gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:50:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you play Beach Boys albums when there are visitors?  (Read 10486 times)
KDS
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2017, 11:02:32 AM »

I posted the video Steam Boat on Facebook one time. I mentioned that in this song the Beach Boys would not have been out of place on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Some responses I got were
"I love California Girls" or "The Beach Boys and Pink Floyd? I don't think so." I'm thinking, did anybody actually play the video?

Steamboat and Leaving This Town would each fit on early 70s Floyd albums.

Totally! I might throw in Feel Flows, A Day in the Life of a Tree and Long Promised Road as well

Funny you mention A Day in the Life of a Tree.  I think Jack Rieley sounds a little like Floyd's Richard Wright on that song. 
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2017, 05:38:01 PM »

Playing an entire album definitely wouldn't fly with my group of friends.  Some of them can't stand the boys and maybe one person other than me listens to albums at all.  They're pretty much a top 40 or bust kind of group.  If we're at a bar I'll select some songs to make the whole joint to listen to though.  Evil
KDS
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2017, 09:15:59 AM »

Playing an entire album definitely wouldn't fly with my group of friends.  Some of them can't stand the boys and maybe one person other than me listens to albums at all.  They're pretty much a top 40 or bust kind of group.  If we're at a bar I'll select some songs to make the whole joint to listen to though.  Evil

There's not much comfort I can offer there.  Just make sure if you're at a bar to pay the extra credit for your songs so that they can't get skipped.  That was a common occurrence when I would go out to bars and play mostly classic rock songs (three songs into my selection of ten or more songs, somebody would always skip mine with some Top 40 rubbish). 
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2017, 10:25:16 AM »

I always have Beach Boys songs in mixes that I play when people are over sprinkled in with all kinds of other music.  I never get complaints.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2017, 09:46:57 AM »

Usually I've just got the current year's releases going on shuffle when people are over ... at least to begin with. As we get drunker, things usually get into rabbit holes of specific requests, interrupted requests, and interruptions of interruptions. It's in that territory where Beach Boys or BW inevitably come up. My friends have mostly come to humor me on that. In turn, I try not to force it, at least not too much or too early.
You are just too kind.  If you come to my house you can expect a full dose of Beach Boys and Brian.  For over a year after No Pier Pressure came out, that would be my first pick of the night.
If they didn't like that, they could piss-off out of the music room, plenty of seats in the Tv room. 15 Big Ones/Love You two-fer Cd, Imagination - especially the DVD, Orange Crate Art, my pick is
my pick.  Nothing to do with forcing it or not.  I take the Beach Boys with me to their houses, too.  On fourth of July, I'm going to hear Beach Boys In Concert - it's a tradition, home or away. 

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
KDS
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2017, 01:28:07 PM »

Usually I've just got the current year's releases going on shuffle when people are over ... at least to begin with. As we get drunker, things usually get into rabbit holes of specific requests, interrupted requests, and interruptions of interruptions. It's in that territory where Beach Boys or BW inevitably come up. My friends have mostly come to humor me on that. In turn, I try not to force it, at least not too much or too early.
You are just too kind.  If you come to my house you can expect a full dose of Beach Boys and Brian.  For over a year after No Pier Pressure came out, that would be my first pick of the night.
If they didn't like that, they could piss-off out of the music room, plenty of seats in the Tv room. 15 Big Ones/Love You two-fer Cd, Imagination - especially the DVD, Orange Crate Art, my pick is
my pick.  Nothing to do with forcing it or not.  I take the Beach Boys with me to their houses, too.  On fourth of July, I'm going to hear Beach Boys In Concert - it's a tradition, home or away. 

Ive done In Concert. Its a great mix of 60s hits and 70s album tracks.  And plays better at a gathering than most of the full length LPs.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx