gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:51:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jasper Dailey  (Read 4563 times)
Mark Hill
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2017, 11:06:49 PM »

Hi, im new here, i found this place by looking info about Jasper. Jasper was a friend of mine, he was a guy that had a hobby of taking pictures. But his hobby turned into a profession. I meet Jasper as he was a member of The Academy of Country Music, i worked on the Award show and Jasper for a long time was its only Photographer. I had been to his house several times to go throw pics. He told me he used to take Pics of BB, i thought he was crazy. But he showed me all of his pictures and played a tape he had of his song. I thought it was very corny, but the song stuck in my head.  He has such a history of music in his pics, being that he used to go to 4 or 5 studios and take pics during sessions.

He had at least 200,000 pics of artist from his studio days, and when he worked for Smothers Brothers. Jasper just got into places easy he was such an unassuming guy, that he would show up at a event and you would just say ow hi Jasper and let him in. I used to work a lot of concerts in LA area so i would always see him at shows like Jerry Lee Lewis, Hank Jr, The Judds, Alabama, and on and on.

I was overseas working on a movie when he died so i did not get to go to his funeral. I was trying to reach his son to see what happened to all his photos, that would be a treasure for Getty Photo service. Jasper had photo credit in a lot of Biography books that included his pics.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »

Hello Mark, and welcome! It's great that you shared a friendship with Jasper and had the opportunity to view his photos of those classic studios and sessions. I think many fans here, specifically of the years 1966-67 and the Smile era when Brian recorded Jasper at Western, hold Jasper and his work in very high regard. His photos of Brian, the Boys, and the musicians working in the various studios like Western and Gold Star are on many fans' "Holy Grail" lists as far as getting a chance to see more of Jasper's photos, or at least have them presented in a cohesive and respectful manner. His photos literally captured a magic era in terms of the LA studio scene and the musicians at work such as Brian Wilson and everyone else involved. In terms of documenting those sessions, it was Jasper and Guy Webster clicking the most on the Beach Boys' activity, and fortunately Guy has been doing appearances and exhibits along with publishing collections of his work related to those musicians. We need a collection of Jasper's work too - It's long overdue.

There is much to talk about and discuss! I had a question for you: Do you recall approximately how many photos of the Beach Boys, especially 66-67, Jasper still had in his collection and also if he mentioned whether anyone other than Brian Wilson ever put him in front of a studio mic to cut some tracks? There are those photos of Jasper at Western in front of a mic holding a lyric sheet which has been reproduced elsewhere but which probably most cohesively appeared in Domenic Priore's LLVS book along with other materials from the "Teeter Totter Love" session, including one of Jasper's business cards. Have you seen that book?

I will say that as a fan, one of the more disappointing issues for me for decades has been the seeming lack of wanting to make more of Jasper's photos public, or present them in a collection such as an archive or even a hardcover book that would honor his work. In the Beach Boys fan universe, Jasper's photos have leaked out in dribs and drabs, spread across numerous "official" projects like box sets and other publications like tour programs or the Priore book (now out of print).

Roughly 2003 or so, there was a seller offering these deluxe "portfolios" of Jasper's photos in different sets with different Smile era shots, but it turned into a mess where I believe I have only ever heard of one person who paid for and actually received these items, and they were beset by sub-par product quality and other issues. Since then...nothing. That to me is a shame. But we also live in a fan universe where there exists roughly 45 minutes or so of Brian and the Boys recording Good Vibrations at Western and Columbia, and thus far only fans who paid to attend a UK fan convention had the opportunity to see that footage. Why that is restricted to attendees of a private, non-official fan gathering and isn't made available for all fans to see is beyond me, but such is the world of being a Beach Boys fan.

The fact that Jasper himself had those several hundred thousand images in his own possession is a hopeful thing, and I hope contact can be made with his family to facilitate an official release of some kind so we all can see them. They are perhaps the most definitive fly-on-the-wall evidence and historical material available from those sessions and studios, yet for decades they have only leaked out piecemeal unless a private collector had prints or copies.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 06:00:01 AM »

Really cool, do you know what happened to Jasper's collection?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 07:10:16 AM »

Hi, im new here, i found this place by looking info about Jasper. Jasper was a friend of mine, he was a guy that had a hobby of taking pictures. But his hobby turned into a profession. I meet Jasper as he was a member of The Academy of Country Music, i worked on the Award show and Jasper for a long time was its only Photographer. I had been to his house several times to go throw pics. He told me he used to take Pics of BB, i thought he was crazy. But he showed me all of his pictures and played a tape he had of his song. I thought it was very corny, but the song stuck in my head.  He has such a history of music in his pics, being that he used to go to 4 or 5 studios and take pics during sessions.

He had at least 200,000 pics of artist from his studio days, and when he worked for Smothers Brothers. Jasper just got into places easy he was such an unassuming guy, that he would show up at a event and you would just say ow hi Jasper and let him in. I used to work a lot of concerts in LA area so i would always see him at shows like Jerry Lee Lewis, Hank Jr, The Judds, Alabama, and on and on.

I was overseas working on a movie when he died so i did not get to go to his funeral. I was trying to reach his son to see what happened to all his photos, that would be a treasure for Getty Photo service. Jasper had photo credit in a lot of Biography books that included his pics.

Do you remember what the song was?  I am wondering if it is Teeter Totter Love which is on the SMiLE box set, or another song.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 04:35:14 PM »

WTF....
http://beachboys.boards.net/thread/1300/jasper-dailey-photos?page=1&scrollTo=22207

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 11:38:35 PM »

With respect to the Dailey Beach Boys photos, my adult children owned the print rights and David Leaf now owns all other rights. My kids had no desire to deal with the print rights, so they legally gave them back to me. Jasper sold all rights to me in 1978. David and I own complete sets of negatives and we have allowed them to be used in a few projects the last decade. The person who sold prints in 2003 is no longer authorized to do so.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 11:40:54 PM by Peter Reum » Logged

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 01:44:13 AM »

Anyone can read any thread as a guest. No need for "spies".  Roll Eyes
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 08:15:02 AM »

Yeah but if he didn't write it that way this place wouldn't sound like fucking Alcatraz which goes against the narrative for some over there.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 08:53:02 AM »

Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention, but that event must have been relatively low-key, as I hadn't even heard they had screened a full 45 minutes of GV footage (and thus, I wasn't aware they had confirmed therefore that the footage came to at least 45 minutes.)

I'm not surprised they haven't found a venue to release that much silent, raw footage. But I also don't think it's out of line to point out how BRI hasn't appeared in the past to be prime movers behind finding a way to release it, and instead it's relegated to a one-time showing to a small group of fans, in the UK apparently.

I think BRI should commission a cool film project around the GV footage. Incorporate most of the footage, sync some stuff when/if available, and make a nice, art house film project out of it where band members and scholars and commentators are interviewed in between the footage, and while the footage runs. Essentially turn it into a real-life, non-horror version of "The Blair Witch Project." "We found this can of film footage, and we're presenting it here....."

As for the "Smile" photos, has nobody (besides the sketchy early 2000s attempt) tried to put together a nice book and license the photos? Has nobody approached the copyright holder? No publishers? Or does no publisher know enough about it to ask?

Forget expensive large prints. Just compile everything (or most of it anyway) into a nice $50-$100 book (no Genesis Publications $500 book BS), and get some BB scholars/writers to throw down some commentary to go along with it.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:55:54 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 09:07:16 AM »

I'm not surprised they haven't found a venue to release that much silent, raw footage. But I also don't think it's out of line to point out how BRI hasn't appeared in the past to be prime movers behind finding a way to release it, and instead it's relegated to a one-time showing to a small group of fans, in the UK apparently.

Yeah, it's not out of line at all. It's merely a guy with a little researcher title making mountains out of molehills, probably happy that some on that site actually thought this was a big deal too. Must have been a real slow day for Andrew's "spies", and Andrew for even taking the time to respond so emotionally to this trivial comment made by Guitarfool.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 09:31:04 AM »

He needs to worry about that Fred Groman guy. LOL

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 10:10:49 AM »

My spies have told me that he's tapped AGDs microwave. Grin
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:11:37 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 10:24:10 AM »

No bagel bites or hot pockets tonight! LOL

Mark Hill
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 11:27:40 PM »

With respect to the Dailey Beach Boys photos, my adult children owned the print rights and David Leaf now owns all other rights. My kids had no desire to deal with the print rights, so they legally gave them back to me. Jasper sold all rights to me in 1978. David and I own complete sets of negatives and we have allowed them to be used in a few projects the last decade. The person who sold prints in 2003 is no longer authorized to do so.

Ow that's nice, so you own all the pics he has or just Beach Boys stuff. Maybe you should make a deal with Getty Photo service to manage them for you, you will get a percentage of each Photo Licensed. It's a sham they just sitting around and no one can see them.
Mark Hill
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 11:30:23 PM »

Do you remember what the song was?  I am wondering if it is Teeter Totter Love which is on the SMiLE box set, or another song.
  Yes it was TTL
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 12:42:23 AM »

At this point, I am not in the need of further exposure of the Dailey photos, nor is David. Personally, I prefer to respond to requests for use myself. Getty is not really necessary for future use of those photos. But, I thank you for the suggestion. Smiley

If it runs amuck, call the duck
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx