gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:42:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would Mike Love Be A More Prolific Writer As A Beach Boy?  (Read 4089 times)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2017, 05:05:43 AM »

We have been hearing about Mike Love's unreleased songs for many years. Some are better than others for certain. Some of the folks here on the Smiley Smile board feel Mike did not have much creative input toward the harmonies in Beach Boys songs. I would not necessarily agree with them as I think that just by being in the Beach Boys for so long, you would have a better understanding of harmonies than most. Plus, I feel Mike can be a talented lyricist/vocalist, especially under the right conditions, and he could add interesting vocal hooks to the songs to make them stand out a little more.

Mike surrounds himself with decent musicians and people who can duplicate Beach Boys background vocals well enough. He has written with outside writers plenty of times, so does not really need Brian to release new music. There have to be people who could write/co-write great Beach Boys-sounding songs.

Theoretically, other folks could write some decent fun/sun/girls/cars Beach Boys-sounding songs the way Mike wants them, and do all the studio work so Mike only has to drop in his vocals. Mike's voices - both lead and bass - are very recognizable as to belonging to the Beach Boys. Mike is clearly not a lazy person, as he works his ass off touring.

I am sure he could hold another contest where starving bands could send him demos of songs - and they would be happy just to get their names out there. Mike could pick the ones he likes, add some parts and change a few words and have exactly what he wanted song-wise.

One key factor that I think may hinder a Mike Love/Beach Boys-sounding album is the name. If he could release new music under the Beach Boys name, it would probably get a whole lot more attention. I am not advocating this, because a Beach Boys album really needs multiple inputs to be a great album, and one of those inputs should be Brian Wilson, of course. Even some of Al's stuff could work.

The point is that I am not saying I want Mike to release a Beach Boys album if that was possible, but I was wondering if the fact that it has to be released under the name "Mike Love" would make a great deal of effort yield poor results.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 06:19:18 AM »

It would yield what his previous attempts bestowed...more of 'that'. LOL  Sure he was a part of it....and sure he knows the parts but there are 3 things one needs in order to have a chance at a HIT 'record'.  You need a terrific piece of music.  That isn't likely going to happen...although, granted, even a blind squirrel does find the odd nut.  He needs a great vocalist to sing it for him.  There's even less chance of THAT occurring if it's going to be a solo album 'cause THAT ship sailed years ago.  And the production has to be timely and now.  And if there's anybody on the face of this planet who has steered clear of now more that him over these past 50 [plus] years...well...they're dead.

'They' say that when you get old...that the voice is pretty much the last thing to leave you...but it does leave.  Those sails ... are full.  Cool Guy
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 06:21:38 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 06:34:42 AM »

I don't think Mike would have released much, if any, more material regardless of the name under which he could do so for the very reason he himself gives pretty often: he doesn't much like recording. He's not built for it. The kinds of things that go into making really good records are things he finds tedious, per his own repeated admission. And now especially with the record business not being anywhere near as lucrative as it was in the band's biggest decades and instead being used even by major stars as more or less advertisements to sell concert tickets, I don't think it's something that's much on his mind. He--correctly--likely assumes that he's already got a few dozen beloved songs to do live, so why spin his wheels for weeks and months painstakingly creating something that will, at best, not be laughably inferior to that catalog?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 06:59:53 AM »

Mike sounds like a karaoke singer without BW's music and arrangements.....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 07:52:32 AM »

Mike sounds like a karaoke singer without BW's music and arrangements.....

LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 08:09:30 AM »

well we have "Looking back with Love", a huge chunk of "MIU", "Nascar", "SIP" and the "Mike and Dean" recordings which would give us an indication as to what his other recordings would sound like,,,And as far as Boots go we have "Country Love" (which is absolutely horrific) "First Love" (which is okay in parts) and the "Bakers Dozen" (which is slightly better than the others but not great) and so with the exception of maybe 7 or 8 decent to good songs out of ALL of these albums I just mentioned, these songs are really dire.. also he tends to do too many cover tunes which tend to be generic sounding (especially the Mike and Dean stuff) and yes it sounds like he is singing karaoke...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 06:24:57 AM »

Could Mike be more prolific as a songwriter with The Beach Boys name behind him? I think one glaring strike against this idea is the album 'Summer In Paradise'. Mike had free reign to create a Beach Boys album with all of his talent behind him, all of this on the heels of releasing their last number 1 hit. He had the voice of Carl Wilson, Al Jardine, even Van Dyke Parks played a role in the album. And it bombed terribly. To this day I think it's their only studio album you can't easily find or find at all (especially in digital stores) without having to pirate it just for the laugh.

I think the problem with Mike's songwriting for the last couple (few) decades is a lack of sincerity. He mentioned almost straight up in Carlin's book that he's in this for the profit (I tried to find the quote, and I will keep looking later, but he does say something like that). And when he rides the coattails of The Beatles (Pisces Brothers) or of the Bill Murray Netflix special (the autotuned nightmare Christmas single version that wasn't even used in the actual special) for his only singles in the last couple decades, it kinda gives the impression that his intentions aren't grounded in a sincere love for music. I have no doubt he has a sincere love for music, but I think his longing for recognition and access to fame override the talent he does have.

I would love to see Mike work with Brian again. I would love to hear Bruce harmonizing with Al Jardine again. I would love to see one more Beach Boys album that isn't full of fake "we wanna go to the beach again, isn't it time?" nonsense, and focus on the real challenges and upsets in their lives...it's why the life suite is the most talked about section from that album. Yeah, Mike, that life suite is depressing, but it's honest. When you guys were young you fooled everyone into thinking you were surfers. You got away with it because you were young and it sounded convincing. These days it just sounds rehashed and old, and nowadays people know that half of you guys don't even like to be at the beach.

My dream Beach Boys album is to have Rick Rubin oversee the booth/studio work, Brian Eno oversee the vision, and Brian Wilson oversee it all. Keep everything honest and genuine. You know why Johnny Cash's latest albums will be heard for generations? They sound fuckin real. Cash had moments of selling out to distinct sounds of certain eras he was recording in (just like The Beach Boys). But that last era of his life he recorded an album in his damn living room. f*** what you think the market wants, because more often than not: what you think is wrong. Just be genuine and you'd have a turnaround like Cash did....and if it's profits you're looking for, profits you will find in that.

For Mike to have his name on another successful Beach Boys album he's gonna have to let go of his ego. If Joe Pesci does an Easter Hulu special and has Phoenix record 'Viggie' for it for whatever godawful reason, Mike shouldn't feel like he needs to record his own version just to get some recognition in an obscure online blog. Be honest with your music, for older artists that honesty turns into recognition, and that honest recognition turns into everlasting fame. The life suite was a glimpse at that. Christ, can you imagine if they just released one album of that material? It would've gone to #1.

Anyways, I'm done rambling. For now.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:27:00 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 06:44:01 AM »

\

I think the problem with Mike's songwriting for the last couple (few) decades is a lack of sincerity. He mentioned almost straight up in Carlin's book that he's in this for the profit (I tried to find the quote, and I will keep looking later, but he does say something like that).

He does it for his"Nourishment and revenge"?  That it?  Impossible to respect THAT.  And I don't.  Not even 1 iota.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 07:30:30 AM »

Quote from: rab2591
Anyways, I'm done rambling. For now.
Thank you for the well-thought-out and intelligent response. There is no rambling here.

Could Mike be more prolific as a songwriter with The Beach Boys name behind him? I think one glaring strike against this idea is the album 'Summer In Paradise'. Mike had free reign to create a Beach Boys album with all of his talent behind him, all of this on the heels of releasing their last number 1 hit. He had the voice of Carl Wilson, Al Jardine, even Van Dyke Parks played a role in the album. And it bombed terribly.

Yeah, that album is weak for certain. The singing all around does not sound terribly ambitious to me, although there are a few pleasant moments. It came off as a lazy contribution. Forever and Surfin' did not have to be remade at all. With that said, I am not certain that an album with the 'fun in the sun' theme would not work. Just not the selections that were on 'Summer In Paradise'. The idea I posed was to have other outside writers (or even a contest where other people) write Beach Boys style songs and Mike's band did all the work. Mike would only have to co-write and sing. It is basically what Brian did for the band anyways.

I think the problem with Mike's songwriting for the last couple (few) decades is a lack of sincerity.

Probably. He is going through the motions for sure, but maybe he needs some material to excite him into believing in it? Sad to entertain the thought that he would not recognize that a good song sung with sincerity will probably make money. Even the Boys early 'throwaway songs' were sung beautifully and with so much enthusiasm that it brought the songs up a notch or two. 

But consider that there are catchy songs about summer and it is typically the Beach Boys early hits that people buy as a soundtrack to their summer. Those are the compilation albums that pop up all the time with the same ol' same ol' songs about the beach, surfing, cars and girls. They throw in Good Vibrations, God Only Knows, Kokomo and Darlin' from time to time because they make you feel good.

I could actually imagine the Beach Boys singing a song like Sheryl Crow's Soak Up The Sun with some measure of success. Catchy tune with harmonizing and a section at the end where most of the instruments drop out. I believe songs in this style would work better than anything from 'Summer in Paradise'. I would expect most people think something very close to the music that Mike wants when they buy a Beach Boys album. He just is not capable of writing consistently good lyrics or an album's worth of catchy music by himself. Neither of those comments is a dig at Mike. Brian often sought outside help with lyrics, but he sure could write catchy tunes.

I heard that writing is like exercising a muscle and the more you do it, the easier it becomes. Not everything will be great, but odds are there will more workable ideas with more material. But even with all that considered - with the best choices of songs written and recorded - would it be even reasonably successful with Mike's name only?

The life suite was a glimpse at that. Christ, can you imagine if they just released one album of that material? It would've gone to #1.

I agree that it was the best part of the album and I would love to hear the life suite in it's entirety. People who love Brian and his writing mostly agree that the last 3-4 songs on TWGMTR were stunning and worth the price of the album, but I am not sure that the general public would have embraced an entire album of depressing songs, regardless of how honest they were. I think those three songs got about zero radio play - and answer this honestly - do you think that exact same album with only Brian's name as a solo artist would have charted as high? How much did the nostalgia for the first Beach Boys album in many years factor into it?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 08:43:03 AM »

Yeah, that album is weak for certain. The singing all around does not sound terribly ambitious to me, although there are a few pleasant moments. It came off as a lazy contribution. Forever and Surfin' did not have to be remade at all. With that said, I am not certain that an album with the 'fun in the sun' theme would not work. Just not the selections that were on 'Summer In Paradise'. The idea I posed was to have other outside writers (or even a contest where other people) write Beach Boys style songs and Mike's band did all the work. Mike would only have to co-write and sing. It is basically what Brian did for the band anyways.

TWGMTR had somewhat (if not mostly) a "fun-in-the-sun" theme and it made it to #3 on Billboard...which is a huge accomplishment. I concede that fun-in-the-sun does work for success, but I guess my point is that the life-suite is the part that will be best remembered (edit, to clarify I mean out of all their modern day work the life suite will be remembered best. Their early stuff will always be what people will hear first). I heard the title song from TWGMTR on my local rock station a couple times, but what stands out are those final 3 songs (and I no longer hear the title song on the radio anymore). That Life Suite will be a Pet Sounds moment for casual fans who delve into the catalog years down the road. The fun-in-the-sun nature of TWGMTR doesn't have the potential of making these guys prolific in the longterm - but the heartfelt songs at the end do have that potential.

I can see how fun-in-the-sun would work if Mike were to write a song about a day at the beach in his old age, sitting on a blanket watching the waves crash and the wind breeze by while he thinks about the beauty of the world....could work well with your S Crow 'Soak up the Sun' idea. But for these guys to pretend they're surfin in their 70s is ridiculous...which half the fans don't buy anyways, even if it does fit the band's image.

I guess to better clarify my point regarding your initially posted question: in order for Mike to be a modern prolific writer (as I think he has solidified his status as an integral part of being a successful writer for the band in the early days), he (and the rest of the actual band) need to follow the Johnny Cash route. And, just my opinion but he could not do this without Brian Wilson or the Beach Boys name. And I don't think he could do this with his current band, or to sound less offensive: to achieve prolific status again these guys need to get down to the bare bones of honesty when it comes to writing and to the instrumentals they make....which means they need to drop the lyric cliches and stereotypical backing tracks.

Honestly at this point in their lives I don't think such a thing is possible. Brian, deep down, is obsessed with moog and rock (and you can hear this in his soundchecks from time to time when he's really into it), and that honesty is what his fans clamor for. Deep down I know Mike has it in him to write some amazing lyrics, but I wonder if he'd be open to Brian recording with a fuckin moog at full blast. But this is where an amazing producer comes in: A producer with the balls to step between these guys and the management and just find a way to pull that magic out of the hat again.

The absolute only way I see Mike gaining modern day prolific status is if a damn good producer were to bring (whats left of) the original Beach Boys together. A producer that would walk the tight-rope between feuding band-mates, feuding ideas, feuding managers, etc, and walk across with a beautiful album in-tact. Mike would have to understand that his genuine songwriting from the Sunflower era would need to be restored. The work in "the room" would have to somehow be made possible. Mike would have to be open to all of Brian's quirky ideas.

On a side note. I think your idea about Mike working with modern day songwriters in is a good idea. Brian kinda did this during his promotional campaign surrounding NPP: he did a lot of work with indie bands for Capitol, and all of it is damn good - Mini Mansions "Any Emotion" is a perfect example of a member of the Beach Boys working with a young band. It's somewhat along the lines of your idea, though with Mike more involved from a writing aspect I can see any project turning out well as long the subject didn't get bogged down with sunny nostalgia (Mike actually made an appearance in a music video of a female singer who did a nostalgic Beach Boys-esque song, I don't think it went too far. But I don't think his involvement went further than making an appearance in a video).

This post is all over the place and I apologize haha. Thanks for your well thought out response to my post and I'll be back later for more discussion. I really do hope these guys regain prolific status in their latter years, they deserve it, and I know they have it in them to stand on top one more time.

Forgot to answer your last question: Had it been solely Brian's name on TWGMTR, it would've charted high, but not as high as with the Beach Boys name (I'd guess, since TLOS hit 21 I think, that TWGMTR would've hit around 10-15?). That Beach Boys name still carries with it a ton of momentum.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:35:13 AM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 09:50:40 AM »

But for these guys to pretend they're surfin in their 70s is ridiculous...which half the fans don't buy anyways, even if it does fit the band's image.

Yeah, even if they sing the surfing songs about someone else rather than themselves, it tends to fall flat (Still Surfin'). I feel for these guys though. As we get older, we are expected to act our age otherwise we look ridiculous. I went to college when I was 49-52 years old - and talk about standing out! I would be talking to a much younger classmate as we walked through the halls and I would not think twice about it, until I caught my reflection in a vending machine glass and it put things into perspective. Damn, even if we feel young on the inside and are young at heart we are judged by appearance. Now, I am 55 years old this year and I still act like a 7-year-old.  But it is way more fun than sitting at a table with people my age acting like geezers discussing their medical problems.  Cheesy

I think that in some ways, the advent of the music video hurt bands like The Beach Boys. Keeping in mind that they never looked particularly comfortable in music videos. Likewise, I can remember watching a Cars concert before Benjamin Orr died, and hearing him sing Let's Go and it sounded fine, but was creepy with the visual. This old dude singing about a 17 year old girl who doesn't wear her shoes. It is true what you say, but it is too bad it has to be like that. If the music is good, it should stand alone without the image of the band/person singing it muddying up everything.

Alas, everything is visual nowadays. I cannot look at the news on my computer without a video popping up. If I wanted to watch the news, I have a huge television for that. I just want to read - but I am afraid that will soon meet the fate that schools gave when they started dropping cursive writing. But I digress...

Mike would have to be open to all of Brian's quirky ideas.
Don't you think Mike would have learned by now, that is what makes Brian so endearing.  Grin Many of his quirky ideas are successful. I don't expect Brian and Mike to be a hit machine nowadays, but I think that they may be capable of writing some interesting stuff. Like you alluded to, the deep, honest music appeals to the hardcore fans and if they have some catchy tunes, people buying the album for that style will be introduced to what real heartfelt, introspective music sounds like. There is room for both. Oh, and more Al vocals too.

(Mike actually made an appearance in a music video of a female singer who did a nostalgic Beach Boys-esque song, I don't think it went too far.
Probably because everyone was thinking, this is a great video, except for that old "Uncle Mike" dude. Geez, that song does owe a lot to the Beach Boys from the You're So Good To Me riff, to the song references to California Girls, Good Vibrations, Don't Worry Baby and God Only Knows...

This post is all over the place and I apologize haha. Thanks for your well thought out response to my post and I'll be back later for more discussion. I really do hope these guys regain prolific status in their latter years, they deserve it, and I know they have it in them to stand on top one more time.
Intelligent posts and discussions like this are what keep me here. Thanks for that.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 12:53:21 PM »

For Mike to be successful as a songwriter these days, he would need a partner that would be blunt with him and push him to write at a higher level.  Brian Wilson is not that person.  At his age and in light of his prior statements, I doubt Mike is motivated to spend the time necessary to craft a song that works on a creative level. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 11:34:19 PM »

I don't think Mike has any great desire to record a full album anymore. He's fine with just releasing the occasional song online, i'm sure he knows that a Mike Love album is not going to be a big seller in 2017. Brian's albums usually have decent first week sales, then drop off the charts very fast. But if Mike is serious about releasing a solo album, the best bet would to self-release it and sell it at Beach Boys concerts. It would probably sell pretty well as a souvenir at shows. Maybe he could put out a comp, a sort of best of, going back to his first solo recordings in the 70's, all the way up to the present.
I wonder if Al will ever do another album?
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 03:38:11 PM »

He would be a more prolific writer as a BB, except Brian would probably still refuse to write with him for the most part.  So no, he would not be a more prolific writer as a BB!
KDS
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 06:23:44 PM »

We have been hearing about Mike Love's unreleased songs for many years. Some are better than others for certain. Some of the folks here on the Smiley Smile board feel Mike did not have much creative input toward the harmonies in Beach Boys songs. I would not necessarily agree with them as I think that just by being in the Beach Boys for so long, you would have a better understanding of harmonies than most. Plus, I feel Mike can be a talented lyricist/vocalist, especially under the right conditions, and he could add interesting vocal hooks to the songs to make them stand out a little more.

Mike surrounds himself with decent musicians and people who can duplicate Beach Boys background vocals well enough. He has written with outside writers plenty of times, so does not really need Brian to release new music. There have to be people who could write/co-write great Beach Boys-sounding songs.

Theoretically, other folks could write some decent fun/sun/girls/cars Beach Boys-sounding songs the way Mike wants them, and do all the studio work so Mike only has to drop in his vocals. Mike's voices - both lead and bass - are very recognizable as to belonging to the Beach Boys. Mike is clearly not a lazy person, as he works his ass off touring.

I am sure he could hold another contest where starving bands could send him demos of songs - and they would be happy just to get their names out there. Mike could pick the ones he likes, add some parts and change a few words and have exactly what he wanted song-wise.

One key factor that I think may hinder a Mike Love/Beach Boys-sounding album is the name. If he could release new music under the Beach Boys name, it would probably get a whole lot more attention. I am not advocating this, because a Beach Boys album really needs multiple inputs to be a great album, and one of those inputs should be Brian Wilson, of course. Even some of Al's stuff could work.

The point is that I am not saying I want Mike to release a Beach Boys album if that was possible, but I was wondering if the fact that it has to be released under the name "Mike Love" would make a great deal of effort yield poor results.

I think absolutely.  I think Mike and his touring band could easily put together a decent summer album.  But, without the name, I dont see it happening.   

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 09:18:10 PM »

I think absolutely.  I think Mike and his touring band could easily put together a decent summer album.  But, without the name, I dont see it happening.  

i actually had to look up the word "prolific" to see if I had the definition right. I've been writing everything in this thread under the assumption that prolific meant profound and memorable. Whereas it apparently actually means "high output".

I have no doubt that Mike and his band could knock out a breezy summery album full of the cliches we've come to expect from Mike. I thought OP's question is more about what kind of an album (and circumstances) could make Mike a legendary writer again. Mike's band is talented as hell, and Mike has the ability to still write lyrics...but all the talent (and the name of The Beach Boys) can't make one become more legendary.

Mike had the band name for his Summer in Paradise album and this was some of the sh*t he helped write:

"Yeah I'll take you to the movies
But I'm no fool
First I'll get you on the beach
Or in a swimming pool
Doing unto others is the golden rule
But doing it with you would be so
Very cool"

If OP does mean "would Mike release more content under The Beach Boys name?" I can't say that it would help Mike. SIP being an example. No one would touch that material - SiP is your summer album and it tanked because there is no genuinity to it. And no record company would ask for more material like that. So I can't say that Mike and his band alone (even with The Beach Boys name) could actually create enough interest from record companies to incentivize an ongoing output of songs.

Which, regardless if I was writing my posts under the assumption that prolific meant something else, brings me back to my points above: to make oneself worth a record company's time to pay to you write more content, you have to write music that will sell. These days, aging artists have to sell genuine honesty. Glen Campbell wrote his last song (about his Alzheimer's?) and it sparked the creation of a movie and tons of interest in his work.

I love that scene from the Walk the Line movie where Sam Philips asks Cash "if you were lying in a ditch a minute from death and you had time to sing one last song to the world, what would it be? That's the kind of song I wanna hear" - if more artists and their managers followed that line of thought we wouldn't have SIP and we wouldn't have most of the sh*t we have on the radio these days.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:19:58 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 05:01:30 AM »

Maybe the title for the thread should have included said “writer/co-writer” to be accurate as well.

When Mike writes under the stigma of his own name, with few exceptions the recordings never really make it onto an official album (and rightfully so). I am not saying I want an album full of songs like Wrinkles, because …well, you know why. Mike can write music, but it is not always music that people want to hear. He has dropped some sonic boners on us, for certain.

I think Summer In Paradise was lazy writing and a poor selection of tracks put out to capitalize on the success of the laid-back sound of Kokomo. Too little, too late and like rab2591 stated, it does not feel sincere. But you can still sing songs written by others and have them sound sincere.

Knowing that no matter what you do, an album released under your own (often hated) name will fail, why should Mike bother to write anything new?

Mike said he does not like to work in the studio. My scenario took that away from him opening more time to maybe listen to what some other writers come up with as songs in the Beach Boys style, that Mike could tweak into Beach Boys songs. 

I am wondering if Mike thought, “Hey, these are really good songs” – would that spark him to want to write more material? Not that all (or any) of it would have to be released, but if he wrote enough songs that were halfway decent (and that is the key idea here) and could release them under the Beach Boys name, would he simply write more material? Again, not expecting 100% of it to be released - maybe none of it will, but out of the 100%, maybe 10% can be pretty decent and put aside for a eventual Beach Boys album.

I think a reasonable follow-up question to that would be, "if he approached Brian with some high-quality completed demos that Brian could rework and add his  arrangements to, would that help take the load off Brian and nudge him towards wanting to work with Mike again?" Brian's writing style is different now and he basically said "That is not how writing is done anymore" when asked if he was aware of Mike wanting to sit down with him alone in a room and write. I am not sure if Brian ever said how it is done nowadays, though.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 07:53:15 AM »

I'm not, the world's not, and I don't think many here are not anxiously tapping our collective feet anticipating anything new from the luHvster. He's too chickenshit to release anything under his own moniker in spite of his still ever expanding ego. If his efforts are anything reminiscent of what he has released in the past whether it be BB's or solo, he knows it won't chart, get airplay, and will unmercifully tank itself out of existence. Sorry, myKe, looks like you'll have to keep touring 400 times a year to make the kinda living you're used to but it's not gonna be selling records.  LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 09:49:54 AM »

I've often wondered how pissed (or maybe not all that pissed?) Mike was/is at the fact that he was not given the legal right to record/release material under The BBs name. Curious to know if he actually wanted to but got rejected. That could also be another piece of the resentment puzzle, even though I haven't exactly heard him say anything about being mad that he can't record/release material under The BBs name.

What were the parameters of releasing BB music in Carl's lifetime and during the Landy era? Did Brian have to give any sort of signoff on SIP being released, or was that just put out without Brian's consent/knowledge?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx