gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:41:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson's Bambu is getting a vinyl release for RSD '17.  (Read 21741 times)
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2017, 05:41:35 AM »

I picked up my copy a few hours ago too.  This is a pretty damn well-done vinyl, glad to have found it.
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2017, 07:34:06 AM »

I went and got mine as well!! Looks really nice, going to be playing it all day  Cool Guy
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2017, 10:50:58 AM »

Sadly my local store didn't have it.. going to have to order it.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2017, 11:15:30 AM »

I went to 6 record store today.  I picked up a few extra copies of Bambu if anyone wants (of course I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada so shipping might be a bit pricey) but if anyone wants to trade and has some neat-o stuff, PM and lets make a deal!  I am enjoying the tunes and the packaging thus far.  Cool to have as I missed out on the reissue of POB that came with this material the first time.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2017, 12:13:25 PM »

Could anyone who already got it take some photos? Smiley
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2017, 12:15:22 PM »

Yeah, looking at the new cover again, I can definitely see its merits. I'm just not a fan of the small "(The Caribou Sessions)" underneath the title, it makes the album feel more like a compilation than an actual "finished" album like I'd want it to be considered as. Nothing a little time in photoshop can't fix though!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2017, 02:28:49 PM »

Yeah, looking at the new cover again, I can definitely see its merits. I'm just not a fan of the small "(The Caribou Sessions)" underneath the title, it makes the album feel more like a compilation than an actual "finished" album like I'd want it to be considered as. Nothing a little time in photoshop can't fix though!

But it's not a finished album. I think the subtitle is appropriate given the circumstances.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2017, 06:59:46 PM »

But it's not a finished album. I think the subtitle is appropriate given the circumstances.

Yeah, I know. I guess I was kinda thinking of something like the Smile Sessions. Despite being an unfinished album, nowhere on the cover does it mention anything about being The Smile Sessions, it's just SMiLE by The Beach Boys. It gives off the impression that it's an actual album as opposed to a compilation album or whatever. Hopefully I'm making sense here, because it definitely makes sense in my head!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2017, 11:18:28 PM »

This is a superbly completed set. I'm thoroughly pleased! Picked it up this morning at my local joint with Elton's expanded live album & the Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane single. A great day!
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2017, 06:15:13 AM »

Okay!  Pardon my low-fi cameraphone.

I was pretty excited that I could find it in my somewhat backwoods part of the world.  It has a few tracks that I hadn't heard before.  The original Love Surrounds Me was a surprise.  The love put into this project is apparent in the liner notes and the overall presentation.  The vinyl is beautiful and the layout is excellent.  It really sounds great. 
Unfortunately I think that it suffers in a few ways.  First, for a double LP I think that 16 tracks is a little weak.  I know that there were at least a few more tracks that could have been used on it to make it a true anthology.  Or, trim off a couple and just make it a single LP.  Secondly, this really, really (how many times can I say really?  not enough.) has some sequencing problems.  The running order on 1A from It's Not Too Late to School Girl is so bad and jarring to me, the likes of which I haven't heard since The Warmth Of The Sun --> This Car Of Mine.  And then going right back to Love Remember Me is just silly.  And on 2A, to end it on I Love You --> Constant Companion is unsatisfying and also unnecessarily jarring.  Constant Companion is just screaming "first song on one of the sides", and to spend it at the end of 2A is a missed opportunity.  I am not sure why they chose to sequence it this way, I don't think it is a chronological thing, but who knows.  On the flipside, ending 1B with Are You Real was a great choice, if not pretty obvious.
The final track was a very emotional listen for me.  I absolutely loved it.  It was honestly the highlight of the record for me and I would bet that it will make some of you get real misty eyed.  Overall I am very glad that I bought this.  "Thank you" and "I want to hang out with you sometime" to Jim Guercio.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2017, 06:23:01 AM »

I bought it, a great companion to POB.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2017, 11:57:56 AM »

My copy comes via ebay from Italy, 31 Euro, that´s cheap.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2017, 01:01:37 PM »

Okay!  Pardon my low-fi cameraphone.

I was pretty excited that I could find it in my somewhat backwoods part of the world.  It has a few tracks that I hadn't heard before.  The original Love Surrounds Me was a surprise.  The love put into this project is apparent in the liner notes and the overall presentation.  The vinyl is beautiful and the layout is excellent.  It really sounds great. 
Unfortunately I think that it suffers in a few ways.  First, for a double LP I think that 16 tracks is a little weak.  I know that there were at least a few more tracks that could have been used on it to make it a true anthology.  Or, trim off a couple and just make it a single LP.  Secondly, this really, really (how many times can I say really?  not enough.) has some sequencing problems.  The running order on 1A from It's Not Too Late to School Girl is so bad and jarring to me, the likes of which I haven't heard since The Warmth Of The Sun --> This Car Of Mine.  And then going right back to Love Remember Me is just silly.  And on 2A, to end it on I Love You --> Constant Companion is unsatisfying and also unnecessarily jarring.  Constant Companion is just screaming "first song on one of the sides", and to spend it at the end of 2A is a missed opportunity.  I am not sure why they chose to sequence it this way, I don't think it is a chronological thing, but who knows.  On the flipside, ending 1B with Are You Real was a great choice, if not pretty obvious.
The final track was a very emotional listen for me.  I absolutely loved it.  It was honestly the highlight of the record for me and I would bet that it will make some of you get real misty eyed.  Overall I am very glad that I bought this.  "Thank you" and "I want to hang out with you sometime" to Jim Guercio.

Thank you! i love it how the green is overwhelming, it's a nice balance in effect to Pacific Ocean Blue with its beach and whole water, this compliments Dennis, as a lover of nature.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2017, 03:59:13 PM »

Could of had more pics. But oh well. Let's keep scraping that barrel. Want more unreleased stuff. No more surfin USA for the 210th time.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:52:48 PM by lostbeachboy » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2017, 09:23:37 PM »

I was fortunate enough to pick up a vinyl copy of my own. But I haven't opened it yet.  And I am thinking of keeping it sealed.

Does anyone know if any of the mixes have been tweaked at all, or if they are identical to how they appeared on the 2008 POB reissue?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2017, 06:28:45 PM »

I'm never anywhere near a town that has a record store on Record Store Day. This weekend was the same as always. However, I called one of our local record stores today to see if they still had Bambu in stock, and they did! Well, they don't any more -- it's now residing at my house.  Grin
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2017, 04:01:36 AM »

I got a copy on Amazon.de for €21.99. Still one seller here selling for €24.55 so be quick - https://www.amazon.de/dp/B06XKWXZT1/ref=pe_386171_37038021_TE_3p_dp_1

Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2017, 10:06:40 AM »

Did you realize that it includes a code for a free digital download ?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2017, 11:27:06 AM »

Also important to keep in mind is that, as with may RSD releases, this is really just a curio collector's item.

You can buy the 2-CD POB Legacy set on Amazon right now for $10.99 (with free immediate MP3 download), and can of course stream the stuff for free and/or cheap.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2017, 11:36:46 AM »

Yeah, I know. I guess I was kinda thinking of something like the Smile Sessions. Despite being an unfinished album, nowhere on the cover does it mention anything about being The Smile Sessions, it's just SMiLE by The Beach Boys. It gives off the impression that it's an actual album as opposed to a compilation album or whatever. Hopefully I'm making sense here, because it definitely makes sense in my head!

I see what you mean. Probably a little easier with Smile because the cover was finished.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2017, 02:21:22 PM »

Waiting on mine to come from Canada brand new and sealed via Amazon as earlier stated via this thread. It was a good job I ordered it when I did---it's over £70 now.  LOL
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2017, 07:10:16 PM »

When you go to redeem the download, the website shows a slight variation on the cover with “The Caribou Sessions” subtitle absent. Perhaps this was an early version of the cover.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
smyleysmyle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2017, 11:31:03 AM »

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing regarding the digital download code?  I bought my copy a few days ago and I have no information inside the packaging showing how to redeem the digital download.  Did I miss it in the liner notes somewhere?

Thanks!
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2017, 12:12:06 PM »

A very small piece of paper that likely slipped to the very bottom of the record sleeve.
smyleysmyle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2017, 01:04:36 PM »

That would explain it.  I haven't fully taken the vinyl out of the sleeves, just enough to peek at the awesome green color.  Thanks, I'll have to look again.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx