gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:51:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love You: Was It the Last Great Album of BB?  (Read 44341 times)
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2017, 10:48:29 AM »

yeah from what I've heard of My Solution it wouldn't be out-of-place on the Love You album, if indeed it was absolutely necessary to revive and include a dated recording at all.  In other word(s) - 'Why'?

When Love You first came out I viewed Good Time as a certified beach boys gyp, because I'd already heard the song a lot on the Spring L.P. which I bought in 1973.  There was absolutely no need for Brian or the group as a whole to pass it off as a Beach Boys recording later in life because A) their version doesn't add anything substantial to it (that it was actually recorded for Sunflower winds up being irrelevant), and B) the song is a neat little curiousity and doesn't merit repeating since the Spring version gave it all anybody could have IMO.  I imagine the song was resurrected because the Spring L.P. hardly sold at all and the group therefore thought the tune had been 'wasted' and so not familiar enough to the public

jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »

I LOVE "Good Time", but I always disliked its placement on Love You. It fits a whole lot better on my expanded Add Some Music alternate album, while Brian's cover of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" takes its place.

IF another vintage song had to take its place though, I'd have to choose either "My Solution" or "Silly Walls".

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2017, 01:48:57 PM »

When Love You first came out I viewed Good Time as a certified beach boys gyp, because I'd already heard the song a lot on the Spring L.P. which I bought in 1973.  There was absolutely no need for Brian or the group as a whole to pass it off as a Beach Boys recording later in life because A) their version doesn't add anything substantial to it (that it was actually recorded for Sunflower winds up being irrelevant), and B) the song is a neat little curiousity and doesn't merit repeating since the Spring version gave it all anybody could have IMO.  I imagine the song was resurrected because the Spring L.P. hardly sold at all and the group therefore thought the tune had been 'wasted' and so not familiar enough to the public

That's interesting. I always wondered, in the pre-internet days, in particular right at the time of Love You's release in 1977,  how many people who bought Love You had heard Good Time before?

Like you said, American Spring's album didn't sell well at all (how many copies, I wonder?)... but you were one of them, I guess! Did you purchase the Spring album new at a major record store? Was it in the regular bins?
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2017, 02:39:51 PM »

yeah from what I've heard of My Solution it wouldn't be out-of-place on the Love You album

Disagree. I've heard the entire track and it's just a goofy novelty. It's unreleased for good reason.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2017, 03:19:27 PM »

yeah from what I've heard of My Solution it wouldn't be out-of-place on the Love You album

Disagree. I've heard the entire track and it's just a goofy novelty. It's unreleased for good reason.

I completely agree with this statement. That said, if it was gonna go on an actual BB album, this would be the only one it could remotely fit onto.

Just imagine if it was thrown on BB85!  LOL
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2017, 07:13:40 AM »

"Did you purchase the Spring album new at a major record store? Was it in the regular bins?"

yes I recall thumbing through the bins (probably new release) at a major metropolitan store and seeing the Spring LP in '72 (no not '73 that'd be too late IIRC), but it took a minute for me to realize just what it was.  I played it for friends then but the screwy moment of vocal harmony on Good Time ("you know what that can lead to") there usually drew guffaws from them (yes time to get new friends).  I liked Sweet Mountain a lot and thought Everybody had a neat beat of the type Brian's good at, but could've completely done without Superstar
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2017, 08:56:25 AM »

None of the outtakes from that period work for me. 'Good Time' doesn't entirely fit on the album, sound-wise, but it fits better than a lot of those other circa 1970 tunes. And anyway, the first time I listened to Love You I thought 'Good Time' was weird but enjoyable just like every other song on the album, despite Brian's obvious earlier vocal and the production. Certainly not my favorite song on the album but I like it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:58:23 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2017, 01:29:23 PM »

I've said this before, but if i could ask just for ONE THING in an alternative reality, it would be for Good Time to be on Sunflower instead of stuff like Tears In The Morning (puke) and have My Diane on Love You instead of Good Time
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2017, 01:38:53 PM »

I've said this before, but if i could ask just for ONE THING in an alternative reality, it would be for Good Time to be on Sunflower instead of stuff like Tears In The Morning (puke) and have My Diane on Love You instead of Good Time

I'm with ya on that, but then if you take My Diane off from MIU, then MIU *really* suffers from having a lack of quality songs with an emotional punch.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2017, 01:40:08 PM »

They should have kept the guitar intro.

What guitar intro are you talking about? (You were referring to Johnny Carson in that post, I'm assuming?)

Is there a booted alternate version that I'm not aware of?
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2017, 02:46:42 PM »

I'm with ya on that, but then if you take My Diane off from MIU, then MIU *really* suffers from having a lack of quality songs with an emotional punch.

Hahaha yeah, that poor album doesn't have much for itself to justify its existence other than the great Sweet Sunday Kind Of Love.
Forrest Gump
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2017, 02:49:06 PM »

What guitar intro are you talking about? (You were referring to Johnny Carson in that post, I'm assuming?)

Yeah, the intro to Johnny Carson. After the intro Brian counts to four and the song starts like on the album. On the 3 cd Brother Rarities cd's.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2017, 03:32:02 PM »

Yeah, the intro to Johnny Carson. After the intro Brian counts to four and the song starts like on the album. On the 3 cd Brother Rarities cd's.

Thanks, will have to seek that out!

Going back to Johnny Carson for a moment, it never occurred to me until now that *maybe*, Brian was writing about some of his own struggles as a songwriter/bandleader carrying a heavy load through the guise of Carson.

- The line "The network makes him break his back" could easily have a double meaning of "the record company made him break his back (and succeeded)".

- The line "When guests are boring he fills up the slack" could also have a double meaning of "when my bandmates can't fill out an album, they come to me for help, or to repurpose my old material".

- The line "He speaks in such a manly tone" could also be a tongue in cheek reference to how Brian was apparently intentionally trying to sing in a "manly" manner on 15 Big Ones and Love You.

Curious to know what everyone thinks...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:50:37 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2017, 05:38:12 AM »

"Good Time" never struck me as out of place on Love You until I learned it ought to, like how a little kid doesn't cry when he falls down until his mother rushes over to ask if he's OK. Yeah, the vocals were oddly good compared to everything else, but its quirky style seemed about right to me. And while I'd have loved it on Sunflower, I also love it on Love You. It's actually one of my favorite (I mean, not TOP-TIER favorite, but say top 25) Beach Boys songs. I love it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2017, 07:25:43 AM »

Going back to Johnny Carson for a moment, it never occurred to me until now that *maybe*, Brian was writing about some of his own struggles as a songwriter/bandleader carrying a heavy load through the guise of Carson.

- The line "The network makes him break his back" could easily have a double meaning of "the record company made him break his back (and succeeded)".

- The line "When guests are boring he fills up the slack" could also have a double meaning of "when my bandmates can't fill out an album, they come to me for help, or to repurpose my old material".

- The line "He speaks in such a manly tone" could also be a tongue in cheek reference to how Brian was apparently intentionally trying to sing in a "manly" manner on 15 Big Ones and Love You.

A most interesting line of enquiry there, CD. Not sure I can go along with it though... Sorry!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Half Moon Bay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2017, 11:06:55 AM »

Sorry, bit late with this reply but when I bought "Love You" back in 77, I was a new fan and didn't know Good Time was an old track! I thought it was Al singing and I remember thinking at the time I wished the rest of the albums vocals were as good as this!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »

I like it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2017, 02:08:44 PM »

Whether it was his intent, I have no idea. But it definitely works as a way to analyze it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »

"Did you purchase the Spring album new at a major record store? Was it in the regular bins?"

yes I recall thumbing through the bins (probably new release) at a major metropolitan store and seeing the Spring LP in '72 (no not '73 that'd be too late IIRC), but it took a minute for me to realize just what it was.  I played it for friends then but the screwy moment of vocal harmony on Good Time ("you know what that can lead to") there usually drew guffaws from them (yes time to get new friends).  I liked Sweet Mountain a lot and thought Everybody had a neat beat of the type Brian's good at, but could've completely done without Superstar

I also purchased the Spring album at a major record store, ("Where, at the Wherehouse?" for those who've been around long enough to remember those radio spots voiced by Jay Stevens for that Western US chain of record stores), in May '72.

Absolutely love most of the Spring tracks, especially Awake, Sweet Mountain, Thinkin' Bout You Baby, Superstar, This Whole World, and Forever. Good Time is an enjoyable tune as sung by Spring, and I like it far more than the Beach Boys version, in large part because it lacks the dumb lyrics about a skinny girl who "puts her falsies on".  The term "falsies" was quite outdated at at the time since "falsies" had been replaced by padded bras.

On Love You, IMO Good Time sticks out like a sore thumb, mainly because it features a decent vocal from Brian, which makes it all too apparent how much his voice had deteriorated in the span of seven years.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2017, 06:18:07 AM »

Interesting. If it's true, this song is the most important of all on this album in the history of the Beach Boys.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2017, 06:20:46 AM »

The Seventh Discussion
Theme: All Things 'Honkin' Down the highway'
Main Question: Was it a wise decision to change Billy's lead vocal into Al's one?

To answer the question, I think so. Al is definitely better singer, and he did very well on this song. It can even be said that half of the attraction of this song comes from his vocals.

Was it the best choice for the single? I'm not sure. Maybe Let Us Go On This Way and Roller Skating Child both can be better single cut, but this song has its own powerfulness.

Now, you can discuss anything about 'Honkin' Down the Highway'. What do you think about this song? Looking forward to seeing your interesting opinion.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2017, 06:39:01 AM »

Al is definitely better singer, and he did very well on this song. It can even be said that half of the attraction of this song comes from his vocals.
Well said! Billy is nice singer but not the same level as Al & he simply isn't fit for the song - not his style, anything. Al has very distinct speech, you know, as if he took elocution lessons like actors do. That combined with energy & brightness in vocal equals cool. 3D It would be great single - it's got this commercial sound, you know. It's catchy, short, hooks-filled & groovy beat. But really, if it was Billy singing it to that very arrangement, it would be in the duller side. Bottom line: wise decision? Yep.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2017, 05:47:35 AM »

Love the song. Al does an awesome job with the lyrics and providing energy to the song. More quirky lyrics too! Not sure exactly what this is referring to, but it cracks me up every time.

Take it one little inch at a time now
'Til we're feelin' fine now
I guess I've got a way with girls
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2017, 06:13:13 AM »

You can't say that Brian ignored the "car song loving" portion of their fanbase with this album.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 06:14:32 AM by Kid Presentable » Logged
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2017, 09:47:54 AM »

I'm glad that they replaced Billy's vocals with Al's, but they definitely should have kept the synth solo from the earlier version. It adds a nice twist of flavor to the track!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx