gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680881 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 09:51:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Songs Taught At School?  (Read 918 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2017, 11:59:43 PM »

I posted the same topic on PSF, but I didn't get enough replies, so I gonna question you here:

I read the comment by ScarolineZ quoted below on Discuss Every BB song thread and found it very interesting.

For 4 years in highschool, my vocal teacher (who I realize now was a huge Brian Wilson fan, with his "you're flatting, babies!" comments and such, LOL) tried to teach our class to sing I Get Around. I was in the soprano section, so I got to do Brian's part  Smiley  . But we never got it right, at least not all at once as whole group. Not once in 4 years did the class manage to nail it to my teacher's satisfaction. To his credit, he kept trying, year after year, hoping we'd finally get it. He wanted us to perform it at some event or other, but we never did. I'm so disappointed all these years later that we never could pull it off!

I've never heard of Beach Boys songs that are taught at schools, colleges and universities, though I knew songs of other rock groups like the Beatles, Carpenters and Simon&Garfunkel appeared on some music textbooks.

Now, have you ever heard of teaching, or actually been taught, BB songs at schools or colleges? I'm curious.
Uncle Jesse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 07:19:14 AM »

In 7th grade my concert band played an arrangement of Kokomo.  I don't really remember much of it, I think I played the drum set part.  I can't imagine it was very good.

I remember in High School overhearing the choir rehearsing Barbara Ann and Little Saint Nick, and it was....rough.  As far as I know they never ended up performing them. 

"Have mmmmeeeerrrcccyyyy!" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 11:47:19 AM »

Elementary school the music teacher, a little old lady, who just loved to play california girls on piano, Usually just the instrumental then she would play hang on sloopy and make the class singalong. If i can find my 2nd grade yearbook theres a hilarious picture of her jammin out at the piano Grin

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx