gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:21:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love You: Was It the Last Great Album of BB?  (Read 44346 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2017, 03:58:18 AM »

So here's this song, Ding Dong, Ding Dang, Ding Dong, Ding Dang.......

The Eighth Discussion
Theme: All Things 'Ding Dang'
Main Question: Was this jam waste of talents of both Brian and Roger?

I love it and I strongly disagree the opinion that this is waste of talents. It's good enough to make a cut on this album.

But I always wonder... how great it could be if Brian and Roger have got together to make steadier kind of music...how great it could be....?

Now, you can discuss anything about Ding Dang. What do you think about this song? I'm looking forward to seeing your interesting opinions.

Video: https://youtu.be/Nw3JBwfJP-s
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:58:57 AM by Watamushi » Logged
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2017, 04:34:08 AM »

I think it is a fun track.  It made me smile when he played a snippet of this song on QVC promoting one of his solo records, and then turned to the host and said, "Isn't that Great?"  It was obvious the host had no idea what the song was.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2017, 05:00:31 AM »

The epitome of short and sweet!

And please, no steadier collaboration between Jim/Roger and Brian. This is a great one-off and that's the way it should stay. ;=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2017, 10:50:04 AM »

I love me some Ding Dang.

Is it possible that the "Ding Dong" lyric is a reference/homage to the Hostess chocolate treat of the same name? Serious question! Brian was snarfing down lots of junk food during this time, after all. I'm sure that included Hostess Ding Dongs.

I cannot imagine the baffled looks on peoples' faces when they first heard this song in '77.

I kinda wish they'd included a longer version of the track on the album though.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:50:56 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2017, 03:34:55 PM »

Not. Long. ENOUGH!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2017, 03:47:33 PM »

Best BBs track since surf's up! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2017, 05:43:30 PM »

Waste of talents? Not on your life. I love it. Fits so beautifully on this album. Sure, coulda been longer, but I always had a love for those little snippet tracks the band put out post-Pet Sounds.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2017, 06:12:49 PM »

Smb. years ago laughed it took few people to write DD. I'm glad it's short, as it should. Boring repetitious pointlessly shouty dreck with bad Mike-Carl-everybody vocals.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2017, 06:23:04 PM »

Brian's favorite Love You track, and one he said was part of a bigger plan that never really went anywhere (like the plan to include "A Casual Look" in the Fairy Tale in Holland).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2017, 07:32:48 PM »

Serendipity that I see a Ding Dangy license plate today right after reading this thread.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2017, 03:31:38 AM »

Brian's favorite Love You track, and one he said was part of a bigger plan that never really went anywhere (like the plan to include "A Casual Look" in the Fairy Tale in Holland).
That coulda happened? I can't imagine A Casual Look in Mt. Vernon EP. Would the version have been the same as one on 15 Big Ones? I know nobody knows, but I'm curious.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2017, 03:36:37 AM »

Smb. years ago laughed it took few people to write DD. I'm glad it's short, as it should. Boring repetitious pointlessly shouty dreck with bad Mike-Carl-everybody vocals.
Since I love the track, I disagree with your opinion as a whole, but you're probobly right to think it SHOULD be short as it is.
If it's longer, it could've been either a repetitive crap or a gem that you CAN'T imagine from the present version, but I'm sure it would've been the latter.
Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2017, 05:21:09 AM »

"Ding Dang" is great. I suppose it could technically be considered a waste of talents, as both songwriters were capable of writing more advanced music... but it's fun and catchy and doesn't need to be anything more than it is. Except it could be longer. I'd listen to it on a loop. The vocals are so passionate for such a silly-sounding song.  Grin

I'm glad that they replaced Billy's vocals with Al's, but they definitely should have kept the synth solo from the earlier version. It adds a nice twist of flavor to the track!
I missed out on the previous discussion and just wanted to comment my agreement with this! The solo is my favorite part of that version. Glad they replaced the vocals, the original recording sounded more generic in terms of vocals.

Late at night, I think about the love of this whole world...
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2017, 06:11:52 AM »

That coulda happened? I can't imagine A Casual Look in Mt. Vernon EP. Would the version have been the same as one on 15 Big Ones? I know nobody knows, but I'm curious.

I thought I read that he had an idea once to make Mt. Vernon into a somewhat cover album. 

Ding Dang is such a great way to play off Side A of the record.  One of his last great ideas in the Beach Boys.  (and before you think that's a rip, he has had plenty of great ideas since then outside of the BB realm)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2017, 06:48:37 AM »

I thought I read that he had an idea once to make Mt. Vernon into a somewhat cover album. 

Ding Dang is such a great way to play off Side A of the record.  One of his last great ideas in the Beach Boys.  (and before you think that's a rip, he has had plenty of great ideas since then outside of the BB realm)
So it was possible that his 'cover songs' idea on Holland EP later became the idea of 15 Big Ones as an cover album.
Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2017, 08:29:38 AM »

I don't think it's a bad Carl vocal. He didn't have much to work with and yet he sings his heart out.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2017, 05:07:07 AM »

The Ninth Discussion
Theme: All Things 'Solar System'
Main Question: Would this song, or any on the album, have worked better as instrumentals?

It's got interesting lyrics and quite awful but charming lead vocal by Brian, if there weren't them, this song would be the most forgettable song on the album.
Sure, Brian at this time could've made some good instrumentals, but not for this one.
I think this song don't have to be here. It should've been Side 1 in exchange of more up-beat songs. Kicking off an side with The Night Was So Young would been much cooler to me.

Now, you can discuss anything about Solar System. What do you think about this song? I'm curious.

Video: https://youtu.be/abLyJndlODA
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2017, 05:37:03 AM »

"Solar System" is cool with voice. Without, it would be nice background music to complement doc about Solar System, maybe? It's got interesting chords, great use of synths (unlike RSC, DD & TNWSY with annoying riffs). It could benefit from being tiny bit faster. But at the same time, it's right as is. I like it less now due to frequent listens.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2017, 06:03:20 AM »

I like it. You can waltz to it. Those strange clanging synth sounds in the chorus go well with the extraterrestrial lyrics.

The middle falls flat somewhat, although the "star light, star bright" bit cross-references the relevant passage in The Honey's version of "This Whole World". So even this has a redeeming feature.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2017, 08:44:21 AM »

Closest Brian ever came to Chagall. Filled with a child-like sense of wonder.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2017, 04:54:16 PM »

I love the song but it occurs to me the entire thing could have been written just to feature that one standout lyric:

If Mars had life on it, I might find my wife on it

now that's a GREAT line!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2017, 02:37:53 AM »

Closest Brian ever came to Chagall. Filled with a child-like sense of wonder.

Now that's a wonderful thought!   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Chagall

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2017, 08:47:58 AM »

"Solar System" is cool with voice. Without, it would be nice background music to complement doc about Solar System, maybe? It's got interesting chords, great use of synths (unlike RSC, DD & TNWSY with annoying riffs). It could benefit from being tiny bit faster. But at the same time, it's right as is. I like it less now due to frequent listens.
I don't think there are any synths on TNWSY. I hear keyboards and guitar, and I think that's it. Maybe somebody could correct me.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2017, 08:53:13 AM »

I find the Solar System lyrics hilarious, and they well fit the zany feel of the album. They sound like a grade-school kid bluffing his way through a book report to the class by trying to somehow get in a mention of each planet. The 'Mars' lyric is definitely the highlight.    Smiley

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2017, 10:12:12 AM »

I don't think there are any synths on TNWSY. I hear keyboards and guitar, and I think that's it. Maybe somebody could correct me.

It's possible RR means "I'll Bet He's Nice", one of the best uses of the synth in the entire history of the synth.   

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx