gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:19:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Rosie Hamlin  (Read 2967 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2017, 07:56:44 AM »

The author and singer of the pop evergreen "Angel Baby" died on March 30 aged 71.

With a respectful nod to PSF for passing on this sad fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xm3qnh1sck

Rest in peace, Ms Hamlin. Your song will live on.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 09:24:03 AM »

One of the greatest songs from that era. RIP.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 03:14:47 PM »

R.I.P

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 03:34:02 PM »

Damn.  Sad

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 06:15:41 AM »

One of the greatest songs from that era.
Disagree but nice voice.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »

she will be missed.  The Skyliners say it best with "Since I Don't Have You".   https://youtu.be/ngZh6ZSRoYg

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 02:09:57 PM »

she will be missed.  The Skyliners say it best with "Since I Don't Have You".   https://youtu.be/ngZh6ZSRoYg

Good call, Will. You're right, they do say it best. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 05:28:10 PM »

Garfunkel does a beautiful version, too.  Thought The Skyliners was more time specific.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 07:55:27 PM »

My first exposure to Angel Baby was via John Lennon. I had no idea who the "Rosie" was that he mentions in the intro. I always thought it was a former girlfriend or somesuch. It was years later that I heard the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC3Ucv0MECk
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 09:16:15 PM »

Angel Baby is a song my dad and I used to talk and joke about all the time. We used to call it the "best worst song ever recorded". It sounds like a rather "amateur" recording. The shrill voice of the singer, the out of tune guitar, etc. My favorite part is the major timing error during the saxophone solo that almost makes the whole song break down.  Grin

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 11:43:44 PM »

Angel Baby is a song my dad and I used to talk and joke about all the time. We used to call it the "best worst song ever recorded". It sounds like a rather "amateur" recording. The shrill voice of the singer, the out of tune guitar, etc. My favorite part is the major timing error during the saxophone solo that almost makes the whole song break down.  Grin
Then you really need to hear the b-side! It's not even Rosie singing, but the drummer is on the on beat all the way through, the sax comes in too early, the guitar solo is just laughably inept! John Lennon loved it!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 04:39:41 AM »

Then you really need to hear the b-side! It's not even Rosie singing, but the drummer is on the on beat all the way through, the sax comes in too early, the guitar solo is just laughably inept! John Lennon loved it!

Here 'tis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEGLkMf75aY

Featuring Bluford Wade on vocals and finger-popping... 

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 04:06:12 AM »

I had heard the song before, but this is the first time I've really paid attention to it. I have so many questions! Did they not rehearse before they recorded it? Did they not hear how terribly lost and off beat the singer was? Why on earth was the drummer on the wrong beat?  Did they deliberately make the finger snapping off beat and inconsistent? Did they listen to it after it was recorded and think it was goodThud

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 10:17:04 PM »

I had heard the song before, but this is the first time I've really paid attention to it. I have so many questions! Did they not rehearse before they recorded it? Did they not hear how terribly lost and off beat the singer was? Why on earth was the drummer on the wrong beat?  Did they deliberately make the finger snapping off beat and inconsistent? Did they listen to it after it was recorded and think it was goodThud
They probably paid for an hour of studio time, got a suitable master of "Angel Baby", and five minutes left on the clock. Those kinds of things happened back in the 50's and 60's.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx