gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:32:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Buddy' Wilbury  (Read 8457 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2017, 06:24:27 AM »

While I don't think any of the BBs were on that Wilburys wavelength, I'd argue even Carl would have at least a slightly better chance of working personality-wise, based on the scant info we actually have about his personality.

I'd say if you could take a 2000s Al Jardine (e.g. a more relaxed, chilled-out version) and put him in the 1988 Wilburys, that might work.

But then again, while the Wilburys thing wasn't about ego, it was about a minimum level of some era of name recognition and stardom. Brian was the only BB that would have fit *that* bill. This was a band where Lynne, leader and creative force behind ELO with 17 Top 40 hits was the "obscure" name in the band. So in that sense Carl or Al wouldn't have worked.
Carl would have been the best fit as a personality. Maybe they should have brought him into the group after Roy died. Carl was friendly with Petty, and I imagine he would have bonded with George - the youngest members of their respective groups, lead guitarists, and so often overshadowed by other band members.
I have thought about that from time to time. I think Carl lending his voice and guitar to the Wiburys would have been great. I guess what we got was Carl's "soft rock super group" with Beckley and Lamm.

Carl is also credited with doing background vocals on Tom Petty's Honey Bee, but I can't hear him on it. Has anyone else been able to distinguish him on that song?

Yeah, I never was able to hear Carl very prominently on "Honey Bee." It's weird that Petty was such a big fan and apparently a friend of Carl, yet they did so very little together.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2017, 12:04:25 AM »

I could be wrong, because in public he was mostly very soft spoken, but I suspect Carl had a wacky sense of humour that would have blended with the Wilburys very well. I mean, Bob Dylan is not a guy you see laughing and smiling a lot in public, but he was definitely in on the gag with the Wilburys. Too bad Elvis Presley was not around for the gig - he and Harrison would have connected immediately, both being fans of the Pythons. That's assuming Colonel Parker was out of the way.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 05:25:08 AM »

I could be wrong, because in public he was mostly very soft spoken, but I suspect Carl had a wacky sense of humour that would have blended with the Wilburys very well.

What makes you suspect that? Is there evidence or is it a hunch?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2017, 09:29:29 AM »

Carl DID have a well-honed sense of humor. He was the master of the drive-by verbal zinger -- he'd make a comment, walk off, and then you'd realize that you'd been had. I was on the receiving end of those a couple of times, and I'm just a fan.

I've also heard stories of Carl pranking people. Dean Torrence recounts one in his book, from when the BBs and J&D toured together, where they're flying to the next gig and Carl asks Dean what keys J&D's songs are in. They'd already knew because they'd rehearsed them -- Carl was just having a little fun.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:29:55 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2017, 09:40:32 AM »

Thanks. I didn't mean my question to be combative, by the way, in case anyone read it that way. Just a real question, as I didn't know.

It wouldn't / doesn't surprise me, however, in that in my experience families tend to mostly share senses of humor. In my family's case, all of my brothers and I more or less think the same sorts of things are funny, and when we get together will riff along those lines. Our parents, while never quite fully on board or up to speed, more or less find the same ideas or approaches funny. Other families seem to me to be mostly the same: even though this or that member might be more the extroverted clown versus the introverted, quietly sarcastic one, the basic senses of humor seem mostly shared.

So, with Brian being funny, I would think to some extent Carl and Dennis would be similarly funny.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2017, 10:02:23 PM »

Just some crazy talk, but Jeff Lynne, in the aftermath of producing Harrison's Cloud Nine, and in the months before The Travelling Wilburys came together, spent a bit of time with Brian working on Let it Shine.

So the always popular 'what if' question. As the Wiburys came together in Malibu (where Brian was living at the time) What if Jeff suggested they bring Brian in? Two obvious fans of Brian in Lynne and Petty. The Beatle-Beach Boy connection. Would it have worked? I mean, success of this band was never in question. And it elevated the careers of most of the members. Could it have succeeded where Brian's solo effort fell short? (Exposure, sales) Now I can't really 'feel' Brian in with this crew, but who knows. Even Landy would probably have loosened the reigns somewhat, knowing the payoff.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

I can't see it working.  For starters, Brian wasn’t in his best emotional state during that period and working with him would have been difficult.   Further, what made the Wilburys work was that they were all close friends and did the album for fun.  Brian wasn’t really in that clique.   

On the other hand, I also thought Carl might have been a better fit for the band. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2017, 10:10:05 PM »

While I don't think any of the BBs were on that Wilburys wavelength, I'd argue even Carl would have at least a slightly better chance of working personality-wise, based on the scant info we actually have about his personality.

I'd say if you could take a 2000s Al Jardine (e.g. a more relaxed, chilled-out version) and put him in the 1988 Wilburys, that might work.

But then again, while the Wilburys thing wasn't about ego, it was about a minimum level of some era of name recognition and stardom. Brian was the only BB that would have fit *that* bill. This was a band where Lynne, leader and creative force behind ELO with 17 Top 40 hits was the "obscure" name in the band. So in that sense Carl or Al wouldn't have worked.
Carl would have been the best fit as a personality. Maybe they should have brought him into the group after Roy died. Carl was friendly with Petty, and I imagine he would have bonded with George - the youngest members of their respective groups, lead guitarists, and so often overshadowed by other band members.
I have thought about that from time to time. I think Carl lending his voice and guitar to the Wiburys would have been great. I guess what we got was Carl's "soft rock super group" with Beckley and Lamm.

Carl is also credited with doing background vocals on Tom Petty's Honey Bee, but I can't hear him on it. Has anyone else been able to distinguish him on that song?

You can hear Carl more prominently on the Petty song "Hung Up and Overdue".

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2017, 06:20:29 AM »

I could be wrong, because in public he was mostly very soft spoken, but I suspect Carl had a wacky sense of humour that would have blended with the Wilburys very well. I mean, Bob Dylan is not a guy you see laughing and smiling a lot in public, but he was definitely in on the gag with the Wilburys. Too bad Elvis Presley was not around for the gig - he and Harrison would have connected immediately, both being fans of the Pythons. That's assuming Colonel Parker was out of the way.

If you watch the "Beatles Anthology", they rather wryly point out that some years later Elvis wasn't exactly singing the praises of people like the Beatles when he was visiting with the President. Sharing a love for Monty Python I don't think would have been enough.

There's a rather snarky but funny interview Harrison did around 1995 for Australian TV to promote the "Anthology" and whatnot, and he's rather snarky about Elvis in that interview too, and one point pointing out that they "found some blood in his drug stream."

(Off topic, but this was also the interview where he was already being kind of smartass about the Beatles "reunion" tracks, saying that he hoped when he died that "someone takes all my crap demos and turns them into hit records.")

Again, I really have to point people to digging into the Wilburys and their joint interviews and things like that. I just don't think even Carl would have fit that. It wasn't just about having a sense of humor. It was as much if not more about pre-existing friendships and *deep* mutual musical admiration. I don't think anybody in the Wilburys would have or could have found a bad thing to say about Carl and I'm sure they would have all not been stupid enough to denigrate the importance of the BBs in any way. But most of the guys in the Wilburys had already worked together and/or had expressed deep admiration for each other's work. *And* then they also had a very specific shared sense of humor that went beyond Monty Python.

Also not helping the conjecture about Carl is that he was so private. I don't blame anyone for not knowing whether he had a sense of humor. He rarely gave interviews, and even more rarely stepped outside his polite, classy persona.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2017, 02:44:06 PM »

If you watch the "Beatles Anthology", they rather wryly point out that some years later Elvis wasn't exactly singing the praises of people like the Beatles when he was visiting with the President. Sharing a love for Monty Python I don't think would have been enough.

There's a rather snarky but funny interview Harrison did around 1995 for Australian TV to promote the "Anthology" and whatnot, and he's rather snarky about Elvis in that interview too, and one point pointing out that they "found some blood in his drug stream."

(Off topic, but this was also the interview where he was already being kind of smartass about the Beatles "reunion" tracks, saying that he hoped when he died that "someone takes all my crap demos and turns them into hit records.")

Oddly enough, Elvis' humour could be a bit snarky, too, although mostly that was in private conversation, like when he told the director of one of his movies "there were some pretty funny things in that script, i'm gonna have to read it sometime!" Another time, they were discussing a song in the film, and Elvis said he wanted the Jordanaires to sing behind him on the song. The director said "Elvis, you'll be riding down the highway on a motorcycle when you sing this song, where would the Jordanaires be?" and Elvis replied "the same damn place the music is coming from!"

A more likely Wilbury might have been Carl Perkins. George had a long running friendship with him, and Petty became friends with him in his later years. No, he wasn't a star of the magnitude of Dylan, Orbison, etc, but he was a guy they all respected and loved.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2017, 06:40:59 AM »

Carl Perkins was the name I remember fans throwing around the most after Orbison's death, in terms of "if the band needs a replacement, that would seem most likely." I would tend to agree for lack of anybody else's name making more sense. He was obviously loved by George and also Jeff, and probably Petty as well. I don't know how much Dylan has mentioned Perkins over the years, but I can't imagine him objecting. And of course, Perkins and Orbison had been good friends and had worked together in past years.

Of course, Perkins was much more on the "rockabilly" side of things as compared to Orbison, who vacillated between rockabilly style and epic ballads. Perkins wouldn't have rounded out the band as well as Orbison had (I can't imagine Perkins singing something like "Not Alone Anymore", though he did write some good acoustic/country-ish ballads), but would have been the closest they could have gotten to Orbison. Harrison mentioned in interviews over the years that he was always fascinated with the sort of "American" quality of Dylan and Petty and felt it was a unique thing they brought that Harrison couldn't, and Perkins would have also fit this bill.

But yes, musically you could imagine Perkins fitting right in, whereas any of the Beach Boys, even Carl, didn't scream "five acoustic guitars" rockabilly status particularly.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2017, 05:34:30 PM »

Carl Perkins was the name I remember fans throwing around the most after Orbison's death, in terms of "if the band needs a replacement, that would seem most likely." I would tend to agree for lack of anybody else's name making more sense. He was obviously loved by George and also Jeff, and probably Petty as well. I don't know how much Dylan has mentioned Perkins over the years, but I can't imagine him objecting. And of course, Perkins and Orbison had been good friends and had worked together in past years.

Of course, Perkins was much more on the "rockabilly" side of things as compared to Orbison, who vacillated between rockabilly style and epic ballads. Perkins wouldn't have rounded out the band as well as Orbison had (I can't imagine Perkins singing something like "Not Alone Anymore", though he did write some good acoustic/country-ish ballads), but would have been the closest they could have gotten to Orbison. Harrison mentioned in interviews over the years that he was always fascinated with the sort of "American" quality of Dylan and Petty and felt it was a unique thing they brought that Harrison couldn't, and Perkins would have also fit this bill.

But yes, musically you could imagine Perkins fitting right in, whereas any of the Beach Boys, even Carl, didn't scream "five acoustic guitars" rockabilly status particularly.
There's a youtube video of Perkins singing Matchbox with Bob and his band circa 1993. There's a great Wilburys type song on Carl's final album, "Distance Makes No Difference With Love". Petty invited him to share the stage at some gigs in the mid 90's. Lots of history between those guys.
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 12:23:13 PM »

I have heard (or at least believe my ears) that I've heard Carl on the backing vocals for Honeybee.  FLAC file with very good headphones.  Otherwise, I can't.

DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2017, 07:53:13 PM »

A tad off topic, but Carl on Tom's 'Hung Up And Overdue' is a favourite musical moment of mine. 'She's The One, is an underrated album, IMO.

Carl also sang on the track "Honey Bee" from Tom's album "Wildflowers".
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2017, 09:04:54 AM »

I guess Carl was in his own sort of supergroup with Beckley Lamm Wilson. Would this band have gained some traction/continued if Carl hadn't passed away?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 11:27:47 AM »

No...They were all after the fact 'names'.  Muzak had 'moved on' by that point ... ... ... to deplorable, computer generated, talent-free crap.  [where it has tended to wallow...ignored by discerning musicologists...for some 25 + years now.]

I'm wrong?  The whole industry is floating in a cesspool of aimless stagnation and ruin.  Radio play video music.  [for the eyes].  TV has slowed way down on playing videos...'cause they suck.  The record industry is a shadow of its former self-serving self and artists have to pretty much go it alone.

Beckley Lamm Wilson.

Not then.  Not now.  [and I LOVED Carl, respect Gerry and think that Robert rocks.]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2017, 11:38:14 AM »

I guess Carl was in his own sort of supergroup with Beckley Lamm Wilson. Would this band have gained some traction/continued if Carl hadn't passed away?

I doubt it. It's kind of a snooze-fest, and frankly had Carl lived, I would have kind of hoped the album tanked and would lead Carl to do something better, perhaps writing some stuff and also enlisting some other writers and co-writers to do something with somewhat more of an organic sound.

Most of Carl's solo stuff, the two early 80s albums and "Like a Brother", have a weirdly sterile sound production-wise.

As I mentioned in a previous post, "Hung Up and Overdue" is the type of music/songs Carl could have blown people away with had he done a full solo album of stuff like that (both in terms of music style and production sound). I'll never understand why, if he was such buddies with Petty, they never did something more substantial together.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx