gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:16:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking back on Brian's best studio recordings of the last decade  (Read 6792 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2017, 09:46:04 PM »

Back in 1995, it was difficult for me to get into "Orange Crate Art" that much. But in the last 5-10 years, I've grown to dig it a lot more. It's not perfect. But I like it, and I like that it's only 50% Brian-esque and has Brian singing on stuff that otherwise isn't precisely like what he would do on his own. Yes, VDP's arrangements are sometimes too ornate and the arrangement/production at times sounds a bit, I don't know what to call it, like 5% of the way towards elevator music?

But the songs, the compositions themselves, are mostly quite good, and I think Brian's arrangements and vocal performances are great. Great vocal stacks, even with some technological help (still sounds better than modern-day autotuning). As f**ked up as Brian may have still been only a few years removed from the Landy situation, and yet he still knocks out the arrangement and vocals on something like "San Francisco" that probably nobody else much on this planet could have done just like that.

I still laugh just a bit to myself thinking of the one story of someone back circa 1995 yelling out to Mike at a BB show to do "Orange Crate Art." That makes me laugh for some reason.
It took me a few listens to get into OCA, I guess I was expecting something similar to the 1988 solo album. But after a few listens, it hit me, knocked me out. Thought Brian's vocals were very impressive. And one story about the album always makes me laugh, when Brian asked Van Dyke "why am I singing on this album?" and Van Dyke replied "because I hate the sound of my own voice!"  LOL
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2017, 09:58:03 PM »

Van Dyke's voice is really bad. OCA is well off with Brian.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »

I was compiling a list of my favourite tracks since 2007's What Love Can Do, and was surprised at how much quite a lot of it holds up when you stack most of the best (imo) recordings together:

1. What Love Can Do
2. Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl
3. Southern California
4. Live Let Live (Demo)
5. Midnights Another Day (Demo)
6. The Like In I Love You
7. 'S Wonderful
8. They Can't Take That Away from Me
9. I Got Rhythm
10. Baby Mine
11. Colors Of The Wind
12. Think About The Days
13. That's Why God Made The Radio
14. Isn't It Time
15. Spring Vacation
16. Shelter
17. Strange World
18. From There to Back Again
19. Pacific Coast Highway
20. Summer's Gone
21. Wanderlust
22. This Beautiful Day
23. Whatever Happened
24. The Right Time
25. I'm Feeling Sad
26. One Kind Of Love

On listening through my comp, the past 10 years seem to have been a definite improvement over the preceding 10-15 years of BB related music IMO. (Presents SMiLE excepted)

Anyone else find more enjoyment in Brian's modern solo work than most 80s-90s recordings? How do his most recent recordings compare to his previous eras?

Is this the same thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-8DQ9Rqkm4

if so, aahhh that demo's lush, whats the best boot to search for of this album? didnt know about it mmmmm
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 11:36:58 PM »

Van Dyke's voice is really bad. OCA is well off with Brian.
Yes. Love the "wall of Brian's" on that album. And Van Dyke wrote some lovely melodies for that album. They are quite challenging songs to sing - yes, I do sing along with that album.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 11:40:27 PM »

'orange crate art' the song, is really a great challenge to decipher. it's very complex.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2017, 03:34:02 PM »

I think OCA, the song and the album, were both pretty much perfect!  Always loved the Gershwin instrumental at the end, seems a proper coda for the album, given its two progenitors....
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2017, 11:21:14 PM »

I think OCA, the song and the album, were both pretty much perfect!  Always loved the Gershwin instrumental at the end, seems a proper coda for the album, given its two progenitors....
Absolutely! Sure would love to hear the outtakes from the sessions.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2017, 03:40:07 AM »

Great thread! Sam's and Maggie's excellent lists highlight how much great music we have had from "solo" Brian.

My only (minor) gripe is that nobody seems to remember that masterpiece of a cover that is "Listen to Me" from the Buddy Holly tribute album. Easily the equal of Brian's amazing "Wanderlust", imho.

Amd "Wanderlust" brings me to a point I think it's never been made before. That is, the influence of British music on Brian. Some times ago I made a compilation with my fav songs from TWGMTR and NPP and was susprised in realising that, if it reminded me of any other artists, it was the Moody Blues. The melodies, the harmonies, the lush arrangements, the overall soft, mellow ambience with some mild psychedelic overtones...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:58:09 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx