gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:43:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Very Short and Specific Moments That Evoke Unusually Strong Emotions  (Read 10436 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2017, 11:13:09 AM »

Denny's voiceover on the Christmas album.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2017, 08:31:59 AM »

Great thread.

The one singularly strongest moment for me might be the end of "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" where it does the round of repeating the title lyrics, and on the third time through it adds a downward chromatic chord progression not featured anywhere else in the song. It feels melancholic, but a little bit triumphant too- you can wallow in it but feel that better things are coming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR7_TbMIVnA#t=02m40s

But I'll add, after linking it above, that it doesn't sound as good in isolation. As I'm sure with most of the moments here, it's the build and anticipation that makes them so strong. Or, with intros, it's what they're setting you up for. Tension and release!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2017, 09:04:50 AM »

The short section of Sherry She Needs Me (MiC) starting at 2:11 leading up to Brian's incredibly sweet and youthful falsetto at 2:15. That falsetto gets me every time. It helps that I love the entire song, so when it gets to that part it's almost too much.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2017, 09:57:16 AM »

the other day listening to MIC cd's in my car I was reminded of one just such Beach Boys moment--FEEL FLOWS, following the Charles Lloyd flute instrumental break there's this rhythm breakdown / shift to a toy type piano taking lead over.  Man, that is just transcendent to listen again to
Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2017, 11:27:44 AM »

The timpani after the string section in "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)"

FEEL FLOWS, following the Charles Lloyd flute instrumental break there's this rhythm breakdown / shift to a toy type piano taking lead over.  Man, that is just transcendent to listen again to
I love that part as well!! It feels like turmoil and then suddenly calm.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx