gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:38:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Millenial Invasion Begins  (Read 4896 times)
Amalgamate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2017, 07:11:18 PM »

Yo! I'm a new fan. I first listened to the Beach boys something like ten years ago and I liked a handful of songs like Fun Fun Fun, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Heroes and Villains, I Get Around... basically some singles. I never got to look into their stuff further because I didn't have the albums. Cut to half a year ago, I decide to check them out on Spotify for whatever reason and I am just shocked that Brian Wilson basically did all the things I wished somebody would do in music. Cool harmonic progressions. Intricate vocal arrangements. Also, on Smile, crazy metaphorical lyrics (I know he didn't write them but he asked for them so it counts). Like everyone and their mother, I was fascinated by the specter of the Smile project, and I firmly believe that had it been released, it would have gone down as an influential and boldly experimental pop work - can't speak about the record sales, though. I haven't really looked into the band's post-Pet Sounds work except for a couple of songs (heard "Sail on Sailor" live at the BW concert and thought it totally rocked??? and on the other side of the spectrum is Kokomo, which is the textbook definition of a guilty pleasure), so there's still new things to find out. I also admit that I love reading about the band drama and am waiting for the day some intrepid Beach Boys fan writes some Tolstoyian fanfiction version of "The Making of SMiLE."

I am what some folks call a Whippersnapper, and I don't think enjoying classic rock-era material means you can't also enjoy modern pop music like Ke$ha or Lady Gaga (though they stopped being relevant five years ago for rather unfortunate external reasons... but I digress). I like transparently commercial club bangers and I think they're brilliant in the function they serve, much like Pet Sounds is brilliant in its own context. Grand album, but if they started playing it at a club, I think I'd leave. I really do enjoy music in its many permutations, and I'm always looking for new artists and songs to check out.

I've been doing some lurking, but only recently decided to step out into the light. Look forward to meeting y'all! One question: what is your policy on reaction GIFs? Wink

I tricked a club promoter into playing "The Elements" at a show and it was *fire*.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 08:14:30 AM »

Welcome, GIFs are welcome as well! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:16:54 AM »

Oh, I missed your thread. Welcome from Japan Cheesy
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 07:47:01 AM »

Welcome from the other Millennium!

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Amalgamate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 11:42:53 PM »

Thank you all for your welcomes! (Or perhaps, "You're Welcome" for your welcomes?) Glad to know GIFs are welcome too - I'll have to upload them all somewhere to use 'em.

Most importantly, I need to start making Beach Boys GIF sets. And Beach Boys memes. Oh, the memes. Maybe I'll make that thread one day.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:43:19 PM by Amalgamate » Logged

I tricked a club promoter into playing "The Elements" at a show and it was *fire*.
Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 08:13:01 AM »

Thank you all for your welcomes! (Or perhaps, "You're Welcome" for your welcomes?) Glad to know GIFs are welcome too - I'll have to upload them all somewhere to use 'em.

Most importantly, I need to start making Beach Boys GIF sets. And Beach Boys memes. Oh, the memes. Maybe I'll make that thread one day.

I've made some Beach Boys gifs but I never tried posting them in forums, I don't know if they work. I like memes, too.

Welcome aboard!!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx