gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:53:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love You: Was It the Last Great Album of BB?  (Read 44349 times)
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 04, 2017, 08:37:07 AM »

This is my favorite song on Love You, and it's not even close.
What's interesting to me is that, fitting in with the theme of most of the second side of Love You, I can interpret it just as easily as being about a father whose daughter has her first serious boyfriend.  Or, it could be about the more obvious answer of an estranged relationship.
The synth is absolutely knocked out of the park.  It pretty much puts me in a trance when I let it. 
The Carl bridge is fantastic.  And this song gets extra credit for being a "just the Wilson Brothers" song. 
The clapping outro is a really interesting addition.  It isn't great, but it seems to be another instance of Brian taking another opportunity on this album to do the exact opposite of what he conventionally should.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 04, 2017, 11:52:33 PM »

another brilliant song. just so good.
innovative synth arrangement, super melody/chord progression, all 3 Wilsons singing lead, those great "betty-ooh" backgrounds, stellar bridge, heartbreaking lyrics, killer outro, the whole package here.

the title and "twice as nice as me" line definitely have a sarcastic/bitter edge, as does the double meaning in "bet he shows you quite a ball"

this song has a sobering maturity to it. I think of it as Brian's divorce song. it has a bittersweetness and loss of innocence akin to Caroline, No... which may or may not have been inspired by Marilyn.  it seems certain that she inspired I'll Bet He's Nice

it's like Caroline No 2.0  Wink
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 05, 2017, 04:05:53 AM »

Can't add anything to the above posts----it's all been said. Far and away the best track on Love You. It's got literally everything going for it...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 05, 2017, 05:54:58 AM »

Well used to like it now don't. Maybe again will like. Cool thing to get Dennis start & finish Brian's lines, for variety, than sing it alone as demo.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: May 05, 2017, 10:55:08 PM »

Second best track on Love You, I love everything about it. The vocal interplay between the three Wilson brothers is outta site (especially Carl's wonderful bridge vocal). Like 'The Night Was So Young', I don't know if the lyrics are true or not, but it doesn't matter. Charming as all hell.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »

Great song, and IMHO, some of the best lyrics Brian wrote on his own.

Brian's demo of this is pretty good.

There's a good youtube cover too.

I'd still love for someone to re-arrange the whole back half of this album in "Pet Sounds" style so that more people would appreciate it.  I can hear it in my head.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2017, 02:29:41 AM »

The Twelfth Discussion
Theme: All Things 'Let's Put Our Hearts Together'
Main Question: Was it a good idea to occasionally include Marilyn on the group's song and how do people feel about Brian's work with her over the years?

It was sometimes good, other times not good. This is one of the 'sometimes' cases. If not for Marilyn's vocal, this song would be ended up as a throwaway like Marilyn Rovell or Lazy Lizzie would be. Her vocals add a lot to the song- actually make the song kinda moving to me.

Now, what do you think about this song?

Video: https://youtu.be/MPQ38p4yPMo
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2017, 03:21:13 AM »

It is moving, definitely, but at the same time painful to listen to. It reminds me in some ways of Kate Bush's duet with Elton John, only this is the real deal. If any song feels likes eavesdropping on a very private moment, it's "LPOHT".

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2017, 07:12:45 AM »

I think the duet takes away from the song, because Marilyn's part is in the sweet part of Brian's old range.  The whole thing is definitely a tenor line.

Just imagine Pet Sounds-era Brian singing the whole thing.   I think he would have nailed it.

This cover gives you an idea
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 09:31:11 AM by Fro » Logged
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2017, 01:33:39 PM »

This might be my least favorite song on the album- which isn't saying much because I still like it.  A lot of it has to do with the vocals and the irregular vocal melody.  They shouldn't have asked Marilyn to sustain some of those notes, it's a lot to ask of her and she can't quite cut it.  I think the backing track is neat and deceptively complex, though.  It bums me out that my favorite song goes right into this song.  Maybe that is part of why I am hard on it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 01:34:29 PM by Kid Presentable » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2017, 07:44:02 PM »

it's a gorgeous song that is undermined by both their vocals unfortunately. I like Brian's demo better, think it works better as a solo rather than a duet.

still, it's bittersweet as hell to hear the two of them sing this one. their marriage was basically over, maybe Brian wrote the song as a last-ditch effort to stay together, or at the very least an ode to Marilyn and their relationship. I've never been a big fan of her vocals, but she does have a certain purity and honesty in her voice. an innocence even, something neither of them really possessed anymore but this song comes close.

love the background vocals too.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2017, 11:06:14 AM »

I understand what everyone is saying about the bittersweetness of the song given its context in Brian & Marilyn's marriage, but I actually find the song very funny in an offbeat way, and even very moving. There's something so zany about the lyrics and the wacky karaoke-style vocals, and yet there's a lot of genuine feeling and sweetness to it too. It doesn't sound quite like any other song. I really enjoy it.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2017, 04:03:37 AM »

...I'll have to change the main question from the original, sorry about that.

The Thirteenth Discussion
Theme: All Things 'I Wanna Pick You Up'
Main Question: What are your thoughts on Brian's comment on this song?

I've always read and thought this was a song about Brian's love for his children, but man, that wasn't true at all. Pet Sounds Forum member Monolithic quoted Brian on a magazine:
 "This song is descriptive of man who considers this chick a baby, and he says, 'Well, you still have a baby in you. You're still like a baby to me. You just sorta have that thing and I want to pick you up.' Even though she's too big to pick up, of course. But he wants to: he wants to pretend she's small like a baby: He really wants to pick her up!"

Sigh. But this IS the Brian, as usual.  The song is pretty and Dennis adds more vocally to the prettiness, but it must have been embarrassing to listen to for those who had read the quote above at that time.

Now, what're your thoughts on this song and the comment above? Looking forward to seeing them.

Video: https://youtu.be/KoYk2mgE8A8
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:11:05 AM by Watamushi (Polly Poller) » Logged
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 10, 2017, 06:24:15 AM »

Imagine the vituperation heaped upon Mike's head if he had written the lyrics for 'Lazy Lizzie', 'Hey Little Tomboy', 'Roller Skating Child', and 'I Wanna Pick You Up'. (What would Mike write if he had no filter? 'I Wanna Suck Your Toes'?)

That said, there is something innocent about Brian's perving after young girls. He has no idea he's being creepy.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2017, 09:14:57 AM »

there is something innocent about Brian's perving after young girls. He has no idea he's being creepy.

Yes. It's much like when, according to Tony Asher, he used to burst into tears when something sad happened in Flipper!

I hate to agree with Landy in L&M, but in some ways Brian is like a child in a man's body...

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 10, 2017, 09:43:30 AM »

Imagine the vituperation heaped upon Mike's head if he had written the lyrics for 'Lazy Lizzie', 'Hey Little Tomboy', 'Roller Skating Child', and 'I Wanna Pick You Up'. (What would Mike write if he had no filter? 'I Wanna Suck Your Toes'?)

True, but that's because he'd have no real excuse for it, and surely would never express an iota of regret under any circumstances. On the other hand, with Brian, he has acknowledged (and it has been long known/admitted to) that he has suffered from emotional problems and mental illness. That's at least *somewhat* of an excuse for more questionable things getting more of a pass, and having more general understanding from fans.

While Brian has gone out of his way to talk about some music he's written actually being "inappropriate" (granted, not the songs you mentioned), I can't ever recall Mike doing the same about any of his own lyrics.

I like I Wanna Pick You Up musically. Lyrically, it's pretty cringe-inducing. But I give Brian the benefit of the doubt that he was coming from a good place.

As most people would concede, the end a capella part is quite nice, even with the slightly ravaged voices.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:57:52 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 10, 2017, 11:00:58 AM »

Song #2 on this record where Brian hits one of his last homeruns as a Beach Boy.  Except for the awful lyrics.  Sad  I really like Dennis singing it.  The chorus is fantastic.  It warms my heart.  When I decide to tell myself that he wrote this song about Wendy, who was about 7 at the time, I like the song a lot and it is one of my favorites on the record.  When I don't jump through those mental hoops, I skip the song.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 10, 2017, 11:02:49 AM »

BW means well but the lyrics are clumsy... Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 10, 2017, 11:24:11 AM »

BW means well but the lyrics are clumsy... Undecided

Agreed.

A few comments/questions about the lyrics:

- I bet this is one of the only songs by a major rock band to have the following words in a released song's lyrics:

shampoo
cup
butt (maybe the only song by a famous band, up until that time, that used the term "butt" - meaning rear end - in a non-sexual way?)

- Regarding the lyrics near the end:

Most online lyric sites display the lyrics this way:

Pat pat pat pat pat her on her butt butt
She's going to sleep be quiet
Pat pat pat pat pat her on her butt
She's going to sleep

But (pun intended), has anyone else thought the lyric "butt" is supposed to be an intentional double meaning of "butt" and "but"?

Almost like the lyrics are:

Pat pat pat pat pat her on her butt, but
She's going to sleep be quiet
Pat pat pat pat pat her on her...but,
She's going to sleep

That's how I've always heard it, anyway.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:28:43 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 10, 2017, 11:33:10 AM »

While I sincerely hope that one day, the entirety of the BBs catalog will be officially released with both backing tracks and a capella mixes of every single song from every single album (not holding my breath, but I still hope so)…

Assuming if this scenario doesn’t happen, and we continue to only get occasional backing tracks/ a capella mixes piecemeal on compilations and perhaps deluxe album reissues (Wild Honey, I hope, cough cough)… is there any BBs song LESS likely than I Wanna Pick You Up to receive a one-off official release in the form of a Stack-O-Vocals a capella mix?  Not sure there are many.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 10, 2017, 11:48:39 AM »

I pretty much tune out that quote. To me, the song is straightforward, sweet and sincere about a dad's relationship with his child. The lyrics are goofy but reflect well that childlike mentality. I really like it.

Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2017, 01:49:49 AM »

My sister is not a beach boys fan per se, but loves this song and insisted I have it as the backing music to my niece's first birthday slide-show a few years back.

Taking the lyrics at face value, it's great just to have more songs around that aren't about romance (or sex, as most modern songs seem to be about)
 *end grump from ancient 32 year old*

And the music very pleasant also, the vocals possessing a pleasant earnestness. It probably would have only worked with Dennis and Brian on vocals, funnily enough. Or maybe Bruce if he was more officially around.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2017, 08:56:08 AM »

And the music very pleasant also, the vocals possessing a pleasant earnestness. It probably would have only worked with Dennis and Brian on vocals, funnily enough. Or maybe Bruce if he was more officially around.

Agree! The rough Love You vocals work surprisingly well for me on this song. You can tell the narrator singing the song is no longer very youthful, and the quality of his voice (voices) suggest that he has lived a pretty bumpy life... but singing about his young daughter and their bond together is taking him someplace emotional and pure. I do get why other listeners might not respond to this one, but I find it quite touching.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2017, 09:54:36 AM »

Could I Wanna Pick You Up have been used in a TV commercial for diapers or something? Serious question. I almost think it could have.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 13, 2017, 01:19:34 AM »

The Fourteenth Discussion
Theme: All Things 'Airplane'
Main Question: Who do you guess Brian wrote this song for?

Airplane is one of the greatest track with nice Mike's lead vocal and Brian's childish, yet fine lyrics. The production is very appropriate for the theme of the song: sounds like floating in the air, you know. The coda is cheerful and a nice bridge to the next oldies-style song.

For writing this post, I re-read the lyrics again and found those lines interesting:

The woman sitting next to me tells me 'bout her guy
And I tell her all about you and I

Who is the woman telling Brian about her guy? Yeah, maybe we'll never know. Plus, who is 'you'? Must be Marilyn, but could be an another woman. I'm wondering Sad

Now, you can discuss anything about Airplane. Looking forward to seeing your interesting opinion on the song.

Video: https://youtu.be/vdgqwSoWbbw
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx