point in the middle of 'Surf's Up' ("surf's up, mmmm, mmmm aboard a tidal wave..."), the late great Paul Williams described it as the summit of everything Brian had done up to that point (1966) and the dawning of a whole new frontier that he was gazing out over. Or something like that.

Brian's "everybody's gone surfin'..." falsetto in the chorus of 'Surfin' USA'. The first true falsetto vocal on the first truly great Beach Boys track. As Ben Kenobi once said, "you've taken your first steps into a larger world."

There are so many more, but I don't want to take up too much space with a single post. I'll be back for more.

Augh I was trying to edit my post and it quoted it for a new post instead. Sorry .
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:58:46 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 11:20:27 AM »

There's this part in "Funky Pretty", right after Mike sings "daughter of Neptune, ruler of the sea", where the synths sound like they're coming from outer space or something. Definitely one of the coolest moments of the song!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 11:37:40 AM »

CD, I think I completely forgot about the original ending to Melt Away when I first heard the original. I bought the vinyl from eBay and was pleasantly surprised by such a simple harmony yet it adds so much to the song. It is dumbfounding that they left it off the mix for the reissue.

It's pretty ridiculously lazy how that happened. The Beatles would never have gotten that type of treatment! I know I've read that it's likely because the masters for the BW88 album were a mess and and not properly all together, or mislabeled somehow.

Yet the only good thing about this goof version of the song being so widespread is that it makes the original version an unexpected, amazing treat when a fan finally hears it. Shame it happened to a top tier BW solo track, probably in his top 5.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:42:41 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 12:25:26 PM »

Oh, Caroline, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

If we could...FIND a way. If you would ONLY stay.
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 12:29:29 PM »

And the ending wordless series of “ahhs” at the end of Melt Away, starting at 2:31, which are ONLY found on the 1988 original issue release:

They screwed the pooch when the BW88 album was reissued in 2000, and the “remastered” version is inadvertently missing them at the same timecode:

and unfortunately, this “remastered” version is the “normal” go-to version for most people, including how it was for me (for years) when I first heard the song. It was only much later when, thanks to this board, I learned of the proper original 1988 mix, and was BLOWN AWAY by hearing this small, but powerful part.

This "remastered" version should have been quarantined and banished, but it's out there and most people unfortunately think that's THE version of the song, when in fact it's a mistake.

Just to be clear, the version with the "ah-ahs" missing was withdrawn. The deluxe edition that I have features these vocals.

The same vocal part is also on the IJWMFTT version.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 12:35:44 PM »

well......
well-a well-a
well
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 12:36:21 PM »

"Deep and wide!!!"

Yes! Not sure how I forgot that one!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 01:05:39 PM »

The brief oboe (I think it's an oboe correct me if I'm wrong) after Brian sings "I'm better on my own" in Pacific Coast Highway. 

It sounds like a cross between an oboe and a violin! There's too little body and too much vibrato for an oboe, I feel.

It might conceivably be a keyboard... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 02:02:17 PM »

Just to be clear, the version with the "ah-ahs" missing was withdrawn. The deluxe edition that I have features these vocals.

The same vocal part is also on the IJWMFTT version.

That's right, I do recall hearing that it was withdrawn and subsequently fixed. But the amount of copies that it sold before it got withdrawn must be pretty significant. The damage has been done, because I've found that the wrong version is far and away the most common version one will come across of that song. I purchased my CD copy of BW88 (remastered) in the early 2000s used at a used CD store, and I was totally unaware of this error being an issue (this was the early days of my BB fandom), but years later I discovered that my copy was one of the affected copies.

Curious if anyone knows, when was this error "caught"? Was it hardcore fans online who made a stink, and then it got fixed? I wonder how many months or years it took.  Because the incorrect version is still very frequently the version one will hear on Youtube or streaming sites (as memory serves I think Spotify had or perhaps still has the wrong version). It's just not something that is taken particularly seriously by the artist or the label, which sucks. Because if it was the wrong version of a Pet Sounds song, you can be sure it would be much harder to find that wrong version.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 02:38:04 PM »

I bought a digital copy of BW88 from iTunes back in 2010, it had the flawed version of 'Melt Away'. Currently on Apple Music (and I can only guess other streaming services) the version of 'Melt Away' on BW88 is the flawed version. In an age where streaming music is becoming more popular and CD's are definitely becoming a thing of the past (especially with the upcoming generations) it's a shame that the fixed version isn't available on streaming services for all to hear.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 02:59:52 PM »

I bought a digital copy of BW88 from iTunes back in 2010, it had the flawed version of 'Melt Away'. Currently on Apple Music (and I can only guess other streaming services) the version of 'Melt Away' on BW88 is the flawed version. In an age where streaming music is becoming more popular and CD's are definitely becoming a thing of the past (especially with the upcoming generations) it's a shame that the fixed version isn't available on streaming services for all to hear.

Spot on. It's seriously unacceptable. I hope the bitching and moaning we do on this board can help get this mistake fixed on streaming services! Smiley It's embarrassing that nobody in charge has made the effort to see this get fixed and stay fixed.

It's as if nobody cares except for a few nerds like us on this board. That may be true, but it's still worth fixing.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 03:00:33 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Scaroline No
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 03:33:35 PM »

Oh my gosh, I just heard this version for the first time... it's beautiful. I can't stop listening to it. Thanks for sharing this, I had no idea.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 03:36:41 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 04:50:24 PM »

Oh my gosh, I just heard this version for the first time... it's beautiful. I can't stop listening to it. Thanks for sharing this, I had no idea.

You're most welcome, happy to share the info.  Smiley

Powers that be: time to get this fixed on all streaming services!!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 04:51:29 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 05:14:36 PM »

The first few seconds of "From There To Back Again". You know, the part where you realise how great of a song it is, and the ground suddenly opens from underneath  you...

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 05:18:42 PM »

Opening vocals for can't wait too long...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 05:27:48 PM »

When Brian sings this whole world at the end of said song.  It gives me a feeling of just how big the world is and it sounds like he's sighing thinking about it. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx