gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:47:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chuck Berry has died.  (Read 14149 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2017, 02:25:31 PM »

How Chuck Berry defined a generation of rock ‘n’ roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOeXi7uSTvM

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 04:03:03 PM »

I remember finding a 78 rpm copy of "Johnny B. Goode" in a record store in the summer of '63. I knew this song and this artist had a reputation but that's all. So I and my brother gave it a listen there and then. That was our first taste of just how good rock'n'roll could be. RIP, Chuck.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2017, 12:02:55 AM »

I wanted to post again about Chuck, even though I already did, because I don't feel like it was enough. This is having a bigger impact on me than I ever thought it would. Simply put, the man is directly and indirectly responsible of 99% of the music that has made a huge impact on my life. People call Elvis the "King of Rock & Roll". Nope. Chuck Berry was the king of Rock & Roll. The style of music that would come to be known as Rock & Roll was already taking shape, but Chuck solidified the art form. He was one of the earlier Rock & Roll musicians to write his own words and music. And what a writer he was. "It was a teenage wedding and the old folks wished them well. "It was clear that Pierre did truly love the mademoiselle". Dear God, that is genius! Who would ever think to rhyme the words "wished them well" with "mademoiselle"? I remember a quote from Bruce Springsteen regarding a verse from the song Nadine that goes "I saw her from the corner when she turned and doubled back, and started walkin' toward a coffee colored Cadillac". He said "I've never seen a coffee colored Cadillac, but I know exactly what one looks like!". That sums up Chuck as a lyricist to me. Chuck's words painted a picture that you could clearly visualize in your head. Johnny B Goode is probably the first "local boy done good" guitar hero story.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:09:15 AM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2017, 02:37:47 AM »

People call Elvis the "King of Rock & Roll". Nope. Chuck Berry was the king of Rock & Roll. The style of music that would come to be known as Rock & Roll was already taking shape, but Chuck solidified the art form. He was one of the earlier Rock & Roll musicians to write his own words and music. And what a writer he was. "It was a teenage wedding and the old folks wished them well. "It was clear that Pierre did truly love the mademoiselle". Dear God, that is genius! Who would ever think to rhyme the words "wished them well" with "mademoiselle"? I remember a quote from Bruce Springsteen regarding a verse from the song Nadine that goes "I saw her from the corner when she turned and doubled back, and started walkin' toward a coffee colored Cadillac". He said "I've never seen a coffee colored Cadillac, but I know exactly what one looks like!". That sums up Chuck as a lyricist to me. Chuck's words painted a picture that you could clearly visualize in your head. Johnny B Goode is probably the first "local boy done good" guitar hero story.

Perfectly put. Thanks, Jay.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 02:44:50 PM »

The greatest concert I ever saw was 1995, Chuck Berry and Little Richard at the Puyallup Fair. Both still had it! Chuck opened and went through that great catalog of songs, had a great band backing him up, the love flowed from the stage to the crowd and back. Then Richard came out with his great band and rocked us again. Hard to top that. I've always wanted to be able to sing like Richard - I can't. Always wanted to play guitar like Chuck - well, i'm working on it.
Lucky! You're right that Little Richard is great singer. I dubbed him best rock'n'roll voice. 3D
Yes, even in 2002 - the last time I saw him - he sounded great. Love his piano playing, too.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »

I wanted to post again about Chuck, even though I already did, because I don't feel like it was enough. This is having a bigger impact on me than I ever thought it would. Simply put, the man is directly and indirectly responsible of 99% of the music that has made a huge impact on my life. People call Elvis the "King of Rock & Roll". Nope. Chuck Berry was the king of Rock & Roll. The style of music that would come to be known as Rock & Roll was already taking shape, but Chuck solidified the art form. He was one of the earlier Rock & Roll musicians to write his own words and music. And what a writer he was. "It was a teenage wedding and the old folks wished them well. "It was clear that Pierre did truly love the mademoiselle". Dear God, that is genius! Who would ever think to rhyme the words "wished them well" with "mademoiselle"? I remember a quote from Bruce Springsteen regarding a verse from the song Nadine that goes "I saw her from the corner when she turned and doubled back, and started walkin' toward a coffee colored Cadillac". He said "I've never seen a coffee colored Cadillac, but I know exactly what one looks like!". That sums up Chuck as a lyricist to me. Chuck's words painted a picture that you could clearly visualize in your head. Johnny B Goode is probably the first "local boy done good" guitar hero story.
I don't think it's possible to overstate how great he was. The guitar playing, the lyrics, even the way he sang them. He knew how to phrase what he was singing for maximum impact. And as a live performer - when he had the right musicians behind him - he was hard to beat. He knew how to work a crowd, give them what they want, a lot of charisma and charm.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 12:48:15 PM »

People call Elvis the "King of Rock & Roll". Nope. Chuck Berry was the king of Rock & Roll. The style of music that would come to be known as Rock & Roll was already taking shape, but Chuck solidified the art form. He was one of the earlier Rock & Roll musicians to write his own words and music. And what a writer he was. "It was a teenage wedding and the old folks wished them well. "It was clear that Pierre did truly love the mademoiselle". Dear God, that is genius! Who would ever think to rhyme the words "wished them well" with "mademoiselle"? I remember a quote from Bruce Springsteen regarding a verse from the song Nadine that goes "I saw her from the corner when she turned and doubled back, and started walkin' toward a coffee colored Cadillac". He said "I've never seen a coffee colored Cadillac, but I know exactly what one looks like!". That sums up Chuck as a lyricist to me. Chuck's words painted a picture that you could clearly visualize in your head. Johnny B Goode is probably the first "local boy done good" guitar hero story.

Perfectly put. Thanks, Jay.

I hope I did justice to the man.  Smiley

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 12:59:16 PM »

I don't think it's possible to overstate how great he was. The guitar playing, the lyrics, even the way he sang them. He knew how to phrase what he was singing for maximum impact. And as a live performer - when he had the right musicians behind him - he was hard to beat. He knew how to work a crowd, give them what they want, a lot of charisma and charm.
Amen. I agree with every single thing you said. Seriously, I don't think people realise the enormity of losing Chuck Berry. Maybe some of the older musicians like Paul McCartney or really any surviving member of a band from the "British Invasion". But the majority of people today have no idea who Chuck Berry is, and that's a damn crime. People like Chuck(and Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino Bo Diddly, etc) should be taught in school. People don't appreciate what Chuck meant, and continues to mean, to modern day music.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 01:02:43 PM »

Beautifully stated, Jay

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 03:09:22 PM »

But the majority of people today have no idea who Chuck Berry is, and that's a damn crime. People like Chuck(and Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino Bo Diddly, etc) should be taught in school.

When I hear the sh!t that people who actually should know about it (I mean generally, not necessarily "on this board") are uttering, then I'd rather have everyone find out on his/her own instead of getting "schooled" on it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2017, 09:38:03 PM »

Amen. I agree with every single thing you said. Seriously, I don't think people realise the enormity of losing Chuck Berry. Maybe some of the older musicians like Paul McCartney or really any surviving member of a band from the "British Invasion". But the majority of people today have no idea who Chuck Berry is, and that's a damn crime. People like Chuck(and Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino Bo Diddly, etc) should be taught in school. People don't appreciate what Chuck meant, and continues to mean, to modern day music.
PBS had a really nice special about Fats  acouple years ago; great introduction for those just learning about his music. For Chuck, the go to film is always going to be "Hail! Hail! Rock 'N' Roll" from 1987. They got just about everything you could want to know about the man in that film, and he had the best musicians possible (including Johnny Johnson) backing up him. I wish someone had done something similar with Little Richard while he was still performing, but there is a lot of footage of him out there, so a definitive biofilm could still be made. The mainstream media today is still so much in love with the rock artists of the 60's - Dylan, McCartney, Stones, etc - there is always something to report - a new album, new tour, new release of archive material. The music business turned into a multi-million dollar business during their peak years, somehow the 50's stars were overshadowed by their students.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2021, 10:27:51 AM »

Gibson is proud to present this first-ever Chuck Berry signature model, a replica of his 1955 ES-350T, to honor the legendary career of one of music's greatest innovators. It features historically-correct construction and appointments, hand-picked figured maple, a pair of fiery P-90 pickups, a replica strap and a replica of the Zuni "Sun God" bolo tie that Chuck wore throughout the 1950s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdfZ-jYfT28

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2021, 05:11:26 AM »

Chuck Berry 1970s Gibson ES-355

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XyCDNoV5WY

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2021, 10:30:30 AM »

New Chuck Berry Recording Released: “Let It Rock”

Fans of rock ‘n’ roll and of its greatest participant, Chuck Berry, get ready. On December 17 you can dive into the artist’s new posthumous concert record, Live From Blueberry Hill.

However, today (November 17), a month before the release, fans can check out a sneak peak from the forthcoming LP and listen to the live recording of Berry performing the jam “Let It Rock.”

“I’ve been out here so long, I’ve dwindled down to just: ‘Call me Chuck,’” Berry says before diving into the rocking tune. The crowd laughs and the guitar lines ring out.

According to a statement about the forthcoming live concert record: “Taken from performances recorded between July 2005 and January 2006, Live From Blueberry Hill features Berry tearing through classics like ‘Roll Over Beethoven,’ ‘Sweet Little Sixteen,’ and ‘Johnny B. Goode’ on the stage that he performed on more than 200 times during the final decades of his life.

“With his Blueberry Hill Band — daughter Ingrid Berry on harmonica, son Charles Berry, Jr. on guitar, bassist and band leader Jimmy Marsala, pianist Robert Lohr, and drummer Keith Robinson — in tow, Chuck’s Duck Room performances were a rare opportunity to witness the godfather of rock and roll savoring his own talents and putting a raucous, freewheeling spin on classics that are now permanently woven into the fabric of modern music.”

See the newly released recording from Berry, who Bob Dylan called “the Shakespeare of rock ‘n’ roll,” below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuTM2ZAS2Ro

The performances came together in 1996 when Berry said to Joe Edwards, owner of Blueberry Hill, which opened in 1972, “You know, Joe, I’d like to play a place the size of the ones I played when I first started out.”

After deciding that Blueberry Hill was the place for these shows, Edwards built “The Duck Room,” a new stage named after Berry’s signature stage move. Throughout the next 17 years, Berry would perform 209 shows with his “Blueberry Hill Band,” the longest-running band in his 60-year career, consisting of longtime Berry collaborators and family members, including daughter Ingrid Berry on harmonica and son Charles Berry, Jr. on guitar, along with bassist and bandleader Jimmy Marsala, pianist Robert Lohr, and drummer Keith Robinson.

Berry’s musical accomplishments stretch far and wide. He was the first member inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and he is a recipient of both a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award and a Kennedy Center Honor. And similar to Dylan, John Lennon said that Berry’s name was synonymous with rock and roll itself.

Berry, who died in 2017 at 90 years old, released his final studio album, Chuck, in 2017. He’d released his first album 60 years earlier in 1957.

Throughout the years, artists like Lorde, Motorhead’s Lemmy, Robbie Robertson of The Band, fellow St. Louis native Nelly, and more made the pilgrimage to St. Louis to see Berry perform. He would play his final show at The Duck Room on Oct. 15, 2014, nearly three years before his death.

Live From Blueberry Hill Track List:

1. Roll Over Beethoven
2. Rock And Roll Music
3. Let It Rock
4. Carol / Little Queenie
5. Sweet Little Sixteen
6. Around And Around
7. Nadine
8. Bio
9. Mean Old World
10. Johnny B. Goode

https://americansongwriter.com/new-chuck-berry-recording-released-let-it-rock/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2021, 12:05:41 PM »

Not a lot but still...

Chuck Berry new album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0VteQXvikw

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx