gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:26:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I write the Songs---for Brian?  (Read 2455 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2006, 12:22:00 PM »

i've heard some say that Bruce wrote this for Brian, any evidence behind this? it'd be really cool...and Brian is the ultimate mentor for the rest of the group, espcially Bruce, being the outsider...

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 01:37:20 PM »

i've heard some say that Bruce wrote this for Brian, any evidence behind this? it'd be really cool...and Brian is the ultimate mentor for the rest of the group, espcially Bruce, being the outsider...

Bruce has said it's about the force behind the songs everyone writes.  He said if it's about anyone, it's about God.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 02:59:54 PM »

Of late, Bruce has stated that the song isn't about Brian... but back in the 80s, I distinctly recall at least one interview where he said it was.  Cool

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 03:09:37 PM »

Of late, Bruce has stated that the song isn't about Brian... but back in the 80s, I distinctly recall at least one interview where he said it was.  Cool

Thats also what i heard from bruce. the last years he says its not about brian. Thats Bruce, dont believe everything he says Grin
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 03:46:26 PM »

If it were about Brian, I tend to think he would've written the last verse as "I am BRIAN - and I write the songs".  Seriously, I'm sure he was thinking at least a little of Brian when he wrote it, but probably wanted to make it as universal as possible. 
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 05:33:37 PM »

The song was about "music", notes rhythms etc.....but I still think Bruce had Brian on the brain when he wrote the lyrics, especially this part:

Oh my music makes you dance
And gives you spirit to take a chance
And I wrote some rock 'n' roll so you can move
Music fills your heart
Well, that's a real fine place to start
It's from me it's for you, it's from you, it's for me
It's a worldwide symphony (Pet Sounds)

I tend to overanalyze songs......but I still think the Child/Father/man ending on Surf's up is a message from the guys to Murry.

Carly
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:48:25 PM by carlydenise » Logged

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 05:46:58 PM »

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 07:33:03 PM »

..I think the song could very well have started out being about Brian Wilson, but then moved into a more universal focus. But, great observation on the meaning behind those lyrics. It really seems to fit the BW topic..

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 08:20:39 PM »

I think that Brian has stated at some point that Bruce personally told him that it was about him...can't remember where I read that though.  I think PMcC may be right in that there are parts that were drawn from Brian, but Bruce ultimately decided to make it more universal, rather than just a Brian tribute song.  Lines like "I am music" and "worldwide symphony" seem like they are written with Brian specifically in mind.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 10:50:26 PM »

yeah, that part in the song about dance, chance and rock and roll always makes me think of Brian...it gives me cold chills thinking it's about him

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx