gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:57:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Interview/Article - UK Independent  (Read 7604 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2017, 12:38:50 PM »

For what it's worth:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/beach-boys-mike-love-wont-give-up-the-game-at-76-a7653946.html

The few bits that are of (unfortunate) interest:

Does Love still see Brian? “He has his own life and his issues,” he says carefully of his cousin, who has diagnosed mental health conditions, and is said to have suffered auditory hallucinations since 1965 due to drug use. “It’s unfortunate, but Brian is on his own trajectory.”

Why is it unfortunate that Brian is doing his own thing? How is that any more unfortunate than Mike doing his own thing? I get it, he's implying Brian's trajectory is incorrect (based on, I guess, Mike's standards).

In Love’s memoir Good Vibrations: My Life as a Beach Boy, published last year, Love notes the sometimes god-like view which some music fans take of Brian Wilson, wryly acknowledging: “For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.”

But there’s no ongoing feud, he says, despite what people might like to believe. He sighs: “All that’s what our President might call fake news.”

I don't know what's more annoying, that he's using "fake news" as his line now, or that he denies there's a feud immediately after insulting Brian's "trajectory" in having his own career after Mike quit the band in 2012. Yes, perhaps "feud" is overstating it; it's more like a passive sort of cold war where the best you can really characterize it is that "well, at least there aren't any pending lawsuits." I get the sense relations are frosty as always, and they all have just realized lawsuits are too expensive.

What a bummer. I am, however, fascinated by how Mike doesn't seem to care how poorly he's going to go down in history. Weird.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 12:40:52 PM »

It's fake news Brian does deep cuts. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 01:14:49 PM »

Mike Love must've been a palm tree in his last life, because all he does is "throw shade" Roll Eyes

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 02:27:38 PM »

Here we go again.  Fake?  You've been eliminated from the only picture of 'The Beach Boys' I can see at BW dot Calm.  That's not "FAKE".  That's where YOU stand in the 2017 scheme of things 'love-bump'.  As for your quoting of the 'president'...how 'Mike' of you. Roll Eyes
-------------------------------------

By the way 'love-dump'...there is a short form for spelling out "Antichrist".  Just type asshole.  It's WAY more accurate anyway.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:30:08 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 02:54:17 PM »

I don't read it at all that he is saying it is unfortunate that Brian is on his own trajectory, I think he is saying the mental issues/auditory hallucinations are unfortunate AND that Brian is on his own trajectory because of those issues.  That seems a rather reasonable reading of the quotes.  He didn't say "Brian is on his own unfortunate trajectory" for example, but that seems to be how the poster wants to interpret it.  But how the poster interpreted this sentence perhaps shows his/her own internal bias against Love.  Confirmation bias at work.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 03:06:37 PM »

Does Love still see Brian? “He has his own life and his issues,” he says carefully of his cousin, who has diagnosed mental health conditions, and is said to have suffered auditory hallucinations since 1965 due to drug use. “It’s unfortunate, but Brian is on his own trajectory.”

Fine for him to say that Brian's issues are unfortunate. But to suggest that's the reason why he and Brian don't see each other? And to suggest that his issues are still keeping him from doing what he wants (according to Mike--what-- seeing Mike?) , as if he's sitting at home staring at the wall and unable to function? That's not fair. He IS on his own trajectory, career-wise, of course.

Here's a more gracious answer: "No, I don't see my cousin. It's unfortunate, but we just haven't been able to work things out. I wish Brian well."
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 03:31:57 PM »

Or..."Brian knows that I'm an out and out dink and, as such, has chosen not to spend a waking moment wasting his time on the sorry likes of me."  Oh...wait.  That's the truth.  Mikey doesn't deal with 'true'.  Mikey makes things up to suit his 'plan'.  That it's 100% transparent...and that he's already told us all exactly WHY he does the sh*t he does should cover all of this but folks seem to forget that Mike does every  freakin' thing for his own "nourishment and revenge".  After that?  What's there to discuss?  Huh

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 05:45:29 PM »

For what it's worth:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/beach-boys-mike-love-wont-give-up-the-game-at-76-a7653946.html

The few bits that are of (unfortunate) interest:

Why is it unfortunate that Brian is doing his own thing? How is that any more unfortunate than Mike doing his own thing? I get it, he's implying Brian's trajectory is incorrect (based on, I guess, Mike's standards).

In Love’s memoir Good Vibrations: My Life as a Beach Boy, published last year, Love notes the sometimes god-like view which some music fans take of Brian Wilson, wryly acknowledging: “For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.”

But there’s no ongoing feud, he says, despite what people might like to believe. He sighs: “All that’s what our President might call fake news.”

I don't know what's more annoying, that he's using "fake news" as his line now, or that he denies there's a feud immediately after insulting Brian's "trajectory" in having his own career after Mike quit the band in 2012. Yes, perhaps "feud" is overstating it; it's more like a passive sort of cold war where the best you can really characterize it is that "well, at least there aren't any pending lawsuits." I get the sense relations are frosty as always, and they all have just realized lawsuits are too expensive.

What a bummer. I am, however, fascinated by how Mike doesn't seem to care how poorly he's going to go down in history. Weird.

To try and give Mike the benefit of the doubt, maybe when he said “It’s unfortunate, but Brian is on his own trajectory", the "unfortunate" part of that may have been in reference to the fact that are basically estranged. That is unfortunate. But yeah, with Mike, it's never gonna be worded selflessly and with tact. There will be some semblance of "appearance" of tact, but it rings hollow, because it's ALLLLLWAYS tinged with some passive aggressive icing.

Amy's suggestion of what Mike should have said is absolutely on point. Yes, even a 76-year old man should take suggestions from people on how to come off better.

The fact that Mike is continually saying things to attempt to legitimize the current administration makes perfect sense when one considers how he is also continually saying things to attempt to legitimize his own lineup. I guess for Mike, there is much reason for there to be much insecurity about the legitimacy of both - the only reason for repeated product placement-like mentions. That Mike finds the need to throw an effective political endorsement into an unrelated interview is eyeroll-worthy at best.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 05:53:45 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 01:20:05 AM »

Remember he's a pretty old guy, easy to slip over what you say.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 05:55:12 AM »

it rings hollow, because it's ALLLLLWAYS tinged with some passive aggressive icing.  1...

Amy's suggestion of what Mike should have said is absolutely on point.  2...

he is also continually saying things to attempt to legitimize his own lineup.  3...

1...And there-in lies his own undoing...and THAT's just with the '1/2 truths'.
2...What?  Mine wasn't as on the money?  LOL
3...This wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't such a dick.  If he was only 'pretty decent' as a man...more folks would give his unit the credit they collectively deserve for the job they do.  But he isn't THAT kind of guy and he discredits them and their effort just be opening his yap and spewing.  It's always ALL on  h i m.  And obviously he is not about to change.  What a dolt!!!  Has been for as long as I can remember caring about the development of the fresh new art the Beach Boys used to create.

No...this Beach Boy doesn't have a plastic pail, shovel or a legitimate clue.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:00:03 AM by Add Some » Logged

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 06:01:14 AM »

I have no issues with Mike mentioning 'fake news' and Trump. For me, it is just another sound bite that gained some legs like 'alternative facts' or 'wardrobe malfunction'. People are using these popular sound bites everywhere and nothing Mike Love can say will 'legitimize' anything or anyone.

I do have a concern that I have not read a lot about the Mike Love/Charles Manson connection in the past. That was always a Dennis story, as he was much more deeply involved and affected. Mike seems to be using it as a point of interest nowadays, perhaps overstating his role in that part of Beach Boys history.

It did answer a question that many of us have. I think Mike may have misunderstood Manson when he said, "You can't do that. You can’t leave the group." Maybe he took that a bit too literally, and that is why he is still touring at 76 years old? Grin

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 06:13:59 AM »

Mike keeps bringing up the Manson bit seemingly simply because it's something *outside* the group that he can essentially "name drop", or perhaps "story drop" is a better term.

Just like he'll mention how he's buddies with John Stamos, and Stamos was on "Full House." As if, being a co-writer on a bunch of hits and being a member of "The Beach Boys" wasn't enough.

So he seems to be kinda doing the same thing with this regurgitated Manson story. Oh, Manson is a topic of interest again for some reason? Well *I've* got a Manson story! Extra bonus points since it also serves to promote his book as well as get in another dig on a Wilson brother.

As for Mike's "unfortunate" comment, perhaps it's the lack of clarity from the writer, I dunno. Saying "He has his own life and his issues. It's unfortunate, but Brian is on his own trajectory" doesn't really scan to me like he's saying simply their estrangement is what is unfortunate. He's JUDGING Brian's current trajectory, which makes total sense because that's really just a very small variation on his continued insinuations and implications that Brian is essentially currently in a Landy-esque kind of situation.

Further, if that *were* the case and he was simply talking about the estrangement being the unfortunate thing, it's worth mentioning that Mike has been the *main* source of that estrangement by quitting the band in 2012 and then continuing to talk s**t on Brian and Melinda (and Carl and Dennis) in interview after interview. Let's be clear: Reading Mike's book and reading interviews, he LOATHES (and I'm really just using that word in place of "HATES", which is a word I don't like to use but certainly feel seems appropriate) Brian's wife. Whether justified or not, it appears Mike loathes Brian's wife and Brian is ambivalent at worst about Mike's wife (never heard Brian say one bad word about Jackie), and perhaps Mike should point out why THAT might be why there's an estrangement between he and Brian.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 08:36:58 AM »

Remember he's a pretty old guy, easy to slip over what you say.

Hmm. OK, I will be the first to say that writers can skew quotes, causing celebrities to be mis-represented. And yes, old people can get confused (though Mike seems pretty hearty. He tours the world and does 2-hour concerts).  But this is a pattern with Mike that's been going on for years. It's not the first time he has implied that Brian's "situation" is to blame for their estrangement. So it's not a single quote that we're judging unfairly. It's the latest quote in the same fashion as previous ones.

It's irritating for a few reasons. One is that it's hurtful to Brian and to Melinda. Two is that it's actually hurtful to Mike's reputation. I mean, how many people actually believe him, when the proof is right there that Brian is doing pretty well? He's touring, he's recording. He's attending events. So the fact that Brian hasn't gone over to Mike's house to write a song, when he has socialized and worked with so many other people...you can't blame his "trajectory" for that. You can't blame his past drug abuse and mental illness.   It doesn't make sense. His life is full. The deciding factor appears to be Mike himself. Mike's attitude. And many people realize this, so when Mike blames the trajectory, it hurts his credibility and makes him look like a jerk.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »

It's irritating for a few reasons. One is that it's hurtful to Brian and to Melinda. Two is that it's actually hurtful to Mike's reputation. I mean, how many people actually believe him, when the proof is right there that Brian is doing pretty well? He's touring, he's recording. He's attending events. So the fact that Brian hasn't gone over to Mike's house to write a song, when he has socialized and worked with so many other people...you can't blame his "trajectory" for that. You can't blame his past drug abuse and mental illness.   It doesn't make sense. His life is full. The deciding factor appears to be Mike himself. Mike's attitude. And many people realize this, so when Mike blames the trajectory, it hurts his credibility and makes him look like a jerk.

This. Exactly.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 09:12:32 AM »

It's irritating for a few reasons. One is that it's hurtful to Brian and to Melinda.  

I kinda think that being hurtful to Melinda is, sadly, the point and actual *purpose* often times with what Mike publicly says. Very, very sad.

Is there any parallel in rock history of a bandmate hating another bandmate's (or ex-bandmate's) spouse *so* much that they will repeatedly try to passive aggressively drag that spouse through the mud publicly by making all sorts of only slightly-veiled very, very f*cked up/twisted insinuations? I don't know quite how much the bad blood between Yoko and The Beatles played out over the years, but the repeated, years-long feud (that continues to only publicly eminate from the Mike Love corner) really feels like it's in its own realm.

I wish it weren't so. I get that some people just can't get along. I don't get the idea that as a celebrity, it's ok to publicly sh*t talk the spouse of one's first cousin over and over and over and over again.  Not sure why Mike thinks that he's doing himself any favors. He is seriously cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs if he thinks he's helping his reputation. I imagine anyone in Mike's circle who dares to tell him this would get banished to Siberia like Mike did to his own brother.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:35:59 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 09:30:22 AM »

Mike keeps bringing up the Manson bit seemingly simply because it's something *outside* the group that he can essentially "name drop", or perhaps "story drop" is a better term.

Just like he'll mention how he's buddies with John Stamos, and Stamos was on "Full House." As if, being a co-writer on a bunch of hits and being a member of "The Beach Boys" wasn't enough.

So he seems to be kinda doing the same thing with this regurgitated Manson story. Oh, Manson is a topic of interest again for some reason? Well *I've* got a Manson story! Extra bonus points since it also serves to promote his book as well as get in another dig on a Wilson brother.

As for Mike's "unfortunate" comment, perhaps it's the lack of clarity from the writer, I dunno. Saying "He has his own life and his issues. It's unfortunate, but Brian is on his own trajectory" doesn't really scan to me like he's saying simply their estrangement is what is unfortunate. He's JUDGING Brian's current trajectory, which makes total sense because that's really just a very small variation on his continued insinuations and implications that Brian is essentially currently in a Landy-esque kind of situation.

Further, if that *were* the case and he was simply talking about the estrangement being the unfortunate thing, it's worth mentioning that Mike has been the *main* source of that estrangement by quitting the band in 2012 and then continuing to talk s**t on Brian and Melinda (and Carl and Dennis) in interview after interview. Let's be clear: Reading Mike's book and reading interviews, he LOATHES (and I'm really just using that word in place of "HATES", which is a word I don't like to use but certainly feel seems appropriate) Brian's wife. Whether justified or not, it appears Mike loathes Brian's wife and Brian is ambivalent at worst about Mike's wife (never heard Brian say one bad word about Jackie), and perhaps Mike should point out why THAT might be why there's an estrangement between he and Brian.

I agree with all of this, HeyJude. I think Mike has taken the "I'm family, so that means I'm automatically right and nobody else gets to chime in" thing to such an extreme. I get that we're just fans who haven't grown up with these people, and are making observations from afar. But family members f*ck up relationships sometimes, and they need to own it.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 09:33:05 AM »

Even the Beatles "feud" was coming to an end when John was murdered. The 1970s period seemed to be just a rough patch like the BBs in that era. Mike Love will not stop trashing and suing BW for the rest of his life due to the jealousy/ lack of awareness of how lucky he is.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 09:34:16 AM »

I don't read it at all that he is saying it is unfortunate that Brian is on his own trajectory, I think he is saying the mental issues/auditory hallucinations are unfortunate AND that Brian is on his own trajectory because of those issues.  That seems a rather reasonable reading of the quotes.  He didn't say "Brian is on his own unfortunate trajectory" for example, but that seems to be how the poster wants to interpret it.  But how the poster interpreted this sentence perhaps shows his/her own internal bias against Love.  Confirmation bias at work.

Thanks member MikestheGreatest!! of giving us our confirmation bias check. I'm definitely gonna take a look in the mirror after this.

Regarding the "fake news". It's great how the current US president lambasts the "fake news", when it turned out that most fake news during that election came from those who support him/would see him in power and disproportionately to the extreme targeted his adversary.

But yea Mike, cheers for supporting that orange and angry boor. Great way to save an already tattered legacy I'm sure.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:39:48 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 10:21:41 AM »

I don't read it at all that he is saying it is unfortunate that Brian is on his own trajectory, I think he is saying the mental issues/auditory hallucinations are unfortunate AND that Brian is on his own trajectory because of those issues.  That seems a rather reasonable reading of the quotes.  He didn't say "Brian is on his own unfortunate trajectory" for example, but that seems to be how the poster wants to interpret it.  But how the poster interpreted this sentence perhaps shows his/her own internal bias against Love.  Confirmation bias at work.

If Mike hadn't given a myriad of interviews in recent years pretty specifically *lamenting* Brian's life trajectory (e.g. he's "controlled and medicated"), then maybe this Cam-esque "let's give Mike his trillionth benefit of the doubt" interpretation would be worth further looking into.

Mike gives the same style of interview over and over and over. Pointing out that Mike is *consistently* insulting Brian and going negative does not equal "confirmation bias."

Mike could have even given the *most generic* of platitudes and just said "I wish Brian well" or something and left it at that. He can't even bring himself to do that. When the server asks him what toppings he wants on his pizza, this is the guy that still answers "I didn't do drugs like the Wilsons."

Additionally, even if this favorable interpretation is what Mike meant, it's still insulting to Brian to imply his mental issues are still hurting his trajectory rather than pointing out how he has OVERCOME those issues.

Good job, the most generous, open-minded interpretation of Mike's comment still has Mike refusing to acknowledge Brian's triumph over adversity and instead calls his situation "unfortunate."

One step away from Beard's "Is Brian brain damaged? Yes." article.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 10:25:02 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 01:20:36 PM »

And let's suppose that Brian was giving it right back. Suppose that whenever Mike did an interview like this, Brian's publicist called up a publication and told them to print that Brian says Mike is a jerk, or Mike is difficult to work with, or Mike is obsessed with TM but hasn't learned from it? It would STILL be petty of Mike to do what he's doing. And it would be petty of Brian.

But as it is, Brian doesn't say anything, other than that he hasn't seen Mike in a while, or that he doesn't want to work with him. He leaves it at that. But Mike just keeps punching at him, even when he doesn't fight back. And that's REALLY petty. Especially at age 75. Let. It. Go. Find some peace in your life.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 01:55:51 PM »

"It's unfortunate, but no."

How hard was that? Embarrassed
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2017, 02:44:20 PM »

I'd like to see Mike give an interview under the influence of truth serum.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:45:07 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »

Would there be any difference? Angry
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 04:06:15 PM »

I would prefer that Mike not mention Brian's issues, past and current, when asked about their relationship, but there's probably more truth to what he says than most would care to admit.  I also cannot blame him if he's extremely irritated that he has to deal with someone who has no background in the music business, if he wants to work with or deal with Brian Wilson.     
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 04:27:48 PM »

I would prefer that Mike not mention Brian's issues, past and current, when asked about their relationship, but there's probably more truth to what he says than most would care to admit.  I also cannot blame him if he's extremely irritated that he has to deal with someone who has no background in the music business, if he wants to work with or deal with Brian Wilson.     

Brian and Melinda have been married for more than 20 years, so I'd say Melinda has more than 20 years of experience in the music business at this point.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx