gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:34:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hi from Japan!  (Read 16944 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 03:54:11 AM »

Hi, ワタムシ. I never gave you a proper welcome on PSF or here, but...

SmileySmile へようこそ!

I was born in Japan but raised in the States, and I never grew up learning Japanese. So the only bit I know is from high school Japanese classes, which I have mostly forgotten. Am I right in my wording?
Thanks for welcoming me, and sure that's right. ワタムシ is Watamushi and ようこそ is welcome. Excellent Grin BTW, Smiley Smile is spelled スマイリー・スマイル in Japanese.

Well, I was surprised to know you were born in Japan. Where were you born?

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 11:43:37 AM »

SmileySmile へようこそ!

I was born in Japan but raised in the States, and I never grew up learning Japanese. So the only bit I know is from high school Japanese classes, which I have mostly forgotten. Am I right in my wording?
Thanks for welcoming me, and sure that's right. ワタムシ is Watamushi and ようこそ is welcome. Excellent Grin BTW, Smiley Smile is spelled スマイリー・スマイル in Japanese.

In a place called Toda? I think it's near Tokyo? I've also visited a few times, although not since I was about seven (and I'm three times that age now!).

Whereabouts are you? My (adopted) mother is from Kobe, which is the only city I can remember from my visits.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 01:49:26 AM »

SmileySmile へようこそ!

In a place called Toda? I think it's near Tokyo? I've also visited a few times, although not since I was about seven (and I'm three times that age now!).

Whereabouts are you? My (adopted) mother is from Kobe, which is the only city I can remember from my visits.
I've just googled about Toda, and found that it's in Saitama Prefecture, which is next to Tokyo.

I live in Kyushu island, which is located in the far west of kobe city.

I actually have never been to Honshu island, so technically you've been to the place that I've never Grin

Do you have any plan to visit Japan in the foreseeable future?
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 01:58:58 AM »

As this is a Hi from Japan, have been interested in how baseball became so popular in Japan. I'm reading a book, "Banzai Babe Ruth", about when a group of star baseball players went on tour in Japan in 1934, and hopefully that book will explain how baseball became so popular.

(Along those lines, have always been curious as how, with groups such as The Beatles, Stones, etc. around, The Beach Boys became so popular in the U.K.)
As far as I know, baseball is popular in Japan for more than 100 years in Japan, and a famous haiku poet called Shiki Masaoka did a lot to make it so popular here.

After said that tour in 1934, a Japanese baseball team  went America to play with teams there in 1935 and did pretty well. The team still exists as Yomiuri Giants, and has been definitely the strongest baseball team in Japan over the years.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 06:30:35 AM »

Yes, in the US the Giants are by far the most famous Japanese baseball team.
Sadaharu Oh became quite famous among baseball fans here for his home runs record.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2017, 09:45:07 PM »

I've just googled about Toda, and found that it's in Saitama Prefecture, which is next to Tokyo.

I actually have never been to Honshu island, so technically you've been to the place that I've never Grin

My mother is actually from Kobe—I wouldn't know which part, though. The times I've visited Japan, she's been my translator. So... I don't know how a trip to Japan would go, seeing as I can't speak the language beyond introducing myself and asking where the bathroom is, although I suppose that's enough to barely survive Tongue.

I love Japanese food, too, although I haven't really eaten any since going vegetarian. Still, I'd live off of Japanese baked goods any day. How are the cherry blossoms over there, by the way?

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2017, 09:59:32 PM »

My mother is actually from Kobe—I wouldn't know which part, though. The times I've visited Japan, she's been my translator. So... I don't know how a trip to Japan would go, seeing as I can't speak the language beyond introducing myself and asking where the bathroom is, although I suppose that's enough to barely survive Tongue.

I love Japanese food, too, although I haven't really eaten any since going vegetarian. Still, I'd live off of Japanese baked goods any day. How are the cherry blossoms over there, by the way?
Cherry blossoms are already gone and the leaves turned green here in Kyushu. Cherry blossoms in full bloom are exceptional things ever- you can even enjoy them when they've fallen down to the ground and decorated the street like a beautiful carpet. I enjoyed seeing them falling and waking on the 'carpet' a lot last month.

BTW, What kind of Japanese baked goods do you usually have?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx