gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:32:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you think is the best song of three?
All Dressed Up for School
I Just Got My Pay
Marcella

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battle of the Songs #1: All Dressed Up Vs. I Just Got My Pay Vs. Marcella  (Read 5592 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2017, 09:51:06 PM »

Hi, here is the first thread of the series 'Battle of the Songs'. We're going to have polls to select one best song from some BB songs that are worth comparing to each other. Each poll lasts for three days.

The very first BotS is between three songs that have the same melodies; All Dressed Up for School, I Just Got My Pay and Marcella.

During Today! sessions, the first attempt to the tune, All Dressed Up for School was recorded, but it never appeared either on albums or singles. It finally found its way on 1990's Little Deuce Coupe/All summer Long Two-Fer.

They did second attempt during Sunflower sessions in 1969. I Just Got My Pay was that. It was at first considered for albums, but it never was officially released until Good Vibration box in 1993.

During Carl & the Passions sessions, they recorded the third and last attempt to the tune, Marcella. It was ended up on that album in 1972.

Now, which do you think is the best song. I'm looking forward to seeing your interesting opinions on them.

All Dressed Up for School: www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsIWGs0e6MM
I Just Got My Pay: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIteX8PtILQ
Marcella: www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmkyOD714PA
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 08:05:21 AM by Watamushi » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 02:47:00 AM »

All Dressed Up for School, IMO, is good song with stable production and vocals, but not a standout at that time when Brian was making a lot of amazing stuff.

I Just Got My Pay is a fun song with some funny sound effects and catchy organ, definitely my favorite of three.

Marcella is one of the best song on CATP, but it lucks a certain sense previous both songs had.

My vote goes for I Just Got My Pay Grin
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 02:56:28 AM »

i really dig 'all dressed up' especially more so learning that Al is on falsetto.
but 'marcella' is the song of my choice.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 02:59:00 AM »

I vote for "Marcella" as I'm a sucker for that shaken percussion instrument in the coda whose name eludes me right now.

In fact, the coda is astounding on all counts.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 05:20:24 AM »

3 bad songs. Didn't vote. Don't get the hulabaloo around "Marcella". ADUFS is leftover for reason. Cool a cappella aside, ditto IJGMP.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Scaroline No
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 05:46:47 AM »

I agree with RangeRover about ADUFS and IJGMP, neither one were good enough for album release and I'm glad they didn't make the cut. *

But I love Marcella, it seems to me to be the best conclusion to that song's evolution from its beginning as ADUFS, through IJGMP. It's one of the shining jewels of CATP. Marcella gets my vote.

*Having said that, I love that we so often get to hear the evolution of Beach Boys/Brian Wilson's songs... from their often humble beginnings, multiple attempts and iterations, until they either just stop evolving and lie in suspended animation, or reach their awesome conclusion. So in a way, I have a soft spot for both ADUFS and IMGMP as well.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 05:06:33 AM »

The winner is Marcella.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 08:25:17 AM »

Sorry I'm late... I'm surprised no one jumped in to declare the 'In Concert' version of Marcella the best! That's a popular opinion around here.

Anyway, my favorite song of these three is Marcella and my favorite version is the CATP version.  If you had asked me a few years ago I would have responded Marcella right away, without a second thought, but my appreciation for All Dressed Up For School and I Just Got My Pay continues to grow...

I don't understand why ADUFS wasn't released back in the mid-60s (same with I Do). I feel bad for any fans who may have passed away before having the opportunity to hear this track in 1990. It wasn't even B-side worthy? Talk tracks were superior? I really don't get it. Carl's vocal, the harmonies, the way the bass slides in during the intro, the energy, everything about it...this is pure Brian Wilson and fits right in with his other work during this era. Although, for this reason, I do find Marcella to be more indispensable.

I understand that I Just Got My Pay was lost in the shuffle during the Sunflower sessions, and I do find Marcella to be superior, but it is one cool track worthy of appreciation. You know, I realize EPs weren't as popular in the US, but I often wish the BBs had experimented more with that format. The left over Sunflower tracks could have been released as an EP sometime during the '70-'74 period when the bands output slowed down. Why not release the songs? Also, it could have aided the group when you consider that it became more and more difficult for Brian and the boys to record an album of new material. It was simply too daunting for Brian at that time. Perhaps if he focused his efforts on an EP, instead of an LP, it would have seemed more manageable.

By the way, when I first discovered songs like I Just Got My Pay, you realize as a fan, that Brian was more involved during this era than their studio albums would lead you to believe.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 08:26:48 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 10:14:23 AM »

I'm too late, but whatever.

1. 'Marcella'
2. 'I Just Got My Pay'
3. 'All Dressed Up For School'

Third time was the charm.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx