gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:42:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love You: Was It the Last Great Album of BB?  (Read 44588 times)
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2017, 12:09:42 PM »

It's a radically repetitive and simple number.

There is a rich tradition in rock (VU, Eno) and classical (Glass, Riley) for such radically repetitive musical structures, though  Brian is not being self-consciously avant-garde here, he just hit upon a fun groove and decided to go with it.

It's not a composition for the ages, but neither is it mere filler. It has a pleasingly rough-hewed texture, and an over-all throw-back feel to it, like an early 60s Freddy Cannon or Gary U.S. Bonds record.

It is a minor delight.
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2017, 04:41:46 PM »

It's okay, but Dennis didn't sound too well vocally in my opinion and it just gets boring after a while.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2017, 05:47:40 PM »

I want to love Mona, but I kinda only like it. Yet it does have a habit of growing on me. It's sweet with touches like the bells, and it has a charm to it. The Phil Spector lyric is so very sincere, from such a very Brian place, it's hard not to have a little crush on the song.

But I agree that it needs a bridge! It feels like a demo where there's just one riff and the whole song hasn't been figured out/written yet. And I know - the album has a demo-ish kind of vibe throughout - which is part of the album's charm - but this song just needed a bit more than what's there. Yet at the same time, I suppose it's almost cut from the "chant" cloth that a bunch of songs from Smiley Smile are, where the track is almost best quantified as being just an "idea", and less of an actual "song". Just a simple repeating riff, over and over again.

It's sorta like the Whistle In of Love You, but with more production.

While it's grown on me over the years, I do find its placement on the album to be a bit of a sticking point. I love, love, love the first two songs on the album, yet Mona brings things in a direction that doesn't quite work for me, sequencing-wise. I think it's a weaker track from the album, and might be better suited near the end.

Also - something about Mona also oddly reminds me of Denny's What's Wrong, from POB. Not just that Denny sings both songs, but they both have a slightly annoying simplistic repetition to them, both are slightly short on songwriting chops (compared to the other songs on the respective records), and both songs are sequenced WAY early in the album. I certainly don't dislike What's Wrong, but I don't love it either, and it might be my least fave song on POB. And I love that album to tears. Neither song is bad, but I think that they both aren't strong enough to warrant their early-in-the-album-sequence placement!

Plus, now that I think about it, Mona also reminds me a bit of She's Got Rhythm. Different melodies, but sort of a similar circular nature to its structure - but SGR is obviously much more fleshed out with actual other parts.

I wonder how many times Brian has EVER been asked about Mona, and if Denny ever was asked about Mona even one single time during his lifetime.

Finally, I'd like to think that Mona from the TV show Who's The Boss was named after the song Mona. But I'm sure she wasn't  Grin
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 06:00:58 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2017, 06:52:03 PM »

It's not a composition for the ages, but neither is it mere filler. It has a pleasingly rough-hewed texture, and an over-all throw-back feel to it, like an early 60s Freddy Cannon or Gary U.S. Bonds record.

It is a minor delight.
+1  Smiley

It's far from a perfect song that stands on its own, but I find it to be one of the many tracks on Love You that always makes me smile. Dennis as this kind of sleazy Lothario trying to woo his lady in his own cracked way. All the daffy lyrics and rhymes. And the Phil Spector reference at the end, just this perfect zany Brianism that really brings it home. It has a lot of sloppy charm.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2017, 07:02:50 AM »

While it's grown on me over the years, I do find its placement on the album to be a bit of a sticking point. I love, love, love the first two songs on the album, yet Mona brings things in a direction that doesn't quite work for me, sequencing-wise. I think it's a weaker track from the album, and might be better suited near the end.
I've got an idea from your comment- how about putting Mona after Airplane, then moving Solar System after Roller Skating Child? Since the coda to Airplane is repetitive, I guess it'd work. What do you think about that?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2017, 07:40:54 AM »

I think "Mona" is fabulous, almost perfect in a way. Yes, it's repetitive, but it is repetitive according to a well established, four-chord pattern that was used since rock 'n' roll / doo-wop began. (It's not as if it were a one-chord song.) The track is great, energetic and rollicking propulsively into its circular chord pattern (so it never quite gets anywhere despite rolling--almost tumbling--forward). The right hand of the piano on the "and" of each beat is fabulous. It also has some of my favorite lyrics on the entire album.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2017, 05:14:26 PM »

I think "Mona" is fabulous, almost perfect in a way. Yes, it's repetitive, but it is repetitive according to a well established, four-chord pattern that was used since rock 'n' roll / doo-wop began. (It's not as if it were a one-chord song.) The track is great, energetic and rollicking propulsively into its circular chord pattern (so it never quite gets anywhere despite rolling--almost tumbling--forward). The right hand of the piano on the "and" of each beat is fabulous. It also has some of my favorite lyrics on the entire album.

Mona - a very attractive blonde lesbian woman in Hollywood in the 70's-80's, although I don't think Brian ever knew that about her.  He just liked the name.  She wore an excellent white fedora.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2017, 09:51:07 PM »

EDIT: My bad
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:54:00 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2017, 01:01:09 AM »

Mona is by far my favorite song on Love You - no other song on the album comes even close.

Love Dennis' vocals, the farty synths, and overall exuberance of the song.

40 years later I still love to crank up the volume and blast out Mona, whether listening thru speakers at home, in the car, or over headphones.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2017, 01:56:26 AM »

Mona is by far my favorite song on Love You - no other song on the album comes even close.

Love Dennis' vocals, the farty synths, and overall exuberance of the song.

40 years later I still love to crank up the volume and blast out Mona, whether listening thru speakers at home, in the car, or over headphones.

Completely agreed - though there are other great songs on the album as well
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2017, 04:06:37 AM »

Mona is one of my favorite songs (I think my favorite is one of the least popular songs on the album....) and in my mind, when I heard the description of Love You as "Pet Sounds with Crayon", Mona is one of the first songs that comes to mind.  The simple and unconventional positivity in both the lyrics and the music always brings a smile to my face.  I would have enjoyed an instrumental solo of some sort in the middle, but I enjoy it enough without it.  The descending vocal melody is really fun, I am sort of glad it just got repeated over and over. 
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2017, 04:12:29 AM »

Notice: Due to my personal reason, the next discussion will be kicked off in several hours
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2017, 04:43:19 AM »

The Fifth Discussion
Theme: All Things 'Johnny Carson'
Main Question: Do you find the lyrics silly, or find it interesting?

This song was one of the reason why I was attracted by the album at first. One of the weirdest song Brian ever did -and he did it in the very good way. I love its weird lyrics, weird instrumentals, and weird production. Wish he had written songs like this more.

Here's interesting comment on this song by Johnny Carson himself (Thanks a lot to PSF member Radio King Dom for posting this):
"Sure I heard it. Someone sent it over to the office. I don't think it was a big seller. I think they just did it for the fun of it. It was not a work of art."

Now, you can discuss anything about Johnny Carson. What do you think about this song? Looking forward to seeing your 'weird' opinions on this weird song.

Video: https://youtu.be/Q65vGN_CnHQ
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2017, 04:55:13 AM »

It sure is step forward from previous song, it's weird alright but not the kind of weird I like. Sth. about it doesn't make me replay it. The shouts every 2nd beat hurt the ears, Mike's vocal could care less about. The ending is nice twist, I think that's what Carson liked the best. :D The lyrics definitely in the "silly" side. Nothing interesting. But then I ain't lyric analyst.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2017, 06:06:49 AM »

In 'Solar System' and 'Johnny Carson', I detect a similarity in sensibility between Brian and Jonathan  Richman : both writing about everyday subjects with a child-like openness and lack of irony.

'Johnny Carson' as a number continually flirts with tedium, but just when you think that " ok, this is getting boring", Brian throws in a change to keep it listenable.
Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2017, 05:05:14 PM »

This is the Love You Re-Appreciation Thread, but as I haven't been a Beach Boys fan for very long I only recently heard Love You for the first time. I loved it on first listen- so this is first-time appreciation for me. I've played it about six times this one week alone. Honestly wasn't expecting to like it this much, but I was pleasantly surprised.

"Let Us Go On This Way" is a great album opener, it hooked me right away. Although I feel like the vocals on the chorus could have been arranged differently. "Roller Skating Child" is fun and catchy, and the lyrics made me laugh, as strange as they are. "Mona" is a nice song, and I like the repetitiveness, although I didn't really like it the first time I heard it. It's grown on me. The last lines are also pretty funny. That's really one reason I love this album, it certainly has a sense of humor.

As for the current discussion... "Johnny Carson" has silly lyrics no doubt, but it's a really fun song. Especially the "Who's the man that we admire?" section at the end, which almost sounds like cheerleading to me.

Late at night, I think about the love of this whole world...
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2017, 06:22:12 PM »

It's taken me a while to warm up to Love You, as I have a long standing aversion to synthesizers.
But I find Johnny Carson interesting musically, particularly the chorus sections and the ending section.

As someone in show business Brian was astute enough to realize that "the network makes (Carson) break his back."

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2017, 07:52:33 PM »

I dig 'Johnny Carson' just like the rest of the album. The lyrics toe the line between weird and intriguing. I still remember the look on my face when I first heard it. Like the subject matter, it's entertaining as all hell.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:33:14 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2017, 02:13:56 AM »

"Johnny Carson" features one of my all-time favourite cymbal smashes. Curiously, "Mouldy Old Dough" by Lieutenant Pigeon has a similar cymbal crash at the same moment in the song. Two other favourites featuring a one-off cymbal crash (in their case on the second beat of the bar) are Beefheart's "The Spotlight Kid" and Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop". But I digress.  Grin 

AGD's description of "JC" in the Guide puts it all into perspective. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Forrest Gump
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2017, 07:52:15 PM »

They should have kept the guitar intro.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2017, 02:33:15 AM »

The Sixth discussion
Theme: All Things 'Good Time'
Main Question: Was this the best cut for the album off Sunflower era outtakes?

To answer the question myself: I dunno. There are only two songs from Sunflower era outtakes that would fit on Love You; Good Time and Games Two Can Play. Where is She also would be nice contender, but it would've required remaking and it's doubtful that the boys still recognize the presence of the song. Good Time and Games Two Can Play, on the other hand, perfectly fit the vibes of the album due to its synth arrangement and lyrically silliness. It's also possible to include both songs on there, I think.

Short comments on considering other outtakes on Love You
When Girls Get Together: NO WAY! It's a mystery it considered for New Album, which would musically be similar to Love You.
Season in the Sun: Lyrically impossible.
Loop De Loop: Lyrically possible, but it would really hurt the album due to its production that's way too different from Love You.
H. E. L. P.: It was intended to put on Adult/Child. So it could've happened, but I don't think it would fit here both lyrically and musically.
San Miguel: SOOOOO Out of place.
Fallin' in Love: Could've never happened.

Though I said I dunno, It's no doubt that Good Time actually fits on the album and it originally is a very good little pop song.

Off thread comment: In my opinion, it'd have really been great if they have put an album that includes all of the Sunflower/Surf's Up outtakes during 1974-75. Then Inclusion of Good Time on this album would've never happened, but that'd be a good thing. (Maybe we could've include Shortnin' Bread instead)

Now, you can discuss anything about Good Time. What do you think about this song? looking forward to your interesting views on it.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2017, 03:39:08 AM »

"Seasons In The Sun" may not fit but imo, it would be in place of either "Ding Dang" or "The Night Was So Young" - 2 worst songs. "Good Time" doesn't fit vocally; on the other hand, Carl's voice by the time changed. So vocally at least, it'd be nice inclusion.

Mixed about subject. Like the intro, chorus, the ending. Dislike verses, pre-chorus, middle 8.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2017, 04:23:14 AM »

I thing Good Time is an okay song (also with some unfortunate lyrics though) but I wish it wasn't on Love You.  The replacement I would first suggest is the remade Ruby Ruby cover, but you're right, there really isn't a perfect candidate for this.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2017, 04:40:25 AM »

A lot of great albums have an "odd one out". "Good Time" has that honour on Love You. And that suits me just fine. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2017, 08:38:10 AM »

If there was ever an album for My Solution to even maybe fit onto, this would be the only one.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx