gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:32:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: How do you rate the whole Beach Boys discography?

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 90 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Discuss Every Beach Boys Song Day By Day  (Read 410003 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: January 18, 2018, 08:32:19 AM »

I don’t want to offend anyone by saying this, but I’m gonna give my honest opinion on the SDT song: the whole song sounds like a joke to the point of insincerity - I don’t know what Mike’s/the guy’s intentions were with the song, and I’m not calling them insincere, but the song sounds insincere. You’ve got sirens wailing, Mike sounding like he’s yelling into a megaphone, the lyrics are pretty bad, and yet some of the lyrics are directly about an event that left 4 students shot and killed.

To me, it’s like if Coldplay were to release a song with bells, sirens, megaphones, cheesy lyrics, in the aftermath of the Charlottesville riot that left one person killed. It would be in really poor taste.

At least with ‘Take A Load Off Your Feet’ you can find sincerity in it, it’s hilarious that Brian’s biggest problem he could write about at that time was foot issues. But it’s honest in its own childlike way, even though I don’t care for the song at all.

But with SDT that backing track/effects are on par with Loop De Loop and considering the serious nature of some of the lyrics it makes me cringe whenever I hear it. And this isn’t a knock at the quality of the recording or those who worked on it, It’s problably one of those things you had to be there for to understand. But from my perspective I just don’t get it.

I can see how you might think that.  I'm not so certain that the nature of the song or lyrics really reflect insincerity.  I think the intention was anger at how demonstrators were treated (ie. Kent State).   Honestly, I think the lyrics are somewhat poorly written (ie . "A bachelor of bullets") and can come off insincere, but I don't think that was the intent. 

However, with Feet, I think the only redeeming quality of that song is that it's mercifully brief.  If it wasn't good enough to appear on Sunflower, I'm not sure why they thought it was good enough to appear on Surf's Up.  And the fact that it made the album while WIBNTLA languished in the vaults for over 40 years is mindblowing. 

Yeah, I don’t think the intent was insincere, but the song just sounds insincere...which is why I think it gets a lot of, understandable from my point of view, flack.

Totally agreed about Feet.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #1401 on: January 18, 2018, 08:42:24 AM »

I don’t want to offend anyone by saying this, but I’m gonna give my honest opinion on the SDT song: the whole song sounds like a joke to the point of insincerity - I don’t know what Mike’s/the guy’s intentions were with the song, and I’m not calling them insincere, but the song sounds insincere. You’ve got sirens wailing, Mike sounding like he’s yelling into a megaphone, the lyrics are pretty bad, and yet some of the lyrics are directly about an event that left 4 students shot and killed.

To me, it’s like if Coldplay were to release a song with bells, sirens, megaphones, cheesy lyrics, in the aftermath of the Charlottesville riot that left one person killed. It would be in really poor taste.

At least with ‘Take A Load Off Your Feet’ you can find sincerity in it, it’s hilarious that Brian’s biggest problem he could write about at that time was foot issues. But it’s honest in its own childlike way, even though I don’t care for the song at all.

But with SDT that backing track/effects are on par with Loop De Loop and considering the serious nature of some of the lyrics it makes me cringe whenever I hear it. And this isn’t a knock at the quality of the recording or those who worked on it, It’s problably one of those things you had to be there for to understand. But from my perspective I just don’t get it.

I can see how you might think that.  I'm not so certain that the nature of the song or lyrics really reflect insincerity.  I think the intention was anger at how demonstrators were treated (ie. Kent State).   Honestly, I think the lyrics are somewhat poorly written (ie . "A bachelor of bullets") and can come off insincere, but I don't think that was the intent. 

However, with Feet, I think the only redeeming quality of that song is that it's mercifully brief.  If it wasn't good enough to appear on Sunflower, I'm not sure why they thought it was good enough to appear on Surf's Up.  And the fact that it made the album while WIBNTLA languished in the vaults for over 40 years is mindblowing. 

Yeah, I don’t think the intent was insincere, but the song just sounds insincere...which is why I think it gets a lot of, understandable from my point of view, flack.

Totally agreed about Feet.

Fair enough. 

Though I must say, and I'm not sure if this was intentional, having SDT sandwiched between Disney Girls and Feel Flows is perfect sequencing. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: January 18, 2018, 08:45:58 AM »

Your ratings for Disney Girls:
1...2 votes
This is cool, agreed? Smiley

Today's song is nice. Besides, I agree with Mr. Desper's analysis when he explained the lyrics makes sense. Mike's megaphone/ loud speaker declaration is cool effect. 2.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: January 18, 2018, 08:55:33 AM »

Your ratings for Disney Girls:
1...2 votes
This is cool, agreed? Smiley

Today's song is nice. Besides, I agree with Mr. Desper's analysis when he explained the lyrics makes sense. Mike's megaphone/ loud speaker declaration is cool effect. 2.

@RangeRover, could you point me in the direction of what Desper said? Or give me a brief synopsis? Thanks much!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: January 18, 2018, 09:22:05 AM »

By typing various key words, it led to this write-up:

COMMENT: 

There is no right nor wrong in art, only preference.   But I would take issue with you on saying the production values are sloppy, just because you don't like the sound of a megaphone or sirens. The production values of this song are just as strong, and more complex, than other songs on the Surf's Up album.

If you lived through the 60s, the civil riots, the unrest, the antiwar demonstrations, the crowds of unruly students in the streets, with hundreds of young soldiers dieing every day -- every day, and in-depth TV coverage of people being shot at close range coming into our living rooms every night, you might have more understanding of "the why and wherefore" of the song being part of a surf album. 

Yes, Michael is very correct in stating his concerns. He was seeing all this going on in Santa Barbara, CA where he lived. It was in his front yard. It was in all our lives. It was a sick time. The country was sick. And much of it was needless.

So Michael was moved to write a song about war protest. His approach was to offer vocal advice to the listener as to what to do when you may be caught up in one of these civil unrests -- so as not to get killed.  Remember Kent State was still in the news when the lyrics were written.

Production Values.  The tonal picture Michael wished to paint OR the setting he wanted use to present his song did give me a challenge to keep production values at their standards and still make a listenable song.

Picture Michael speaking to a crowd of students that are in a rally, in a school yard, surrounded by school buildings and administration structures. He is speaking to them using a PA system and the reflection of his speech is bouncing off of the buildings. There is also other activity and antiwar demonstrations taking place. the sirens are moving around the school yard builds and can be heard around you.

Unfortunately, the sound picture colapes fairly flat in stereo. When you hear this song properly (with Matrix resolution) the production makes more sense. You do get a sense of the school yard space and the buildings sound further removed. The sirens move around the room, not just side to side. The lyric message remains the same, but the production values put into the sound-picture are more easily heard and appreciated.

Some day soon you will hear what I mean.  Until then,

Good Listening,
  ~Stephen W. Desper

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #1405 on: January 18, 2018, 09:30:30 AM »

By typing various key words, it led to this write-up:

COMMENT: 

There is no right nor wrong in art, only preference.   But I would take issue with you on saying the production values are sloppy, just because you don't like the sound of a megaphone or sirens. The production values of this song are just as strong, and more complex, than other songs on the Surf's Up album.

If you lived through the 60s, the civil riots, the unrest, the antiwar demonstrations, the crowds of unruly students in the streets, with hundreds of young soldiers dieing every day -- every day, and in-depth TV coverage of people being shot at close range coming into our living rooms every night, you might have more understanding of "the why and wherefore" of the song being part of a surf album. 

Yes, Michael is very correct in stating his concerns. He was seeing all this going on in Santa Barbara, CA where he lived. It was in his front yard. It was in all our lives. It was a sick time. The country was sick. And much of it was needless.

So Michael was moved to write a song about war protest. His approach was to offer vocal advice to the listener as to what to do when you may be caught up in one of these civil unrests -- so as not to get killed.  Remember Kent State was still in the news when the lyrics were written.

Production Values.  The tonal picture Michael wished to paint OR the setting he wanted use to present his song did give me a challenge to keep production values at their standards and still make a listenable song.

Picture Michael speaking to a crowd of students that are in a rally, in a school yard, surrounded by school buildings and administration structures. He is speaking to them using a PA system and the reflection of his speech is bouncing off of the buildings. There is also other activity and antiwar demonstrations taking place. the sirens are moving around the school yard builds and can be heard around you.

Unfortunately, the sound picture colapes fairly flat in stereo. When you hear this song properly (with Matrix resolution) the production makes more sense. You do get a sense of the school yard space and the buildings sound further removed. The sirens move around the room, not just side to side. The lyric message remains the same, but the production values put into the sound-picture are more easily heard and appreciated.

Some day soon you will hear what I mean.  Until then,

Good Listening,
  ~Stephen W. Desper

Interesting, now I want to hear that siren effect (which always sounds off to me) with the resolution Mr. Desper's referring to. 

I've never really minded the bullhorn treatment on Mike's lead.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: January 18, 2018, 09:34:21 AM »

Thanks much! I’ll listen to it again with all that in mind - amazing how many beach boys songs can be more understood or entrancing when you read about the history of them.

Like I said, I guess I had to be there to understand the perspective...but this explanation helps.

KDS
« Reply #1407 on: January 18, 2018, 09:39:11 AM »

I hope Mr. Desper doesn't mind my adding his quote (There is no right or wrong in art, only preference) to my signature

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: January 19, 2018, 12:46:49 AM »

Your ratings for Students Demonstration Time:
1...2 votes
2...4 votes
3...1 vote
4...0 vote
5...0 vote
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: January 19, 2018, 12:47:37 AM »

Today's song is Feel Flows.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: January 19, 2018, 07:43:32 AM »

Your ratings for Students Demonstration Time:
2...4 votes
Whopping 4! 3D

"Feel Flows" - liked reading back then that Carl played many instruments. Adds cool factor to the song. 3.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: January 20, 2018, 01:21:14 AM »

Your ratings for Feel Flows:
1...0 vote
2...1 vote
3...2 votes
4...0 vote
5...2 votes
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: January 20, 2018, 01:21:53 AM »

Today's song is Lookin' At Tomorrow.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: January 20, 2018, 08:52:39 PM »

Your ratings for Feel Flows:
3...2 votes
Pirate

"Lookin' At Tomorrow" - big fave! The "ba ba" bit that Al sings with great sense of rhythm is coolly cool & catchy as hell! 3D 5.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: January 21, 2018, 12:06:07 AM »

Your ratings for Lookin' At Tomorrow:
1...0 vote
2...0 vote
3...1 vote
4...2 votes
5...2 votes
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: January 21, 2018, 12:06:41 AM »

Today's song is A Day In The Life of A Tree.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: January 21, 2018, 02:48:54 AM »

Today's song is A Day In The Life of A Tree.

Curses. In the general mayhem I omitted to vote for "SDT", "FF" and "LAT(AWS)", all of which would have got a five from me. The worst part is that "Feel Flows" is one of my all-time favourite BB/CW songs.

"Tree" gets a five on time. What an extraordinary, quirky song----and more proof that deep sadness doesn't need to be expressed in a minor key. Jack's voice is right on target. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: January 21, 2018, 03:08:22 AM »

The end of this song is one of the saddest moments in their history, in a good way. The whole thing was kind of a surprise to me when I first heard it - lousy lead vocal, booming organ. Jack’s vocal is exactly what this song needed, especially comparatively with the extraordinary vocals at the end.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: January 21, 2018, 04:10:50 AM »

How do you rate A Day In The Life of A Tree?
5. I'm glad Al made history to be in this song, even if it's cameo. 3D Btw, Van Dyke's bizarre voice fits as well.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: January 21, 2018, 06:19:07 AM »

Glad to see people appreciating this song.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: January 21, 2018, 07:09:28 AM »

5. I'm glad Al made history to be in this song, even if it's cameo. 3D Btw, Van Dyke's bizarre voice fits as well.
It isn't GDP singing. It's Jack Rieley.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: January 21, 2018, 07:29:41 AM »

It isn't GDP singing. It's Jack Rieley.

I think she's referring to the coda which Van Dyke sings on.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: January 21, 2018, 11:21:13 PM »

Your ratings for A Day in the Life of Tree:
1...0 vote
2...0 vote
3...0 vote
4...1 vote
5...5 votes
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: January 21, 2018, 11:21:54 PM »

Today's song is 'Til I Die.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: January 22, 2018, 02:11:30 AM »

Today's song is 'Til I Die.

Just about as good as it gets, not least in the "less is more" department. One of the reasons Surf's Up is my favourite album.

Five.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 90 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx