gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:58:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson's Bambu is getting a vinyl release for RSD '17.  (Read 21729 times)
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 02:25:04 PM »

I don't, Steve.
Shoulda been Ed.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 02:25:31 PM »

I think it's a valid question to ask whether anyone even asked to peruse the approximately 10 kajillion photos Ed Roach has of Dennis.

This Bambu album cover looks like a cover you'd put on a CD of home demos. It's obviously the music inside that matters, but a "Record Store Day" release with a big 12 inch cover shot could have done better I'd have to guess.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 02:36:03 PM »

It looks like a shitty boot. Horrible font.
Wanna revitalize the Dennis Wilson brand after a decade of NOTHING -- a lousy looking album of previously released (albeit brilliant) material ain't it.

Enough of Dennis being the bum, the loser, the fuc kup -- as that LP cover absolutely portrays.
How about Dennis the ARTIST?

When does THAT angle finally become the most viable?

Sorry to Dean's fans/followers, but that LP cover is lazy and a disservice to that music.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 04:43:16 PM »

It looks like a shitty boot. Horrible font.
Wanna revitalize the Dennis Wilson brand after a decade of NOTHING -- a lousy looking album of previously released (albeit brilliant) material ain't it.

Enough of Dennis being the bum, the loser, the fuc kup -- as that LP cover absolutely portrays.
How about Dennis the ARTIST?

When does THAT angle finally become the most viable?

Sorry to Dean's fans/followers, but that LP cover is lazy and a disservice to that music.

You have some interesting points. What photo would you have wanted them to use for this album cover?
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 04:57:35 PM »

I don't mind the photo, i think it fits it, but yeah the font and the design on the coners is super cheap, and it's a shame cause i think Dean is very talented, Love You is probably the Beach Boys best album artwork after Surf's Up.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:58:14 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 04:58:37 PM »

Pixel --

Should someone cut me a check -- I'll be sure to let them know.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 05:08:14 PM »

Pixel --

Should someone cut me a check -- I'll be sure to let them know.

Hmmmm. Okay. Anyone willing to ponie up Howie's consultation fee so he can expand on his opinion?  LOL
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 06:01:58 PM »

i like the cover! it portrays Dennis being who he was, a fella 'bumming' around with some music.
but then when you hear his stuff, it's like 'wow man! your really, like REALLY great!!!'.
that seems to be the 'tone' to me on this release.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2017, 09:36:22 AM »

Should have gone with something like this one!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2017, 11:09:33 PM »

Does anyone have any idea why Denny chose the title (as well as the spelling) "Bambu"? Interestingly, all the boots I'd had years ago entitled the project "Bamboo", but I assume that the "Bambu" spelling was completely intentional.

For years, I assumed that the title was simply, uh, a reference to Dennis's, um, favourite nickname for himself. Or rather, er... a part of himself. The name of which, perhaps unsurprisingly, he also used to refer to the, ah, whole of himself.

And then we learned that it was supposed to have been Bambu all along, not Bamboo. Which prolly makes the rolling papers connection more likely. Actually, how did that change come about? Was it based on something in the documentation for the sessions, or did the folks behind the 2008 reissue retitle it?

I'm guessing the latter is unlikely, as all the guys behind that set had such regard for Dennis, I can't imagine they would have retitled it unless they had evidence that the man himself had wanted it that way. But now I stop to think about it... I don't actually know the story of how Bamboo became Bambu. If there is one!

Yeah, there was never any doubt in my mind that the title was named after and/or insipired by Bambú rolling papers.

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2017, 01:15:27 AM »

For what it's worth, I like the photo (for this specific album at least, it fits) and the font. What is "Dreamer: The Making of POB" by Ken Sharp, liner notes author? Checked amazon and book sites-nothing.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:06:26 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2017, 03:59:31 AM »

For what it's worth, I like the photo (for this specific album) and the font. What is "Dreamer: The Making of POB" by Ken Sharp, liner notes author? Checked amazon and book sites-nothing.

Found these (no mention of Dreamer though):

"The Making Of Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue" by Ken Sharp, Record Collector Magazine, July 2008

Source (I see a familiar name): http://www.tiptopwebsite.com/custommusic2/craigslowinskicom2.pdf

And more c-man here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/dennis-wilsons-pacific-ocean-blue-appreciation.462689/page-6

Search for Sharp on that page (in a post by Louise Boat).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2017, 07:02:56 AM »

Thanks JK, I had found that piece in my search, but either in incomplete form or somehow didn't read it all the way through. A lot of great background there. Alan Boyd has said that there is a lot of very good Poops/Hubba Hubba material in the archives, and the POB tour rehearsals were tentatively planned for release after the Legacy POB/Bambu, but when it was more successful than anticipated that project was unfortunately indefinitely shelved. Those rehearsals (and the Dennis/Dragon fragments in the vaults) are amazing from all accounts and to me constitute two of the most, if not THE most, compelling potential BB -related releases that will hopefully come to fruition someday. PLEASE!!

Daly, Chicago 1968
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2017, 06:30:55 AM »

Thanks JK, I had found that piece in my search, but either in incomplete form or somehow didn't read it all the way through. A lot of great background there. Alan Boyd has said that there is a lot of very good Poops/Hubba Hubba material in the archives, and the POB tour rehearsals were tentatively planned for release after the Legacy POB/Bambu, but when it was more successful than anticipated that project was unfortunately indefinitely shelved. Those rehearsals (and the Dennis/Dragon fragments in the vaults) are amazing from all accounts and to me constitute two of the most, if not THE most, compelling potential BB -related releases that will hopefully come to fruition someday. PLEASE!!

Only in the universe of BB plans and politics could a release being *more* successful than anticipated ultimately lead to a follow-up release *not* happening.

Howie in one of his earlier posts touched on something that hadn't specifically struck me: It has been a decade of nothing as far as Dennis solo is concerned. Yes, we've had some archival bits here and there on BB releases. But jeez, the POB reissue did so well, why didn't somebody concoct *something* else to put out on the market in the last decade? I dunno, maybe the Sony/Guercio stuff is still bogged down in a ownership/control issues or something. They still should be working *that* out, but in the meantime BRI could have done their own thing with Dennis material.

Wonder if a *decade* later there would still be any buzz putting out that Brian May version of "Holy Man." I'm surprised they haven't reissued POB with that as one single new bonus track as a cash grab if nothing else.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2017, 07:00:20 AM »

Only in the universe of BB plans and politics could a release being *more* successful than anticipated ultimately lead to a follow-up release *not* happening.

Howie in one of his earlier posts touched on something that hadn't specifically struck me: It has been a decade of nothing as far as Dennis solo is concerned. Yes, we've had some archival bits here and there on BB releases. But jeez, the POB reissue did so well, why didn't somebody concoct *something* else to put out on the market in the last decade? I dunno, maybe the Sony/Guercio stuff is still bogged down in a ownership/control issues or something. They still should be working *that* out, but in the meantime BRI could have done their own thing with Dennis material.

Wonder if a *decade* later there would still be any buzz putting out that Brian May version of "Holy Man." I'm surprised they haven't reissued POB with that as one single new bonus track as a cash grab if nothing else.

I think it because they were  making space for the Dennis biopic. But that never happened so everything went flat on the Dennis-front.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2017, 07:18:11 AM »

Absolutely on point HeyJude. How does a project doing well make a similar project then less likely? That makes zero sense.

Also, in terms of scrapped Dennis projects, let us not forget Guercio also wanted to release a new Dennis album entitled Tornado, which he said would include "some recorded tracks Dennis never finished, some remixes of POB, and some unreleased POB."

Such a project has me salivating. But I also know that it has been nearly a decade since POB was reissued, and about half a decade since the book containing that information from Guercio came out, so it honestly looks pretty unlikely that there are any Denny projects in the works.

And just for the record, I have to say, I'd be kind of okay with moving past the POB era. I myself would love to hear if an album's worth of material could be constructed from his late '60s and early '70s material and I really would like to hear what there is of post L.A. (Light Album)* Dennis Wilson recordings, such as the material supposedly recorded with the lovely Christine McVie and of course that enigmatic title, 1982's "Labor Day" which is apparently Dennis' final studio recording, which may be just a track, but also just may have vocals from what has been said on this board from those who would know.

*For those wondering why I picked the L.A. (Light Album) era as a cut off, it seems as though Bambu was pretty much scrapped as an ongoing concern after Denny donated "Baby Blue" and "Love Surrounds Me" (and also attempted "Constant Companion" at a point) to that album.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 07:27:50 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2017, 11:19:45 PM »

Is is certainly counterintuitive that rather than increasing incentive for further releases, the success of POB Legacy decreased the momentum behind the POB rehearsals project. Unfortunately, I can't remember the specifics behind the decision, whether they felt the marketplace was saturated with DW product for the time being (no longer applicable), enough profit was realized to put the urgency of further releases on the back burner, or what.

Daly, Chicago 1968
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2017, 12:33:53 PM »

Howie needs to write liner notes for Dennis releases, he understands the zeitgeist of who Dennis Wilson was better than anybody alive. 

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2017, 05:29:08 PM »

Hi

https://www.amoeba.com/bambu-the-caribou-sessions-record-store-day-lp-dennis-wilson/albums/3925117/
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2017, 04:50:03 AM »

I noticed that they had it on Amazon.co.uk too... for a price. £72.75 for the vinyl.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2017, 07:51:12 AM »

It looks like people were busting on this album cover earlier... I actually love it.  A lot.  The colors are great, the layout makes my eyes start at him, meander around the whole photo and then finally back to the boombox.  Then I look at the whole thing and I kind of see the ivy or whatever that is as angel's wings too.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2017, 08:40:27 AM »

<<It looks like people were busting on this album cover earlier... I actually love it.  A lot.  The colors are great, the layout makes my eyes start at him, meander around the whole photo and then finally back to the boombox.  Then I look at the whole thing and I kind of see the ivy or whatever that is as angel's wings too.>>

The most fascinating thing for me, about that photo:  Dennis is looking off to his left.  Something else has gotten his attention, which is very evocative of the man himself, always moving on to the next thing, yet still anchored to his music in the boom box.

Wait until you see the entire album package.  It's elegant, beautiful and epic.  Simply stunning.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:41:40 AM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2017, 02:02:02 PM »

Just ordered my copy from Amazon - £34.91.
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2017, 11:33:34 PM »

picked up my copy this morning from my local record store in New Zealand DENNIS!!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2017, 04:34:00 AM »

The cover of this release is far, far better than the bamboo background with the small insert picture of Dennis on a beach. Looks far more professional imo.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx