gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:42:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: R.I.P., Gregg Allman  (Read 2521 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2017, 06:52:22 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/gregg-allman-southern-rock-legend-dead-at-69-w433068

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 07:44:24 AM »

When I heard about this my first thought was "is this real?" So many times there have been announcements about his "death" and they weren't true. Unfortunately it is true this time.
The Allman Brothers band was one of my faves back in the 70s.
RIP

For those who can get AXS TV, there will be an interview tonight (May 30) that Dan Rather did with Gregg Allman.
It will air at 9:00 pm US Eastern Time.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 09:25:30 AM »

I was wondering if anybody was going to do a thread about this. Man, I'm really feeling this one. This has been a terrible year for Allman Brothers fans. First Butch and now Gregg. The Allman Brothers are no more.  Sad

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 12:23:30 PM »

Looking at their wiki page, eight of their number over the years are no longer with us.

I myself had only a brief encounter with the ABB in the mid '70s though two brilliant releases, Eat a Peach (on repeat at a friend's house) and Brothers and Sisters (bought it).

My last band used to play Whipping Post. But this is the one that really does it for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rQWh62VUHE

Rest in peace, sir.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »

Wow, yes that's a classic.
Was in High School at the time Brothers and Sisters came out. I bought it. Loved the album, and also the photos of the children, and the band and their families.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 06:46:28 AM »

Watched the AXS interview.
I assume that rabid Allman Brothers fans already knew about most of what he said. Being a regular fan I knew the basics, that he had substance abuse problems, he didn't have any luck marriage wise (he said that was his fault - he and Cher remained good friends), and that the motorcycle was not the Allman Brothers' friend.

He said that he decided to write songs because he got tired of having to sing Beatles songs every night. The first song he wrote was "Melissa". He had all the lyrics but the name of the woman. He was trying various 3 syllable names with no success. Then he went into a store where there was a little girl running around. At one point her mother called out to her,, "Melissa!" Bingo!

He joined the band right out of High School. He told them that if there wasn't any success after 2 years he would go back to school to become a dentist. Thankfully he didn't have to take up that profession.

He didn't want to fight in Vietnam. So he literally shot himself in the foot.
(That wasn't unusual. One of my cousins got on a horse and at full gallop fell off, hoping that he would have broken his leg. I remember that day well, and his sorrow on realizing that he only had bumps and bruises. He ended up in Nam, was seriously injured, permanently disabled and died way too young. That &?!#%*@ War!  Cry )

bb4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 08:58:17 AM »

Al Jardine mentioned on his facebook page that Gregg Allman and Carl were friends.   Anyone have any information on that.  I can actually see that being the case....Gregg Allman was said to be shy, a gentleman, and a person who never wanted to hurt anyone.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 01:49:29 AM »

I just read that Gregg is being buried next to his brother Duane. That's awesome.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx