gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:32:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: How do you rate the whole Beach Boys discography?

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 90 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Discuss Every Beach Boys Song Day By Day  (Read 410139 times)
KDS
« Reply #1425 on: January 22, 2018, 06:30:16 AM »

Probably not a popular opinion, but I think Til I Die is the last truly special / great song that Brian Wilson wrote for The Beach Boys.   (With the possible exception of the closing trio on TWGMTR). 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: January 22, 2018, 07:44:19 AM »

I will forever love the part of ‘Love and Mercy’ (movie) that uses Mike’s “These things I’ll be until I die” line a cappella. What an awesome film.

In my opinion this is one of Brian Wilson’s most powerful songs. That rhythmic organ, the harmonies. There’s a vocal-only mix (only parts of the song) of this song on YouTube, and the way Carl sings some lines - you can tell he’s really trying to get that feel of hopelessness in the song.

One thing that makes this song as good as it is: the atmosphere of the track. There’s this echo/reverb that makes it sound like it’s being played on top of a windy mountain.

5/5

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: January 22, 2018, 11:50:56 PM »

Your ratings for 'Til I Die:
1...0 vote
2...0 vote
3...0 vote
4...0 vote
5...7 votes
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: January 22, 2018, 11:51:27 PM »

Today's song is Surf's Up.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: January 23, 2018, 02:16:07 AM »

I would love to go back and listen to this song for the very first time. I’m so happy that there are many amazing versions of this song that exist. I love the bass in the coda on this version, I love Brian’s falsetto vocal on the ‘67 version, I love the charm and atmosphere of the BWPS version, and I love the simplicity of the Good Vibrations boxset version.

Anywho, perfect way to close out this album and I give it 5/5. I’d give it more if I could.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: January 23, 2018, 05:12:49 AM »

I remember hearing "Surf's Up" for the first time in 1971, not long after the album was released.

Like "Feel Flows", it was a shaft of light during a dark period in my life.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: January 24, 2018, 12:24:46 AM »

Your ratings for Surf's Up:
1…0  vote
2...0 vote
3...0 vote
4...2 vote
5...5 votes
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: January 24, 2018, 12:25:36 AM »

Today we'll discuss the album Surf's Up.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: January 24, 2018, 03:11:14 AM »

Today we'll discuss the album Surf's Up.

My all-time favourite album.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: January 24, 2018, 09:43:56 AM »

I love this album for what it represents almost as much as for the music on it. It was like they were finally burying the Smile debacle and looking ahead in a new creative direction in the 1970s. If not for a couple clunkers, it would be an easy 5. I had to go with 4. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: January 24, 2018, 07:37:04 PM »

I think she's referring to the coda which Van Dyke sings on.
Yes.

Your ratings for Surf's Up:
4...2 vote
I'd be back with "4" as well. It doesn't fit Carl's voice.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: January 24, 2018, 11:08:20 PM »

Your ratings for the album Surf's Up:
1...0 vote
2...0 vote
3...0 vote
4...1 vote
5...2 vote
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: January 24, 2018, 11:09:06 PM »

Today's song is 4th of July.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: January 25, 2018, 06:17:59 AM »

Carl’s voice is godlike on this.

This was for the Surf’s Up album right? Would love to have seen Surf’s Up become a double album with all of Dennis’ contributions added.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: January 25, 2018, 06:55:55 AM »

This was for the Surf’s Up album right? Would love to have seen Surf’s Up become a double album with all of Dennis’ contributions added.

I agree. It's kind of shocking that none of Dennis' songs were included on Surf's Up after all his contributions to the previous three albums. What's up with that?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: January 25, 2018, 07:16:37 AM »

It's kind of shocking that none of Dennis' songs were included on Surf's Up after all his contributions to the previous three albums. What's up with that?
Check the old threads. Use the search button, type various combinations regarding your question, checkmark as topics or posts - good luck! Smiley

In the scale good__bad, "4th of July" will lean towards good. Carl sings it gorgeously & nice track. 4.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: January 25, 2018, 09:30:11 AM »

I love the 4th of July album  Tongue

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: January 25, 2018, 11:05:16 AM »

I agree. It's kind of shocking that none of Dennis' songs were included on Surf's Up after all his contributions to the previous three albums. What's up with that?

From what I understand there was a dispute about what songs should close out the album, Dennis wanted ‘Wouldn’t It Be Nice To Live Again’ to close it out, the band wanted ‘Surf’s Up’ to close it out, when the band didn’t give in Dennis pulled all his songs in protest I guess.

I tried to use the search function to find a more concrete answer for this, but the search function on this website sucks - I’m sure you can find the answer that way, but it will take some digging.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: January 25, 2018, 11:07:12 AM »

It's kind of shocking that none of Dennis' songs were included on Surf's Up after all his contributions to the previous three albums. What's up with that?
Check the old threads. Use the search button, type various combinations regarding your question, checkmark as topics or posts - good luck! Smiley

In the scale good__bad, "4th of July" will lean towards good. Carl sings it gorgeously & nice track. 4.

Thanks. Tried that. "No Results Found." I appreciate the discussion, though.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: January 25, 2018, 12:46:21 PM »

I love the 4th of July album  Tongue

Grin

Stunning song, chills down the spine. It should be required listening on Independence Day.

Missing Dennis and Carl right now.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: January 25, 2018, 01:51:56 PM »

From what I understand there was a dispute about what songs should close out the album, Dennis wanted ‘Wouldn’t It Be Nice To Live Again’ to close it out, the band wanted ‘Surf’s Up’ to close it out, when the band didn’t give in Dennis pulled all his songs in protest I guess.

I tried to use the search function to find a more concrete answer for this, but the search function on this website sucks - I’m sure you can find the answer that way, but it will take some digging.

Yeah, I wouldn't spend too much time searching through old threads for more info on that story. That's pretty much it. I'd love to know how hard the band tried to change his mind or why they didn't simply overrule him. They didn't seem to have a problem releasing Smile material without Brian's blessing. At the time, Dennis probably had ambitions of releasing a solo album, so that may have been a major reason why he'd pull his songs (if they weren't featured the way he'd like) and the band would let him. Still, on some level, I'd think Carl, Mike, Al, and Bruce were all more interested in making sure their own material was released. In a way, it really was their 'white album' period (sorry for the relentless Beatles references, but I only have two points of reference Wink). I'm a big Dennis fan, so it always bummed me out that Dennis wasn't featured on Surf's Up or In Concert or KTSA. I still haven't got around to reading Ken Sharp's POB book yet, so maybe there will be more there. I skimmed it and read Stan Shapiro's recollections of WIBN(TLA), but there's nothing there to contradict rab2591's summary (the book looks incredible, btw).

I gave 4th of July a 3. It feels slightly unfinished to me. It had the potential to be a strong 4, IMO. I'd love some backing vocals in the chorus and I think Carl's double-tracked vocal is too loud in the mix.  I love the backing track, especially the sparse outro beginning at 2:02. That's pure Dennis. Actually, it's similar in effect to the Don't Go Near The Water tag. For that reason, I don't think I'd place those tracks back to back. I'm still not sure how I feel about the Surf's Up album. I seem to want to tinker with it and "fix" it more than simply admire it. The mixes of some songs on Surf's Up and L.A. really distract me. I'm not a big fan of Jack Rieley's lyrics. Don't get me wrong, for the most part it works, but then there's a line or two here or there that really bring me out of the song.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: January 25, 2018, 02:03:25 PM »

Thanks for the response B.E., I checked Jon Stebbin’s FAQ book and the only thing different from my version was that Carl (not the entire band) was the one who wanted the album to close with ‘Surf’s Up’ and not WIBNTLA. There wasn’t a concrete answer to why Dennis pulled his songs from the album, but it’s safe to assume that WIBNTLA not being chosen as the closer was a good reason.

I’ve seen a couple really good alternate tracklists for Surf’s Up that include Dennis’ contributions, and man they really do blow the actual released album out of the water (though I still love the released album a lot).

I need to get that POB book, right now the funds aren’t too cool as I’m trying to save some money. But hopefully I can set aside some to purchase that, it sounds phenomenal.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: January 25, 2018, 02:19:18 PM »

Thanks for the response B.E., I checked Jon Stebbin’s FAQ book and the only thing different from my version was that Carl (not the entire band) was the one who wanted the album to close with ‘Surf’s Up’ and not WIBNTLA. There wasn’t a concrete answer to why Dennis pulled his songs from the album, but it’s safe to assume that WIBNTLA not being chosen as the closer was a good reason.

I’ve seen a couple really good alternate tracklists for Surf’s Up that include Dennis’ contributions, and man they really do blow the actual released album out of the water (though I still love the released album a lot).

I need to get that POB book, right now the funds aren’t too cool as I’m trying to save some money. But hopefully I can set aside some to purchase that, it sounds phenomenal.

Yeah, the funds weren't too cool on this end either, but I missed out on The Real Beach Boy and couldn't bear the thought of missing out again!

If I ever create an alternate Surf's Up tracklist, I like the idea of closing side 1 with WIBN(TLA) and closing side 2 with Surf's Up. Epic!

Also, in the POB book, Shapiro recalls the altercation being specifically between Dennis and Carl (and probably Mike). Though, Stan wasn't there.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 02:26:17 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: January 25, 2018, 03:45:28 PM »

Yeah, the funds weren't too cool on this end either, but I missed out on The Real Beach Boy and couldn't bear the thought of missing out again!

If I ever create an alternate Surf's Up tracklist, I like the idea of closing side 1 with WIBN(TLA) and closing side 2 with Surf's Up. Epic!

Also, in the POB book, Shapiro recalls the altercation being specifically between Dennis and Carl (and probably Mike). Though, Stan wasn't there.

I made my own alternate album of Surf’s Up and each side ended like that. Man I wish Dennis had been more open to that song ending side 1...I reckon the band could have a different history in the 70s.

Thanks for the extra info! Hope I get that book soon.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: January 26, 2018, 02:28:26 AM »

Your ratings for 4th of July:
1...0 vote
2...2 votes
3...1 vote
4...5 votes
5...2 votes
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 90 Go Up Print