gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:46:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson's Bambu is getting a vinyl release for RSD '17.  (Read 21738 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2017, 03:00:52 PM »

Bambu: The Caribou Sessions.  Double LP, limited to 3000 copies.

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/9522

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 03:25:36 PM »

Bambu: The Caribou Sessions.  Double LP, limited to 3000 copies.

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/9522

So stoked on this. I have got to get my hands on a copy.

Does anyone have any idea why Denny chose the title (as well as the spelling) "Bambu"? Interestingly, all the boots I'd had years ago entitled the project "Bamboo", but I assume that the "Bambu" spelling was completely intentional.

I did just learn from a quick Google search that "bambu" is a type of rolling paper, could that be the origin of Denny's title?:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bambu
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 04:07:01 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5590.0.html
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 04:12:15 PM »

AWESOME
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 04:22:23 PM »

First RSD announcement I have heard in a while that has me excited!
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 04:55:51 PM »

http://recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-releases/rsd-2017/dennis-wilson/

The artwork is here.  I wanna know why it's two discs. What will be on the second LP?
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 05:59:40 PM »

Does anyone know if this will be in Canada? I have to get my hands on this!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 06:02:15 PM »

Woohoo!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 06:06:01 PM »

The artwork is here.  I wanna know why it's two discs. What will be on the second LP?

I would be surprised if it was anything different than what was on disc 2 of the POB set. That tracklist is two LPs worth of music.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 06:25:28 PM »

Has the tracklisting been made available anywhere?

Edit, that was a really stupid question. Obviously it hasn't been made available yet. I really hope there are some extras (not on the POB re-release and a cool tracklist that makes it sound more like an actual album and not just a comp of tracks.

I think I'll listen to POB tonight.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:28:16 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Scaroline No
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 06:34:07 PM »

Rotate This in Toronto tweeted that people have been calling them all day asking if they're getting such-and-such, and that they have ordered "almost every single thing"  being offered for RSD, so fingers crossed... but you could always call your local participating RSD store and find out for sure Smiley
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:35:52 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 07:14:18 PM »

Rotate This in Toronto tweeted that people have been calling them all day asking if they're getting such-and-such, and that they have ordered "almost every single thing"  being offered for RSD, so fingers crossed... but you could always call your local participating RSD store and find out for sure Smiley

Awesome thanks!!
amnesiac
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 01:20:07 AM »

It should be noted that it is listed as a "RSD First Release," meaning that it will be widely available later on.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 02:49:06 AM »

Does anyone have any idea why Denny chose the title (as well as the spelling) "Bambu"? Interestingly, all the boots I'd had years ago entitled the project "Bamboo", but I assume that the "Bambu" spelling was completely intentional.

For years, I assumed that the title was simply, uh, a reference to Dennis's, um, favourite nickname for himself. Or rather, er... a part of himself. The name of which, perhaps unsurprisingly, he also used to refer to the, ah, whole of himself.

And then we learned that it was supposed to have been Bambu all along, not Bamboo. Which prolly makes the rolling papers connection more likely. Actually, how did that change come about? Was it based on something in the documentation for the sessions, or did the folks behind the 2008 reissue retitle it?

I'm guessing the latter is unlikely, as all the guys behind that set had such regard for Dennis, I can't imagine they would have retitled it unless they had evidence that the man himself had wanted it that way. But now I stop to think about it... I don't actually know the story of how Bamboo became Bambu. If there is one!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 03:00:49 AM »

For years, I assumed that the title was simply, uh, a reference to Dennis's, um, favourite nickname for himself. Or rather, er... a part of himself. The name of which, perhaps unsurprisingly, he also used to refer to the, ah, whole of himself.

And then we learned that it was supposed to have been Bambu all along, not Bamboo. Which prolly makes the rolling papers connection more likely. Actually, how did that change come about? Was it based on something in the documentation for the sessions, or did the folks behind the 2008 reissue retitle it?

I'm guessing the latter is unlikely, as all the guys behind that set had such regard for Dennis, I can't imagine they would have retitled it unless they had evidence that the man himself had wanted it that way. But now I stop to think about it... I don't actually know the story of how Bamboo became Bambu. If there is one!

No real story, it seems, just a word of mouth thing that resulted the name getting misspelt on bootlegs and elsewhere: "Bambu has been referenced as 'Bamboo' in numerous articles on Dennis and the Beach Boys, but paperwork that accompanied the sessions now reveals the artist always intended for the album to be titled Bambu."

Source: http://www.pluginmusic.com/news/archive.php?id=3116

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 04:09:33 AM »

Will have to grab a copy of that!  Cool Guy
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 11:55:24 AM »

The website is french but bare with me, you'll find the tracklist of this release here:
http://disquaireday.fr/

Click on "vinyls" and then go to the letter "D" and click on ya boi Dennis Wilson et you'll get the tracklist of this Bambu reissue.

Spoiler; there's no new material, the whole thing is just spread on the two vinyls as in with all that space it gives a less compressed sound, for a better quality audio experience, they've been doing that for a while now, see Dig Out Your Soul by Oasis on vinyl that can fit on just one but that is on two vinyls.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 11:58:25 AM »

Note how the Taylor Hawkins remake of Holy Man is not on it.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 11:20:03 AM »

Note how the Taylor Hawkins remake of Holy Man is not on it.

Wasn't expecting it to, the backing track was recorded in 1974, and of course Taylor Hawkins =/= Dennis Wilson.

I'm glad to see this getting a release, even if its pretty much just the second disc of POB deluxe edition. Although I would have preferred to see them put together something more along the lines of a traditional 12-14 track single LP, it'll still be really neat to actually hold an official vinyl record of Bambu in my hands!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 07:05:46 AM »

One thing I don't get about this release is that there was already a widely distributed version of the POB deluxe edition on LP. I believe it was a triple set and may even still be in print, although it was very expensive.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 07:17:39 AM »

Why not use a beautiful Ed Roach photo for the package?
Seems to be a no brainer.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »

I have an original Booted version of Bamboo from the mid eighties found that a record collector show. It has a beautiful picture of Dennis on the front as well as some back cover photos taken on the beach at the pier. Great photos and the original album jacket. Looking forward to the release
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 08:05:57 AM »

<<Why not use a beautiful Ed Roach photo for the package?
Seems to be a no brainer.>>

Because they are using beautiful Dean Torrence photos for the package.  Dean did the album design for this new release, just as he did for Pacific Ocean Blue, back in the day, and I can't wait to see it.

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »

Wait -- That's a beautiful photo? Him BUSTED with the boom box?
Are you making a case that the 11 Dean Torrence shots of Dennis LOADED that day trumps the brilliance of what Ed Roach has in his archive from 1975 to 1978?

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 02:11:22 PM »

<<Are you making a case that the 11 Dean Torrence shots of Dennis LOADED that day trumps the brilliance of what Ed Roach has in his archive from 1975 to 1978?>>

I don't believe I said any such thing, Howie.  Ed's an excellent photographer.  

Dean's a brilliant graphic artist, Grammy-Award Winning album designer and did some breathtaking photography for Dennis' album... amazing shots.  And that one he picked for the cover, with Dennis sitting next to the boom box, is the perfect choice for Bambu. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 02:13:53 PM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx