gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:01:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: How do you rate the whole Beach Boys discography?

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 90 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Discuss Every Beach Boys Song Day By Day  (Read 410115 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: February 06, 2018, 09:43:02 AM »

The ava is a Star Wars Chewbacca/Black Sabbath 'Vinyl Record' Mash Up poster I found recently. I like the way it looks, pretty neat. It's supposed to look like Black Sabbath Vol.4 album.
Thanks, didn't see "Star Wars". It succeeds in looking like Black Sabbath album.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: February 06, 2018, 06:19:35 PM »

Like Make It Good, Cuddle Up is just barely there as a song. Half-developed to the former's 10 percent. The first couple lines are quite nice but then the composition just falls into saccharine disarray. 2 stars.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: February 06, 2018, 06:28:39 PM »

3/5

Gah I want to like this song so much. Make it a 2 minute long track and i’d be perfectly content with it. It just goes on for too long on the album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: February 06, 2018, 06:35:15 PM »

This song is simply too dull and boring for me to like. 2/5
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: February 06, 2018, 11:10:11 PM »

Your ratings for Cuddle Up:
1...3 votes
2...2 votes
3...3 votes
4...0 vote
5...1 vote
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: February 06, 2018, 11:10:46 PM »

Today we'll discuss the whole CATP album.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: February 07, 2018, 04:19:46 AM »

Gave it a five (which was actually meant for "Cuddle Up"!). Still, I'm gradually coming to terms with C&TP so it's not entirely misplaced. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: February 07, 2018, 09:48:21 AM »

It's good & boring. 3.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: February 07, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »

I gave it 3. I absolutely love All This Is That (at the "5" level). You Need A Mess Of Help and Marcella are good. But much of the remainder of this album is a snooze-fest. Packaging it with Pet Sounds was probably a bad idea (unfavorable comparison by most people I'm sure).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:03:33 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: February 08, 2018, 01:44:20 AM »

Your ratings for CATP:
1...0 vote
2...1 vote
3...4 votes
4...0 vote
5...1 vote
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: February 08, 2018, 01:45:16 AM »

◎Holland(1973)
1. Sail on, Sailor
2. Steamboat
3. California Saga:Big Sur
4. California Saga:The Beaks of Eagles
5. California Saga:California
6. The Trader
7. Leaving This Town
8. Only with You
9. Funky Pretty

[Non-Album Tracks]
Mt. Vernon and Fairway
We Got Love
My Love Lives On
Barnyard Blues
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: February 08, 2018, 01:45:35 AM »

Today's song is Sail On, Sailor.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: February 08, 2018, 04:00:04 AM »

I remember hearing this on the radio at the time and thinking, "They've done it again!"----"it" being a superb, original 45.

Possibly Blondie's finest hour.

Five.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: February 08, 2018, 06:02:49 AM »

A latter day classic, the loop between the drums and bass is superb (nothing exceptional, just so effective)
Great lead vocal, but blimey I would love to have heard the original (?) vocal by Dennis.
Special mention to a great lyric (mind you written by about 23 people Tongue)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: February 08, 2018, 06:18:32 AM »

I did not know Dennis did a lead of this song! Is that something in the vaults? I’m assuming it’s gone forever?

SOS is the beginning of one of the coolest, most cohesive albums these guys ever did. I would love to hear the entirety of VDP’s cassette tape with this demo on it. The organ during the chorus’ really makes this song shine. 5/5.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: February 08, 2018, 09:13:30 AM »

FIVE

Blondie's lead is his best work with the band in my opinion. An excellent song!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: February 08, 2018, 09:18:42 AM »

I did not know Dennis did a lead of this song! Is that something in the vaults? I’m assuming it’s gone forever?
Well correct it if it's wrong but it's been discussed years back here that they assigned Dennis to sing it & either he tried it or didn't but the gist being he just went to beach instead. Which looks like his voice may not even be put to tape. Then Carl gave it shot, I think? & finally they chose Blondie or he volunteered (doubt about the latter).

Anyway, Blondie sings terrific lead in the master take. Great groovy track with cool backing vocs too. 5.

KDS
« Reply #1517 on: February 08, 2018, 09:19:10 AM »

SOS is the beginning of one of the coolest, most cohesive albums these guys ever did. I would love to hear the entirety of VDP’s cassette tape with this demo on it. The organ during the chorus’ really makes this song shine. 5/5.

If the version with Dennis's lead is still out there, they've done a good job hiding it.  I'm thinking it's lost forever.  
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: February 08, 2018, 10:22:55 AM »

This is such a sparkling album opener that's it's kind of funny that it was a late addition. It's an easy 5 for me.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: February 08, 2018, 12:21:29 PM »

Well correct it if it's wrong but it's been discussed years back here that they assigned Dennis to sing it & either he tried it or didn't but the gist being he just went to beach instead. Which looks like his voice may not even be put to tape. Then Carl gave it shot, I think? & finally they chose Blondie or he volunteered (doubt about the latter).

Anyway, Blondie sings terrific lead in the master take. Great groovy track with cool backing vocs too. 5.

Thanks for the info, and thanks KDS for further clarification Smiley

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: February 08, 2018, 12:42:28 PM »

Bottom line? Blondie = best choice to sing SOS.

KDS
« Reply #1521 on: February 08, 2018, 12:51:47 PM »

I've heard it sung by Blondie, Brian, and Carl (including in person by Blondie and Brian), and I 100% agree that Blondie was the right choice.  Brian originally said he wrote it with Ray Charles in mind, and I think Blondie's voice had the most soul to capture what Brian was going for. 
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: February 08, 2018, 12:55:16 PM »

I've heard it sung by Blondie, Brian, and Carl (including in person by Blondie and Brian), and I 100% agree that Blondie was the right choice.  Brian originally said he wrote it with Ray Charles in mind, and I think Blondie's voice had the most soul to capture what Brian was going for. 

I've always loved the Ray Charles version on the 25th Anniversary show, real soul
KDS
« Reply #1523 on: February 08, 2018, 12:57:13 PM »

I've always loved the Ray Charles version on the 25th Anniversary show, real soul

That's a good version too.   I wish they'd put that out for official release. 

And, while it's not soulful, and has a completely different vibe, I much enjoy Jimmy Buffett's cover of SOS. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: February 08, 2018, 12:59:14 PM »

I've heard it sung by Blondie, Brian, and Carl (including in person by Blondie and Brian), and I 100% agree that Blondie was the right choice.  Brian originally said he wrote it with Ray Charles in mind, and I think Blondie's voice had the most soul to capture what Brian was going for.  
Blondie is best choice, that's settled. Who's the next best? Do you think Al could be cat's meow at singing SOS?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 90 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx