gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:00:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you play Beach Boys albums when there are visitors?  (Read 10426 times)
Scaroline No
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 06:17:55 AM »

I usually play compilations that include Beach Boys songs, and I once played POB.

S, am I right in recalling that your sister's not exactly a fan? :-|

Exactly! But she also hated me when I played Queen and now she loves them, so maybe it's just a matter of time. Anyway, unbeknownst to her I sing BB songs to her baby daughter.  Grin

That's how you be an auntie! I need to have my niece and nephews over for a sleepover so we can dance to fun BB tunes Smiley They're sure not getting a real musical education at home....  LOL
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 11:58:35 AM »

Played "Full Sail" at a funk/soul/disco themed party and some people were listening to it and my friend asked me who it was  Wink
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 12:00:05 PM »

i never get visitors.
savage dude
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 12:01:48 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
KDS
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2017, 01:44:33 PM »

I was actually thinking about this more, and unfortunately, there really aren't many BB albums one can play for gatherings. 

Surfin Sufari / Surfin USA / Surfer Girl / Little Deuce Coupe - You can probably get away with either of these

SDV2 / All Summer Long  / Today - If you have a way of skipping the talk tracks

Christmas Album - If it's a Christmas get together, very appropriate

SDSN - Even with Bugged at My Ole Man, you might be able to spin this one

Party - Could probably work

Pet Sounds - Not really a party / get together vibe album. 

Smiley Smile - Definitely not. 

Wild Honey / Friends / 2020 / Sunflower / Surf's Up  - There are some quirky moments, but these could work, especially if it's a daytime get together. 

CATP / Holland - I think these would work for a get together

15 Big Ones / Love You / MIU / LA / KTSA / BB85 / Still Cruisin / SIP - While the quality of each release varies, I think there are too many skipable tracks to play any of these albums all the way through.

TWGMTR - Maybe, but the last three tracks would really bring the room down. 
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 06:36:49 PM »

once they come through the door, it's the last one they see......ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh  Evil
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2017, 10:07:45 PM »

The people in my area barley even know who they are. And if they do, then they only listen to what they hear on the radio.

Jon G.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2017, 10:11:35 PM »

once they come through the door, it's the last one they see......ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh  Evil

and then i strap them to a chair and torture them from 'lost and found' to 'TWGMTR'...
most of my subjects usually 'go' once i get a few tracks into 'summer in paradise'.
(would make a great 'Saw' movie)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2017, 12:17:22 AM »

The people in my area barley even know who they are. And if they do, then they only listen to what they hear on the radio.
This.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2017, 12:21:39 AM »

I was actually thinking about this more, and unfortunately, there really aren't many BB albums one can play for gatherings. 

CATP / Holland - I think these would work for a get together

15 Big Ones / Love You / MIU / LA / KTSA / BB85 / Still Cruisin / SIP - While the quality of each release varies, I think there are too many skipable tracks to play any of these albums all the way through.

TWGMTR - Maybe, but the last three tracks would really bring the room down. 
I think 15 Big Ones, Love You, MIU and KTSA are more cheerful and would work better for getting together than CATP and Holland which are too quiet and sometimes lifeless. Just my opinion though
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2017, 12:30:10 AM »

i like all those albums! i turned a kid onto 15 big ones who became a fan of that album alone!
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2017, 04:37:22 AM »

Love You is always ready near the turntable, my house my rules my music.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2017, 06:58:31 AM »

Why not? Wild Honey in particular makes for relaxed cheerful background listening. Endless Summer works really well too, I like the mix between early hits and deep cuts on that one.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2017, 07:03:01 AM »

Usually I've just got the current year's releases going on shuffle when people are over ... at least to begin with. As we get drunker, things usually get into rabbit holes of specific requests, interrupted requests, and interruptions of interruptions. It's in that territory where Beach Boys or BW inevitably come up. My friends have mostly come to humor me on that. In turn, I try not to force it, at least not too much or too early.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2017, 07:04:30 AM »

Smiley Smile or love you could segway well into the classic stuff at Cap's house. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2017, 08:11:55 AM »

No. I would not read Shakespeare to them, either. angel

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2017, 01:38:44 PM »

Never the beach boys. Only Abba

There is only abba

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2017, 03:50:56 PM »

I'm having a family get together tomorrow and I was looking at music I could play (and that my wife would accept - she knows I"m a BB fanatic but she's not much of a fan).  There isn't really party "background" music in the BB catalogue, there are too many quirky weird tracks, even the party album is too goofy and those fake party sounds . . .

The most acceptable would be Wild Honey (for a rocking crowd), Friends for soft music not too loud so they don't notice the weirdness, Holland for a progressive music crowd, and maybe Sunflower.  But I'm going to play Abbey Road, some Al Green and some Aretha instead of Beach Boys.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2017, 05:33:34 PM »

I don't play ANY albums by anybody when folks come over.  Even we 'dyed-in-the-wool' Beach Boys/Brian fans can't agree on the best 3 or 4 tracks from ANY album they've ever released.  So?  For the great unwashed?  It's all just unfamiliar music...or [worst case scenario...] MUZAK  I was in a position to learn WAY back...like over 40 years ago from some VERY smart 'programming' minds...that not even 50% of the people really, truly loved music by Elvis...or the Beatles...or the Beach Boys in THIS specific case.  That said ... if the majority DON'T even like the artist you want to assault their senses with... ... ...well THAT is a pretty good definition of what we used to call a "bummer".

SO?

Begin preparing mixes of music.  Songs you consider the BEST tracks from a variety of artists and albums.  Don't go overboard with any artist.  Make files of songs from different genres in case the 'gang' want to hear some 'country'.  Toss in Warmth of the Sun by Willie Nelson.

Need a West Indian 'thing'?  Add in 'Sunshine'.

Pick your favourite song or 2 for a 60's mix.  Is it a POP or a Rock mix?  There are appropriate choices.  Same for the 70s.  Way fewer from the 80s...but they're there.

Don't OVER 'Beach Boy' your guests.  Only sit and listen to entire albums from ANY one artist with someone else who's into it too.  Otherwise?  Everybody'll go home...and they won't be coming back.

Avoid at all costs any and all songs which highlight anything by the guy who's nose was/is on the critical list.  And Mickey Mouse with a sore throat might not work well for you either.  [unless you want to still have tons of chips and dip left over for breakfast tomorrow.]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 05:46:29 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2017, 05:40:36 PM »

I posted the video Steam Boat on Facebook one time. I mentioned that in this song the Beach Boys would not have been out of place on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Some responses I got were
"I love California Girls" or "The Beach Boys and Pink Floyd? I don't think so." I'm thinking, did anybody actually play the video?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2017, 06:22:53 PM »

I posted the video Steam Boat on Facebook one time. I mentioned that in this song the Beach Boys would not have been out of place on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Some responses I got were
"I love California Girls" or "The Beach Boys and Pink Floyd? I don't think so." I'm thinking, did anybody actually play the video?

When I decided to share my newfound love for the Beach Boys with my Facebook friends I was about to post Steamboat but eventually posted Cabinessence. I also described what I liked about the song and the band. I got only one comment: "Kokomo"  Shrug
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2017, 06:49:15 PM »

When I decided to share my newfound love for the Beach Boys with my Facebook friends I was about to post Steamboat but eventually posted Cabinessence. I also described what I liked about the song and the band. I got only one comment: "Kokomo"  Shrug

I know right?! I actually like the hits but I have tried showing people how artistic they were. It's hard to get around the fact that this band from 66-73 was pretty much the same group of guys on Full House! I think they presented themselves much better in 2012. Also, Love and Mercy gave people a new idea, though the movie wasn't a big hit.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2017, 02:36:38 AM »

The Beach Boys and Pink Floyd? i think so yes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pjKTCDZvco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHxa9YqmVI0
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2017, 03:19:40 PM »

Always, if you play less known or songs that never made the radio the reaction is funny.  'Thats the beach boys?'

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
KDS
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2017, 05:00:58 PM »

Steamboat and Leaving This Town would each fit on early 70s Floyd albums.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2017, 09:41:15 AM »

Steamboat and Leaving This Town would each fit on early 70s Floyd albums.

Totally! I might throw in Feel Flows, A Day in the Life of a Tree and Long Promised Road as well

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx