gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:34:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you play Beach Boys albums when there are visitors?  (Read 10428 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2017, 10:28:21 AM »

This has always been a bit of a dilemma for me. There are, of course, people who snigger at the very mention of the name Beach Boys. And Brian's falsetto has drawn laughter from guests in the past, "Hawaii" being the main offender.

Hit compilations misrepresent the Boys in my opinion (and there's also the there-he-goes-again-with-his-Beach-Boys factor) and official albums are full of stuff that tends to raise eyebrows (and/or stop conversations).

Oddly, the only albums I play without fear (perhaps because they're blander in some way?) are TWGMTR and NPP (sans "The Last Song" and bonus tracks).

Does any of this ring a bell with anyone?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 10:30:15 AM »

I had a bad experience a few years ago where words were exchanged over me playing the BBs so I have a phobia now... Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 10:38:02 AM »

I had a bad experience a few years ago where words were exchanged over me playing the BBs so I have a phobia now... Undecided

Eek! You mean in a relationship... I can imagine that could be a problem, SB.

On that subject: I remember blithely putting on some Messiaen when my mother came to visit many years ago----now that was a mistake! Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRyn-gRp_p0

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 10:50:02 AM »

Nah JK, just a drunk as hell friend who I told to get out! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 11:21:14 AM »

I make sure to play Summer in Paradise when I want lingering party guests to leave  LOL
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 11:22:19 AM »

Or "go now" by the moody blues! LOL

Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 01:18:32 PM »

I usually play compilations that include Beach Boys songs, and I once played POB.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 01:27:49 PM »

I usually play compilations that include Beach Boys songs, and I once played POB.

S, am I right in recalling that your sister's not exactly a fan? :-|

KDS
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 01:38:31 PM »

I used to play Sounds of Summer when I used to host summer get togethers. I also played the In Concert album once. In general, it went over pretty well.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 02:16:41 PM »

I would play Pet Sounds and insist guests sat in silence and listened to it. If they spoke I would forcibly eject them from the premises.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 02:47:06 PM »

I was playing Pet Sounds for a friend and the player was on random.  The first song it played was IJWMFTT.  When the "sometimes I feel very sad" part started repeating, she cried,  "shut this off, it is very depressing!".  Hmm, now that you mention it....
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 03:46:35 PM »

The early stuff bugs people, but I get away with CATP and Holland, which people usually think is some modern indie band  LOL
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 04:39:09 PM »

The early stuff bugs people, but I get away with CATP and Holland, which people usually think is some modern indie band  LOL

Yes, I was going to say this. Play those two albums, and it's fun when people ask what band is playing.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 08:45:20 PM »

i never get visitors.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 09:09:08 PM »

As time has gone forward, my primary guests are mote and more my family. I often play music, once in awhile it is Brian/Beach Boys. Smiley

If it runs amuck, call the duck
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 12:02:35 AM »

Sometimes I invite my dwarf friend Daiana. She's into heavy metal, doesn't like mellow music. But what do you know, she liked "Sloop John B", esp. the main riff.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 01:37:15 AM »

I have a feeling there are a lot of people out there that keep quiet about being a Beach Boys fan.  Some crazy stigma possibly but I wear it proudly on my sleeve everyday!  Cool
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 01:37:51 AM by Bedroom Tapes » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 03:39:06 AM »

i never get visitors.
Me, either Undecided
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 04:03:31 AM »

If you play any of the music after 1966, the average person may recognize some of it, but still not associate it with the Beach Boys. I have no problem blasting all kinds of stuff - Beach Boys included - through the Big Blue Party speaker we got at Brookstone. In fact, I always slip in some Beach Boys stuff into the playlist. My friends and family of expect it, and I don't want to let them down.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 04:06:31 AM »

I would play Pet Sounds and insist guests sat in silence and listened to it. If they spoke I would forcibly eject them from the premises.

Haha. But it's a good point. It's an insult to this great music when people talk during it. So maybe it's why I would never play PS when there's company.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 04:14:05 AM »

i'm a loner. and getting old. and nobody here has the same interests.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2017, 04:15:30 AM »

You guys are quite close geographically. That might be the answer. :=)

Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2017, 04:49:31 AM »

With visitors, cant say I do. Probably has more to do with that most times I have people over its for a sporting event on TV or just an informal thing so no music goes on the stereo.

Most of my friends don't get the artistic value of the band. Ive put on BB in the truck for some friends here and there when we were going somewhere and just I got a look that pretty much said WTF.. But others who know music beyond what is on  top 40 radio / classic rock station playlists are able to discern between the surf/car era and PS-Smile era. Once I posted Al's solo from 'I get around' on Facebook that was on my phone from a Brian concert I went to and my sister-in-law (jokingly) told me I couldn't hang out with them anymore.

It is a darn shame that most associate the BB with only the early surf/car songs and not some of the more artistic efforts from Pet Sounds thru Holland.

But my wife likes them ( God only know is one of her favorite songs of all time) and my kids love the Beach Boys.  I burned a CD that pretty much consists of the whole PS album and various other songs for my 6 yr old son and he falls asleep to it most nights.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:58:37 AM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 05:02:07 AM »

You guys are quite close geographically. That might be the answer. :=)

hmmm would be good. not quite in walking distance for me  Tongue
Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 05:23:08 AM »

S, am I right in recalling that your sister's not exactly a fan? :-|

Exactly! But she also hated me when I played Queen and now she loves them, so maybe it's just a matter of time. Anyway, unbeknownst to her I sing BB songs to her baby daughter.  Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx