gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:59:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: How do you rate the whole Beach Boys discography?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 90 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Discuss Every Beach Boys Song Day By Day  (Read 410085 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 04:47:10 AM »

Your ratings for Ten Little Indians:
1...1 vote
2...0 vote
3...1 vote
4...1 vote
5...2 votes
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 06:45:06 AM by Watamushi » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2017, 04:48:20 AM »

Today's song is Chug-a-Lug

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuYOT7wu8gA
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 05:36:47 AM »

It's 1. Fluff.

Btw, glad TLI got more 5's than other rating. Jolly good! 3D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 05:40:34 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2017, 05:42:51 AM »

I used to think that "Ten Little Indians" was a poor choice of follow-up single to 'Surfin' Safari" although after hearing the entire album it's obvious that Capitol didn't have an awful lot of potential hit material to choose from!

I remember seeing it briefly in the "bubbling under" section of the Cashbox charts in an UK music mag at the time...

It's innocuous enough, I suppose. And like most BB stuff it's brief. I'll give it a 4.       

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2017, 05:45:12 AM »

1...1 vote
2...0 vote
3...1 vote
4...0 vote
5...2 votes

Would you like to add a 4 to those ratings? I was too late to catch the poll----and they say time stands still in cyberspace! Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2017, 06:45:24 AM »

1...1 vote
2...0 vote
3...1 vote
4...0 vote
5...2 votes

Would you like to add a 4 to those ratings? I was too late to catch the poll----and they say time stands still in cyberspace! Grin
Done!
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2017, 10:07:17 AM »

I kinda dig 'Chug a Lug'. The roughshod harmonies on the chorus have an odd charm about them. I'll give it a 3.

"Brian's still glued to the radio..."
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 10:12:05 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2017, 12:27:28 PM »

I used to think that "Ten Little Indians" was a poor choice of follow-up single to 'Surfin' Safari" although after hearing the entire album it's obvious that Capitol didn't have an awful lot of potential hit material to choose from!

I remember seeing it briefly in the "bubbling under" section of the Cashbox charts in an UK music mag at the time...

It's innocuous enough, I suppose. And like most BB stuff it's brief. I'll give it a 4.        

I was thinking about this very topic yesterday. I've always enjoyed Ten Little Indians. After Surfin' Safari and Surfin', it's right up there with Little Girl (You're My Miss America) and Chug-A-Lug as one of my favorites on the album. As you can guess, I'm particularly fond of Side 1.

Ten Little Indians / County Fair was indeed the follow-up single to Surfin' Safari (#14, 17 weeks) and Surfin' (#75, 6 weeks) and was a moderate success. It reached #49 and spent 8 weeks on the charts. It was quite successful (top 30) in certain regions of the US, such as, the Midwest and Philly/AC. The only other song that I would have considered off the already released Surfin' Safari album would have been Chug-A-Lug. I started considering this once I read that, apparently, Brian was in favor of releasing it as the 3rd single. It's a fun song (especially to sing-a-long to) with great bass vocals. As Summer_Days points out, it's (oddly) charming. Also, it veers away from surfing, but not so much from their target audiences everyday life and the California image (as Ten Little Indians does). It's a fun way to introduce the general public to the members of the band before introducing their trademark sound with Surfin' USA a few months later. I don't think Chug-A-Lug would been a huge hit, but I think it may have inched a little closer to the top 40. While, it's fun to think about it, I also don't think it matters! Nothing was going to change what was about to happen.

Additionally, you are right, JK, Ten Little Indians is brief. Clocking in at just under 90 seconds. That seems a little too short for a single. Chug-A-Lug was more appropriately about 2:00 minutes long. That got me curious about the shortest songs to chart and I found this article...
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7549893/longest-shortest-hot-100-hits-kendrick-lamar-beyonce
According to this article, the fifth shortest song to chart clocked in at 1:20 and the article further states that "Stay" (which went to #1) narrowly missed the top 5 at 1:38, so no matter how you look at it, Ten Little Indians was one short, somewhat successful single.

I give Ten Little Indians and Chug-A-Lug 3.5
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 12:36:38 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2017, 06:07:57 PM »

2 B.E.: You enjoy "Ten Little Indians", yet gave it 3.5. Therein lies difference - I rate songs seclusively, i.e. don't compare between them. You seem to do this: like song, it can be even favorite album track but give it 3.5 as "5" is songs like GOK etc. Correct?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2017, 07:52:43 PM »

Damn, wish I was aware of this thread earlier. Chug A Lug's pretty meh, and I don't really care for Ten Little Indians at all. County Fair however is an early favourite of mine - a product of a bygone era - while Surfin' Safari is a solid classic.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2017, 02:57:17 AM »

Damn, wish I was aware of this thread earlier.
Cool you joined. Post here, people. 3D

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2017, 04:45:19 AM »

Damn, wish I was aware of this thread earlier. Chug A Lug's pretty meh, and I don't really care for Ten Little Indians at all. County Fair however is an early favourite of mine - a product of a bygone era - while Surfin' Safari is a solid classic.
Glad you noticed. Enjoy discussing & rating  Cheesy
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2017, 04:54:46 AM »

Your ratings for Chug-a-Lug:
1...1 vote
2...2 votes
3...3 votes
4...0 vote
5...0 vote
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2017, 04:56:09 AM »

Today's song is Little Girl (You're My Miss America).

Video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN8VhQaR8bI
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2017, 04:59:33 AM »

5. It's charming. Early Dennis' vocals are very wonderful, youthful & just great. Too bad he didn't keep that voice.

bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »

Really nothing special, but it's enjoyable. 4/5
bluesno1fann
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2017, 09:17:32 AM »

5. It's charming. Early Dennis' vocals are very wonderful, youthful & just great. Too bad he didn't keep that voice.
This sums it up for me, although I gave it a 4. The song is also like County Fair undoubtedly a product of its time, which in this case also adds to the appeal IMO. They just don't make 'em like this anymore  LOL
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2017, 09:31:16 AM »

I agree with RR, bummerinparadise, and Unreconstructed Wilsonite...enjoyable song, with an endearing vocal by Dennis. Unfortunately, for me, Mike's vocal seems a bit off. I think he could have sung it better. Still, I rate it a 3.5. It's right at home on Surfin' Safari. Very charming.

2 B.E.: You enjoy "Ten Little Indians", yet gave it 3.5. Therein lies difference - I rate songs seclusively, i.e. don't compare between them. You seem to do this: like song, it can be even favorite album track but give it 3.5 as "5" is songs like GOK etc. Correct?

That's right, RR. If I'm reviewing or rating a song or album, whether it be in this thread or the album reviews section, I am trying to think more-or-less objectively and am comparing them to other songs on the album, other BB albums, and even other popular music. However, in threads such as Beatles Survivor and Battle of the Songs, my only concern is my preference. It's entirely subjective. I voted against Drive My Car 11 times in a row because it literally is (by a VERY slim margin) my least favorite song on Rubber Soul, not because I necessarily think it's the "worst".

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2017, 09:49:06 PM »

I really like Dennis' vocals on this one too. A certain youthful sweetness about this song and his performance. What the hell, a 3.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2017, 02:18:59 AM »

The original has more oomph in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YJqS2Q6etM

The Boys simplify it considerably. Nothing to write home about but engaging in its way.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2017, 05:42:07 AM »

Your ratings for Little Girl:
1...0 vote
2...0 vote
3...1 vote
4...3 votes
5...2 votes
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2017, 05:42:54 AM »

Today's song is 409.

Video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuUfidbM_nM
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2017, 07:05:34 AM »

The other great song on the album. True, the boys' later car songs would eclipse this one, but it's still a fun listen. Rev 'er up, Mr. Usher! Give it a 4.5 if I could, so....a 5.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2017, 07:28:51 AM »

Yes, a 5 from me too. Any song with "positraction" in it deserves full marks.

Could this be the only hit song with real-life car noises on it (as opposed to stuff from a sound effects library)? There can't be too many of them around...

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2017, 02:00:42 AM »

Yes, a 5 from me too. Any song with "positraction" in it deserves full marks.

Could this be the only hit song with real-life car noises on it (as opposed to stuff from a sound effects library)? There can't be too many of them around...

There were some car noises on J&D's Drag City as well if I remember correctly.

I kind of like 409. Not a great composition per se but the words and the music match really well, which is nice.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 90 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx