gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:01:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love You: Was It the Last Great Album of BB?  (Read 44347 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: June 06, 2017, 02:21:18 PM »

IMO, the last great BB album is Holland.  I've tried to listen many times, but I don't get the infatuation with Love You.

Neither do I.  It could be that following along in order...like being there LIVE as each new album was released...is different than picking them up on the fly, out of context with history and with what was actually happening before, during, and after each new album first stuck its nose up in the air to be counted.  After the fact 'discovery' takes no consideration into account of what else was occurring at THAT SPECIFIC TIME musically speaking either.

That said...in real time...I thought that Love You just sucked.  If Wild Honey was a back to the basics rebirth...Love You was John Thompson's 'Teaching Little Fingers to Play'.  What a horror show of simple basic downgrades in talent...musically and particularly lyrically.  This was an album which eased Brian back into the picture after the failed Brian's Back farce which falsely propelled 15 Bigguns onto the 'scene'.  The 'Boys' had NOTHING here to work with.  Crap songs almost w/o exception.

Love You has somehow become the most over-rated Beach Boys album ever released.  It sure as sh*t wasn't that way back during its infancy.  Back then almost everyone KNEW that it was just dung.

The last great album was Holland with special mention of the Live In Concert album which immediately followed.  Not until TWGMTR would there be another Beach Boys album released which had enough decent material on it to deserve more than 1 thumb up.  [and THAT's a stretch.]

Love You?  Sounds more like "f*** You" to me.

[and all THIS from a so-called Brianista?  You bet your ass.  CRAP... ... ...is CRAP.]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:27:07 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
KDS
« Reply #226 on: June 06, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »

IMO, the last great BB album is Holland.  I've tried to listen many times, but I don't get the infatuation with Love You.

Neither do I.  It could be that following along in order...like being there LIVE as each new album was released...is different than picking them up on the fly, out of context with history and with what was actually happening before, during, and after each new album first stuck its nose up in the air to be counted.  After the fact 'discovery' takes no consideration into account of what else was occurring at THAT SPECIFIC TIME musically speaking either.

That said...in real time...I thought that Love You just sucked.  If Wild Honey was a back to the basics rebirth...Love You was John Thompson's 'Teaching Little Fingers to Play'.  What a horror show of simple basic downgrades in talent...musically and particularly lyrically.  This was an album which eased Brian back into the picture after the failed Brian's Back farce which falsely propelled 15 Bigguns onto the 'scene'.  The 'Boys' had NOTHING here to work with.  Crap songs almost w/o exception.

Love You has somehow become the most over-rated Beach Boys album ever released.  It sure as sh*t wasn't that way back during its infancy.  Back then almost everyone KNEW that it was just dung.

The last great album was Holland with special mention of the Live In Concert album which immediately followed.  Not until TWGMTR would there be another Beach Boys album released which had enough decent material on it to deserve more than 1 thumb up.  [and THAT's a stretch.]

Love You?  Sounds more like "f*** You" to me.

[and all THIS from a so-called Brianista?  You bet your ass.  CRAP... ... ...is CRAP.]

I used to at least thing that Love You was an improvement over 15BO.  But, after a recemt listen, I no longer think so.

15 Big Ones may feature lesser versions of great songs, but at least they're still great songs. 

Even Brian, who has in the past called Love You his favorite BB album, rarely plays cuts from it.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 07, 2017, 05:43:34 AM »

Believe it or not, Holland is one of the albums that is treated VERY poorly in Japan. They criticize it as if the album were crap.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: June 07, 2017, 08:50:00 AM »

Look Watamushi...I 'G E T' that some folks are going to like and even LOVE' Love You'.  I'm happy for them.  THEY are right.  100% right.  If they like it...IT'S a good/great album... ... ...for them.  Not a problem.  I'm dead wrong about it in their eyes/ears.  Fine.  OK.  I'm not looking to start a fight by any means.  But the Beach Boys have 27 studio albums I like better.  A LOT better.  Only things worse than Love You?  Smiley Smile [by and large because it was such a bitter disappointment] and that gawd awful Summer in Pair of Dice waste of vinyl.

Vice-versa for Holland.  That said.  I got Holland and appreciated it LARGE when it was released...as I had with ALL of their previous albums [except for Smiley Smile].  I have tried and tried and TRIED to enjoy Love You.  I bought it on vinyl the first chance I had after it was released.  AND I have it on cd as well.  I didn't give up on it.  Honestly.   I've listened to it a LOT of times and I have found 2 or 3 songs on it which I can actually almost barely stand...and appreciate at least a little bit.  But, all in all, I just don't hear it and no amount of chit-chat about it can change what's coming out of the speakers.  For *ME*...for *MY* tastes...it just doesn't measure up.  I agree yet again with KDS...it isn't even as good as 15 [so-called] 'bigguns' and that, in and of itself, is a real vote of non-confidence.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:36:46 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 08, 2017, 12:05:26 AM »

Holland is the last truly great BB's album. I think LA came close - if the single version of HCTN had been on the album instead of the 10 minute monstrosity, it would be a much better album. Add on It's a Beautiful Day and maybe one other track. I like BB85, it's very enjoyable, but not great.
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 08, 2017, 01:31:50 AM »

I also don't like Love You as much as some, I think some of the songs are great, I'll Bet He's Nice and The Night Was So Young and Let Us Go On This Way, the rest I don't think are that great. One thing that annoys me about this time is that MIU is ridiculed and so is  the song Hey Little Tomboy from that album, but Hey Little Tomboy is from the Love You sessions and I have a hunch that if Hey Little Tomboy was on Love You it would have been treated differently same with My Diane, that is a great song but I think people would go nuts for it in reviews if it was on Love You. many times it comes down to a particular album for another example, the LA Light Album is also bagged but usually only for Here Comes The Night, many forget that it still has 4 of 5 really strong cuts on it   So in saying all of this I think if Say, Johnny Carson was left off Love You and appeared on MIU it would have been absolutely torn to shreds by critics.  But was Love You the last great BB album, no I don't think it's a great album at all. I think it's ok. The last GREAT Beach Boys Album I think was Holland, the last good Beach Boys Album was LA
ThreeCats
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 08, 2017, 09:07:33 PM »

Many Love You fans criticize Rollerskating Child for its lyrics, so I think if Hey Little Tomboy appeared on the album it would have gotten the same treatment.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 09, 2017, 06:50:41 AM »

HLT would get criticized for its lyrics (and deservedly so), no matter what album it appeared on.

As for the topic in question, I don't think that Love You is anywhere near a great album in the first place. I know a lot of folks here like it, but I just don't share their enthusiasm. Your mileage may vary and that's OK with me if it does.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 10:00:54 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 14, 2017, 04:43:53 AM »

To make a potentially very long story as short as possible...

Yes, Love You was the last truly great album from the Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 04:46:04 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 14, 2017, 05:43:57 AM »

Yes, IT WAS HIS LAST GREAT ALBUM, But if we donīt count the last three songs of Still Cruisin...
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 22, 2017, 07:45:57 AM »

I just want to find the live video of Roller Skating Child with Brian rocking out on bass. Youtube took it down. I used to laugh my ass off at that about once a week.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx