gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:53:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: How do you rate the whole Beach Boys discography?

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 90 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Discuss Every Beach Boys Song Day By Day  (Read 409990 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: February 26, 2018, 04:05:21 AM »

It should be "Everyone's In Hate With You". 1.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: February 26, 2018, 05:26:40 AM »

3/5

The instrumental and background harmonies are really beautiful. Mike’s singing is good but what the hell is he singing about?

Still everyone’s in love with you
Because you gave your love to everyone.

Is this about Jesus, some TM messiah, or a girl who gets around? I think if the lyrics were less confusing this wouldn’t be the most hated song on the album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lady Lynda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: February 26, 2018, 09:44:09 AM »

I absolutely love the harmonies on this song!  To be honest, I don't really even listen to the lead vocal when I listen to this song. 
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: February 26, 2018, 09:47:14 AM »

Today's song is Everyone's In Love with You.

This song just gacks me out. One.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: February 26, 2018, 12:26:21 PM »

Today's song is Everyone's In Love with You.

Dennis in '76 praised it as "the most beautiful song I've ever heard".

Every wave is new until it breaks.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: February 26, 2018, 12:33:36 PM »

Don't buy into that, B.E. It's Dennis being jokester there. Tongue

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: February 26, 2018, 12:41:00 PM »

That's possible. It's been awhile since I heard that interview, but it didn't sound like he was joking. Mike didn't seem to take it that way either.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: February 26, 2018, 12:43:23 PM »

Do you like the song? Since you brought that quote in the 1st place means you agree with Dennis? I'm curious what you think about today's song.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: February 26, 2018, 01:16:21 PM »

Do you like the song? Since you brought that quote in the 1st place means you agree with Dennis? I'm curious what you think about today's song.

Never assume, RR Wink I just thought I'd post that tidbit for newer fans who might not be aware of it. I'm not really a fan of this song. I never seek it out and I usually skip it (I don't skip many BBs songs). With that said, it was actually a pleasant surprise upon first listen. I agree with previous posters who cite the background vocals and instrumental as highlights and question the lyrics. I found this message board just prior to exploring the entire discography, so my expectations were incredibly low for certain songs/albums. I literally thought some of it would be unlistenable (e.g. MIU). Or that Smiley Smile would be so sparse, it would be essentially devoid of sound. So, I was pleasantly surprised or even blown away by some of it. In regard to 'Everyone's In Love With You', the harmonies are impeccable and as a result kinda stick out on 15 Big Ones. According to the back cover, Daryl Dragon arranged the vocals. Dennis was probably impressed with those harmonies, like most of us are. Btw, I've been reading bits and pieces of Dreamer: The Making of Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue, and in it, Daryl Dragon insists that as a co-writer of Make It Good and Cuddle Up he only contributed about 2% to Dennis' 98%. Just another tidbit.

I'll give 'Everyone's In Love With You' a 2.5
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:33:01 PM by B.E. » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: February 26, 2018, 01:34:06 PM »

Never assume, RR Wink I just thought I'd post that tidbit for newer fans who might not be aware of it. I'm not really a fan of this song. I never seek it out and I usually skip it (I don't skip many BBs songs). With that said, it was actually a pleasant surprise upon first listen. I agree with previous posters who cite the background vocals and instrumental as highlights and question the lyrics. I found this message board just prior to exploring the entire discography, so my expectations were incredibly low for certain songs/albums. I literally thought some of it would be unlistenable (e.g. MIU). Or that Smiley Smile would be so sparse, it would be essentially devoid of sound. So, I was pleasantly surprised or even blown away by some of it. In regard to 'Everyone's In Love With You', the harmonies are impeccable and as a result kinda stick out on 15 Big Ones. According to the back cover of 15 Big Ones, Daryl Dragon arranged the vocals. Dennis was probably impressed with those harmonies, like most of us are. Btw, I've been reading bits and pieces of Dreamer: The Making of Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue, and in it, Daryl Dragon insists that as a co-writer of Make It Good and Cuddle Up he only contributed about 2% to Dennis' 98%. Just another tidbit.

I'll give 'Everyone's In Love With You' a 2.5

I skipped listening to MIU for years because I heard it was dogawful. But when I finally heard it I actually found it to be a consistently good listen. I think one of my favorite parts of The Beach Boys is their volume of output and their usual attention to detail when it comes to moments like those harmonies in ‘Everyone’s In Love With You’. Each release usually has something good in it, each song usually has at least one good moment.

I looked up this song on Wikipedia, apparently it is about the Maharishi. Which makes the lyrics even more confusing, as I doubt everyone was in love with that guy. And while I don’t really get all the car references in the early songs (and usually ignore the lyrics because of it while still enjoying the song) I can do the same with this. Still a pleasant listen.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: February 26, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »

2B.E.: Thanks to the detailed write-up with many avenues explored.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: February 26, 2018, 02:45:22 PM »

It's just awkward hearing Mike sing this sentimental ballad gushing over the Maharishi. 1
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: February 27, 2018, 02:59:41 AM »

Your ratings for Everyone's In Love with You:
1...6 votes
2...1 vote
3...1 vote
4...3 votes
5...0 vote
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: February 27, 2018, 03:00:24 AM »

Today's song is Talk To Me.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: February 27, 2018, 08:37:29 AM »

Today's song is Talk To Me.

A full on cover of Tallahassee Lassie would've been better. I like Carl's lead but the song sounds drowsy. TWO.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: February 27, 2018, 04:44:35 PM »

2 will do. Many say "Lassie" bit is good - nope, the song's boring thru & thru.

Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: February 27, 2018, 09:17:07 PM »

Are we certain of that? The thick background harmonies are not unlike the (admittedly far superior) Forever, and Dennis seemed generally in favour of songs that display genuine emotion and passion and we can't deny that Mike was/is passionate about TM and the Maharishi.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: February 27, 2018, 10:05:11 PM »

Sure Dennis could've liked it, he maybe indeed meant it's "the most beautiful song I've ever heard". Wink 2 About emotion/ passion, Mike's vocal doesn't display it, ie. sings favorite subject but nasally.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:25:47 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: February 27, 2018, 11:48:39 PM »

Your ratings for Talk To Me:
1...0 vote
2...3 votes
3...2 votes
4...0 vote
5...0 vote
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: February 27, 2018, 11:49:09 PM »

Today's song is That Same Song.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: February 28, 2018, 04:08:46 AM »

Today's song is That Same Song.

Catchy and wonky/bouncey sounding. Brian sounds like he's having alot of fun. Neat. I'm giving it FOUR.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 07:14:28 AM by Mike Garneau » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: February 28, 2018, 11:37:32 PM »

Your ratings for That Same Song:
1...0 vote
2...0 vote
3...2 votes
4...2 votes
5...0 vote
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: February 28, 2018, 11:38:15 PM »

Today's song is TM Song.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: March 01, 2018, 01:56:58 PM »

Today's song is TM Song.

When I was a kid I had the R&RM/TM 45 and I definitely played TM Song way more often than R&RM, probably because I found it interestingly bizarre. Al does sound a little bit embarrassed to be singing it. The backing track is kinda neat. The staged fight is better than the one on Cassius vs Sonny. I kinda dig it. THREE
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 02:02:14 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: March 02, 2018, 01:20:16 AM »

Your ratings for TM Song:
1...2 votes
2...1 vote
3...1 vote
4...1 vote
5...3 votes
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 06:04:26 AM by Watamushi(Polly Poller) » Logged