gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:31:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: How do you rate the whole Beach Boys discography?

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 90 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Discuss Every Beach Boys Song Day By Day  (Read 410342 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 09, 2017, 03:49:08 PM »

DHMLS

FOUR. Great song, not as outstanding as the rest of the rockers on Side 1 but it's still a great upbeat tune with cool guitar, great lead and harmonies.

Exactly how I feel with the same rating.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 09, 2017, 08:59:33 PM »

DHMLS

not as outstanding as the rest
Happy to read this. It's laughable to say "Goot To My Baby" is "dwarfed by everything" - "Don't Hurt My Little Sister" is THE Today's nadir, duh! It's boring, boring songs must get 0, rounded to 1.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 10, 2017, 02:11:47 AM »

DHMLS

not as outstanding as the rest
Happy to read this. It's laughable to say "Goot To My Baby" is "dwarfed by everything" - "Don't Hurt My Little Sister" is THE Today's nadir, duh! It's boring, boring songs must get 0, rounded to 1.

LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 10, 2017, 05:16:56 AM »

Your ratings for Don't Hurt My Little Sister:
1...2 votes
2...0 vote
3...1 vote
4...3 votes
5...1 vote
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 10, 2017, 05:17:54 AM »

Today's song is When I Grow Up (To Be a Man).
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 10, 2017, 05:35:10 AM »

WIGU(TBAM)

FIVE. Man am I a sucker for a harpsichord. And I love that complex drum pattern just as much as I love Mike and Brian's leads. Oh, and the song is super catchy. It's a 5 all the way.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 10, 2017, 05:44:12 AM »

As Mike says, the song has everything. Was that Brian's first use of a harpsichord, I wonder...

Kudos for the Boys on getting the intro right second time around on Ready! Steady! Go! in '64. Most bands of the day (and perhaps ever since) wouldn't have nailed it in a hundred tries.

This is one of those defining moments in pop history where Brian upped the ante not only in his work with the Boys but generally.

To quote FZ, "Five-Five-FIVE"!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 10, 2017, 06:00:20 AM »

Brian actually used a harpsichord in 'I Get Around', very prominent on the recent instrumental and false start versions from KAEOS and MIC sets. I'm not sure if he used it prior to that, however.

5/5. That tag is friggin brilliant and criminally too short....at the same time, I wonder if that was the point: something so beautiful as this tag, like life, seem to pass by so quickly. So many elements with harmony and instrumentals go on with this track, it's a definite favorite.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 10, 2017, 07:27:26 AM »

1stly, very glad DHMLS got 2 1's. Smiley Yahoo!

"When I Grow Up" - 4. Could be 5 way back when. Still good. Btw, like Brian's laughter when he doesn't make it fast to get in sync with Al, Carl & Mike to mic. That pseudo-intro's hilarious, as well as when Carl bops head as if to repeat Dennis' drumbeat during middle 8.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 10, 2017, 08:15:43 AM »

Have come to really appreciate this song over the last few years.
Listening to a Billboard top 40 countdown for a certain week during the fall of 1964, I noticed just how different this song sounded compared to the others on the list. The only other one that sounded "different" was She's Not There by the Zombies.
The harpsichord was still not much in use for pop music at that time. And the harmonies are so unusual for pop.
Wonder how people felt about that then. And when they flipped the record to play the B side, oh my! Wow! But we'll get to that classic later.

Love watching their performance of it on Ready Steady Go.

Also love listening to the vocal track. And what can I say about the outro? As the years are counted, Mike sings "Won't last forever", followed by the simultaneously sung "It's Kinda sad" and "Oh, no".
It's a different vibe from a lot of other songs geared to teens, which talk of finding the right guy or gal and living happily ever after.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:17:46 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: July 11, 2017, 05:20:35 AM »

Your ratings for When I Grow Up:
1...0 vote
2...1 vote
3...0 vote
4...1 vote
5...6 votes
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 11, 2017, 05:21:05 AM »

Today's song is Help Me, Ronda [Album Ver.].
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 11, 2017, 05:36:18 AM »

Really hard to rate this one. After hearing the final version (that was on Summer Days) this one seems rather thin sounding, the outro (with the volume change) is more jarring than anything. It's a phenomenal idea for a song, and I'm really glad Brian saw more potential in it - because the mono single version is unearthly good.

3/5

Edit: Watamushi, thanks for keeping up with this thread, really nice to go back to listen to these songs and read the opinions about them.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 05:37:51 AM by rab2591 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 11, 2017, 06:00:38 AM »

I gave it a 5, 4 being reserved for real sub-par stuff (whatever that may turn out to be).

The h-less version has a more floating, down-homey quality closer to stuff on Al's Postcards than to anything else on Today!. Like the album version of "BTTYS" it has fine qualities of its own. The dramatic fades in and out remind me of The Goons' 1956 UK hit "The Ying Tong Song" but I can live with that. It makes a great transition between its two vastly different neighbours.

I echo Rab2591's sentiments. Watamushi is the business! Grin

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 11, 2017, 06:13:21 AM »

Really hard to rate this one. After hearing the final version (that was on Summer Days) this one seems rather thin sounding, the outro (with the volume change) is more jarring than anything. It's a phenomenal idea for a song, and I'm really glad Brian saw more potential in it - because the mono single version is unearthly good.

3/5

Edit: Watamushi, thanks for keeping up with this thread, really nice to go back to listen to these songs and read the opinions about them.
I gave it a 5, 4 being reserved for real sub-par stuff (whatever that may turn out to be).

The h-less version has a more floating, down-homey quality closer to stuff on Al's Postcards than to anything else on Today!. Like the album version of "BTTYS" it has fine qualities of its own. The dramatic fades in and out remind me of The Goons' 1956 UK hit "The Ying Tong Song" but I can live with that. It makes a great transition between its two vastly different neighbours.

I echo Rab2591's sentiments. Watamushi is the business! Grin
My pleasure!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:14:03 AM by Watamushi (Polly Poller) » Logged
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 11, 2017, 08:55:42 AM »

Another "Hurrah!" for Watamushi  Smiley
This thread is making me revisit songs I've skipped over in the past, including this track.
Listening to Help Me Ronda again, there is a lot to like if I can put the later version out of my mind, particularly in the instrumental track.
I'll rate this a 4, as the background vocals aren't quite as polished.

LOL, the later version just came on the radio.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 12, 2017, 05:04:21 AM »

Your ratings for Help Me, Ronda:
1...0 vote
2...0 vote
3...2 votes
4...1 vote
5...1 vote
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 12, 2017, 05:04:47 AM »

Today's song is Dance, Dance, Dance.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 12, 2017, 05:43:07 AM »

My favourite song on side one of Today! (my favourite on side two being "I'm So Young").

This is about as upbeat and joyous as it gets. It's also a classic example of Brian's judicious use of percussion (tambourine, castanets) as opposed to Uncle Phil's kitchen-sink approach (fabulous in its own way).

Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 12, 2017, 07:28:03 AM »

DDD

FIVE. I love that opening bass riff, the energy, the group harmonies... Makes me wanna rock out! Absolute 5!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 12, 2017, 08:04:07 AM »

5! The 2012 stereo version on a sound system is one of the best things to ever listen to. The highs are crisp and the lows are deep and man does it rock.

Didn't the boys do a version of this one in a Nashville studio on an east coast tour prior to recording the final version? I think it's on the KAEOS copyright set. Very stripped down but it's great to see (like Help Me Rhonda) the transformation and evolution of a song to its final form.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 13, 2017, 05:22:47 AM »

Your ratings for Dance, Dance, Dance:
1...0 vote
2...1 vote
3...1 vote
4...0 vote
5...2 votes
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:38:44 AM by Watamushi (Polly Poller) » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 13, 2017, 05:23:12 AM »

Today's song is Please Let Me Wonder.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 13, 2017, 05:26:08 AM »

Hey, Watamushi,

Add "2" for DDD - can't stand it by now. Ta.
PLMW - 2. Dislike it.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 13, 2017, 05:45:41 AM »

"Please Let Me Wonder" opens the door on a lush musical landscape entirely new to pop.

It also features another classic less-is-more instrumental break.

Certainly deserving of a five in my book.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 90 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx