gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:40:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When was Pet Sounds out of print?  (Read 5936 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 11, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »

I was thinking about how iconic Pet Sounds is ... and my mind wandered back to an era in which it may have been less appreciated on a mass scale.

It seems there were periods of time in which Pet Sounds was out of print. I would guess around 1969-71, and possibly the late '70s? Maybe even mid-late '80s?

We have the original release in print 1966-19??, the So Tough reissue 1972-197?, the single Reprise reissue 1974-197?, the Capitol reissue 1980-19??, then the CD release in 1990 (and various reissues in print since then).

I'm guessing the original Capitol release was out of circulation by 1969 because Capitol retired the rainbow label sometime around mid-1969 and Pet Sounds was never released on the orange label. But I suppose it's possible it was withdrawn prior to 1969, or maybe even sold into 1970 (or later?) with the existing rainbow label.

Anyone know?

EDIT: I found a post from an old thread on the Hoffman board in which someone indicated that ALL of the original BB records were deleted in mid-1969 except Best of (Vols 1 & 2) and Little Deuce Coupe ... I guess that tells us which records sold the best in the '60s.

I'm not sure that's 100% true, as I've seen Surfer Girl, Concert, etc. on the later Capitol labels ... but that might have happened a little later, along with the weird repackages. But clearly, Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends, Stack-O-Tracks, Best of Vol 3, and 20/20 were gone by 1970. Kind of unusual that 20/20 is not more rare. Friends actually seems to be the least common original issue in my experience (I've actually run into more copies of Stack than Friends over the years).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:05:36 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 01:37:35 PM »

In this 89 interview carl mentions its out of print because landy wanted producer credit
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15607.msg369021.html#msg369021
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 02:23:56 PM »

In this 89 interview carl mentions its out of print because landy wanted producer credit

Wow

Fascinating read otherwise, thanks a lot for the link
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 02:42:22 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 02:44:49 PM »

Wow, that's a great interview ... Carl was very candid.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 03:29:24 PM »

I know PS was out of print when I started getting into the group in 1980. I was reading David Leaf's book on the bus to and from school. Checked Tower Records, Peaches, Budget Tapes and Records, nobody had PS. I vividly recall the day in summer 1981 when I walked into Tower, and there it was, A Capitol Value, $3.99. Took it home and let it change my life. There followed a whole bunch "Capitol Value" reissues of BB's albums, but most had a couple songs deleted. I didn't want those versions. Beach Boys Concert, Party, Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends and 20/20 were released intact, so I grabbed those, hard to believe, only $3.99 each. The others I had to track down at various used record stores. I have a version of Surfin' USA with a yellow Capitol label (similar to the orange one on most 1970's releases). Sometime in the late 80's I found a copy of Surf's Up in a bargain bin at Fred Meyer for 99 cents. Those were fun times, trying to complete my BB's collection.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 03:44:04 PM »

I know PS was out of print when I started getting into the group in 1980. I was reading David Leaf's book on the bus to and from school. Checked Tower Records, Peaches, Budget Tapes and Records, nobody had PS. I vividly recall the day in summer 1981 when I walked into Tower, and there it was, A Capitol Value, $3.99. Took it home and let it change my life. There followed a whole bunch "Capitol Value" reissues of BB's albums, but most had a couple songs deleted. I didn't want those versions. Beach Boys Concert, Party, Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends and 20/20 were released intact, so I grabbed those, hard to believe, only $3.99 each. The others I had to track down at various used record stores. I have a version of Surfin' USA with a yellow Capitol label (similar to the orange one on most 1970's releases). Sometime in the late 80's I found a copy of Surf's Up in a bargain bin at Fred Meyer for 99 cents. Those were fun times, trying to complete my BB's collection.

Thanks for those stories - I really enjoy reading this type of stuff.

Record-hunting was more interesting pre-internet in my experience too! I was lucky to find most of the BB records at local shops where I grew up in Phoenix throughout the '90s when I first got into the BB at age 12-13. Imagine my surprise when I thought I had collected all of their records ... but then I found a copy of Keepin' the Summer Alive for $2 at Zia Records (apparently all of the books I had were either written before this record came out or failed to mention it)!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 04:28:59 PM »

What a scummy act from Landy.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 04:51:37 PM »

Landy did end up getting a credit on the 1990 CD reissue as "Executive consultant of CD remastering".  Undecided

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 04:57:50 PM »

Landy did end up getting a credit on the 1990 CD reissue as "Executive consultant of CD remastering".  Undecided
that guy did get pretty control f***ed didn't he? 
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 05:50:10 PM »

well it's not out of print now lol, now its a case of 'which version do I get'?  LOL Cool Guy
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 06:01:14 PM »

that guy did get pretty control f***ed didn't he? 

It's so beyond unbelievable that this goon weaseled his way onto the credits of a then-24 year old classic album.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 06:52:41 PM »

yup, I can get the argument of song credits etc during his period with Brian a little more,
but he had nothing to do with Brian in 66'.  Landy sure did become a bad egg.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 10:56:02 PM »

One time at a flea market i came upon M.I.U, had no motivation of getting it, but hell, if i can get the record that has My Diane on it for just one dollar, why not i ain't gonna die for it

But it's only once home i actually thought of checking the vinyl inside (which i always do usually) and surprise, the dude left Surf's Up in it! what a nice treat, definitely makes it up for it.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 10:57:03 PM »

Thank god i don't own this copy, i hope the others reedition sold more than this
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 12:01:56 AM »

The part that struck me is when Carl said that there's only so many time you can go "Brian? Oh, he's ok". I also think it's interesting that Carl actually acknowledged the "Australia incident". Although he denied using heroin. I think we need more journalists like the guy in this interview. Somebody who is not shy about asking questions most people would skip. 

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 12:53:11 AM »

The part that struck me is when Carl said that there's only so many time you can go "Brian? Oh, he's ok". I also think it's interesting that Carl actually acknowledged the "Australia incident". Although he denied using heroin. I think we need more journalists like the guy in this interview. Somebody who is not shy about asking questions most people would skip. 

I don't read a tons of interviews, but i gotta say i'm impressed over the last ones i came across, the 95 Brian one during the Paley era and now this, is there any more fascinating interviews like these, where it gets more personal and evocative, more "real"?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 07:10:43 AM »

Middle part of the 80's, or maybe a few years prior to the CD reissue like 87-88, I had a Pet Sounds experience that put the album in my younger mind's perspective and finally got resolved when the reissue came out. We had a small place on this lake in Luzerne County PA which used to be a much more active summer getaway kind of place but had fallen off. Apparently another lake nearby was similar, but would play host to the New York mob in the 60's and 70's and had all these big secluded summer houses where they'd go, including an amusement park...until the 80's when the NY mob got broken up by the feds.

But anyway...

There was this small local paper that I'd buy to read the classified ads, and one issue there was an ad in the "wanted" section where someone was asking if anyone had a copy of the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" album available. I thought..."hmmm, why would someone be advertising for that particular album?". My experience with the Beach Boys was the usual well-known stuff, I was just getting into records and collecting and knew Pet Sounds wasn't the "Butcher Cover" or some mono Pepper deal, and kept thinking why would someone pay to place an ad looking for this particular Beach Boys album? It must be special. I knew it wasn't showing up at the yard sales or flea markets or even the stores where I was buying other bands and where Endless Summer was a constant presence.

Then a few years later, it all became clear and also changed my life and the way I think about creating music. But it shows that if someone were looking for a copy of the album and paid to place a want ad for it, at least in those years before the reissue campaign it was not readily available. And it definitely wasn't in the "new" record stores like Sam Goody or Wall To Wall in my area, whereas the Beatles section was fully stocked with the 60's Capitol reissue vinyls and cassettes before their reissue CD campaign and also the BB's section was stocked with any number of the Greatest Hits vinyls. But never Pet Sounds until the CD as far as I can remember, and I was at the malls and shops on a weekly basis going through the racks.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:11:45 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 10:55:15 PM »

Thanks for those stories - I really enjoy reading this type of stuff.

Record-hunting was more interesting pre-internet in my experience too! I was lucky to find most of the BB records at local shops where I grew up in Phoenix throughout the '90s when I first got into the BB at age 12-13. Imagine my surprise when I thought I had collected all of their records ... but then I found a copy of Keepin' the Summer Alive for $2 at Zia Records (apparently all of the books I had were either written before this record came out or failed to mention it)!
Yeah, it was an interesting time to live through. I remember seeing all those crummy Capitol compilations with titles like Fun, Fun, Fun (Shut Down Vol. 2 minus a couple songs), California Girls (Summer Days minus 2 songs), I couldn't understand why the BB's catalog was so butchered when I could easily walk on down to the store and find any of the American Beatles albums still in print. It was very exciting when the two-fer cd's came out - complete albums PLUS bonus tracks! Was nice to see other collectors getting into BB's music again.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 06:52:32 AM »

When Carl is asked in that 1989 interview about PS, I believe the interviewer is referencing the first *CD* release of PS. It had already been released in Japan as of 1989, but didn't get the big main worldwide/US release on CD until 1990.

But I don't know if PS was completely out of print in 1989. I recall buying a brand new copy on cassette (just to have for portable listening) around 1987 or so.

I don't know when all of the Capitol stuff went out of print on vinyl in the 80s (or if it did), but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that stuff stayed in print on cassette during the period of time after vinyl fell out of favor but before the CDs were released.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 09:46:43 PM »

When Carl is asked in that 1989 interview about PS, I believe the interviewer is referencing the first *CD* release of PS. It had already been released in Japan as of 1989, but didn't get the big main worldwide/US release on CD until 1990.

But I don't know if PS was completely out of print in 1989. I recall buying a brand new copy on cassette (just to have for portable listening) around 1987 or so.

I don't know when all of the Capitol stuff went out of print on vinyl in the 80s (or if it did), but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that stuff stayed in print on cassette during the period of time after vinyl fell out of favor but before the CDs were released.
I'm sure it did. It was kind of a strange time for music collecting. I recall all the fuss made about the Beatles cd's being the British albums, but you could still buy the US albums on vinyl for a couple years after that, and on cassette for quite a long time, until cassettes finally were phased out.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 10:25:37 AM »

I'm sure it did. It was kind of a strange time for music collecting. I recall all the fuss made about the Beatles cd's being the British albums, but you could still buy the US albums on vinyl for a couple years after that, and on cassette for quite a long time, until cassettes finally were phased out.

Yep, unknown to many (especially with the buzz when Apple allowed release of the US albums in CD sets in the 2000s) is that Apple allowed the US albums to stay in print (complete with later era 90s Apple logos) on cassette for years after the UK CDs came out and the catalog was "standardized." I recall seeing "new old stock" of US albums (the cassettes had blue spines) into the late 90s at record stores.

Even weirder is that Apple allowed the unique Canadian albums (e.g. "Long Tall Sally", the Canadian album with the "Second Album" style cover) to stay in print on cassette in Canada into the 90s as well.

Back to the BBs: I have all sorts of weird cassette compilations, some (but not all) of which came from vinyl counterparts. My favorite is "Golden Harmonies", which includes the "Pet Sounds" instrumental....

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 09:13:06 PM »

Yep, unknown to many (especially with the buzz when Apple allowed release of the US albums in CD sets in the 2000s) is that Apple allowed the US albums to stay in print (complete with later era 90s Apple logos) on cassette for years after the UK CDs came out and the catalog was "standardized." I recall seeing "new old stock" of US albums (the cassettes had blue spines) into the late 90s at record stores.

Even weirder is that Apple allowed the unique Canadian albums (e.g. "Long Tall Sally", the Canadian album with the "Second Album" style cover) to stay in print on cassette in Canada into the 90s as well.

Back to the BBs: I have all sorts of weird cassette compilations, some (but not all) of which came from vinyl counterparts. My favorite is "Golden Harmonies", which includes the "Pet Sounds" instrumental....
I remember seeing those cassette comps; California (And Other) Girls was one I always saw at the drug store (with the cover of BB Rarities).
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 07:57:53 AM »

It's not always easy to find even a single pic of these weird cassette comps on Google (I have the tapes still packed away somewhere, I think), but here's Golden Harmonies:

I'd love to meet the person at Capitol that thought a compilation made up of a bunch of '64 "Concert" tracks, but then with "Pet Sounds" thrown in, was a great idea.

Here's another one I had, "For All Seasons":

And another one, "Summer Dreams":

Another one simply called "The Beach Boys":

Here's another one, a Radio Shack compilation (perhaps done as part of the whole deal "Mike and Dean" had with them in the early 80s):

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 09:24:09 PM »

I've noticed lately that people are admitting to collecting cassettes. I was a late convert to cd, so I have some unusual cassette releases in my collection, including Ultimate Christmas, Summer in Paradise, Stars and Stripes, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, Orange Crate Art, and Imagination. I've also got the 1972 CATP/PS release on a double play cassette.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 06:59:57 AM »

I've noticed lately that people are admitting to collecting cassettes. I was a late convert to cd, so I have some unusual cassette releases in my collection, including Ultimate Christmas, Summer in Paradise, Stars and Stripes, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, Orange Crate Art, and Imagination. I've also got the 1972 CATP/PS release on a double play cassette.

Yeah, cassettes are the new trendy, indie, hipster thing. Indie bands *today* are releasing their albums on cassette, and in some cases putting exclusive stuff onto cassettes. Cut to a bunch of people confusingly trying to track down a cassette player.

I've never been shy about buying cassettes over the years. I never "collected" them so much as basically bought "portable/on the go" listening copies of stuff.

Vinyl has turned into a trendy thing that has little to do with sonic quality, and certainly cassettes fall even more into this category.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx