gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:21:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chuck Berry has died.  (Read 14153 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2017, 03:29:06 PM »

A huge legacy this man leaves behind.
https://nytimes.com/2017/03/18/arts/chuck-berry-dead.html
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 04:03:06 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 03:29:46 PM »

Woah... Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 03:32:02 PM »

Damn

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Scaroline No
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 03:34:49 PM »

R.I.P. Mr. Berry. Thank you for being the man who made pretty much ALL THE MUSIC I love possible.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 03:41:29 PM »

You Never Can Tell must be one of the greatest rock songs of all time. His influence on music that came after him cannot be understated. A true pioneer and an inspiration to Brian and the Boys.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 03:50:23 PM »

Just saw it on facebook. Have to look for further info

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 03:57:26 PM »

Chuck was one of rock'n'roll's premier raconteurs (the other was Eddie Cochran).

https://youtu.be/w5ezeUM6c74 

Thank you so much, sir. "More than that I cannot add."

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 03:59:22 PM »

Hadn't heard much from him for ages, then a few weeks ago read he was recording a new album. Always seems to happen like this. Someone re enters your consciouness and then they're gone.

There are so few musicians you can call living legends. He was one.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 04:05:40 PM »

Chuck Berry, wild man of rock who helped define its rebellious spirit, dies at 90

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/chuck-berry-wild-man-of-rock-who-helped-define-its-rebellious-spirit-dies-at-90/2017/03/18/1f2038f6-0c29-11e7-93dc-00f9bdd74ed1_story.html?utm_term=.6c4140284ac9

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »

You Never Can Tell must be one of the greatest rock songs of all time.
Affirmative.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 04:38:06 PM »

You Never Can Tell must be one of the greatest rock songs of all time. His influence on music that came after him cannot be understated. A true pioneer and an inspiration to Brian and the Boys.

Rock! Rock!  Hard to imagine what  would have gone down without him. RIP, Chuck.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 04:39:36 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 05:21:01 PM »

Music as we know it would not exist without Chuck Berry.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 05:51:06 PM »

It's very strange to think of a world without him. He, in many ways, helped create the world that exists today.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 07:08:11 PM »

RIP. Sad
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 08:36:15 PM »

Very sad to hear this.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 08:53:15 PM »

Today, we have lost not just a mere legend, but arguably one of the most important music figures of the 20th Century.

Chuck Berry was somebody who wasn't without controversy. But he was the man who perhaps more than anyone else shaped the burgeoning genre that is Rock & Roll, and may very well have been the single most influential musician and guitarist of the last 70 years.

To me and many others, Chuck was, is and always will be the King of Rock & Roll. He did more for the genre (musically, culturally, lyrically and its definition) than any other person - not to take anything away from the other giants of the genre, such as Little Richard, Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis. Although he was 90 years old, he remained active to the end, working on what would turn out to be his final album - and his first album since 1979.

So much has been said already about Chuck by so many, particularly from later rock icons that came in his wake, and who arguably owe Chuck with their careers. This is why there has been a great outpouring of grief not just from fans and music aficionados, but from all the famous professionals that were influenced by him. We have well and truly lost a musical titan.

In the top tier of rock and roll legends, we are now left with just Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and Fats Domino. Appreciate them while they're still around.

But for now, we shall mourn Chuck Berry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XSaKQlBZuE
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 09:09:01 PM »

Today, we have lost not just a mere legend, but arguably one of the most important music figures of the 20th Century.

Chuck Berry was somebody who wasn't without controversy. But he was the man who perhaps more than anyone else shaped the burgeoning genre that is Rock & Roll, and may very well have been the single most influential musician and guitarist of the last 70 years.

To me and many others, Chuck was, is and always will be the King of Rock & Roll. He did more for the genre (musically, culturally, lyrically and its definition) than any other person - not to take anything away from the other giants of the genre, such as Little Richard, Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis. Although he was 90 years old, he remained active to the end, working on what would turn out to be his final album - and his first album since 1979.

So much has been said already about Chuck by so many, particularly from later rock icons that came in his wake, and who arguably owe Chuck with their careers. This is why there has been a great outpouring of grief not just from fans and music aficionados, but from all the famous professionals that were influenced by him. We have well and truly lost a musical titan.

In the top tier of rock and roll legends, we are now left with just Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and Fats Domino. Appreciate them while they're still around.

But for now, we shall mourn Chuck Berry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XSaKQlBZuE

The greatest concert I ever saw was 1995, Chuck Berry and Little Richard at the Puyallup Fair. Both still had it! Chuck opened and went through that great catalog of songs, had a great band backing him up, the love flowed from the stage to the crowd and back. Then Richard came out with his great band and rocked us again. Hard to top that. I've always wanted to be able to sing like Richard - I can't. Always wanted to play guitar like Chuck - well, i'm working on it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 11:07:23 PM »

Chuck Berry was the original guitar hero. He practically invented the concept. He also wrote his own songs, which was a big deal in the 1950's.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 01:12:57 AM »

A DJ on the radio today said something I had never heard tonight.  He was talking about the Sweet Little Sixteen/Surfin' USA connection/theft.  He said Brian Wilson didn't realize he was ripping Chuck Berry off- Brian figured that the melody and chord structure were so natural, that he thought it was up for grabs.  Kind of like a 500 year-old folk song, or the standard structure of a blues tune. 

Not sure if it's true or not, but it's an interesting perspective. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 01:25:44 AM »

CNN

Legendary musician Chuck Berry dies at 90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq_BT1sd7oc

CBS New York

Remembering Chuck Berry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf0qYLcHhX0

Chuck Berry Dies At 90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lX27ZNgmyw

ET

Music Legend Chuck Berry Dead at 90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlHpHDDxoqI

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:30:46 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 02:04:45 AM »

The greatest concert I ever saw was 1995, Chuck Berry and Little Richard at the Puyallup Fair. Both still had it! Chuck opened and went through that great catalog of songs, had a great band backing him up, the love flowed from the stage to the crowd and back. Then Richard came out with his great band and rocked us again. Hard to top that. I've always wanted to be able to sing like Richard - I can't. Always wanted to play guitar like Chuck - well, i'm working on it.
Lucky! You're right that Little Richard is great singer. I dubbed him best rock'n'roll voice. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 03:10:17 AM »

No Chuck, no rock. Period.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 07:53:48 AM »

I am so sad to hear about Chuck Berry passing - a big inspiration! He will be missed by everyone who loves Rock 'n Roll. Love & Mercy
    — Brian Wilson (@BrianWilsonLive) March 18, 2017

http://pitchfork.com/news/72335-brian-wilson-bruce-springsteen-questlove-more-react-to-chuck-berrys-death/

- Jack Rieley
Scaroline No
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 01:41:29 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/brian-wilson-on-chuck-berry-he-taught-me-how-to-write-rock-w472776
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 02:09:40 PM »

YEP .. Chuck Berry invented rock + roll guitar.. You combine his style with BB King"s style and what have you got..ROCK  + ROLL....
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx