gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:53:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love You: Was It the Last Great Album of BB?  (Read 44344 times)
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »

Then I started to think of it as a whole, as an artistic statement, and everything clicked.

So here's the thing-- for me I think it clicks. I get it. I'm listening with much more context now than I was years ago.  But Love You "clicking" for me happens to not translate into enjoyment of the album.

I thought of another-- perhaps more fitting-- analogy for why Love You doesn't even appeal to me even on a curiosity level. Aside from the fact that I don't remotely like any tracks on the album, my real problem with Love You is the way so many Beach Boys fans treat it on the same level as other Beach Boys albums.  Talking about  "Let Us Go on This Way" or "Johnny Carson" being potential hits, etc.  Treating Love You on the same level as nearly any other Beach Boys album is like treating a county fair Skee-Ball game played by Michael Jordan to any of his basketball performances.

THAT'S what Love You is to me-- Michael Jordan playing Skee-Ball. Fun? Meh. Maybe, kinda. Genius? Great? Worth my time? Nah.

All depends what you enjoy about a BBs album. If its smooth production and performance, then this album isn't for you. If, like me though you love the Beach Boys for their great, unexpected chord sequences and melodies, then Love You is up there with the best. And for those same reasons Smiley Smile is my favourite album of theirs.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 11:20:55 PM »

Then I started to think of it as a whole, as an artistic statement, and everything clicked.

So here's the thing-- for me I think it clicks. I get it. I'm listening with much more context now than I was years ago.  But Love You "clicking" for me happens to not translate into enjoyment of the album.

I thought of another-- perhaps more fitting-- analogy for why Love You doesn't even appeal to me even on a curiosity level. Aside from the fact that I don't remotely like any tracks on the album, my real problem with Love You is the way so many Beach Boys fans treat it on the same level as other Beach Boys albums.  Talking about  "Let Us Go on This Way" or "Johnny Carson" being potential hits, etc.  Treating Love You on the same level as nearly any other Beach Boys album is like treating a county fair Skee-Ball game played by Michael Jordan to any of his basketball performances.

THAT'S what Love You is to me-- Michael Jordan playing Skee-Ball. Fun? Meh. Maybe, kinda. Genius? Great? Worth my time? Nah.

All depends what you enjoy about a BBs album. If its smooth production and performance, then this album isn't for you. If, like me though you love the Beach Boys for their great, unexpected chord sequences and melodies, then Love You is up there with the best. And for those same reasons Smiley Smile is my favourite album of theirs.
Smiley Smile is weird as heck, but it has amazing vocals by the Boys. Love You? Not so much.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 08:16:55 AM »

Smiley Smile is weird as heck, but it has amazing vocals by the Boys. Love You? Not so much.

Exactly! In fact, the stripped-down nature of Smiley Smile really allows those vocals to shine. Brian still had his pure, early Brian voice, and the harmonies shine just like they did on every record prior.  Musically, Smiley Smile is superior as well. (I never factor in lyrics, since I've always felt most Beach Boys lyrics are cringeworthy on their own.)

Brian's voice on Love You is trashed. The harmonies are almost cartoonized, and the sound itself lo-fi-- and not in a good way. I have to believe that some fans' fondness for Love You derives mostly from their personal connection to it rather than its raw musical merit. There's a reason nobody outside this board has ever heard of it.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2017, 08:51:37 AM »

Exactly! In fact, the stripped-down nature of Smiley Smile really allows those vocals to shine. Brian still had his pure, early Brian voice, and the harmonies shine just like they did on every record prior.  Musically, Smiley Smile is superior as well. (I never factor in lyrics, since I've always felt most Beach Boys lyrics are cringeworthy on their own.)

Brian's voice on Love You is trashed. The harmonies are almost cartoonized, and the sound itself lo-fi-- and not in a good way. I have to believe that some fans' fondness for Love You derives mostly from their personal connection to it rather than its raw musical merit. There's a reason nobody outside this board has ever heard of it.

No, like I said my main reason for listening to the BB are the chord sequences, melidies and arrangements. Not trying to diminish anyone but I find it easy to hear past production and performance. Just my aural setup.

To me Love You sounded beautiful from the first listen, as all those chord sequences, melodies and left field arrangements that made their earlier material so great were there in spades. I don't really listen to much BB (solo and group) past this album. To me, and some others on this board, it was Brian's last great artistic expression.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:55:02 AM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 09:11:22 AM »

Love You is awesome. It's warped, odd, atypical, bizarre, and lots of other things, but it's got HEART. It's a guy who is trying to recapture some past magic for the first time in awhile, finally getting to make a project with his band (utilizing the members as instruments) on wholly his own terms for the first (and ultimately last) time in ages.

There are certainly some weaker spots, but to me the only real clunker is Love is a Woman, which fortunately is at the very end. I recently played a few songs from this album for a friend who'd never heard any of it; she loved it.

Special praise to Roller Skating Child - it just rocks in a very special way, and Mike's vocals (at least in his upbeat type of voice) have perhaps never sounded better. Same with Al's. It sounds modern and retro all at the same time. THIS should have been a single. Maybe the lyrics/subject matter would have held it back; I dunno. 
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2017, 12:08:49 AM »

I have to believe that some fans' fondness for Love You derives mostly from their personal connection to it rather than its raw musical merit. There's a reason nobody outside this board has ever heard of it.
You're right at least about me.  They say love is blind, and probably my love for Love You too is blind.
That, IMO, is a good thing. Plus, I find that many BB fans have BB albums/songs that they love blindly in a very good way.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2017, 12:12:37 AM »

Notice: The second discussion will be postponed to tomorrow  due to my personal reasons.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2017, 12:29:49 AM »

... Brian's voice on Love You is trashed. The harmonies are almost cartoonized, and the sound itself lo-fi-- and not in a good way. I have to believe that some fans' fondness for Love You derives mostly from their personal connection to it rather than its raw musical merit. There's a reason nobody outside this board has ever heard of it.

Having been there from the beginning, I was incredibly disappointed by Brian's vocals on LY, but not all that surprised after hearing 15BO.

And actually back in the day there were a fair number of people who heard Love You, which was the reason it was not too hard to find in used record bins. But due to lack of sales, including no hit single, a totally uninspired album cover from Dean Torrence, a really dumb title, poor vocals, and a number of weak songs, in short order there were tons of copies in the cut-out bins after Warner/Reprise realized they'd pressed way too many copies.

But that being said, after a few years, realizing that the classic BW voice, artistry, and understanding of what made commercial sense had not manifested themselves on Love You, I did begin to appreciate the BW quirkiness on the album, but I still cringe when hearing some of the lyrics and many of the vocals. Thank you, Carl Wilson, in doing your best to help salvage the tracks on this album.

In so many ways, Love You was a jump into the abyss, far removed from both the commerciality of the early stuff and the sublime artistry of side two of Today thru Sunflower, etc.

And all that being said, I absolutely love Mona! Yeah, it's often considered a lesser track, but to me it is absolutely sublime.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:50:46 AM by Custom Machine » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2017, 12:48:58 AM »

Love You is awesome. It's warped, odd, atypical, bizarre, and lots of other things, but it's got HEART. It's a guy who is trying to recapture some past magic for the first time in awhile, finally getting to make a project with his band (utilizing the members as instruments) on wholly his own terms for the first (and ultimately last) time in ages.

There are certainly some weaker spots, but to me the only real clunker is Love is a Woman, which fortunately is at the very end. I recently played a few songs from this album for a friend who'd never heard any of it; she loved it.

Special praise to Roller Skating Child - it just rocks in a very special way, and Mike's vocals (at least in his upbeat type of voice) have perhaps never sounded better. Same with Al's. It sounds modern and retro all at the same time. THIS should have been a single. Maybe the lyrics/subject matter would have held it back; I dunno.  

Yes, gotta agree, Love You has heart. It's no cynical rehash of past glories; it is pure BW as his state of mind existed in 1977.

But I must comment on Roller Skating Child. Great rocking instrumental track with totally embarrassing lyrics. Men in their thirties singing about making sweet love till the sun goes down, and even doing more when her mama's not around to a roller skating child??  Not to mention how bizarre it was in 1977, such lyrics would have been totally f*cking weird 15 years earlier when the guys first stared out. But the "child" bit was flat out bizarre when every one of the guys was in their thirties. As I stated on the other board, why didn't at least one of the other guys say, "Hey, Bri, instead of singing about making sweet love to a roller skating child, how about calling her a roller skating cutie or beauty?"

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:52:30 AM by Custom Machine » Logged
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2017, 03:11:31 AM »

I'm a strange man as I love Love You and MIU both, but The Beach Boys love you pips the latter mainly due to the absence of cover songs.

One of the shared attractions are Mike's vocals which are excellent on MIU and even better on Love You ("Airplane" is amazing). It's a real shame what happened with his voice between this and KTSA a few short years later.

"Roller-skating child" and "Let us go on this way" are certainly the two most energetic and "cookin'"  up-tempo beach boys tracks since "It's about time," in my view.

Even "Love is a woman" has grown on me in recent years. A catchy number.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2017, 03:58:05 AM »

I like the unconventional arrangements, the quality of the songwriting and most of the lyrics because they are unpretentious and pure Brian Wilson.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2017, 06:43:56 PM »

It has been about 40 years since The Beach Boys Love You, the fruit of Brian's Back campaign first came out in April, 1977. The album has got a lot of either praise and criticism, but is generally recognized as the best things the Beach Boys did in later 70's.

Now, I think it's time to talk over this album. On this thread, we'll have 24 separate discussions, and try to understand more about what The Beach Boys Love You is. I hope you'll enjoy them.

Here's the plan of the discussions:

1. Introduction  Main Question: What is 'Love You' for you?
2. All Things 'Let Us Go On This Way'  Main Question: Is it the best choice for the opener?
3. All Things 'Roller Skating Child'   Main Question: Did they choose roller skating as the song's them as they chose surfing in 60's?
4. All Things 'Mona'   Main Question: How does the repetition of the same melody work for the song?
5. All Things 'Johnny Carson ' Main Question: Do you find the lyrics silly, or find it interesting?
6. All Things 'Good Time'  Main Question: Was this the best cut for the album off Sunflower era outtakes?
7. All Things 'Honkin' Down the Highway'  Main Question: Was it a wise decision to change Billy's lead vocal into Al's one?
8. All Things 'Ding Dang'   Main Question: Was this jam waste of talents of both Brian and Roger?
9. All Things 'Solar System  Main Question: Would this song, or any on the album, have worked better as instrumentals?
10. All Things 'The Night was So Young '   Main Question: Why did Brian write a song about love affair with someone who's not his wife?
11. All Things  'I'll Bet He's Nice'  Main Question: How do you guess how Brian feel about Marilyn when he wrote it?
12. All Things 'Let's Put Our Hearts Together'  Main Question:  Was it a good idea to occasionally include Marilyn on the group's song and how do people feel about Brian's work with her over the years?
13. All Things 'I Wanna Pick You Up'  Main Question:  Are the lyrics here shows Brian's parentship or love for his children?
14. All Things 'Airplane'  Main Question:  Who do you guess Brian wrote this song for?
15. All Things 'Love is a Woman  Main Question:  Is this embarrassing closer for the album as many people say?
16. Vocals  Main Question: Are the vocals here as good as their vocals before?
17. Production  Main Question: Do you think Brian did his best at that time for the album?
18. Other Members' Contribution Main Question: How other members contribute for the album?
19. Lyrics  Main Question: Do you find the lyrics here childish?
20. Influence on the Album Main Question: Are there anything that influenced this album?
21. Influence of the Album  Main Question: Are there any musicians/albums/songs that were influenced by the album?
22. Reception  Main Question: Is the appreciation given to this album fair?
23. Album's Location in the History of Music  Main Question:  Was 1977 the right time for this album?
24. Conclusion  Main Question:  Was 'Love You' the last greatest album from the Beach Boys?

The rules of the discussions:
1. Each discussion should be on its theme, but don't have to be on its main question. Main question is just a tool to make the discussion easier to do.

2. Each discussion will be held for three days.

3. All the discussions will be taken place on this thread, so please make sure to check the theme and main question at the time when you join the discussions.

4. I'll give you a wrap-up post at the end of each discussion.

1. Yes! One of my favorite albums!
2. Great opener! Good lyrics.
3. I love the video of them doing this live in 1977 or 78! Brian jamming on the bass. This version rocks better than the studio version imo.
4. This song has grown on me. Despite a rough vocal and minimal song, it's fun!
5. Awesome song! Has a new wave vibe!
6. Good song, but it sticks out production wise. A song like Winter Symphony would have fit better.
7. Al sings this song well. I haven't heard Hinches version.
8. I always thought this would work well at the end of the album.
9. The chorus is amazing! The lyrics on the verses are a bit elementary though. But the line "If Mars had life on it, I might find my wife on it" is classic!!
10. One of the most underrated songs ever! Production and lyrics are great! Another great vocal by Carl!
11. A strange song! I always assumed he was talking about a boy friend taking his daughters attention away or something.
12. Her voice works well with Brian. Lovely song!
13. Very strange song lyrically. But that is part of the charm!
14. Great song! I assume the fact that he was back on the road he missed Marilyn.
15. This song is charmingly uncomfortable. I can't imagine what the casual fan who watched him perform it on tv was thinking. But I like it.
16. The vocals are rough, but it actually fits with the kind of music and production. Their vocals from 1966 wouldn't have been right for this album.
17. I love this bizarre production. Again, it is kind of an uncomfortable charm.
18. I think the other guys vocals work well for this album. I'm not sure which lyrics Mike or Carl came up with, but this is mostly Brian. Carl probably cleaned the production up a bit.
19. Some of the lyrics are hard to take. But I think in general, it fits with the uncomfortable charm.
20. My sense is that the song writing has an oldies vibe, but the production is 70s synthesizers and rough vocals makes it very original and unique to this day!
21. It hints toward new wave and Daniel Johnston. Though I doubt most of them ever heard Love You. I have heard some artists praise this album though.
22. I get the mixed feelings for this. I love it as many of you do. But I get why most people don't get it.
23. I have always wondered if this had come out in 1976 instead of 15 Big Ones, would more people see Brian as a mad genius or would it have flopped just the same? I don't know.
24. I think they had songs here and there after this but in terms of putting their hearts into an experimental album, this was the last.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2017, 07:10:15 PM »

3. I love the video of them doing this live in 1977 or 78! Brian jamming on the bass. This version rocks better than the studio version imo.
6. Good song, but it sticks out production wise. A song like Winter Symphony would have fit better.
9. The chorus is amazing! The lyrics on the verses are a bit elementary though. But the line "If Mars had life on it, I might find my wife on it" is classic!!
10. One of the most underrated songs ever! Production and lyrics are great! Another great vocal by Carl!
11. A strange song! I always assumed he was talking about a boy friend taking his daughters attention away or something.
14. Great song! I assume the fact that he was back on the road he missed Marilyn.
15. This song is charmingly uncomfortable. I can't imagine what the casual fan who watched him perform it on tv was thinking. But I like it.
16. The vocals are rough, but it actually fits with the kind of music and production. Their vocals from 1966 wouldn't have been right for this album.
17. I love this bizarre production. Again, it is kind of an uncomfortable charm.
18. I think the other guys vocals work well for this album. I'm not sure which lyrics Mike or Carl came up with, but this is mostly Brian. Carl probably cleaned the production up a bit.
19. Some of the lyrics are hard to take. But I think in general, it fits with the uncomfortable charm.
20. My sense is that the song writing has an oldies vibe, but the production is 70s synthesizers and rough vocals makes it very original and unique to this day!
21. It hints toward new wave and Daniel Johnston. Though I doubt most of them ever heard Love You. I have heard some artists praise this album though.
22. I get the mixed feelings for this. I love it as many of you do. But I get why most people don't get it.
23. I have always wondered if this had come out in 1976 instead of 15 Big Ones, would more people see Brian as a mad genius or would it have flopped just the same? I don't know.
24. I think they had songs here and there after this but in terms of putting their hearts into an experimental album, this was the last.
2-24 are for later... but thanks Grin
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2017, 09:15:20 PM »

Here's my wrap-up post:
I found out the opinion of each member here on Love You really varies. Some love it, the other nearly hate it.

Let me sort out the reasons raised by each point of view:
[Love the Album]
・ Love You is Brian unfiltered and beautiful. It is often funny. Sometimes weird. But every track is entertaining and lovable. [pixletwin]
・This record sounds like just hangin with the fella, having a fun time and not giving a crap about perfection, which equals Brian perfection [bringahorseinhere?]
・It's a weird, fun album and I do enjoy listening to it every now and then. [bummerinparadise]
・ I had to see it (or rather hear it) as "outsider music"----and then it all fell into place. [JK]
・While it is true some of it sounds "childish" , some of it doesn't.  Also in retrospect (and this can be applied to 15 Big Ones) the lead vocals sound very strong and direct.[MikestheGreatest!!]
・Brian's songwriting still shines through and leads to Love You being an enjoyable listen. [Threecats]
・Love You is a strange trip inside Brian's mind, much like the second side of Today! or Pet Sounds. [NateRuvin]
・It has such a staying power: every time I listen to a Love You song, I like it more. The songwriting is just that good. [thorgil]
・They(Today! and Love You) both come from a similar inspiration of sentimentality for a musical tradition that I identify as "original rock n roll". [Kid Presentable]
 ・It sounded quite punk/New Wave to me [clack]
・Love You sounded beautiful from the first listen, as all those chord sequences, melodies and left field arrangements that made their earlier material so great were there in spades.[Hickory Violet Part IV]
・It's warped, odd, atypical, bizarre, and lots of other things, but it's got HEART. [CenturyDeprived]
・I'm a strange man as I love Love You and MIU both, but The Beach Boys love you pips the latter mainly due to the absence of cover songs. [Zargo]
・I like the unconventional arrangements, the quality of the songwriting and most of the lyrics because they are unpretentious and pure Brian Wilson.[Cabinessenceking]

[middle-ground]
・Decided it was very unusual, different than anything I heard before [RangeRover01]
・I've tried to listen to it several times and while i can appreciate its uniqueness, it isn't something I really feel motivated to go listen to. [Senator Blutarsky]
・Realizing that the classic BW voice, artistry, and understanding of what made commercial sense had not manifested themselves on Love You, I did begin to appreciate the BW quirkiness on the album, but I still cringe when hearing some of the lyrics and many of the vocals. Thank you, Carl Wilson, in doing your best to help salvage the tracks on this album. [Custom Machine]

[Dislike the Album]
・It sounds like they just threw it together, probably while under the influence [Emdeeh]
・It neither capitalizes on iconic Brian Wilson strengths (arrangement, instrumentation, harmonies), nor progresses from prior work.  I hear no musical genius, no lyrical breakthroughs, no beautiful harmonies at all. [bonnevillemariner]
・LY is the creation of a child. [Lonely Summer]

Interesting that some posters pointing about similarity among Love You, Today!, Pet Sounds. Maybe that's why people love it along with them.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:41:35 PM by Watamushi » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2017, 09:44:43 PM »

The second discussion
Theme: All Things 'Let Us Go On This Way'
Main Question: Is it the best choice for the opener?

Let Us Go On This Way is not greatest song on the album, but the best choice for the opener from those 14 songs, due to its abrupt, powerful intro.
I like the lyrics here. I like its student-likeness. I used to put excerpts from the lyrics on my status of this forum- Goin' to school isn't my fondest desire, but siddin' in class you set my soul on fire. Actually this was somehow very similar to my feeling at that time, now it isn't though.

Now, you can discuss anything about 'Let Us Go On This Way' . What do you think about this song. Do you have any detailed information or own story about it? Looking forward to seeing them here.

The video of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7u_ZkA7GUY
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:09:13 AM by Watamushi » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2017, 10:57:18 PM »

It's the perfect opener. It's in your face with that big moog sound and Carl's brazen vocals. The first track lets the listener know that they aren't listening to your typical Beach Boys album.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2017, 08:03:58 AM »

Hey, Watamushi, you should replace that link for the song with this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7u_ZkA7GUY. The link you posted is not the song.

I think it's a great opener, and one of my favorites on Love You. I've always loved Carl's vocal on it.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2017, 08:08:14 AM »

Hey, Watamushi, you should replace that link for the song with this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7u_ZkA7GUY. The link you posted is not the song.

I think it's a great opener, and one of my favorites on Love You. I've always loved Carl's vocal on it.
Thanks a lot Smiley
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2017, 08:08:39 AM »

2-24 are for later... but thanks Grin

Ooops. I guess I should read better! Tongue

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2017, 03:13:50 PM »

I didn't like it then, don't like it now. That "Viking" short shout from Carl shouldn't be. But it works to start the album. I am generally not fan of Carl's 70s vocals. The Mike bridge is just as bad. & the back vocals chanting "doo ree loh" or some such annoy.
Don't care about lyrics. Not the lyric type listener.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2017, 02:24:11 AM »

I was plain horrified the first time I heard it. But it hit me eventually (the "outsider music" revelation I mentioned).

Brian's drums are killer. Even Mike's less than stellar bridge is redeemed in the last bar by the accents.

"LUGOTW" must be the most arresting start to any album!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2017, 08:30:35 AM »

Arrangement has a nice, chunky texture. Classic Brian arrangements are translucent -- we can hear each instrument -- but here Brian has gone the Spector route : though not a Wall of Sound so much as maybe a Block of Sound.

The structure is interesting -- the verse drives forward, but the chorus stops the song in its tracks. Gives a transcendent, floating feel to the number that's very Brian.

Also, the chorus echoes 'Wendy' ("Guess I was wrong").
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2017, 09:30:34 AM »

I remember my reaction to this song and album after I bought the 15 Big Ones/Love You two-fer back in 2000. Since I'd heard so much about LY I skipped right to it. I'm one of those fans that not only loves Love You, but loved it from first listen. 'Let Us Go On This Way', with Carl's grunt, wacky keyboards, numbskull drums and offbeat lyrics, made me laugh and smile immediately. What the hell IS this album anyhow, I thought. But I had fun listening to it and that smile never faded. What a ride.

Yes, this song makes for a great opener, a first taste for the album. Can't imagine any other song on LY opening it up.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:37:16 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2017, 09:52:02 AM »

It was like Smiley Smile listening experience #2. I thought, "Well, they blew it again!". I gonged it just as I did SS and ended up really liking "Good Time" which ended up being one of Brian's stellar vocals. "The Night Was So Young" has remained a favorite since I first heard it. Other than that, cuts like "Love Is A Woman",
"Johnny Carson", "Let's Put Our Hearts Together", "Let Us Go On This Way", et al, should have never been delivered to the public arena, imo.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2017, 03:05:28 PM »

I think it is an explosive start to the album, and it sets the tone for whats to come. Not a fan of the vocals, but otherwise it's one of my favorite songs on the album.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx