gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:09:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sgt. Pepper Anniversary Release  (Read 6517 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2017, 07:43:13 AM »

Have you guys seen this latest announcement? Sgt. Pepper is getting Pet Sounds Sessions-style treatment:

http://sgtpepper.thebeatles.com/
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 08:01:30 AM »

That 6 cd set is insane!  Shocked
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:05:36 AM »

... Why no Carnival of Light Huh

Anyway good decision to clean up the vaults. Looking forward to this.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 10:21:38 AM »

Sweet baby Jesus!!!!!  Shocked All that's missing is "Carnival of Light", and a 3D box.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 11:41:16 AM »

Yeah, McCartney seems to be pro-Carnival of Light coming out. I'm surprised they didn't take the opportunity to put it out here.

Nevertheless, this looks like an amazing compilation.
KDS
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 12:42:19 PM »

Yeah, McCartney seems to be pro-Carnival of Light coming out. I'm surprised they didn't take the opportunity to put it out here.

Nevertheless, this looks like an amazing compilation.

So, The Beatles are jumping on the deluxe reissue gravy train.  I was wondering when they'd finally do that. 

Does this mean 2020 will be a massive Let It Be / Get Back box?  Hopefully with the Let It Be movie on DVD/BluRay. 
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 01:09:58 PM »

I wish they would finally put out Carnival of Light. Paul tried to release it as a part of the Anthology collection in the 90s, but I think it was George who rejected it. I don't think we're ever going to see it released, even though Paul has been trying to get it out for quite some time.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 03:13:47 PM »

Ever since TSS, I've been hoping that The Beatles would take a good look at it and do something similar. I never dreamed that they would actually do something beyond a basic one or two cds of outtakes.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 04:51:14 PM »

I'm disappointed that the 1992 special seems to be only blue ray. I have vivid memories and special(to me) memories of my dad and I watching it on The Disney Channel, and being amazed at the excerpts of the early takes of "Strawberry Fields Forever". 

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 06:13:12 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up! I nearly dismissed this as a belated April Fools joke.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 03:49:37 AM »

I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more traffic. Brow

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 04:00:58 AM »

Did anyone listen to the video promo for this mix on the Amazon page? Those remixes sound bloody amazing. This may be a boxset I have to spring for.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 04:30:05 AM »

Did anyone listen to the video promo for this mix on the Amazon page? Those remixes sound bloody amazing. This may be a boxset I have to spring for.
I did. It sounded very amazing!

I think I'm gonna buy 2CD edition.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 05:53:03 AM »

Two related video:

Said 50th Anniversary Release Promo :www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x-DQBuervc
1992 unreleased documentary film Promo: https://youtu.be/n2uUckwL6oo
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 05:53:35 AM by Watamushi » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 06:48:48 AM »

I'll reserve comment until I can find out what Geoff Emerick's involvement was or is in this project, and specifically the remixes. If Geoff isn't involved, I'm not interested.

And I say that simply because Geoff was as crucial and as vital to the album being what it was and is as the band and George Martin. He won a Grammy for engineering it at age ***21*** and EMI was so shitty they kept the statuette in their executive offices for a time rather than just letting Geoff have it. And this was after EMI invited news crews to Abbey Road to film Ringo giving Geoff the award when it arrived at EMI.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 06:55:40 AM »

I'll reserve comment until I can find out what Geoff Emerick's involvement was or is in this project, and specifically the remixes. If Geoff isn't involved, I'm not interested.

And I say that simply because Geoff was as crucial and as vital to the album being what it was and is as the band and George Martin. He won a Grammy for engineering it at age ***21*** and EMI was so shitty they kept the statuette in their executive offices for a time rather than just letting Geoff have it. And this was after EMI invited news crews to Abbey Road to film Ringo giving Geoff the award when it arrived at EMI.

That is quite an awful story. I read his book and it is one my favorite books I own. That being said, if the mixes sound great and they do more to help me explore and appreciate more of this music, I am definitely going to purchase it.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 07:40:26 AM »

That is quite an awful story. I read his book and it is one my favorite books I own. That being said, if the mixes sound great and they do more to help me explore and appreciate more of this music, I am definitely going to purchase it.

No doubt - actually Geoff's book is where I first heard that story about his Grammy debacle with EMI. I'm on the fence with this one for the moment, and part of that is also because of hearing how both Geoff and George Martin pulled whatever weight they could when the final mix of Pepper was delivered to be mastered, and breaking the rules so to speak, they gave specific instructions (demands?) that the mix they turned in was not to be changed, specific to EQ and balancing and the rest, by the mastering staff. They wanted it presented to the listeners exactly as they approved it and as the band heard it through the studio monitors, and specifically - maybe ironically - the band was hands-on for the mono mixing yet the stereo mix where the band wasn't as involved in the mix process was what helped break ground in terms of mixing a rock album in stereo.

People who dismiss Pepper as "hype" might not realize how in terms of the technology used to create those mixes, it simply had not been done prior to Pepper, and in a lot of ways like Brian's mixes for Pet Sounds and other 65-66-67 mixdowns, what was done in the process could not be replicated because a lot was done "live" and was hit or miss in terms of the mix being a live performance as much as a process.

I'm in no way saying anything about Giles Martin, I think he's done a superb and respectful job with perhaps the recorded legacy of all recorded legacies in terms of 60's rock. But at the same time, Pepper moved the goalposts in the concept of the recording engineer's role and importance in the process of creating the music versus balancing faders, tweaking EQ, and delivering a final mix. If those tabla drums had not been close-mic'ed, if Emerick had not cooked up a way to record McCartney's Rickenbacker bass to deliver those sounds the Beatles were always chasing but not quite getting, if he had not adjusted that tape delay slapback *just right* for Lennon's Day In The Life vocal, if he had not overloaded the preamps and compressed/limited the signal quite the same way as he did on key tracks, if he and the EMI staff had not basically invented EQ units to add to the signal chain to boost frequencies that conventional EQ's could not pinpoint, if he had not recorded and rode those faders on Ringo's ADITL drum fills to specifically answer each of Lennon's lyric lines, etc...we wouldn't have Pepper as we know it.

I'm happy it's happening, for sure! I'm just waiting to be truly excited about this considering the guy who George Martin himself requested get an engineering credit on the album cover at age 21 and won a Grammy should be intimately involved in something like this where creating mixes is involved. I don't know his involvement yet, so I'm waiting.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 10:06:17 AM »

Guitarfool, thanks for the post. It has been ages since I read the book so I guess I completely forgot about that anecdote! I totally see what you mean regarding that original stereo mix. I'll probably see this remix as a study version, so to speak. It's like, the original mono 'Don't Worry Baby' is perfect on the original LP, but I also truly dig the 2009(?) stereo remaster done by Linett, if only because it exposes harmonies kinda lost in the mix.

In that promo for this Sgt Pepper album I can hear horns and other instruments I never heard before (or at least they never caught my ear before), so I think I'm gonna dig this mix no matter what.

Edit; Watamushi, thanks for linking the promo vids!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:15:13 AM by rab2591 » Logged

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 02:34:17 PM »

Geoff is an old man. Judging the box set's worth by the level of his involvement strikes me as kind of dogmatic.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 07:08:57 PM »

Geoff is an old man. Judging the box set's worth by the level of his involvement strikes me as kind of dogmatic.

He's an old man? Here is a recent shot of Emerick and Richard Lush - another old man - aka the guys who recorded Pepper.

They knew every note and edit that was made, I'd say old or not they have as much insight into the making and mixing of it as anyone and if it were not a factor in this set, I have to question it. But I just don't know yet.

Consider that George Martin would often get tired during the late night sessions to where his wife Judy would come pick him up and say one-liners like "looks like Teddy has lost his stuffing" to the younger Emerick and Lush, who would stick around many sessions until dawn recording various parts.

It also reminds me of a studio legend, I believe it was Earl Palmer, doing a rock session later in his career. A young producer told him a beat to play, and I think Earl's reply was "Son, I invented this sh*t."

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 10:12:18 PM »

He's an old man? Here is a recent shot of Emerick and Richard Lush - another old man - aka the guys who recorded Pepper.

They knew every note and edit that was made, I'd say old or not they have as much insight into the making and mixing of it as anyone and if it were not a factor in this set, I have to question it. But I just don't know yet.

Consider that George Martin would often get tired during the late night sessions to where his wife Judy would come pick him up and say one-liners like "looks like Teddy has lost his stuffing" to the younger Emerick and Lush, who would stick around many sessions until dawn recording various parts.

It also reminds me of a studio legend, I believe it was Earl Palmer, doing a rock session later in his career. A young producer told him a beat to play, and I think Earl's reply was "Son, I invented this sh*t."

I understand why he should be revered. But to say without him the box would lose all worth is a bit, again, dogmatic.

Also Geoff is 71. Yes, he is an old man.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 02:31:07 PM »

The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, which Rolling Stone named as the greatest album of all time, turns 50 on June 1st. In honor of the anniversary, and coinciding with a new deluxe reissue of Sgt. Pepper, we present a series of in-depth pieces – one for each of the album's tracks, excluding the brief "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" reprise on Side Two – that explore the background of this revolutionary and beloved LP. Today's installment focuses on how Paul McCartney's solo travels after the end of the Beatles' final tour inspired the title track and gave Sgt. Pepper its famous "alter ego" concept.

Beatles' 'Sgt. Pepper' at 50: How Paul McCartney's Travels Inspired the Title Track

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/beatles-sgt-pepper-at-50-what-inspired-the-title-track-w482061

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 02:43:38 PM »

Just listened to the remix today on Spotify. Overall, it's pretty damn different compared to what I'm used to! In my opinion though, the 2015 remix of "Strawberry Fields Forever" could have been done better. Some parts of it sounded kinda muddy compared to the other instruments, though that might just be due to Spotify's compression. The new stereo mix of Take 7 sounded amazing though!

Highlights for me would definitely be "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", "She's Leaving Home", "Within You Without You", and "Lovely Rita".

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 06:12:25 PM »

Here is a nice unboxing video from a member at a Doctor Who board I read.  LOL

He does a nice job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dmjHesy-SA&feature=youtu.be
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 06:59:19 PM »

My 6-disc set arrived today. Listening to it right now. Wonderful experience!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx