gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:54:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love You: Was It the Last Great Album of BB?  (Read 44371 times)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 13, 2017, 08:43:49 AM »

getting back to IWTPYU: I LOVE THIS SONG!!!

Airplane is another sweet song but one of Mike Love's worst vocals, which is really saying something.
Brian sounds great, and I love the little rev-up at the end with Carl's grunting rocker voice.
but damn Mike sounds awful.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:05:13 AM by bossaroo » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 13, 2017, 04:40:09 PM »

getting back to IWTPYU: I LOVE THIS SONG!!!
From the beginning when I finished listening to this album initially, I decided this was my absolute favorite. After 5 years, I still think that way. It's beautiiful, endearing, cute, adorable - I can say many good things. Esp. with 2nd verse kicking in, there is this little short melody which I like very-very much.  lyrics very cute but even if it's creepy, so what? It's fictional story anyway, not our problem what the fictional girl goes thru. Who cares? Dennis & Brian's voice isn't in best shape but am enchanted with music to be nitpicky about imperfect vocs. I simply adore the song.

Re: "Airplane" - agree, Mike's voice is bugsome here, a bit nasal. Brian's falsetto is funny, he adds humor. I really doubt the lyrics is about smb. specific. It's just observation from Brian, what he thinks towards flying, airplanes, that people waiting in terminal/ sitting in plane chat with strangers being bored etc. Melody/ arrangement nice. Isn't big fave.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 14, 2017, 06:19:15 AM »

I think Mike's voice sounds fine here. I like the softer voice he uses on some songs like this. The ending call and return vocals are great. Is that Carl & Brian?
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 14, 2017, 07:48:32 AM »

The ending call and return vocals are great. Is that Carl & Brian?

Yes.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2017, 07:23:21 AM »

The Fifteenth Discussion
Theme: All Things 'Love is A Woman'
Main Question: Is this an embarrassing closer for the album as many people say?

No. Big NO. I think the fact that Love is A Woman doesn't sound like a 'usual' Beach Boys song makes it the most criticized song on the album.

Brian's vocals is not brilliant but heart-warming, and the song is filled with that Oldies But Goodies vibe. I really dig this song, and I honestly think this is the best choice for this album as a closer. Surely Embarrassing, but being embarrassing doesn't mean that the song isn't good, just as thinking about how many 'embarrassing' song by Brian are great. [ex. Busy Doin' Nothin', My Diane, Johnny Carson, to name a few.)

Now, what are your thoughts on this song? Do you find this song not good as many people say, or you think it's a good song? Looking forward to seeing them.

P. S. PSF poster Monolithic posted Brian's comment at that time on some Love You tracks:

In this article, Brian said that Love is a Woman is 'just about everybody, about everything'. Very much sounds like Brian himself did consider it as a throwaway.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2017, 07:56:45 AM »

Agree, it isn't embarrassing. Wouldn't say it's big favorite but it's nice. I like Al's "1,2,3..." & Brian's enthusiastic vocal. Some arrangement choices annoy.
EDIT: Before reviewing songs usually play them in mind - forgot that Mike sang it Tongue. I just remembered the bit where Brian sings the title/ refrain. Well then, with Mike's vocal, it gets low rank. From 6.5/10 to 3.5/10.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 05:19:51 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: May 20, 2017, 07:48:12 PM »

I'd agree that while Love is a Woman is definitely the worst track off of Love You, being the worst track off of (IMO) one of the Beach Boys' greatest albums is certainly nothing to be worked up about. Brian's "rough" voice never bugged me on this track, or the album as a matter of fact, though I always imagine what kind of better reception album could have possibly found, had he still had his 70-71 era voice.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 20, 2017, 09:34:02 PM »

I'd agree that while Love is a Woman is definitely the worst track off of Love You, being the worst track off of (IMO) one of the Beach Boys' greatest albums is certainly nothing to be worked up about. Brian's "rough" voice never bugged me on this track, or the album as a matter of fact, though I always imagine what kind of better reception album could have possibly found, had he still had his 70-71 era voice.

I also think it's the worst song on the album.

But... it doesn't bug me as much since it's last, and doesn't interrupt any sort of flow. If I want to skip it, the album just ends slightly early. That said... I think this song has grown on me a bit over the years.

I'll have to listen to it later to find a timecode, but one of the most interesting or unusual things about this tune is that Mike slightly laughs during one of his sung lines. I only recently noticed it. Kinda cool and bizarre that Brian kept that in. There are other laughs audible in other BB songs (like the SS Wonderful, and of course Punchline), but I am pretty sure this is the latest and last example of a BB audibly laughing on a released recording.

Lastly, serious question: could the title and lyric LIAW be a joking dig making fun of the actual Love in the band?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 20, 2017, 10:13:03 PM »

The tracks as rated by me:

Side A
1. Let Us Go - 6/10
2. Roller Skating - 5.5/10
3. Mona - 1.5/10
4. Johnny Carson - 6.5/10
5. Good Time - 8/10
6. Honkin' Down The Highway - 10/10
7. Ding Dang - 0.5/10

Side B
1. Solar System - 8/10
2. The Night Was - 1/10
3. I'll Bet - 7/10
4. Let's Put - 7/10
5. I Wanna Pick You Up - 10/10
6. Airplane - 6/10
7. LIAW - 3.5/10

As can be seen, what do I think THE nadir of the album is 2 songs - DD & TNWSY. Not LIAW but it's Bottom 5, surely.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:15:32 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 21, 2017, 12:10:08 AM »

not sure why people dislike LIAW so much, or find it so embarrassing.
I think it boils down to the line "tell her she smells good tonight" which is actually great advice. try it sometime.

Mike's vocal definitely brings the song down a few notches, but I LOVE the title's double meaning!  LOL 
and Brian said Love Is A Baby would have made an even better title!  LOL LOL LOL
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2017, 08:55:17 PM »

The Sixteenth Discussion
Theme: Vocals
Main Question: Are the vocals here as good as their vocals before?

No. It's no contest compared to 1960s, or Sunflower-Holland era. Totally slight improvement over 15 Big Ones vocally, but it doesn't mean their vocals got better- they were just 'used' in a better way.

As for Brian's voice, it's as awful as 15 Big Ones, but it still has its charm. His voice would get a big improvement after this record, but the fact that the voice last too long is a pity.
As many people say, his vocals sound awful especially on faster songs on side 1, like the coda of Roller Skating Child. On the other hand, his backing vocal gives a good effect to the song on Honkin' Down the Highway. It stresses Al's much stronger lead vocal.

As for Carl's voice,  comparing to his disappointing vocals on Palisades Park, it improved so well. His vocals on The Night is amazing. Others are not so much, but still sound good to me.

Dennis's vocals are as bad as Brian. On Mona, his lead vocal is not so much different from Brian's voice at that time. He did pretty well on I Wanna Pick You Up, though.

Possibly the best vocals here is by Mike- on Airplane, his usual, nasal vocals work so well. Just brilliant.

Al too did decent work here. His vocals on Honkin' Down the Highway is remarkable.

Now, what do you think about their vocals on Love You? Looking forward to seeing your interesting opinions on them.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 30, 2017, 03:47:51 AM »

The Seventeenth Discussion
Theme: Production
Main Question: Do you think Brian did his best at that time for the album?

Yes, exactly he did. It's not the best in the entire career, but he did so well considering how the time was cruel to him then. The oddness and beauty of the production is one of the reason why people love the album.

Now, what do you think about the production on this album? Do you think it's good enough? Looking forward to seeing your interesting opinions.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 03, 2017, 06:38:45 AM »

Sorry for saying, but I'll close this thread because no one seems to be attending anymore. This is my fault, I'll work hard to make more interesting thread to discuss on than this one.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 03, 2017, 07:19:54 AM »

Sorry for saying, but I'll close this thread because no one seems to be attending anymore. This is my fault, I'll work hard to make more interesting thread to discuss on than this one.

Speaking personally, PP, there really is nothing I can say about the production. And you really seem to have answered your own question. Maybe that's why no one joined in. Maybe you have to ask the question and give your opinion at the end of the session rather than at the beginning. Just an idea----because these topics of yours are interesting! :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 03, 2017, 02:24:56 PM »

I had never heard the album until you guys mentioned it in this forum.  As a kid, i learned about the beach boys because my  babysitter had Shutdown vol2,  then  Smiley Smile was out, so I remembering going to kmart (that will be gone soon) to get Smiley Smile. hey why not just jump right in to strange? Smiley  I think I had a few of their early albums, then I turned to Harder Rock
and forgot about them.  Then my friends big brother had the 2fer  Pet sounds/ carl  and the passions.   we thought, who is this?  Took us awhile to figure out it was the beach boys. Smiley   So,
Did I bought CATP for myself, still love it with all its flaws, and had Sunflower, Surfs up, Holland,  then stopped at 15 big ones, less creative.  So I've not listened to most of their later output.

Ok, so reading on the forum about Love You.  I thought, yea, great, another "treadmill" album, but heck I will give it a listen.  I really like it -- it was "different".  I think it stands out as
different like Smiley Smile and Carl And the Passions.   Some of the songs as said here are weak, but they are  interesting.  They sound like they are tired, like they are toasted from the past
drugs, drinking and business stress and personal stress, so that makes it even more interesting.  Drums? lol.   No Hal Blaine here!    I do think its kinda unique for various reasons.
So I guess this is not "RE-appreciaion". its "appreciation". Smiley

The other Jay
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 03, 2017, 06:30:09 PM »

Speaking personally, PP, there really is nothing I can say about the production. And you really seem to have answered your own question. Maybe that's why no one joined in. Maybe you have to ask the question and give your opinion at the end of the session rather than at the beginning. Just an idea----because these topics of yours are interesting! :=)
Thanks for kind word! I'll go by your advice on the next thread I'll make (maybe 'discuss every Sunshine Tomorrow track' thread Cheesy)

Now I'm feeling a little odd not to do 'conclusion' discussion on here... wait and see....
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 03, 2017, 06:33:01 PM »

Now I open this thread again Grin
Here's the last discussion:
Theme:Conclusion   
Question: Was 'Love You' the last great album from the Beach Boys?

In my opinion, Yes and No.

Yes, I think it was the last time the group provided great music as a whole album. However, M.I.U. is as enjoyable and decent as this album in my book, so there's also no.

Brian's greatness on Love You still definitely remains on M.I.U. His Love You-ism can be obviously recognized on songs like Hey Little Tomboy, My Diane, Pittar Patter, Matchpoint of Our Love. At the time when they recorded M.I.U, Brian still was a great, progressive enough songwriter and a provider of great music, as he was in 15 Big Ones/Love You/Adult Child era, and he is onward 1988.

Now, do you think Love You is the last great album for the band? Look forward to seeing your interesting opinions.

(...You know I've always been just copying what I had wrote at PSF to this thread. That's because I had no time to re-write, but sorry for that.
ThreeCats
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 03, 2017, 10:21:24 PM »

I do think it was the last great Beach Boys album. Every album since Love You hasn't had enough great-to-good songs for me to consider them even just good albums, let alone great.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: June 04, 2017, 12:20:12 AM »

The last great BB's album could have been LA (Light Album) if it weren't for "Here Comes the Night". TWGMTR certainly has its moments (particularly the second half), but there are a few songs ("Shelter", "Beaches in Mind") that I've never even bothered with. So yes, I believe that Love You is the last "great" album by The Beach Boys.

Thanks for the great thread BTW, I had fun participating in it when I could!  Smiley

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 04, 2017, 12:52:47 AM »

This thread was a bit long sometimes.  But I enjoyed it.  Thank you for your efforts.

Yes, I think it was their last great album.  Their following .... 6? or 7? (do you count Still Cruisin'?) albums have inconsistent subject matter and direction, have maybe 1 or 2 great moments apiece, and lack cohesion.  A "great" album needs more of each of these, and the only one I think could be argued as a "great" album since LY is TWGMTR.  Though I don't believe I would make that argument myself.

If Brian's creative path would have been able to be indulged so that Adult/Child was released, I don't think that would have been a "great" album.  However it would have put him on an alternate path, in which I think we would have seen more "great" albums. 
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 04, 2017, 05:16:11 AM »

I wouldn't call LY "great", but what I would say is that is the last of the band's major works. I mean, MIU is fine, but it's not essential. LY is essential.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 04, 2017, 05:22:25 AM »

I'll say yes as well.

Under other circumstances, I'd give the excellent TWGMTR that distinction. But it's their goodbye album, their studio swan song, so in my jaded opinion it has a place all of its own in (or rather outside) their canon.

So yes----Love You was the last Great Album of BB.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #222 on: June 04, 2017, 11:38:17 AM »

IMO, the last great BB album is Holland.  I've tried to listen many times, but I dont get the infatuation with Love You.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 05, 2017, 06:13:07 AM »

Brilliant album, I never get tired of it. I too think it's their last great one but several good (if somewhat flawed ones) still came afterwards (L.A. Light, BB85, TWGMTR). I agree that LY is not a 'mature' record. The lyrics seem spontaneous and sometimes even sloppy, as do the vocal performances. The synth stuff is very unusual. I love it all!
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 06, 2017, 01:55:25 PM »

No, but it was the last good one.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx