gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:40:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Building a CD Collection  (Read 4118 times)
BRI1035
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2017, 07:41:53 PM »

I'm somewhat late in realizing my appreciation for Beach Boys music.  I started with Sounds of Summer compilation, then moved on to The Warmth of the Sun, from there Pet Sounds, and most recently The Smile Sessions.  I want to fill in my CD collection with the pre-Pet Sounds albums, but I am looking for some recommendations as to which versions to get.  Most seem to be available in either a two-fer version paired with another album, or as single-album mono / stereo combo releases.

Based solely on sound quality, is there any discernible difference between the two-fer releases and the mono / stereo CD versions of these albums?  I'm not necessarily enough of a completest to feel the need to have both the mono and stereo mixes of these, though I would certainly buy the mono / stereo releases over the two-fers if the sound quality was significantly better.

Any advice is welcomed!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:44:14 PM »

the 2000 two-fers are a must.  the 2012 remasters are 'touch n go'.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 07:55:11 PM »

i would also recommend the Hoffman 'lost and found' the original pre Capitol recordings also.
i personally prefer this over the 'beginning of the beach boys' 2 CD release.
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 09:59:22 PM »

The 1990 two-fers are the way to go, IMO. Sure, they are no-noised, but they sound great comparing to the recent remasters.

If you're willing to pay more to get the best sound, than get the DCC discs if you can.

Jon G.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 10:08:58 PM »

i find 'some' of those 1990 guys a little 'boxy' and 'dull', more the later 60's stuff from memory
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 10:22:01 PM »

1990 discs for me, too.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 12:03:40 AM »

I'd recommend you to get 2001 Capitol tow-fars. 

Plus, Endless Harmony Soundtrack is  a good way to learn how good BB stuff in the vaults is. You gotta get it second.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 12:32:24 AM »

this is an interesting shootout! the 1990's over the 2000's.  i have all of the 2012 copies but not
all of the 2000 versions.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 01:11:21 AM »

Watamushi is right. that and the 'hawthorne, california' set are both essential
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 02:46:03 AM »

this is an interesting shootout! the 1990's over the 2000's.  i have all of the 2012 copies but not
all of the 2000 versions.
I have only one 1990 copy(SS/Wild Honey), so I'm maybe not right. But I definitely prefer 2001 copies.

Anyway 1990 vs 2001 vs 2012 would be great idea for an another thread.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 02:51:11 AM »

Watamushi is right. that and the 'hawthorne, california' set are both essential
I don't recommend 'hawthone, california' to BB beginners, though I've never listened to it as a whole. It's surely essential, but not  so much interesting to those who aren't hardcore fans.

I'd recommend to buy GV box or Made in California over hawthone, california. They both have some important and excellent outtakes, and have a bunch of hits and great album cuts.   
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 06:17:56 AM »

1990s discs are efficient to collect (two albums in one) and fairly cheap to get and have good sound quality, so I say go for those.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 08:13:18 AM »

Plus Mark Linnett worked on the 1990 discs.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 04:00:04 PM »

And the 2000 discs!

I prefer the 1990 discs in terms of sound but the 2000 discs have some remixed songs that you need if you're a completist, and unlisted bonus tracks at the end of many of the discs.  The remixed songs off the top of my head are Baker Man, I Do, Old Folks at Home/Old Man River, and Can't Wait Too Long.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 04:28:18 PM »

I still haven't come up with the money to buy them all, but the Analog Productions SACD/CD hybrid discs are probably the best-sounding versions for the albums that they have issued.

Steve Hoffman's DCC CDs from the 90s are also must-haves sound quality-wise. He also did "Pet Sounds" again in mono for Audio Fidelity. Also excellent.

But a much more budget-conscious way to go that still gets you stuff that sounds good would be to go with the 2001 two-fers of the 60s albums (they are mastered louder than the 1990 two-fers, but I think they sound less muddy and dull), and the 2000 two-fer CDs for the 70s and 80s albums (although I believe for some odd reason the physical CD of "MIU/LA Light Album" is out of print and goes for bigger bucks).

Then later if you want to for mono+stereo where available, you can skip past the 2012 Capitol remasters and go straight for the Analog Productions hybrid discs.

I think most people that get "into" the band end up going past what the hits compilations and boxed set compilations offer, so I say go straight for picking up those two-fers where you get nearly the entire base album catalog in a relatively compact fashion. Then, you can venture out into the sets that have the outtakes, because there *are* some outtakes on the various archival releases that are better than some of the stuff on the actual albums.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 04:30:41 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 05:51:44 PM »

So the Pickwick albums aren't all that 'Jude'?  Wink

PISS!!!

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
BRI1035
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 06:07:50 PM »

Thanks to all for the responses!  I ended up going with the 2001 two-fers.  It has been great discovering so many new (to me) songs, and the extensive track-by-track liner notes with each release have become my reading material for the weekend.  Thanks again!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 06:39:38 PM »

that's what we're here for  Grin
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 03:19:33 AM »

Thanks to all for the responses!  I ended up going with the 2001 two-fers.  It has been great discovering so many new (to me) songs, and the extensive track-by-track liner notes with each release have become my reading material for the weekend.  Thanks again!
Nice decision! Enjoy Cheesy
KDS
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 05:32:17 PM »

I'm somewhat late in realizing my appreciation for Beach Boys music.  I started with Sounds of Summer compilation, then moved on to The Warmth of the Sun, from there Pet Sounds, and most recently The Smile Sessions.  I want to fill in my CD collection with the pre-Pet Sounds albums, but I am looking for some recommendations as to which versions to get.  Most seem to be available in either a two-fer version paired with another album, or as single-album mono / stereo combo releases.

Based solely on sound quality, is there any discernible difference between the two-fer releases and the mono / stereo CD versions of these albums?  I'm not necessarily enough of a completest to feel the need to have both the mono and stereo mixes of these, though I would certainly buy the mono / stereo releases over the two-fers if the sound quality was significantly better.

Any advice is welcomed!

Thats exactly how I started.  Sounds of summer, Warmth of the Sun, and Pet Sounds.  I think the 2 fers are the way to go. 
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 08:38:28 PM »

Regarding the various choices being offered, for best sound quality, both the Analog Productions cds are excellent. Another option is the Japanese SACD reissues. There are several you cannot find in the USA. CD Japan is a reliable and reasonably priced vendor of Beach Boys cds.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx